Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
So I got the humble bundle a little while back for X3 AP, and it came with a separate code for X: Beyond the Frontier, X-Tension, X2: The Threat, and X3: Reunion
I've got most of those on CD somewhere anyway, so there's not alot of point me cashing this code in on steam.

If there's a goon who's pissed off at Rebirth and wants to play the older ones, here:

GBK77-VN7IQ-HA4MG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Demiurge4 posted:

10x might be a bit much, making 500k off a combat mission is too much. You have to consider trade rewards too. If super freighters can be made to send their cargo trucks from much further out, their loading speed will be increased substantially because they won't spend all their time bumping the drat stations and trading will be more lucrative.

I think 50-90k rewards for missions would be fine, cargo scanning could be removed altogether and the game wouldn't lose anything. I really hate the vendor trash in general, get rid of all of it.

Yeah 10x was a bit much. I scaled it down and widened the range, so what used to be a 14-17k mission is now a 30-45k. Once I find the code for space junk creation I'll see what I can do with it. I don't care for vendor trash either, but all the little ships still drop it and all I want to do for my game right now is disincentivize long range scanning for millions worth of crap.

One idea I have is to figure out how to make long range scanning pick up distant stations (250-500km away) and capital ships instead of space junk so navigation without map markings or space highways works better.

Then I'll see about filling the void in each sector with random faction zones, hostile or otherwise :getin:

concise fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 20, 2013

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Maybe have a look at boarding too. The Balon from Cartel Boss Vulnerable sells for 6 mil and with 200k in rookie marines you almost always successfully board one with no losses. A 4 mil investment in marines will always board successfully with maybe a single casualty, even if the target is the 50mil Galactica Arawn.

EDIT: VVVV Early game economy is what the ease of boarding is messing with. Spend the starting money on a cheap officer and marines and that is an easy balon 5mil right there and those 5mil get you any boardable ship in the game and something like 20mil an hour if you board the hostile capitals spawned by some of the combat missions.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 21, 2013

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Domattee posted:

Maybe have a look at boarding too. The Balon from Cartel Boss Vulnerable sells for 6 mil and with 200k in rookie marines you almost always successfully board one with no losses. A 4 mil investment in marines will always board successfully with maybe a single casualty, even if the target is the 50mil Galactica Arawn.

One step at a time, someone else might fix boarding the way you want before I get around to it. Once my initial changes to the early game economy are done I'm going to focus on figuring out how to fill sectors with random zones.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Demiurge4 posted:

10x might be a bit much, making 500k off a combat mission is too much. You have to consider trade rewards too. If super freighters can be made to send their cargo trucks from much further out, their loading speed will be increased substantially because they won't spend all their time bumping the drat stations and trading will be more lucrative.

I think 50-90k rewards for missions would be fine, cargo scanning could be removed altogether and the game wouldn't lose anything. I really hate the vendor trash in general, get rid of all of it.

I actually kind of like using the long range scanner to find goodies in space. My problem with it is the way it just seems to constantly spawn new crates and provides and endless source of easy credits. I found the actual mechanics of pinging the scanner and finding stuff to be fun though. I think preferably the goodies would be hand placed around the zones, or placed randomly upon starting new game, and perhaps fewer in number but more valuable. I guess that would be a lot more work to implement though.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 21, 2013

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Elenkis posted:

I actually kind of like using the long range scanner to find goodies in space. My problem with it is the way it just seems to constantly spawn new crates and provides and endless source of easy credits. I found the actual mechanics of pinging the scanner and finding stuff to be fun though. I think preferably the goodies would be hand placed around the zones (or placed randomly upon starting new game) and perhaps fewer in number but more valuable, I guess that would be a lot more work to implement though.

I think it'd be a lot more fun (and easier to balance) if you got coordinates to a high-value stash that's way off the highways out of the box. They can then put guards on the high-value stash, scale it to player power (set when he gets the coordinates). It still lets you get money by exploring, but it stops it from being free money. At least the really big payouts would not be free money.

Pecked To Death
Jun 27, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I don't think anyone has to worry about the modding community sticking with X3 or anything like that.

From poking around the official Scripting/Modding forum, it seems that Rebirth might be quite a bit easier to mod then X3. For instance, Rebirth mods don't have to touch the core files, which should mean nightmare installation guides like the one for XRM won't ever be required. Those kinds of packs should be much easier to put together as well.

Also apparently some LUA scripting stuff will become available to modders soon too. With the variety of mods already out there, it'll be interesting to see what will be made over the next few months.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

DatonKallandor posted:

I think it'd be a lot more fun (and easier to balance) if you got coordinates to a high-value stash that's way off the highways out of the box. They can then put guards on the high-value stash, scale it to player power (set when he gets the coordinates). It still lets you get money by exploring, but it stops it from being free money. At least the really big payouts would not be free money.

