Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

kitten smoothie posted:

For what it's worth, maybe it's something specific my company's device policy, but the trusted devices feature doesn't work for me if I've got my company Exchange account linked to the phone (and neither does the nifty gesture to open the camera). I broke down and bought Touchdown instead, rather than let the device policy take the whole phone over.

Yeah, I read something about that somewhere.

Thankfully, I don't work for The Man, so I don't have to deal with Exchange stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

I understand what the differences are, I was wondering specifically why Thermopyle was considering it. We odd Nexus release schedule users gotta stick together.

My coworker has a Nexus 5 and I've played around with it. I have a Nexus 7 2013 (and formally a 2012) as well as a Nexus 10. I've been using Kit Kat on them alongside 4.2.2 on my MAXX.

I can tell you, unequivocally, that if I were not on Verizon right now, I would be on an X and not a Nexus 5.

First, let's get the obvious out of the way. The Nexus 5 is a fantastic value. What you get for the money is unequaled. It is very hard to argue against if you aren't using a subsudy.

That said, here's my opinion on the Motos.

Every single change Motorola has made to stock Android is for the better user experience. There's not a single change that I have felt the need to back out or try to replace with a more "stock" like experience. The active notifications are hard to live without once you are used to it. Even the simple act of taking it out of your pocket and not having to hit power to wake it up and then unlock sounds trivial, but it's one of those touches you use over and over every interaction with the phone. I actually get annoyed with my tablets that they don't light up to greet me with I pick them up now and I have to fish for the power button.

Polish in general with the OS is just better. I have never owned a more stable device than this MAXX. Never. Both of my Nexus tablets went through their rebooting randomly stages until various combination of updates fixed it. I can tolerate that with a tablet. Not with my phone. Not with my primary communication device. I haven't had my MAXX reset on me, I haven't had to do a hard reboot, I haven't even had it stutter.

More on the polish front, Motorola is not shying away from backporting features into earlier versions of the OS. As was already mentioned, bluetooth LE is functional in 4.2.2 even though that's supposed to be strictly a 4.3 feature. TRIM is also functional on the 4.2.2 devices and is actually superior to the AOSP implementation by virtue of having TRIM on delete (through a function of the filesystem) rather than TRIM on idle. The storage subsystem on any of the 2013 Motos will recover quicker than ANY nexus device when used near capacity.

So, those were 4.3 features that made it into their 4.2.2 ROM, features that had to have been programmed in before 4.3 was actually finished. I have no doubt in my mind that the 4.4 ROM probably has future android under-the-hood features that aren't in AOSP yet. Not being part of the Nexus program actually gives them that freedom. Not being the maintainers of the source that everyone uses means they don't have to make sure a feature works perfectly across all devices and can implement it faster. Right now, Moto has a single hardware target to hit with their 2013 models. It allows them to hit a level of optimization that not even Google can do with the Nexus line.

Now, technically any OEM has that freedom as well, but Motorola is obviously exercising restraint here. They have approached these phones from the perspective of "How can we make the user experience better" not "how many bullet points can we put on a spec sheet." The before mentioned TRIM addition is a great example of that. You don't see them advertising that anywhere. 98% of people out there wouldn't even know what that means. However, everyone has experienced their phone slowing down through prolonged use and these Moto devices will never experience that.

The only remaining thing that was hugely in the Nexus favor was "update speed." Well, Motorola just shattered that this week. 4.4 went out before the GPE devices got it (HTC has even said that they have delivered it to Google and it's in their hands). 4.4 even went out before most Nexus 4 owners got it. What they did this week was huge and it changed the landscape dramatically.

Once the Moto G hits, it's probably going to be harder to recommend a Nexus 5. We obviously need to wait for some reviews, but if Kit Kat really is optimized for lower power devices, it's going to be hard to justify almost double the price for LTE and top end processors if the G is solid.

Motorola has been very disruptive this year, and this is their first "post Google" attempt. It bodes well for the future.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

Speaking of which, anyone used those Nokia chargers with a Droid Maxx and can offer any insight as to whether the phone lines up well with the charger coil?

I'll have to try out my co-worker's one he got for his Nexus 5. I would have grabbed one too (to make the discount deeper) to keep on my desk at work, but they only had one at the AT&T store across the street from my office.

It should probably be better than the LG charger since it's long and skinny and the MAXX's charging coil is near the top right under the camera. That said, the last update's addition of the alignment icons on the screen should make it a non issue.

