Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Except Ac-orn -> Orn-ac is the same transformation from Don-guri to Guri-don. It's basically putting the first syllable last.

Yeah, but Aesir/Over-Time never were huge proponents of 1:1 translation, it just seems weird that they'd translate the name like that now rather than tweak the joke a bit.
But, whatever! It's a softsub, and it's not really a huge deal either way. It's just a nutty name. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The dumb part is that it's not a blanket decision. Kurokage wasn't localized on the grounds that they weren't sure if it was supposed to be a goofy "badass" name or not. Changing a single character's name in a huge cast while it is still airing seems both short-sighted and confusing for anyone wishing to discuss the series who may not be aware of these changes being made.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fred is on posted:

Even though I'm usually all for localization in subs, something rubs me the wrong way about outright changing character names. It's odd, too, because I totally understand why they did it, and know I wouldn't mind it as much if this were an official translation. Ah, well, I'll just roll with it. Ornac is a fantastically goofy name anyway.

And by the way the rest of Team Gaim was laughing, Guridon is equally goofy.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Potsticker posted:

The dumb part is that it's not a blanket decision. Kurokage wasn't localized on the grounds that they weren't sure if it was supposed to be a goofy "badass" name or not.

The entire deal with Gridon's name is that it is a dumb joke/anagram pun that Hase apparently thought up on the fly, and the rest of Team Gaim immediately calls him out on it ("Gridon, like 'Donguri'? :jerkbag:"). None of the other Riders encountered thus far are named after their Lockseeds, and it would be super weird having the one dude who is not actually keep the joke without "GRIDON IS AN ANAGRAM OF THE JAPANESE WORD FOR ACORN" cropping up all the time, since the Lockseed shout is subtitled Acorn Arms.

I thought it pretty odd at first too but I can't help but love the Ornac decision now.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 19, 2013

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The really important part about Ornidon isn't how you translate his name, it's how great it is to see how Jounouchi takes to the whole "Armored Rider" thing. He's so confident and in control whenever he's out of suit, but as soon as he has to actually fight for himself he has no idea what he's doing while Hase goes from dopey to pretty capable even if he isn't as good as the other Riders. I really hope at least one of the two sticks around for a while longer, and maybe if one gets killed off the other could use their Arms for a fight? That'd be interesting.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Pierre is awesome, Bravo's design is awesome, I only wish we could have gotten a reaction out of Kouta eating his cake. :( Gaim has had a great early set of episodes so far, it's great how the mindless Invess monsters have been swept under the rug for now. Every adversary has a personal motivation for fighting. It's the same reason I love the villains of W!

I'm interested in seeing where they go with all this. From the series I've watched, the final villains of Kamen Rider are usually monsters when they are separate from humans (Kabuto, Kiva, OOO, e.g.) but this looks more like it's heading towards a rider royale. The plot so far makes it difficult for Invess to be the focus of the episode since the only way to have them be threats is for someone to "accidentally" drop their lockseeds, or riders manipulating Invess with locks (and having this happen within the city would probably happen later down the line.) I'd love to see a few more designs though, the first two were neat. Although, I would not be averse if they somehow made Riders of the week. :allears:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Can Of Worms posted:

I'm interested in seeing where they go with all this. From the series I've watched, the final villains of Kamen Rider are usually monsters when they are separate from humans (Kabuto, Kiva, OOO, e.g.) but this looks more like it's heading towards a rider royale. The plot so far makes it difficult for Invess to be the focus of the episode since the only way to have them be threats is for someone to "accidentally" drop their lockseeds, or riders manipulating Invess with locks (and having this happen within the city would probably happen later down the line.) I'd love to see a few more designs though, the first two were neat. Although, I would not be averse if they somehow made Riders of the week. :allears:

It's very different because there's no Monster of The Week or even an enemy organization like usual. Instead it's focusing on the conflict between all the Riders and the overarching plot of what Yggdrasil is up to, which still hasn't been established as actually "evil".

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm loving these Nut Rider antics and sure do hope they stick around. Ornac is a clever bit of localization and joke preservation, though I can understand if people are taken aback by it, being a character name change and all.

