Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Quandary posted:

I legitimately enjoyed that video, seeing as its one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.

This is pretty much my exact thoughts on it. It's loving crazy in a beautiful way. I mean he made a video where it's him just loving Kim Kardashian on a motorcycle for gods sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People have some kind of mental block where they would just genuinely rather believe an artist is a complete blithering retard than believe anything even vaguely related to something having a meaning below surface level.

It's pretty loving stupid.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The show was loving amazing. Seriously worth every penny. The movements were all awesome and Kanye did his drat thing. Looked like he wanted Kim to come on stage for Bound 2. Tribe was sick. Q-tip is jacked. Kinda mad Busta's mic was out when he first hit the stage cause he was going in, and that is my only complaint.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Alpher N Omeger posted:

Well I mean, yeah. I could've taken these responses, put them at the beginning of my original post verbatim and still have come to the same conclusion. tbf I think my original post came off as snobby but my disagreement is that I think the video is so impeccably hokey that I can't imagine it being part a deliberately provocative campaign for a deliberately provocative album by sheer accident.

you saw his video for black skinhead too right? like, if he can release a PS1 rendering of himself dancing around and be like 'this. this is genius' then i dont doubt whatever else dumb he can do.

40 lbs to freedom fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 21, 2013

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Bown posted:

People have some kind of mental block where they would just genuinely rather believe an artist is a complete blithering retard than believe anything even vaguely related to something having a meaning below surface level.

Kanye screwed up a 300 reference.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scorched Spitz posted:

Kanye screwed up a 300 reference.

Yes that entirely disproves that guy's point... In case you can't get irony I'm gonna tell you no it doesn't. gently caress, now I've posted in this thread, oh yeezus what have I done? Noooooo. Do I have to be the one who posts this? Really?

Just so that this doesn't escalate in the same way, the guy has a point. You might have one as well, but c'mon 300's a stupid movie, who really remembers the details anyway??? Sort of like how Blood on the Leaves is a stupid song, right?

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Do you really think that spending a couple of hours writing the lyrics to most of an album right before its deadline is gonna result in a deeply thought-provoking and new experience? No, that's why for about half the album, he's talking about his dick. I like the album and there are some interesting juxtapositions, but let's be honest and realize that Kanye's the kind of person who thinks he's beyond reproach and has legions of fans who think the same. He'll put out a blank t-shirt and people will call it genius just because it sold out.

Let's take on "Blood on the Leaves". Yeah, it's interesting that Kanye used the imagery of a lynching as the backdrop to infidelity. Interesting, but nonsensical. What in the lyrics draws any parallels to the Jim Crow era? One reference to apartheid? Back then, black people used to be murdered for whistling at a white woman. Here, the narrator's bitching that he has to pay alimony and child support because he knocked up some chick that wasn't his wife.

Scorched Spitz fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 21, 2013

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

40 lbs to freedom posted:

you saw his video for black skinhead too right? like, if he can release a PS1 rendering of himself dancing around and be like 'this. this is genius' then i dont doubt whatever else dumb he can do.
PS1 graphics are for hacks.XboxOne: true genius console.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
You all are overthinking Kanye. Sometimes he makes incredible work and sometimes it's complete poo poo. Just enjoy the ride knowing it's going to be entertaining anyway.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Scorched Spitz posted:

Let's take on "Blood on the Leaves". Yeah, it's interesting that Kanye used the imagery of a lynching as the backdrop to infidelity. Interesting, but nonsensical. What in the lyrics draws any parallels to the Jim Crow era? One reference to apartheid? Back then, black people used to be murdered for whistling at a white woman. Here, the narrator's bitching that he has to pay alimony and child support because he knocked up some chick that wasn't his wife.

The song is about a professional basketball player getting trapped by success, his perceptions of women and the cultural stigma around black fatherhood, juxtaposed with imagery of Jim Crow era racism. More directly, he connects the imagery with the "strings" being pulled and tying down even successful African Americans. I don't see how that isn't interesting, and distilling the song to "complaining that he knocked up his girlfriend" is being extremely dismisive.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 21, 2013

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll agree with you all. I wasn't saying it was a genius line, referring to 300, or that Blood on the Leaves was a genius song, but Black Skinhead and Blood on the Leaves are equally interesting / entertaining songs with a bit of parallel in their apparent ignorance of history. That's about as far as I can take it which is why I didn't expand further. Overthinking it definitely doesn't increase my enjoymment of it, but I think it would be overanaylzing to assume that his half-assed lines mean anything is different about Kanye. I mean this is a thread for people who follow Kanye's music right? poo poo's been the same.

