Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

I mean that it's not IPS. I tried using a normal LCD laptop again and the viewing angles were horrendous.

Well, I haven't seen the screen, so we'll have to wait for some reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

Doesn't the Moto G have a crappy screen?

For a 200 dollar phone, no, it's more than acceptable. Compared to a HTC One or even a N5 sure, it's not nearly as good.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I wouldn't call 720p crappy, just budget friendly.

Which is a good attribute when your monthly phone budget includes devices too.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

quoting a buncha posts out of order here

Ashex posted:

Consider this when looking at Touchdown, all the company data is contained within a single app that respects the device policy. It can still perform a device wipe and support the full policy (to my knowledge). I've been using Touchdown for a few years now and love it.

Also, while Touchdown HD seems to imply it's for tablets, it seems to work just great on a phone and doesn't look like rear end like straight-up Touchdown.

ilkhan posted:

And as an aside, what does "driving mode" actually do?

I didn't know it changed Google Now's search algorithm to prioritize your contacts, but the main feature is that it if a call or text message in, it announces who's on the other end. You can use voice commands to answer or have it read the message. Also you can have it auto-reply to text messages with a custom response like "hay I'm driving so STFU."

Kreeblah posted:

gently caress it. This probably isn't going to be anywhere near worth what they're charging, but I haven't gotten a drastically new toy in a while.

With the new native SDK and some extra apps they announced the day before yesterday, it actually does quite a bit more now. I still need to try Word Lens out on mine; it looks pretty cool.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mu Zeta posted:

I mean that it's not IPS.
Are you sure? It seems strange to me that they'd give it a high-density screen if they're not even going to make it IPS.

CNET UK posted:

Resolution aside, the screen is very impressive. It's bright, and its colours are enjoyably rich and bold, without looking oversaturated. It's more than good enough to handle high-definition games and movies on Netflix. It displayed my favourite test video, Art of Flight, with vivid blue skies, and crisp, clear flurries of snow. It has good viewing angles too, meaning you don't need to stay completely square on to the screen to get the best view.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just looked it up and it does have an IPS screen. I don't know why I thought otherwise.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

...Motorola awesomeness...

I'm going to be looking for a phone to replace the Nexus 4 next year and you just convinced me to posssibly go for a Motorola phone instead of another Nexus.

If their 2013 phones are this decent, then the 2014 phones might be pretty drat good

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kitten smoothie posted:

I didn't know it changed Google Now's search algorithm to prioritize your contacts,

It's not that is changes Now's algorithm, it's a completely different thing altogether. It's like an extra layer before Now's search. Different screens and everything.

Most of the time, it's good. I've never had much success with Now calling any of my contacts. There's just a few edge cases were it causes problems.

Driving mode is awesome though and it's nice that there's nothing at all to setup. The phone just KNOWS when you are driving and turns on and off without intervention.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm going to be looking for a phone to replace the Nexus 4 next year and you just convinced me to posssibly go for a Motorola phone instead of another Nexus.

If their 2013 phones are this decent, then the 2014 phones might be pretty drat good

I don't know, the Droid was a really good phone for its time. Then they came out with a half-baked Droid 2 and then managed to delay themselves into oblivion with the Bionic era. I'm still rooting for them, though, there's a few family friends who (managed to still be) work for Motorola Mobility.

I like the X, I'm just more committed to the Nexus line ATM.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah, I got mine yesterday, but I also just sold my MotoX.

You will break down and re-buy another X. Count on it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I ordered the nexus 5 from the google play store last night. Says it will ship in 2-3 weeks. Can't wait to ditch sprint! Any suggestion on a cheap pay as you go plan. Looking for 2gb high speed data and low mins and texts. Thinking of straight talk, any better plans?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

api call girl posted:

I don't know, the Droid was a really good phone for its time. Then they came out with a half-baked Droid 2 and then managed to delay themselves into oblivion with the Bionic era. I'm still rooting for them, though, there's a few family friends who (managed to still be) work for Motorola Mobility.

I like the X, I'm just more committed to the Nexus line ATM.

Most of Motorola's 2011 fuckups can be pointed squarely at Nvidia.

Original Bionic was supposed to be using a Tegra 2 but Tegra 2 didn't work with LTE, ended up pushing the phone back to the point where they scrapped everything and started over with OMAP4 and their own LTE radio. That also made the Xoom launch without LTE support leading to the famous mail-in upgrade program.

That lead to the Bionic being released only two months before the Razr which made it look poor and un-needed by comparison (personally, I feel the Bionic is a more robust phone than the Razr.)

The X2 was released with Tegra 2 during the summer and that meant no LTE and abandonment at Gingerbread when Nvidia stopped supporting Tegra 2 properly.

This also lead to the Atrix 4G and Photon 4G being stuck at Gingerbread despite promises for ICS.