Wasn't sure how I felt about Pierre at first, but having the flamboyant camp stereotype also be a decorated military vet and bona fide fight junkie did a lot to win me over.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Some dudes did some freeze frame dissection of the military coat with all the medals in Pierre's room. Apparently he was part of the US Armed Forces serving in both Iraq and Vietnam, was part of the French Foreign Legion, and completed one of the highest ranks of Commando training.

So basically, Pierre is a camp flamboyant stereotype who is basically the true to life depiction of the "What the gently caress did you just loving say about me" post.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I can't be the only one here who would love a Gaim fighting game. All the different riders with different weapons, it's too perfect. Maybe I'll just make some Soul Caliber characters for now.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Pierre looks like a really fun character with plenty of depth, over just a very obnoxious stereotype like the donuts dealer was in Wizard. There's not a single person on the main cast I don't like, and at first I was worried the dance club was going to pale in comparison to the Kamen Rider Club, they very quickly made it clear they are inferior, but more than made up with it by having so many fantastic riders. Love that Acorn is a calm, collected playboy until he transforms and he's suddenly a stuttering, mumbling idiot.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Flameingblack posted:

Pierre looks like a really fun character with plenty of depth, over just a very obnoxious stereotype like the donuts dealer was in Wizard. There's not a single person on the main cast I don't like, and at first I was worried the dance club was going to pale in comparison to the Kamen Rider Club, they very quickly made it clear they are inferior, but more than made up with it by having so many fantastic riders. Love that Acorn is a calm, collected playboy until he transforms and he's suddenly a stuttering, mumbling idiot.

Yeah, this season is incredible so far. You know what? Not even that, this is an incredible tv show. There are huge prime time dramas that aren't as good as this. Let's just hope it can at least stay half as good as the first few episodes.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Well, we know that Urobuchi personally penned at least the first 7 episodes. So next week's episode should be right along our expectations.

After that, though, it's anyone's guess. :shepface:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Monathin posted:

After that, though, it's anyone's guess. :shepface:

After an incredible first run, Urobuchi will start to stutter. Pressure from trying to reconcile his vision with the increasingly worried concerns from parents and his superiors will cause ratings to drop, and eventually he will be pushed off the show.

In order to salvage it, Inoue will be brought in.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Then the Urobutchi trap will be sprung and the audience will know suffering.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

TerminusEst13 posted:

I was worried given the location of the Bravo vs Kurokage/Gridon fight.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TerminusEst13 posted:

Okay look, lets not even loving joke about that, okay? RIP Hibiki, too beautiful for this ugly world.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The only way I could see that happening is if it goes Ryuki, Faiz, or Kiva levels of dark(or at least completely out of nowhere levels of dark like the Pterodactyl Yummies killing a bunch of people in OOOs which is one of the main reasons I never finished that show alongside the fact that Eiji is quite possibly the most incompetent main rider in the franchise's history)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

The only way I could see that happening is if it goes Ryuki, Faiz, or Kiva levels of dark(or at least completely out of nowhere levels of dark like the Pterodactyl Yummies killing a bunch of people in OOOs which is one of the main reasons I never finished that show alongside the fact that Eiji is quite possibly the most incompetent main rider in the franchise's history)

Hi, my name is Kamen Rider Faiz! You might not recognize me at all because I literally cannot hold onto my belt that only I and the monsters I fight can use! Now enjoy watching me lose it every other loving episode because I'm a massive loving moron.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hi, my name is Kamen Rider Faiz! You might not recognize me at all because I literally cannot hold onto my belt that only I and the monsters I fight can use! Now enjoy watching me lose it every other loving episode because I'm a massive loving moron.

Admittedly I only meant incompetence in regards towards fighting ability which is an area that Takumi is a lot better in than Eiji(at least in the series proper, by Megamax Eiji's actually become one of the more capable main riders) when he's not getting his belt stolen

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah but then he can steal one of the other belts like when he ran around as Delta for a while.