btw I liked the Bound 2 video, especially the reactions. Kanye might be saying something deep, but even if he isn't, I'd agree that it seems intentionally antagonistic, like Kanye usually is in his more popular songs. "I done played the underdog my whole career :smug:" also I took Bound 2 as a newly-hopeless perspective on a lovesong from the man who once brought you Gold Digger. #overthinkingkanye

He's found a way to be more antagonistic and underdogish than ever, while still being one of the most successful rappers right now. That's the "genius" or whathaveyou of Yeezus. It's not that hard to do, but to pull it off while seeming so genuine... it's a bit of a meta artistic feat I'd say, or it isn't and he's just being 100% genuine but it's just like this guy says, let's just enjoy what Yeezy has in store

reflex posted:

You all are overthinking Kanye. Sometimes he makes incredible work and sometimes it's complete poo poo. Just enjoy the ride knowing it's going to be entertaining anyway.

conventionalcat fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 21, 2013

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Brett824 posted:

The song is about a professional basketball player getting trapped by success, his perceptions of women and the cultural stigma around black fatherhood, juxtaposed with imagery of Jim Crow era racism. More directly, he connects the imagery with the "strings" being pulled and tying down even successful African Americans. I don't see how that isn't interesting, and distilling the song to "complaining that he knocked up his girlfriend" is being extremely dismisive.

It falls apart because facing the consequences for impregnating your mistress is not the great injustice Jim Crow laws were. It trivializes the atrocities that people who are still alive today have witnessed by conflating it with something so self-absorbed and unsympathetic. I'm not saying that having an unlikable protagonist is bad, but when the track so drawn out and has the most unpleasant beat on the whole disc, it all adds up to an annoying song.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Scorched Spitz posted:

It falls apart because facing the consequences for impregnating your mistress is not the great injustice Jim Crow laws were. It trivializes the atrocities that people who are still alive today have witnessed by conflating it with something so self-absorbed and unsympathetic. I'm not saying that having an unlikable protagonist is bad, but when the track so drawn out and has the most unpleasant beat on the whole disc, it all adds up to an annoying song.

How is it self-absorbed when the song isn't about him? The POINT is to draw comparisons and make people recollect on the Jim Crow south -- he's not saying "it's just as bad to have a baby momma as it is to get lynched", he's saying "think back to that time, and think about the modern manifestations of racism." I don't think it's trivializing the atrocities and if you come out of it with it not being a particularly great injustice, than that's a valid thing to come out of the song with. In my opinion, it's much more interesting than just writing a song directly about the challenges modern black americans face or a song about historical racism (which Kanye has done before, a fair amount). Maybe I am overthinking Kanye a bit, but my interpretation of Blood on the Leaves comes pretty heavily from what he's directly stated about the song in interviews.

I also love the beat though, so :shrug:

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 21, 2013

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Scorched Spitz posted:

whoa whoa whoa worst beat on the whole album? Are you nuts

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
beat is dope.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Those horns are garbage.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Scorched Spitz posted:

It trivializes the atrocities that people who are still alive today have witnessed by conflating it with something so self-absorbed and unsympathetic.
I disagree that sampling Strange Fruit trivializes the Civil Rights movement and living people.

This is why I purposely avoided this thread when I'm a big Kanye fan. People start psychoanalyzing celebrities and reading way too much into their art.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Scorched Spitz posted:

Those horns are garbage.

Do you have some sort of lovely quality rip or something?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Blood on the Leaves is the best song on Yeezus and has the best beat on Yeezus I can't even believe what I just read on these forums.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

It's just one guy...

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Wachepti posted:

Do you have some sort of lovely quality rip or something?
Those horns sound exactly the same as the song they're sampled from and they were garbage then, so don't blame that on a rip.

Scorched Spitz fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 21, 2013

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

inSTAALed posted:

Blood on the Leaves is the best song on Yeezus and has the best beat on Yeezus I can't even believe what I just read on these forums.

