Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Super.Jesus posted:

Having to make an elaborate clockwork keyboard and a projector periscope rig seems like a small price to pay for The Internet.

They rigged up something similar in Blade of Tyshalle for Tan'elKoth, but Harry would probably hate using a computer. Remember he's never used anything with a GUI, ever. Take that frustration you feel when some new program isn't working how you think it should and multiply that by a thousand for him. Even if he got something that worked he'd probably slag it by the end of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Release date stuff came up in the Locke Lamora thread; it has something to do with retailers needing a date in order to process stuff on their systems, so someone somewhere along the line just uses a placeholder and when it gets out people get excited ed then upset when it changes.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

They rigged up something similar in Blade of Tyshalle for Tan'elKoth, but Harry would probably hate using a computer. Remember he's never used anything with a GUI, ever. Take that frustration you feel when some new program isn't working how you think it should and multiply that by a thousand for him. Even if he got something that worked he'd probably slag it by the end of the week.

Plus it has been shown that getting more frustrated/angry increases the hex. Imagine Harry actually on the internet, it would be destroyed the SECOND he looks at the comments on a YouTube vid.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Not sure you guys are giving him enough credit. A lot of the stuff Harry does with magic requires intese focus and a pretty large knowledge base, dude isn't a dullard. I think he could handle a modern OS.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
And with an effort of will I focused on the keyboard to find the any key and let out a curse.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Butters, I just won a free Ipad!

edit: Working mom fights supernatural predators with this one weird tip, vampire courts HATE her!

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
Or he could bug Odin/Donar Vadderung for some of those slick butt screen things he has in his office.

Edit: apparently there is now a word replacement on SA making C+loud into butt.

Edit the second: And since Bob can apparently (Cold Days Spoilers) project movies now, he could sit Bob down once a week and have his own snarky DVR

DJ_Ferret fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 20, 2013

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

Skippy McPants posted:

Not sure you guys are giving him enough credit. A lot of the stuff Harry does with magic requires intese focus and a pretty large knowledge base, dude isn't a dullard. I think he could handle a modern OS.

Given how anal retentive Harry got about the precise mechanics of fireballs when he played that RPG with the Alphas, I think his PC would meltdown (despite any precautions) the first time Harry got into an argument on the internet.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

DJ_Ferret posted:

Edit: apparently there is now a word replacement on SA making C+loud into butt.
That or you've accidentally installed one of the more aggressive cloud-to-butt browser plug-ins (They've been a thing for a while, confusing people in several SH/SC threads, haha)

edit:
Cloud Cloud Cloud - works for me!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Harry is basically a classical nerd whose focus has been a completely different esoteric system than computers, role-playing games, or the minutiae of television shows. He could absolutely handle a computer if he were interested in learning how, and could get one that wouldn't melt down the first time he found out that My Little Pony fanfiction is a thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

But could he handle this?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Len posted:

Oh god :barf:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Len posted:

Boy am I glad I moused over that and saw what the url was rather than just blindly clicking.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Boy am I glad I moused over that and saw what the url was rather than just blindly clicking.

It's not that bad. I can guarantee you've read worse things on the internet. I'm just jealous those people have the conviction to write 200k+ words. I can't write three pages without getting bored.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Something tells me Butcher would be the type to approve of that, and I'm saddened by the thought.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Wade Wilson posted:

Something tells me Butcher would be the type to approve of that, and I'm saddened by the thought.

There would be a FATE module for it by the end of the year.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Those crossover fan fictions were the first I'd heard of the Dresden Files, and they did a pretty good job of showing me the kind of stuff that makes Dresden interesting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm not sure if Dresden/Ponies is better or worse then Dresden/Evangelion which apparently also exists.

Edit: Dresden/50 Shades.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Len posted:

Dresden/50 Shades.

Yes, we've all read Death Masks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If there's one thing I've learned about Dresden Files fanfiction, it's that there's an incredible amount of Dresden/Marcone slash. I mean, we're talking Kirk/Spock levels here (OK, that may be an exaggeration, but holy poo poo there's a lot).

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

ookiimarukochan posted:

That or you've accidentally installed one of the more aggressive cloud-to-butt browser plug-ins (They've been a thing for a while, confusing people in several SH/SC threads, haha)

edit:
Cloud Cloud Cloud - works for me!

Someone (likely drunk me) installed the cloud to butt extension. It was hitting literally EVERYTHING. Good call.

At least drunk me just pranks sober me instead of spending my money.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DJ_Ferret posted:

Someone (likely drunk me) installed the cloud to butt extension. It was hitting literally EVERYTHING. Good call.

At least drunk me just pranks sober me instead of spending my money.

Wait, this is an actual thing? Why is this a thing?

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Darth Walrus posted:

Wait, this is an actual thing? Why is this a thing?

Most likely because it makes reading the endless stream of "cloud computing" articles in the software development world a bit more tolerable.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
To be fair to the fanfictioners "dresden fillies" is a pretty good name.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also to be fair, Dresden Files is by it's very nature pulpy and indulgent beyond reason.

It's kinda hard to hate on anyone for taking it and running with it in whatever wacky direction they want. Shine on you crazy diamonds.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 21, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I have to admit that I kinda like Butcher's all-inclusive nerdiness. Dude likes what he likes, doesn't care if you like it, and if he doesn't harsh on people who like stuff he doesn't.

Shine on you crazy diamonds is right.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It also helps that he basically encouraged crossovers when he had Bob say (Ghost Story)"You think your universe is the only universe? Harry, come on. Creation, totally freaking huge. Room enough for you and Spider-man both".

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Len posted:

Dresden/Evangelion

How the hell does this one work?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ramadu posted:

Well you see Harry was in a coma for a while, and Shinji has this thing about half naked people in comas...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ramadu posted:

As a guess... AT fields are actually mobile thresholds, evangelions are giant mecha made out of cloned angel parts because conventional technology is hexable, and the big egg proto-angel creatures are faerie-queen class entities which caused the same scale of devastation when imbalanced?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ramadu posted:

Gendo is the Merlin.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ramadu posted:

I don't know and I don't really want to know.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
You know what's next, don't you. Dresden and Warhammer 40k.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Scintilla posted:

The Outer Gates already are a Warhammer 40k setting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

keiran_helcyan posted:

The Outer Gates already are a Warhammer 40k setting.

None on fanfiction.net.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Scintilla posted:

Ciaphas Cain teams up with Harry.

I'd read it.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
what are the general rules when it comes to what to expect in the books:

I know :
Every 3rd book is a vampire book.
Every 5th book is a Denarian book.

Until Changes every 4th book was fairy involvement (Summer Knight, Proven Guilty, Changes to a degree)

I noticed when the rules interact they usually involve converging story lines, Changes being 12th book = is both in the line of vampire books every 3rd and fairy every 4th.

Are there more patterns than I'm missing?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Every book has Harry in it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Oroborus posted:

Are there more patterns than I'm missing?

Every occurence of the phrase "good people" is a book that has Murphy in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Every book has a copy pasted slightly edited description of each main character.
Every book has the phrase "hells bells"
Every book with a Carpenter character has Harry trying not to swear.
Until the 4th? book forzay was never mentioned or used.

• Locked thread