Now that I think about it, Kusaka was the only one in that series that transformed into all three Riders.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kusaka was the only one that seemed to be able to hold on to his belt.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think he lost it like once, I vaguely remember Yuji transforming into Kaixa at some point. Yuji transformed into I think Kaixa and Faiz, but never Delta, whereas Takumi was Faiz and Delta, but never Kaixa.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah, there's an episode where Kusaka and Takumi are on the run from a pair of Oprhenocs that have their belts.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That's one of my favorite things about Eiji; he has no idea how to fight but he still runs literally headfirst into the monsters.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I wonder if the fact that aside from Mitsuzane, all of the drivers were initially given to team leaders will be significant or just a bit of detail.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Watermelon Arms!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnn4qqL3A3s

And it seems that next week we'll see Baron's Mango Arms

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

That's one of my favorite things about Eiji; he has no idea how to fight but he still runs literally headfirst into the monsters.

It's good character quality but man does it make a large amount of OOO's fights unwatchable

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Perigryn posted:

Watermelon Arms!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnn4qqL3A3s

And it seems that next week we'll see Baron's Mango Arms

I don't even collect action figures but I mean, how do I pass up watermelon power armor?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Episode 7 is out.

DJ Sagara some pretty good bits in this one.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Man, those two are going to be broke as gently caress from buying lock seeds all the time. This was another good episode, though. Even if I figure we're going to be stuck into filler area soon, it's still a great show.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The filler's probably not going to happen until 12-13, since that's when they'll be pumping for Super Extremely Decisive Thank God Wizard's Over War Movie Extreme.

Also, Watermechon is great which makes me sad because I could almost hear it funneling away the show's budget the longer it showed up.

Though the commercial did show a Gyro Mode we didn't get to see used, so I imagine we'll get to see it at least once more.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
DJ Sagara working with Yggdrasil was the plot reveal I was hoping would happen! It's always great to see such eccentric characters become serious, it adds a certain uneasiness to them. I like the nice subtle touch to Bravo's costume where his left eye has a little crack to it, the first time I watched the ep I thought it was from a fight but it's part of the design since the start. The watermelon's mode of transportation cracked me up, it's so silly! I hope Pierre comes back in the future as a good guy, he's a fun character to watch and I think he has the potential for that.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Monathin posted:

The filler's probably not going to happen until 12-13, since that's when they'll be pumping for Super Extremely Decisive Thank God Wizard's Over War Movie Extreme.

Also, Watermechon is great which makes me sad because I could almost hear it funneling away the show's budget the longer it showed up.

Though the commercial did show a Gyro Mode we didn't get to see used, so I imagine we'll get to see it at least once more.

Watermelon will probably be like POWER DIZER in Fourze. To bad it won't be as awesome.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Monathin posted:

Go back to the first episode. You can see Gyro Mode being used among the armies in the intro.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

SpazmasterX posted:

Go back to the first episode. You can see Gyro Mode being used among the armies in the intro.

Well poo poo, so I can. Nice call.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SpazmasterX posted:

This is probably one of the, if not the flat out most interesting thing of the first episode for me. Lots of Watermelon Arms. Is each being controlled by a Rider? If so, that's one hell lot of Riders, in a sequence that already had five in plain sight (Team Orange with Gaim, Team Banana with Baron and Gridon, Team Melon with Zangetsu and Ryugen).

The other option is that they're being controlled from a distance somehow, which feels like it'd make more sense in this situation. I mean, if we really get that massive amount of Riders, even if they're just CGI and have very basic designs, that's leaving the Riotroopers in the dust hard.

In other news, I wonder when Micchi is going to use his own Lock Seeds. That's the second one he gives to Kouta without even trying them himself, it's getting kind of annoying. Drop your massive watermelons on yourself!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Blaze Dragon posted:

In other news, I wonder when Micchi is going to use his own Lock Seeds. That's the second one he gives to Kouta without even trying them himself, it's getting kind of annoying. Drop your massive watermelons on yourself!

They want each Rider to have their own particular seeds they use. Ryugen's next seed is Kiwi.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I didn't particularly care for the way Bravo was all slapstick by the end of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

V-Men posted:

I didn't particularly care for the way Bravo was all slapstick by the end of the episode.

He was always all slapstick, he was just the giver in the previous scenes. Dude's a giant walking Vaudeville act of a human being, the tables were just turned in the end.

• Locked thread