Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I've been hunting high and low and haven't been able to find stats for Valkyries, are they listed anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Take a chimera, drop the front and side armour a bit, make it fly.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Make it open topped too (with a possible rule exception for the pilot), what with the open doors and the need for the passengers to jump out quickly. Here's a quick mock up:

quote:

Valkyrie Gunship

Type:Skimmer/Flyer Tactical Speed:30m
Cruising Speed:290kph Manoeuvrability:+0

Structural Integrity:35 Size:Massive
Armour:Front 22, Side 22, Rear 16
Vehicle Traits:Enhanced Motive System, Open-Topped, Skimmer.
Crew:1 Pilot, 1 Co-pilot/gunner, 2 Door Gunners (Heavy Bolter Sponsons)
Carrying Capacity:12 Imperial Guardsmen plus wargear.

Weapons:
-Multi-laser (Front facing 150m; –/–/5; 2d10+10 E; Pen 2; Clip 100; Reload 2 Full; Reliable)
-Heavy Bolters (1 Right Side facing, 1 Left Side facing 150m; –/–/6; 1D10+8 X;
Pen 5; Clip 60; Reload Full; Tearing)

Options:
A Valkyrie may take one of the following:

-Wing Mounted Hunter-Killer Missiles (Front facing 350m S/2/–; 3d10+6 X; Pen 6; Clip 2; Reload N/A
-Wing Mounted Heavy Stubber Array (Front facing 100m; –/–/8; 1d10+4 I; Pen 3; Clip
200; Reload 2 Full; Storm, Twinlinked)

Special Rules:
-Armored Cockpit: The pilot a co-pilot count as being in an Enclosed vehicle rather than Open-Topped
-Due to easily accessible fastrope systems and handlebars, it is extremely easy to dismount a Valkyrie (or board, if engaging in expeditious retreat). Once per turn, the doorgunners or passengers may board, or dismount a Valkyrie as a free action. In addition, the side doors of a Valkyrie count as an abseiling point.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 14, 2013

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

goatface posted:

Take a chimera, drop the front and side armour a bit, make it fly.

We're not Orks, come on.

(But yes thats a perfectly serviceable Valkyrie, just staple some autocannons on the front/bolter sponsons on the back)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Quick question, can you take (and use) the Raptor talent in Black Crusade if you have wings but no jetpack? If so, would it still require Operate (Aeronautica)?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Ronwayne posted:

Quick question, can you take (and use) the Raptor talent in Black Crusade if you have wings but no jetpack? If so, would it still require Operate (Aeronautica)?

From what I remember from my quick skim-through of the rules, yes, you can take Raptor with just wings.

For your second question, I honestly don't have a clue - however, logic says that since wings are organic you wouldn't require a machine oriented skill.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Is there a reason why I wouldn't use full auto all the time in DH? It seems to be an almost guaranteed 2 DoS.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Is there a reason why I wouldn't use full auto all the time in DH? It seems to be an almost guaranteed 2 DoS.
No and that's why they changed it after Rogue Trader.
In Black Crusade and up, it's -10 to hit for full auto, +0 for semi-auto, +10 for single shot rather than +20/+10/+0. And they're all half actions so you don't just sit full action attacking and never move.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Just a drive-by cross-post from the Book Barn.

A small group finding out that the Emperor of Mankind is the Chaos God of Pride sounds like it might be good fodder for a game.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Talkie Toaster posted:

In Black Crusade and up, it's -10 to hit for full auto, +0 for semi-auto, +10 for single shot rather than +20/+10/+0. And they're all half actions so you don't just sit full action attacking and never move.

That makes a ton of sense. I guess my dude is going to go full on dakka and try for a heavy stubber.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, the basic DH rules make full-auto a total no brainer. It's not strictly unbalancing because basically everyone can do it, but it does tend to result in everyone just buying autoguns and poo poo and ignoring all the other weapon types (to say nothing of melee). We swapped to using one of the later system rules for combat, which is easy, because it made other choices a little more comparable.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Depends on the enemy, high toughness/armour enemies make full auto rather lovely compared to accurate weapons. If your just going up against lightly armoured humans then full auto generally solves your problems.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

kingcom posted:

compared to accurate weapons.

Seriously, in DH I'll take an accurate weapon any day, because that bonus damage is beautiful.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Talkie Toaster posted:

Ah, well it's still that way in Deathwatch, which make Devastator Marines with Heavy Bolters absolutely terrifying against Hordes.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Oh crap. Our DM sent us a fluff text as compensation for the fact that we can't have a session this week, and it seems to imply that our RT group accidentally woke up a Necron tomb by being very loud outside its door. WELP. Great job team, highly competent as always.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Try and sell them some metal polish and a shamwow.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

goatface posted:

Try and sell them some metal polish and a shamwow.