I love my Tylt Vu though. It works perfectly with the MAXX, I just drop it on and forget it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Now I just wish they had a wider variety of devices on other carriers.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I agree with all of this but I was more just asking since Thermopyle's a longtimer in the Nexus game and I really like hearing his thought processes on things.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
If the Moto X had wireless charging it would have been a much more difficult decision for me. The nicest thing is Motorola is focused on making the device more usable instead of making it do more useless poo poo.

It also looks like people are selling OEM backs for it on eBay so you can get the color you want without the carrier logo.

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--

hooah posted:

Is the LG the one that doesn't work well with the N4, or is that the Nokia one? I'm thinking of doing this (eventually). Also, would it work with the charger's cover put back on?

It probably works fine with the N4, it came out around the time the N4 did or a little later. It was the Nokia chargers that didn't work very well with the first batch of Nexus 4's. Supposedly some subsequent revision to the N4 fixed the compatibility problems.

I don't think you can get the cover on the dock I "made". The top case of the charger is on the bottom of my dock, used to hold the components to the car dock's magnet. So the only cover I have left is the bottom of the LG charger, which has some plastic on the inside to align everything, so it would create too much space between the charger's coil and the phone's coil.

Also if you bought a second charger for the casing, you wouldn't easily put it on my dock since the screws are installed backwards. But who knows maybe someone can figure out a better way to do all this.

Someone else made their own car dock with the same charger in a different way:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2531754

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
Today my new Galaxy S4 arrived. This is my first non-motorola smart phone. I must say, I find the adjustment to the Samsung keyboard almost nauseating. My old motorola phones were pretty reliable with auto correct. if I accidentally typed 'tge', it would change it to "the" and the like. My s4 does none of this. Not only that, but the letters on the keyboard seem to be significantly smaller than the Motorola counterpart. I am also not a fan of the numbers being included on the default board.

With all that said, is there a way I can change the S4 keyboard to be mroe like my old bionic & Razr? Both in layout and auto-correct?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I don't care about phones as much as I used to
Hand in your star, mister. :mad:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sypher posted:

Today my new Galaxy S4 arrived. This is my first non-motorola smart phone. I must say, I find the adjustment to the Samsung keyboard almost nauseating. My old motorola phones were pretty reliable with auto correct. if I accidentally typed 'tge', it would change it to "the" and the like. My s4 does none of this. Not only that, but the letters on the keyboard seem to be significantly smaller than the Motorola counterpart. I am also not a fan of the numbers being included on the default board.

With all that said, is there a way I can change the S4 keyboard to be mroe like my old bionic & Razr? Both in layout and auto-correct?

Just download the google keyboard from the market.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sypher posted:

I agree, the stock Samsung keyboard kinda sucks. Luckily, you can just download the official google one for free, which works way better.

You could also download swiftkey, and never look back. Your call!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

I agree with all of this, i can't wait for the next version of the Moto X (hopefully with a really good camera). Google Now has been an amazing experience and i do so much poo poo with google now voice commands it makes me use my phone LESS which is a great thing. It's great sending texts, making calls, and looking poo poo up on google search without ever having to open up and fumble around with applications, it saves so much time and this is on an HTC One. On a Moto X? poo poo, i don't even have to turn on the phone, unlock the phone, and open up google now, i can do it with my phone on my desk and not even look at it. That's the future of smartphones/computing. If the Moto X came out at the same time as the HTC One, i might have sprung for the moto x.

Between voice commands and a select few widgets, i'm using my phone far less than an average smartphone user which is fantastic.

Edit: Actually with the snapdragon 800 and newer chips, i'm hoping this always listening mode functionality will be ubiquitous and i don't HAVE to get the next moto if there are better phones in other areas.

Edit 2: gently caress this, i just realized that i use google now so much i'm just going to put that on my lock screen to skip a couple more steps.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 21, 2013

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
Oh my. I had no idea that Motorola just used default Google keyboard. You guys are my heros. Thank you very much!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sypher posted:

Oh my. I had no idea that Motorola just used default Google keyboard. You guys are my heros. Thank you very much!

What phone were you coming from? I know Motorola phones stuck on 2.x used a custom keyboard made by motorola, but anything on 4.x they switched to stock google.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What phone were you coming from? I know Motorola phones stuck on 2.x used a custom keyboard made by motorola, but anything on 4.x they switched to stock google.