Sorry it's Bound 2.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

inSTAALed posted:

There are dog barks in the Im in It beat

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well I think I've listened to Blood on the Leaves enough times today. Sick song I just listened like 10 times in a row. Each time I think I reached a different enlightenment level on what it all meant. Like a great modern history lesson. Thank you Yeezus.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

atrus50 posted:

There are dog barks in the Im in It beat

This is a very true statement you've made which is why the song is officially second best

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
There are also dogs in the Black Skinhead SNL performance

are dogs a theme of the album??

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just moved on to I'm In It and I didn't catch the dogs barking before, nice. Is Kanye perhaps considering a new puppy for his daughter to play with?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Scorched Spitz posted:

Those horns sound exactly the same as the song they're sampled from and they were garbage then, so don't blame that on a rip.

I'm just trying to come up with a reasonable explanation for how aggressively wrong you are.:shrug:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Man I will never forget me and my friend cruising down downtown long beach and hearing that beat for blood on the leaves come on for the first time and just losing our poo poo and turning it up as loud as it could go.

That song is an instant classic.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

The_Rob posted:

Man I will never forget me and my friend cruising down downtown long beach and hearing that beat for blood on the leaves come on for the first time and just losing our poo poo and turning it up as loud as it could go.

That song is an instant classic.

At his show everyone goes nuts when those horns hit.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

bows1 posted:

At his show everyone goes nuts when those horns hit.

I think it was in the pitchfork article about working on yeezus where Justin Vernon said the first time they heard the beat they were just doing backflips in the studio, because they knew they had something special with that.

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW

Bown posted:

Yeah this but it happens to Kanye all the time. I think this is mostly his beef with the media and awards shows and poo poo, he's made as big of a mark on modern music as anybody and people still think it's an accident or he's an idiot who doesn't understand what he's doing. I'm not saying it's a great video but it's so funny to see people get legitimately upset about how bad it is, which honestly was probably the point. Like this guy has done multiple interviews within the last month (as well as like, his entire career) where he talks about his important imagery is and people still think he's serious about this poo poo. Y'all got trolled by Yeezy

Kid Gloves fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 21, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
This CD case isn't anything but a couple of stickers. Is he just so dumb he forgot to make a booklet? What's with this idiot!?!?

It's almost as if he doesn't give a gently caress, I wish he'd told me before I gave it up. My minutes of youtube time that is.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Welp I'm going to see the show in a few hours. The reports in this thread have me pretty loving psyched!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It's possible for an artist to make great art and make lovely stupid nonsense at a later time

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tremendous Taste posted:

It's possible for an artist to make great art and make lovely stupid nonsense at a later time

Yes, but it becomes a big deal for lovely people as he gets more critical and popular acclaim and media attention.

Like, people were legitimately angry in the gbs Reddit thread that anybody would be stupid enough to suggest that Kanye was a more influential artist than Hendrix* (a ridiculous, meaningless argument in the first place but still).

He is, without question, one of the defining artists of the last decade- whose creative influence has already marked the musical landscape and will do so for subsequent generations. People have to hang on every single thing he does or says in order to back up his "important artist" status or (more often) discredit him. Like, the number of people I know who refuse to give him his due because he's "just an ignorant rapper" or "he's an idiot" or "rap is misogynist/materialistic" or any variation thereof is surprisingly high.

TLDR: Kanye matters and a lot of (mostly white) people loving hate that. They try to blanket a decade's worth of creative output with every little thing he says and does as a way to validate their stupid opinion.

*It's also worth noting that the comparison was between Yeezy and Hendrix, two artists who don't really have anything in common aside from their skin color. That's called "validating your rockism while avoiding any pesky racism accusations that you probably deserve."

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 22, 2013

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I'm one of kanye's biggest fans.

However I think we need to be able to be intellectually honest with ourselves.

Kanye kicked up a huge fuss about how revolutionary his black skinhead video is, but Bob Dylan and Pharells vids are executed way better.

If, as an artist, people can't tell whether you've completely lost your mind or you're trolling the world, you've lost your ability to connect.

Right now Kanye has lost his ability to connect with his audience in a meaningful way.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My favorite part about the bound 2 video is that he chose to debut it on the Ellen show. It's a video where he fucks Kim kardasian on a dirt bike. He is forcefully taking claim of white culture and it's probably the funniest thing he has ever done.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Kanye ruled in DC, but yeah, Kendrick's band was a little too quiet and Kendrick was a little too loud. Also whoever said his songs don't support the stadium setting, I agree. I'd also say his songs don't mesh well with the live band style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Is Kendrick going to go the entire tour without taking corrective measures?

• Locked thread