Yeah, that would be cool too. Any additional incentives for exploration would be a good thing in my book.

quote:

Also apparently some LUA scripting stuff will become available to modders soon too. With the variety of mods already out there, it'll be interesting to see what will be made over the next few months.

Some of the modders have commented that the new scripting capabilities are far beyond anything in the previous games. They seem pretty excited by the new engine and the increased modding potential it provides, so I guess that's something.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Lua scripting, eh? I thought all the game scripts still used Egosoft's weird custom XML-based monstrosity. It'd be nice to have a real language to work with.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

Domattee posted:

Been a while but I don't think there was an OTAS plot in AP, only in TC.

You do need to have the main plot completed for most other plots, as well as reputation requirements with the faction that gives the plot.

Well, i'm not asking about Corporation plot, but Corporate Missions so I can gain corporate ranks and get rewarded ships. I just can't seem to find the corporate mission giver even when I'm at the HQ. So my problem is, how do I start corporate missions in X3AP?

edit: or are corporate missions not in AP?

Flat Banana fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 21, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I read a dev post some weeks ago that Lua was used for UI scripting but the silly XML thing was still used for normal game stuff.

I'm not sure why they think that is a good idea. Proprietary scripting languages are usually crappy and slow (see: Skyrim). They'll never come close to the amount of man-hours put into things like Lua.

I really hope mods can turn this game into something great, but I'm skeptical.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Late to the party as I didn't actually get to properly play it until just recently, but my full review is up now.

As both a casual fan of the series, and someone who was totally in favour of the changes they were making with Rebirth, I'm doubly disappointed. Egosoft, you should know better.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Dominic White posted:

Late to the party as I didn't actually get to properly play it until just recently, but my full review is up now.

As both a casual fan of the series, and someone who was totally in favour of the changes they were making with Rebirth, I'm doubly disappointed. Egosoft, you should know better.

Isn't it priced at $49.99? Site says $59.99.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Isn't it priced at $49.99? Site says $59.99.

Oops - I was assuming it was a rough conversion from the UK price of £40 (actually $64 right now).

Goddamn, it's a ripoff for EU/UK! Well, there's one more thing against it, too.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 21, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Something that may be of interest: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=351890

It sounds as though trade empires and stations work well, if the game doesn't bug to poo poo in the process, +1 salvagability I guess?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Flat Banana posted:

edit: or are corporate missions not in AP?

Nope.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Something that may be of interest: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=351890

It sounds as though trade empires and stations work well, if the game doesn't bug to poo poo in the process, +1 salvagability I guess?

Yeah it sounds like if even just a small amount of hard work was put in. we would not be here calling it as rubbish as it is, but rather just closer to a normal egosoft launch day. Hearing how much easier to mod and more mod tools on the way, also gives it a small amount of hope

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

Just a slight derail for me a personal rule of thumb is that if a game or show or movie starts generating content on Deviantart then its going to do well, however this can be a faustian bargain as you end up with stuff like this...

http://valhalla-studios.deviantart.com/art/Split-have-wares-414456257

SPLIT IS NOT HAPPY! :black101:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stevefin posted:

Yeah it sounds like if even just a small amount of hard work was put in. we would not be here calling it as rubbish as it is, but rather just closer to a normal egosoft launch day. Hearing how much easier to mod and more mod tools on the way, also gives it a small amount of hope

I would honestly think rushed release (for some unfathomable reason) or genuine unawareness of the issues, rather than monumentally stupid decision making. Uninformed perhaps but not stupid, given their track record I think egosoft will probably fix a lot of the issues themselves. It's unfortunate that the release was so poor though, it spoiled a great opportunity for them. Hopefully given a lot of people have the game, they'll come back to it when it's fixed and might retain an interest in the genre.

I'd love to read the postmortem on the release though, because I seriously cannot guess what lead them to do it this way.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Ockham's razor suggests they needed the money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unimpressed posted:

Ockham's razor suggests they needed the money.

I guess? But it would have to hurt to throw away all that potential income from the release of a well advertised and received game.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

A bird in the hand, etc.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Oops - I was assuming it was a rough conversion from the UK price of £40 (actually $64 right now).

Goddamn, it's a ripoff for EU/UK! Well, there's one more thing against it, too.

Well to be fair to them VAT in the UK is 20%, and 20% of $50 is $10, so they are making the same off it. This is why stuff in the UK is generally more expensive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crack posted:

Well to be fair to them VAT in the UK is 20%, and 20% of $50 is $10, so they are making the same off it. This is why stuff in the UK is generally more expensive.

Americans are weird with their 'add your own sales tax on' thing.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dominic White posted:

Just a note - if you missed exit off highway you don't have to take entire thing a full circle as you say there, despite what guidance tells you. It's in many cases faster to just boost between zones than follow guidance, highways aren't stargates and you can traverse between zones without using them. Booster covers 40-60 km in seconds on one shield charge and most zones are within 100km of their neighbors.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 21, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

So, am I crazy or does Rebirth have zero support for flight sticks? At this point I'd be happy with it as a "gently caress around in space" game until modders can work their magic, but considering there aren't enough axes on a 360 controller for all the flight controls, I can't even do that.