Steal one, recruit it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Steal one of the guns, sell it to an Ork and see what happens.

Tell them their monolith is no longer up to emissions standards and they'll have to pay a bonus tax.

goatface fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 19, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Paint yourself grey and try to blend in.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Honestly speaking the stealing one and recruiting it is something our group would do. Or stealing one of their guns, but no need to sell it to an Ork, we have an Ork Kommando PC and an Ork Weirdboy PC, just give it to one of them. Or more likely one of the Weirdboy's minders. Maybe to the one the Weirdboy gave a looted conversion field.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You really need a loota or a mek. Someone who'll try their hardest to make it better.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

goatface posted:

You really need a loota or a mek. Someone who'll try their hardest to make it better.

Well my Explorator/Genetor/Xenographer/horrible person is batshit insane and gives no fucks about tech-heresy and could try to do that... problem is that I haven't used any exp into improving Tech-use. On rank 5, almost 6. In my defense she is a Magos Biologis lunatic who while working with Ordo Xenos did some genesplicing with Tyranid genes. On herself. Necron guns would probably just blow up out of spite if she tried to tinker with them. Too bad our other Explorator turned traitor, now our Seneschal is the guy with the best tech-use. Maybe I have to make him a trainee enginseer or something so there's someone who can legally and competently fix our ship when it breaks down... That way I can also focus on my illegal genetic experiments.

Plus the Weirdboy has Tech-Use too! I am certain he can competently tinker with them, yep. With his sub-30 int. And no improvements on Tech-Use besides having the skill.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Convince them that you are the rightful heir to the planet and their true leader, then take them on a crusade against whoever last annoyed you.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

goatface posted:

Now I can see it in the hands of some Flash Git who put loads of bits and gubbins on it to make it way more dakka and possibly even make it shoot rokkits and other great things.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
So according to a friend of mine, it's possible to get infinite Psy Rating and infinite Armor in Black Crusade in like a minute.

Wear decent armor, have a decent toughness. Cast Regeneration. Cast Boon of Tzeentch, increasing your psy rating by degrees of success. Cast Telekinetic Shield, increasing your armor by Psy Rating. You then take d5+your psy rating armor, pen 4. This should do 1-5 damage. Cast Boon again, then again (again with 1-5 damage which you should be able to tank with your regen. If it starts to add up, wait a turn or two) to get an even higher increased Psy Rating. Cast it for a third time, then cast TK Shield again.

Keep this chain up, casting progressively more Boons of Tzeentch before casting your TK shield to boost it to a level where it can keep up with your rapidly advancing Psy Rating. After a few loops of this you should have a Psy Rating to rival the Emperor himself and Armor greater than a Warhound titan. At this point, you can save up your Psy Rating for a spell that would fell said titan. You then have to recast the latest Boon of Tzeentch chain again to pump your PR up to titanslaying levels again, but in the meantime you still have your arbitrarily high armor.

Any problems with this? I haven't read Black Crusade, but if these powers work the way he says they do it seems like it should work.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

quote:

Sustaining multiple powers is more difficult and more tiring. Any character attempting to sustain two or more powers at once must spend the longest action from the Sustain Requirements of all the powers being sustained, and reduces the effective Psy Rating for each power by the number of powers being sustained. More perilous still, the amount of energy the psyker is attempting to wield becomes unstable, swiftly going out of control at the most minor slip of concentration. Should the psyker cause Psychic Phenomena while sustaining more than one power, then he should add +10 to the result rolled on Table 6–2: Psychic Phenomena for every power after the first being sustained.

Basically, the moment you start to go into liftoff, you explode into a million Horrors.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

If Tzeentch is giving you near-infinite power, something is probably about to go utterly and horrifically wrong.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

It's not a question of right or wrong, but whether the end result is going to be hilarious.

In your case, by all means, go ahead.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Surely that doesn't come into effect at all? The only power you're sustaining is TK Shield. Each Boon is an instant action that isn't sustained at all - it just makes the next one increasingly powerful.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Doodmons posted:

So according to a friend of mine, it's possible to get infinite Psy Rating and infinite Armor in Black Crusade in like a minute.

Wear decent armor, have a decent toughness. Cast Regeneration. Cast Boon of Tzeentch, increasing your psy rating by degrees of success. Cast Telekinetic Shield, increasing your armor by Psy Rating. You then take d5+your psy rating armor, pen 4. This should do 1-5 damage. Cast Boon again, then again (again with 1-5 damage which you should be able to tank with your regen. If it starts to add up, wait a turn or two) to get an even higher increased Psy Rating. Cast it for a third time, then cast TK Shield again.