Is there any wonder as to why the OEMs seemed to have largely abandoned Nvidia for SoC support for their phone lines? If most recent rumors of the new Nexus 10 are true, then that's another nail in the coffin for Nvidia as Tegra 4 won't be getting an AOSP target as previously expected.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I've been a Motorola fanboy since the OG Droid days, but the X2 almost caused me to drop them forever. What a lovely phone that was. Constant random reboots that persisted through mutliple warranty exchanges, plus the Tegra 2 apparently had a problem with audio playback because one of the biggest bugs on the phone (besides the random reboots that happened at least once a day) was that music constantly skipped and popped if you were lucky enough to have an up-time longer than 24 hours.

I eventually called Verizon, and explained that after my 3rd Droid X2 I really just wanted another comparable phone. They gave me a Droid 3, which was rock solid and pretty drat good. No complaints about that phone.

So yeah, gently caress the X2 and Tegra 2 forever. Yeah, gee, wonder why no phones of note came out using the Tegra 3 or 4...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hotsauce posted:

You will break down and re-buy another X. Count on it.

Let clarify, I did not buy the X, AT&T allowed me an early upgrade (two months after my regular upgrade) and gave me the X for free. I would have taken the Galaxy Note 3, but it wasn't free, and I really wanted to try the X.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

r0ck0 posted:

I ordered the nexus 5 from the google play store last night. Says it will ship in 2-3 weeks. Can't wait to ditch sprint! Any suggestion on a cheap pay as you go plan. Looking for 2gb high speed data and low mins and texts. Thinking of straight talk, any better plans?

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

$30 plan. See the note about wal-mart.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have that $30 plan and it's pretty great. Though I've gone past 100 minutes a few times I'm happy with it overall. You don't need to get it from Wal-mart either, I just did everything online. But you won't be able to keep your old phone number when signing up.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I have that $30 plan and it's pretty great. Though I've gone past 100 minutes a few times I'm happy with it overall. You don't need to get it from Wal-mart either, I just did everything online. But you won't be able to keep your old phone number when signing up.

This is only true if you are a current T-Mobile subscriber because the $30 5GB plan is for new T-Mobile subscribers. If you are coming from Sprint you will activate your SIM online and then call T-Mobile and request your number to be ported over. That will close your Sprint account. Do not close your Sprint account yourself or you won't get your number ported.

I did this plan last summer and couldn't be happier. Especially coming from Sprint the network speed is awesome.

EDIT: If you wait T-Mobile regularly has $1 or free SIMs. I'd probably wait at least through Black Friday before ordering

EDIT2: To activate you just purchase a microsim from T-Mobile and activate the sim online. Just make sure you pick the $30 5GB plan and not the $30 1500 minute plan. Stick it in your phone. Done. GSM is freedom!

gariig fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 21, 2013

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Civil posted:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

$30 plan. See the note about wal-mart.

Mu Zeta posted:

Woah, that is awesome. So how do I sign up for that if I didnt purchase my phone from walmart or tmo?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

gariig posted:

This is only true if you are a current T-Mobile subscriber because the $30 5GB plan is for new T-Mobile subscribers. If you are coming from Sprint you will activate your SIM online and then call T-Mobile and request your number to be ported over. That will close your Sprint account. Do not close your Sprint account yourself or you won't get your number ported.

I did this plan last summer and couldn't be happier. Especially coming from Sprint the network speed is awesome.

EDIT: If you wait T-Mobile regularly has $1 or free SIMs. I'd probably wait at least through Black Friday before ordering

EDIT2: To activate you just purchase a microsim from T-Mobile and activate the sim online. Just make sure you pick the $30 5GB plan and not the $30 1500 minute plan. Stick it in your phone. Done. GSM is freedom!

Thank you!!! That is an amazing price.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

If you go over the 100 minutes, it's $0.10 per minute after that. You have to put money in your account first to be able to use this. But it's been useful to me the 2 times in the last year I've gone over 100.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You can also just auto-pay an overage in multiples of $10 and that'll go into your "extra minutes" bucket.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FogHelmut posted:

If you go over the 100 minutes, it's $0.10 per minute after that. You have to put money in your account first to be able to use this. But it's been useful to me the 2 times in the last year I've gone over 100.

Yeah I just leave an extra 20 or so in the account and it uses that. I just wish the LTE speed was a little faster. It's fine for browsing and stuff but Netflix still hiccups once in a while.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So i heard people like the Moto G? I just bought one this afternoon. Its my first Android phone so lets see how it will hold up against my regular Iphone 5!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

So i heard people like the Moto G? I just bought one this afternoon. Its my first Android phone so lets see how it will hold up against my regular Iphone 5!
The Moto G absolutely demolishes everything else in its price range, which is to say it's better than cheap Chinese garbage. It won't hold up against any flagship devices released in the last year but it's great for the price.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The Moto G absolutely demolishes everything else in its price range, which is to say it's better than cheap Chinese garbage. It won't hold up against any flagship devices released in the last year but it's great for the price.