He said Bionic and Razr so they would have switched to the stock google keyboard with their Jellybean updates.

Even before that though, the "motorola" keyboard was VERY similar to AOSP.

Mister Fister posted:

Google Now has been an amazing experience and i do so much poo poo with google now voice commands it makes me use my phone LESS which is a great thing.

The ONLY issue I have with the voice activation stuff on my MAXX is that, when in driving mode, it will prioritize your contact list over Google search to a fault. It sort of intercepts all "Call" requests and funnels them through a different call recognition than normal Google Now. Normally, this is what you would want, but every now and again you'll want to voice dial a business while driving. This is especially true if I stop at a shopping center on the way home and want to order takeout, but my phone hasn't recognized that I've stopped driving yet. I'll either have to manually exit driving mode or go straight to Google now rather than doing it completely touchless.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Hadlock posted:

Is my N5 just screwed up or did Google really put the USB port on backwards on this phone :psyduck:
My N5 has never had a USB cord plugged into it. Which way is it supposed to be?

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I had the original moto Droid -> Droid Bionic -> Droid Razr.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Robpol86 posted:

It probably works fine with the N4, it came out around the time the N4 did or a little later. It was the Nokia chargers that didn't work very well with the first batch of Nexus 4's. Supposedly some subsequent revision to the N4 fixed the compatibility problems.

I don't think you can get the cover on the dock I "made". The top case of the charger is on the bottom of my dock, used to hold the components to the car dock's magnet. So the only cover I have left is the bottom of the LG charger, which has some plastic on the inside to align everything, so it would create too much space between the charger's coil and the phone's coil.

Also if you bought a second charger for the casing, you wouldn't easily put it on my dock since the screws are installed backwards. But who knows maybe someone can figure out a better way to do all this.

Someone else made their own car dock with the same charger in a different way:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2531754

I have a launch N4 and a Nokia charger. It works in 2 second bursts. As long as the screen doesn't get stuck on, it will charge the battery. I can't really recommend it because it's so spotty; however, I have nothing else to compare it to.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Last week my phone (2010 Evo 4G) got wet and I tried the rice in a bag trick. Since then I've had an "SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem" error. I've tried formatting the card and using some compressed air to no avail.

If I'm lacking both another phone and another SD card to test with, is there an easy way to tell if the problem is with the phone's SD port or the card itself? Obviously, I'd rather pick up another SD card than replace the whole phone, but I don't want to waste money on a card if that's not going to solve the problem.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Does anyone have a suggestion for a bluetooth device that can go on my keychain or in my wallet so I can pair it as a trusted device?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

My coworker...the future.
Despite not having any play time with an X, I agree with all of that. If there is something that is going to draw me away from the Nexus line, it's going to be the X2. I've considered trying to swap my N5 straight across for an X, but not quite ready to do that. The next gen device, if it has better cross-carrier compatibility and comes down in price some, will probably do me in.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If the Moto X had wireless charging it would have been a much more difficult decision for me. The nicest thing is Motorola is focused on making the device more usable instead of making it do more useless poo poo.
(And that)

And as an aside, what does "driving mode" actually do?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 21, 2013

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hey guys stop mashing your update button to try to get OTA updates faster:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1r1dz4/44_kitkat_has_started_rolling_out_on_the_n4/cdiwt6f

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

kitten smoothie posted:

Speaking of which, anyone used those Nokia chargers with a Droid Maxx and can offer any insight as to whether the phone lines up well with the charger coil?

I am pretty sick of the lovely Chinese charger I bought for the office, and with the Nokias being 3 for $55 on AT&T's site (or at least they were, last I checked), it seems like not a bad time to replace it.

For what it's worth, maybe it's something specific my company's device policy, but the trusted devices feature doesn't work for me if I've got my company Exchange account linked to the phone (and neither does the nifty gesture to open the camera). I broke down and bought Touchdown instead, rather than let the device policy take the whole phone over.

The voice commands don't work if the phone's locked, and I like having the voice commands in the car, so I really want the trusted unlock feature so I have no passcode to deal with if I'm driving.

I'm in the same boat as you. The always on stuff is neat, but my phone is pin locked due to exchange and it breaks the gently caress out of it. I can make calls, and find my phone. Thats it.. Tempted to use touchdown, but I'm IT so it feels.. rude?