Keep this chain up, casting progressively more Boons of Tzeentch before casting your TK shield to boost it to a level where it can keep up with your rapidly advancing Psy Rating. After a few loops of this you should have a Psy Rating to rival the Emperor himself and Armor greater than a Warhound titan. At this point, you can save up your Psy Rating for a spell that would fell said titan. You then have to recast the latest Boon of Tzeentch chain again to pump your PR up to titanslaying levels again, but in the meantime you still have your arbitrarily high armor.

Any problems with this? I haven't read Black Crusade, but if these powers work the way he says they do it seems like it should work.

This is exactly what every failed Sorcerer tries.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
"Hey everyone I found a way to get infinite power from worshiping the Dark Gods." *Instantly dissolves into a Pink Horror puddle.*

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Of course, now I'm wondering what happens if Tzeentch decides to just roll with it. Maybe he shows up, claps you on the shoulder and tells you you're now all-powerful and the new God of Change, have fun fighting the three other Chaos Gods, he's going to take a vacation.

Maybe "Tzeentch" is actually a succession of ascended sorcerers just waiting for the next loopholing dumbshit to come along and take their place fighting the Eternal War :tinfoil:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doesn't this rely on never ending up on the business end of the mishap chart?

So unless you can somehow end-run around the die mechanics to never ever fail the relevant rolls, sooner or later you're gonna blow up your head trying or osmething.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

Doesn't this rely on never ending up on the business end of the mishap chart?

So unless you can somehow end-run around the die mechanics to never ever fail the relevant rolls, sooner or later you're gonna blow up your head trying or osmething.

Given that this entire thought exercise is based on hubris, that seems kind of fitting, doesn't it? Also, which psychic powers system does Black Crusade use? There have been a couple and that's the one game I don't have. If Fettered is a thing, then it can be done safely, if at half speed.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Psy Rating caps at 10.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Of course, now I'm wondering what happens if Tzeentch decides to just roll with it. Maybe he shows up, claps you on the shoulder and tells you you're now all-powerful and the new God of Change, have fun fighting the three other Chaos Gods, he's going to take a vacation.

Maybe "Tzeentch" is actually a succession of ascended sorcerers just waiting for the next loopholing dumbshit to come along and take their place fighting the Eternal War :tinfoil:

This is the best idea. Killing the sorcerer is too easy and straightforward for the Changer of Ways.

Waci posted:

Psy Rating caps at 10.
Mechanically, how does this situation look when you get to PR 10? What kind of armor are we talking about?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Waci posted:

Psy Rating caps at 10.
The talent that gives you a +1 on your psy rating does. Effective psy rating can be infinite. At PR 10, you could push for +5 as unbound sorcerer, +1 from Child of the Warp, +1d5 from Warp Conduit, Boon of Tzeentch that to, uh, no idea what the absolute max DoS there is but let's say 9x WP with the +6 WB from the slaanesh book, favourable conditions/path to power and a roll of 01 so 15 DoS give or take which puts us somewhere north of 30 effective psy rating and thus 30 armour from telekinetic shield, which is counted as cover and can be combined with your own toughness and actual armour so since we are minmaxing like a boolean already let's say we're a space marine with his own +4 TB and also got 9x toughness and the +6 TB from the same slaanesh book to go with our Best craftsmanship Legion Terminator armour with ablative and to top it all off we're hiding behind our Daemon Weapon tower shield while doing all this. This ends up being about 80 damage reduction in total. For reference, a baneblade has 45/38/30 on it's front/sides/rear.

Literally the only weapon in the entire line that has a chance of damaging you through that is a Tachyon Arrow(10d10) or a fellow sorcerer with Primordial Annihilation(PRd10)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Really though if one of my players was doing that I'd be scheduling him an appointment with a Culexus assassin and a fresh character sheet.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 21, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I forget how BC works, but aren't you still vulnerable to someone getting Righteous Fury criticals on you? Not sure those could take you apart but I think they'd disrupt your sustaining, etc.

Edit: And, as above, doing this and smirking about how indestructible you are is basically inviting the GM to stomp your face. Even if they don't, you have essentially ruined the game for all your friends, so good job being a tremendous cock who doesn't get invited to the next campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
It's still less indestructible than an Ascension Vidicare who bought everything Dodge and Agility related. The only thing that might kill one is the bloodthirster from the tome of blood, depending on who's "you can dodge the undodgeabe" and "your attacks can not be dodged" takes precedence.