Yeah i only wanted one to play around with. I'm thinking about switching to android next year and i wanted a cheap but decent phone to try it out first. The Moto G had pretty perfect timing. So far im pretty happy with it. I just need to find a decent Podcast app since Downcast is only on iOS.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

Yeah i only wanted one to play around with. I'm thinking about switching to android next year and i wanted a cheap but decent phone to try it out first. The Moto G had pretty perfect timing. So far im pretty happy with it. I just need to find a decent Podcast app since Downcast is only on iOS.
Pocket Casts.

Here's the app thread.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've been a Motorola fanboy since the OG Droid days, but the X2 almost caused me to drop them forever. What a lovely phone that was. Constant random reboots that persisted through mutliple warranty exchanges, plus the Tegra 2 apparently had a problem with audio playback because one of the biggest bugs on the phone (besides the random reboots that happened at least once a day) was that music constantly skipped and popped if you were lucky enough to have an up-time longer than 24 hours.

I have a LG chocolate that could play music flawlessly and fitted my needs.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Peven Stan posted:

I have a LG chocolate that could play music flawlessly and fitted my needs.

Yeah, words could not describe how much I hated that phone. Every update made things worse. The update to 2.3 brought along the random reboots, and the update to fix that brought along a battery indicator that became wildly inaccurate whenever it randomly rebooted, so now you would never know if you REALLY had 80% battery left or if you were lower.

It was amazing going from the x2 to the Droid 3 and having everything"just work".

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

deong posted:

I was using touchdown for a few years as well. I do feel the default app is much nicer. I may go back for the lock screen though. Lock my email, not the phone.

I'd recommend checking it out again, grab Touchdown HD. They completely overhauled the interface, only sucky thing is you can't transfer your setting from regular Touchdown.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
The Galaxy has spoiled me on Super AMOLED. The screen on my Nexus 5 is starting to bother me.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

b0nes posted:

The Galaxy has spoiled me on Super AMOLED. The screen on my Nexus 5 is starting to bother me.

My N5 had some of the worst light bleed I've ever seen on a screen. I only noticed when watching widescreen (2.35) stuff in the dark, but it would drive someone crazy who cared about that sort of thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Civil posted:

My N5 had some of the worst light bleed I've ever seen on a screen. I only noticed when watching widescreen (2.35) stuff in the dark, but it would drive someone crazy who cared about that sort of thing.

Is there an app that reduces the auto-brightness and makes it in general darker?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is there an app that reduces the auto-brightness and makes it in general darker?

I thought that would need some kind of root setting, but I guess not.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux&hl=en

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Civil posted:

I thought that would need some kind of root setting, but I guess not.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux&hl=en

quote:

Note: The Nexus 5 plugin will be coming as soon as possible. Your patience is appreciated!
I agree that the 5 is too bright.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Motorola's no longer voiding warranties for unlocking bootloaders (and retroactively reinstating them) for developer editions of the Moto X. In addition, they've posted factory images for each of the developer edition models.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2013/11/you-asked-we-listened-announcing.html

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ashex posted:

I'd recommend checking it out again, grab Touchdown HD. They completely overhauled the interface, only sucky thing is you can't transfer your setting from regular Touchdown.

Can Touchdown show stuff from my Exchange calendar in the regular Calendar app? If it can handle that, I may very well make the jump.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

No, Touchdown is its own little sandbox.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, words could not describe how much I hated that phone. Every update made things worse. The update to 2.3 brought along the random reboots, and the update to fix that brought along a battery indicator that became wildly inaccurate whenever it randomly rebooted, so now you would never know if you REALLY had 80% battery left or if you were lower.

It was amazing going from the x2 to the Droid 3 and having everything"just work".

It really makes me wonder if Google should adopt a Microsoft approach and set minimum standards for android licensees now that they have a commanding marketshare but wildly differing qualities between devices.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I agree that the 5 is too bright.

Lux works really well for the N5 after you've gone through a few levels of ambient light. Not sure what an N5 specific plugin will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Peven Stan posted:

It really makes me wonder if Google should adopt a Microsoft approach and set minimum standards for android licensees now that they have a commanding marketshare but wildly differing qualities between devices.

The issue there wasn't that the device was a cheap device with bad specs. The issue was that Nvidia seriously hosed up with Tegra 2. It was a poo poo SoC, full stop. It was over 9 months late to market and then poorly supported by them once it was released.

So, minimum standards wouldn't have really helped in that case. You have a top tier semiconductor designer wooing you with a top of the line SoC to design your phone. The problem is, you don't find out that the SoC is poo poo until you are too deep to just scrap the project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Tegra_2

Look at the list of devices that had Tegra 2 and find a handful that were worth a poo poo. Xoom and Transformer are about the only ones. I have a friend that loved his Atrix and just recently retired it, but I know that some people had a ton of problems with them.

Above all else, let us never forget that this SoC was the black heart in the middle of the infamous LG G2X.

• Locked thread