Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

:argh:

edit: This game has been pretty cool though. It's only 1082, but the Kingdom of Jerusalem already exists, largely thanks to the Templars who singlehandedly won the crusade Pope Alexander II called. So what did the pope do? Award the KoJ to the order! So now the KoJ's a cool mix of holy order and secular kingdom. Wonder how that'll mess up the game.

France is now an elective kingdom thanks to Duke William the Bastard (who lost his bid for England, but just conquered France instead).

Egypt got eaten by the Bulgarian Band.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

I can't tell if it's programmed on purpose of it's just confirmation bias talking, but it really seems like the kids with Genius are more likely to be Sickly too.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

duralict posted:

I can't tell if it's programmed on purpose of it's just confirmation bias talking, but it really seems like the kids with Genius are more likely to be Sickly too.

I have never ever had a genius sickly child and I've done a lot of save scumming in my day.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mailer posted:

The painful hit isn't to big realms, it's to realms outside of de jure borders. When Torrannor mentioned this it explained why all my levies suddenly vanished in both games. You can be a huge superpower realm still (like early-blobbing France) as long as you stay within the glowing lines. I guess it's great at keeping blobs from gobbling up realms piecemeal and the extra hit makes rulers better targets for disgruntled small vassals.

It's entirely possible that the only way I want to play (single province->expand forever) isn't how the majority plays, since people seem to like the changes.

Wait, wouldn't that mean it's possible to utterly break the game by sticking to a single Kingdom and de Jure-drifting a whole bunch of duchies to it? That sounds truly asinine as a "fix" to blobs.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Hahaha, seriously guys. This Elective Kingdom of France is hilarious to watch. Every 5 years or so either the de Normandies, Capets, or de Bourgognes will declare a civil war and take the crown from the other guy. It's been like this for decades.

edit: Also check out Grandmaster King Badass of Jerusalem

See his Queen (I kind of want to rename her Sheba :v:)? She's also the mother of the nubian King of Makubia. This game is so off the rails it's awesome. :allears:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 21, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Am I wrong or is SoA unavailable to purchase off Amazon?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Excelzior posted:

Wait, wouldn't that mean it's possible to utterly break the game by sticking to a single Kingdom and de Jure-drifting a whole bunch of duchies to it? That sounds truly asinine as a "fix" to blobs.

De Jure drifting takes 100 years in Vanilla and I think the duchy in question has to be contiguous to existing de Jure territory, so I suspect the devs don't see that as a problem.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

duralict posted:

"My son is smart but gets ahead of himself- he wants to not only drink water... but boil it first! He washes his hands for some strange reason and refuses medical treatment saying that our surgeons are more dangerous than whatever wounds he has- best to hold him down and keep him healthy."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Just got back into this game after the 2.0 patch (though I'm waiting for one of those nifty 75% off sales to get SoA), and started a Rurikovitch game. I expanded, declared myself King of Gardariki, fun times. But then Rurik died...

This loving sucks!! For the last three rulers I've had since Rurik died, each king's rule has just been an endless sucession of claimant and independence wars. I am literally unable to do anything else besides march around and kill my own vassals constantly, with no more than three months of peace to recover before the next civil war.

Aaaghh.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Excelzior posted:

France did exactly that in one of my games that was originally an old pre-2.0 save. The patch made them a superpower. If you started a new game on 2.0 I don't think kingdoms could expand fast enough for it to really matter.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I don't know if this is a bug or not but when you're plotting to kill someone and all of the drunken idiots you invited to take part blab about it you get a -200 malus for each one. I'm at -600 with this duke because people won't stop telling him how much I want him to fall on a knife.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

StashAugustine posted:

The problem with creating antipopes is they never go away, I suspect the AI will go back to default once Paradox figures out a way to make them more reasonable. At least the beta fixes the bug where they won't go away even if you press their claim.

I had a great antipope moment. I got an antipope and immediately invaded Rome and installed him. The old pope held a part of my town, so he became an antipope for me. So both the pope and the antipope had a +100 opinion of me, but sadly I had to rid myself of that antipope because having a vassalized antipope means he is automatically your religious head. Not much point to installing my guy if I can't use him to invade people and get claims.

To get rid of him, I had to imprison and then banish him. That eliminated his title and ended the antipope's claims.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

And now Grandmaster King Baldwin the Black of Jerusalem (who's just as awesome as his dad) is fighting against an invasion launched by the Swiss Company.

Wiz really did something to the AI. :allears:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

RE: Antipopes. Someone please tell me what the gently caress.