I've googled around a bit but haven't had any luck finding absolute confirmation one way or the other, just a lot of posts with people complaining.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Crack posted:

Also, Valve deducts this tax before they take their cut.

So, if the product is $60 meaning the Vat is $10 that leaves $50 to be split between Valve and the Partner company. This split usually around 1/3 to valve, the rest to the developer / publisher, I cannot give specific numbers due to my NDA as a Valve Partner.

In the end everyone needs to get paid and the reason for the price discrepancy between the US and Europe is due to Vat. Demanding that a company lowers the price to be equivalent means that they actually make less money on the same product. I would love to make the USD:GBP/EU exchange equivalent on Kinetic Void, however that would mean I would be paying the customers Vat out of my income. Sorry for the derail, just wanted to add my perspective from this side of the fence.

My current play-through of X3:AP + XRM and Mods is going awesome, a bunch of pirate sectors were just taken over by various factions, and now the Pirates are hitting back in force and are jacking stations left and right. I have to avoid the entire south east section of the map.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Started an X3 game yesterday. I forgot how slow of a start X3 gets. I spent the majority of my first day playing a fresh start making manual trades so I could buy my tricked out Buster. Now I'm saving up the half a million I need to buy trade command Mk III and make my hauler automated so I can gently caress off in my Buster and shoot things while still making money. Thankfully once you reach that point it's all up hill from there.

^^ I have IR going too, but most of the conflict options are disabled until I can be somewhat involved in them. It sounds really cool though.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

kedo posted:

So, am I crazy or does Rebirth have zero support for flight sticks? At this point I'd be happy with it as a "gently caress around in space" game until modders can work their magic, but considering there aren't enough axes on a 360 controller for all the flight controls, I can't even do that.

I've googled around a bit but haven't had any luck finding absolute confirmation one way or the other, just a lot of posts with people complaining.

I use an X52 and it works, but the game has a fairly large deadzone on each axis. I had to go into the settings XML and delete all the joystick axis and button entries so that I could start fresh in the configuration menu.

Using notepad++, search for the following regular expression and replace with a blank line:
code:
(^<)*.*(INPUT_SOURCE_JOY)+.*

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

If I finish the Albion campaign in Albion Prelude, will I still be able to repair my relation with the Terrans and go to Terran space? I really like the look of some of their stations and ships.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Does anyone know why rebirth has all the women look like Sinead O'Connor?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

BERGfu posted:

Hair is hard.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Eruonen posted:

If I finish the Albion campaign in Albion Prelude, will I still be able to repair my relation with the Terrans and go to Terran space? I really like the look of some of their stations and ships.

Yes, but you need a script to disable the war zone or terrans/argons will attack your ships in those sectors even if you have good relations.

BERGfu posted:

The speculation on the Modding forum is that that is the default female skin and there is a bug that prevents most other skins from loading, or that Egosoft forgot to include the others and didn't adjust the spawnrate of the other skin currently in the game.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
RPS has a WIT about X:R today.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/21/wot-i-think-x-rebirth/

Pretty spot on in my opinion. I'm totally bummed about this game and really shouldn't have pre-ordered it. I said never again after SOTS 2, but got suckered in by my lust for a cool space sim. Appropriately enough this greeted me while steam scrolled through current games for sale today:

SIGH!

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

It's perfect: " It’s an appalling, broken mess, and I’m not going back. "

The double-whammy of this and Rome II has me forever more swearing off pre-ordering.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
X:R: I'm feeling dumb and I can't figure out how to give my newly-captured Taranis the order to jump to somewhere, ot go fuel up, or whatever. The engines are busted but I hoped it could at least jump out to DeVries at least. The captain says there's not enough fuel but I can't tell how much it has, and what it even uses as fuel, or anything.

Do I need to pick up more crew for it? Pilot/Engineer/Defense Officer? Or do I just sell the thing?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Welcome to X:Rebirth.

There's a mod that lets you give some direct orders to ships.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

Man, I wish you could get X3 to just have stations automatically manage trade ships. So far that seems like the one thing better in Rebirth.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

X:R: I'm feeling dumb and I can't figure out how to give my newly-captured Taranis the order to jump to somewhere, ot go fuel up, or whatever. The engines are busted but I hoped it could at least jump out to DeVries at least. The captain says there's not enough fuel but I can't tell how much it has, and what it even uses as fuel, or anything.

Do I need to pick up more crew for it? Pilot/Engineer/Defense Officer? Or do I just sell the thing?

If he tells you he doesn't have enough fuel you can click on his picture on the screen and tell him to jump without fuel or go buy some fuel. But that ship is scripted to never have its engines repaired so just sell it. Telling them to buy fuel is dodgy in the campaign too as they don't differentiate between friendly and hostile stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Station freighters were automatic in X1 too right?

• Locked thread