As for the chargers, I got on the 3 for 55 deal. Its sweet. I don't have many issues lining up the phone. Sometimes I have to go for a 2nd attempt, but its pretty easy to hit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilkhan posted:

The way that it isn't.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

USB symbol pointing up. As is the case with pretty much all consumer electronics designed since the invention of the USB spec.

I use almost exclusively Samsung U9 micro usb cables* which have an asymetrical grip designed for right hand users because they don't twist, they don't wear out and they don't get tangled.

It's a real trip because now I have to plug the cable in with my left hand.

*The stock OEM cables they distribute with the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, S II, S3, S4 etc, i.e. these ones. They're fantastic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huh, that's not the cable I got with my galaxy nexus.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Huh, that's not the cable I got with my galaxy nexus.

Me neither, mine looked like this:

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a 3.5mm TRRS (4 conductor) right angle adapter? I want to use the button on my earbuds to pause and start songs while riding a bicycle. Without the right angle adapter, the 3.5mm plug bends up and down too much while pedaling.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

deong posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. The always on stuff is neat, but my phone is pin locked due to exchange and it breaks the gently caress out of it. I can make calls, and find my phone. Thats it.. Tempted to use touchdown, but I'm IT so it feels.. rude?

As for the chargers, I got on the 3 for 55 deal. Its sweet. I don't have many issues lining up the phone. Sometimes I have to go for a 2nd attempt, but its pretty easy to hit.

Consider this when looking at Touchdown, all the company data is contained within a single app that respects the device policy. It can still perform a device wipe and support the full policy (to my knowledge). I've been using Touchdown for a few years now and love it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Kreeblah posted:

So, I just got a Glass invite. Has anybody used it with a Moto X? Or, at all, really?

gently caress it. This probably isn't going to be anywhere near worth what they're charging, but I haven't gotten a drastically new toy in a while.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

WarpZealot posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 3.5mm TRRS (4 conductor) right angle adapter? I want to use the button on my earbuds to pause and start songs while riding a bicycle. Without the right angle adapter, the 3.5mm plug bends up and down too much while pedaling.

Just buy a Sony SBH-20 or Jabra Clipper bluetooth headphone adapter type thing. I recently got the former and it's a godsend for cycling.

I used to think BT audio and qi charging were really dumb, now I use and really appreciate both. Nexus 5 wireless supremacy. "Can't wear out a socket if you don't use it"™

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Ashex posted:

Consider this when looking at Touchdown, all the company data is contained within a single app that respects the device policy. It can still perform a device wipe and support the full policy (to my knowledge). I've been using Touchdown for a few years now and love it.

I was using touchdown for a few years as well. I do feel the default app is much nicer. I may go back for the lock screen though. Lock my email, not the phone.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

bull3964 posted:

Once the Moto G hits, it's probably going to be harder to recommend a Nexus 5. We obviously need to wait for some reviews, but if Kit Kat really is optimized for lower power devices, it's going to be hard to justify almost double the price for LTE and top end processors if the G is solid.
I'm picking one up this afternoon, will take questions on it/compare it to my N5.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Man all this Moto stuff makes me just want to sell my N5 now. :saddowns:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Eej posted:

Man all this Moto stuff makes me just want to sell my N5 now. :saddowns:

Me too. You guys should all work in marketing.

Seriously though the Moto G looks like a drat nice phone and I will recommend it to anyone that wants a ~200 Euro phone.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kitten smoothie posted:

AT&T Moto X soak test invites are reportedly going out, looks like they're next.

Yeah, I got mine yesterday, but I also just sold my MotoX.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Doesn't the Moto G have a crappy screen?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Hadlock posted:

USB symbol pointing up. As is the case with pretty much all consumer electronics designed since the invention of the USB spec.

I use almost exclusively Samsung U9 micro usb cables* which have an asymetrical grip designed for right hand users because they don't twist, they don't wear out and they don't get tangled.

It's a real trip because now I have to plug the cable in with my left hand.
Use the cable that came with it. There's a groove in one side and that points towards the back of the phone.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

Doesn't the Moto G have a crappy screen?

I wouldn't call 720p crappy, just budget friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I wouldn't call 720p crappy, just budget friendly.

I mean that it's not IPS. I tried using a normal LCD laptop again and the viewing angles were horrendous.

• Locked thread