The Arnold from the tooltip is, I think, the Holy Roman Emperor, but that Antipope you see currently in place is from France. And most of my bishop vassals like me more than Arnold anyway. So, yeah, what the gently caress? Where's my money?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

DrSunshine posted:

Just got back into this game after the 2.0 patch (though I'm waiting for one of those nifty 75% off sales to get SoA), and started a Rurikovitch game. I expanded, declared myself King of Gardariki, fun times. But then Rurik died...

This loving sucks!! For the last three rulers I've had since Rurik died, each king's rule has just been an endless sucession of claimant and independence wars. I am literally unable to do anything else besides march around and kill my own vassals constantly, with no more than three months of peace to recover before the next civil war.

Aaaghh.

Revoke. Take all of their titles. The penalty for being over your limit is really minor compared to actually having vassals at the moment.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is claim fabrication broken? I'm trying to steal Rome and my guy has been sitting there for 10 years and nothing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Is claim fabrication broken? I'm trying to steal Rome and my guy has been sitting there for 10 years and nothing.

Try moving him to someone else's province. The person controlling the province you're trying to fabricate claims on has a chance of getting an event where he discovers your chancellor's activities and has the option to bribe the chancellor, which secretly blocks you from fabricating claims on that province for a fair chunk of years and doesn't give you any indication that this happened.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Even with the levy nerf I am still yearning to play but I really don't want to start a new game only to deal with all the crazy weirdness that Catholic nations, anti-popes, and event troops are causing. Hopefully the hotfixes come quick. I'm eager to reform a new Roman Empire with the new gameplay stuff, even greater than my last!

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 21, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Jay Rust posted:

RE: Antipopes. Someone please tell me what the gently caress.

The Arnold from the tooltip is, I think, the Holy Roman Emperor, but that Antipope you see currently in place is from France. And most of my bishop vassals like me more than Arnold anyway. So, yeah, what the gently caress? Where's my money?

(Anti-)popes get a different name when they ... take office (whatever, can't think of the phrase). Maybe Arnold was the bishop's name before that and the tooltip's just not updated?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

brb buying Sons of Abraham

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Allyn posted:

(Anti-)popes get a different name when they ... take office (whatever, can't think of the phrase). Maybe Arnold was the bishop's name before that and the tooltip's just not updated?

Hmm, good thinking.

Well, I checked, and the current antipope is not Zealous, while Arnold the Holy Roman Emperor is, so I'm super confident that the tooltip is referring to the HRE. But besides, my bishops apparently like me more, but still refuse to give me their dough.

And "Arnold" isn't a very French name!

EDIT: I reloaded and it's seemed to have fixed itself. The Religion panel now shows my bishops' opinions of both me and the real Pope. That also explains why they haven't given me their gold and levies, as they actually mostly preferred the Pope, but before it wouldn't show me that.

So, yeah, when in doubt, reload.

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 21, 2013

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Even with the levy nerf I am still yearning to play but I really don't want to start a new game only to deal with all the crazy weirdness that Catholic nations, anti-popes, and event troops are causing. Hopefully the hotfixes come quick. I'm eager to reform a new Roman Empire with the new gameplay stuff, even greater than my last!
There's a beta patch that fixes most of the issues. It should be released as a hotfix on Friday if all goes well they said.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So what happens when a pope and antipope collide?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jay Rust posted:

And "Arnold" isn't a very French name!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_of_Soissons

:smug:

e; did SoA up lifespans? I'm seeing a lot more old folks around, which is a pain in my rear end because I'm waiting for some Caliph to die so I can pounce on the Holy Land in the inevitable succession crisis :argh:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 21, 2013

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnoult_de_Soissons

:smugbert:

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_of_Soissons

:smug:

e; did SoA up lifespans? I'm seeing a lot more old folks around, which is a pain in my rear end because I'm waiting for some Caliph to die so I can pounce on the Holy Land in the inevitable succession crisis :argh:

I had a cardinal with a very decent chance of making the College of Cardinals but I decided not to invest in him because he was already 77 years old. He outlived the other two cardinals I already had in the College, dying at age 93.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Goddammit, I was hoping I would be able to resist buying SoA for a while, but everything I've heard about it so far has finally pushed me over the edge.

Now to turn Germany into a Cathar wunderland.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Oh, so Jews can't go on pilgrimage? And they can only celebrate passover one? Are these bugs? Also, are they supposed to just get totally flattened every time by Cumania, even when they have more men because horse archers? No idea how you'd even start trying to restore Israel in an Ironman game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Quick question, if I'm using a multi-monitor setup, the mouse cursor doesn't get trapped to the game window properly. Any way to fix this with the game options? Or anyone know a good program to take care of this?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh, so Jews can't go on pilgrimage? And they can only celebrate passover one? Are these bugs? Also, are they supposed to just get totally flattened every time by Cumania, even when they have more men because horse archers? No idea how you'd even start trying to restore Israel in an Ironman game.

I always got crushed by the Pecheng really. Except one game where the Pecheng and Cumans were at war with each other. In that one I got a rebellion larger than my full levies plus my event troops.

Note that you don't have to start as the Khazars, you can just play a leader in a stronger position, get Jerusalem, and then get your heir to religion-shift.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

O, I die, Horatio :negative:

ThomasPaine posted:

Don't know about the first. Passover can only be celebrated once every five years, presumably to cut down on micro. My plan for taking Israel was to start in 867 as Crete - I've built the island up spectacularly, and when the aforesaid old fart died and civil war did indeed break out, I pounced and took Ascalon without much trouble. Three years later the new Basileous in Constantinople came down and shoved like 30,000 men up my tender rear end in a top hat, and even with mercs I could only get about 7,600 together. Still, I suspect with some luck that's probably a viable method, I'll be able to try again next time things go nuts in that region.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples
The 867 Khazaria start isn't TOO luck-dependent. The only thing that can gently caress you over beyond hope of recovery is if the Magyars can't form Hungary (rebellious Pecs :argh:) and attack you instead with 15000 dudes. If you manage to avoid that, the key is basically just hiding your army from the Cumans/Yagubids/Pechenegs while you save enough money to get mercs.

Protip: the duke of Alania is Orthodox and hates you, but he has a lot of Jewish courtiers who hate him. Assassinate him and his toddler-aged kids and you inherit his demense and a decent amount of money. You can get Medium Crown Authority very easily and use it to revoke the miscellaneous Orthodox counts in Alania.

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
I don't know why I keep playing this game when I don't understand it at all. Just lost a battle where I had 3500 full morale Norse troops against 1200 of the eastern German pagans. On very easy. I just don't get it. That's borderline historically impossible. My leader has a martial of like 24 also, and had a lot of troops in the type that was his 'specialty' so I don't understand how battles are determined even remotely. Is there something really simple that I'm missing or are battles really just that RNG dependent that the game has screwed me in pretty much the same way every single time I've tried to play it?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Kaidyn posted:

I don't know why I keep playing this game when I don't understand it at all. Just lost a battle where I had 3500 full morale Norse troops against 1200 of the eastern German pagans. On very easy. I just don't get it. That's borderline historically impossible. My leader has a martial of like 24 also, and had a lot of troops in the type that was his 'specialty' so I don't understand how battles are determined even remotely. Is there something really simple that I'm missing or are battles really just that RNG dependent that the game has screwed me in pretty much the same way every single time I've tried to play it?

Terrain?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Another quick question, I saw this in the patch notes:

quote:

- Traits blocking inheritance no longer apply for Temple titles

Does that mean that giving your sons a Temple while under Gavelkind means they'll still get their share of stuff?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kaidyn posted:

You got the special copy of the game where you can't win battles because of hidden arbitrary factors. Sucks to be you.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Does that mean that giving your sons a Temple while under Gavelkind means they'll still get their share of stuff?

I assume it means stuff like Eunuch and Monk etc.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Kaidyn posted:

You say "your leader", did you only have a single flank? The latest patch increased the penalty you get when outflanked.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
So do the Sephardic and Ashkenazi cultures not get cultural retinues or unique cultural units at all?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Kaidyn posted:

Some of the different flavours of pagan get huge defensive bonuses in their home territory, so if you were attacking one of them on their own turf where they had a significant terrain bonus and a good commander it's not unlikely that your much larger force would be crushed. Also, they've apparently brought in bottlenecks which give insane defence bonuses but I haven't come across one yet, so if it was also one them that would also contribute. You also have to consider army makeup - I assume if you're Norse you're mostly Heavy Infantry, so if you're fighting a force with a lot of cavalry you're at an instant disadvantage (this seems unlikely if you're facing baltic pagans though). And yeah, because it is based on a RNG, you do sometimes just get crazy lucky/unlucky. It's frustrating but it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It sounds like it means that traits which can block inheritance don't block it for temple titles. So, a disinherited monk can still end up leading the Knights Templar when the former Grandmaster kicks the bucket.

• Locked thread