Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Maxwell Lord posted:

More MST3K has been added back, including Werewolf! Stoppen ze talkin' and starten ze chalkin'!

Amazon has a bunch too in addition to a few Cinematic Titanic episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bung Harmer posted:

Amazon has a bunch too in addition to a few Cinematic Titanic episodes.

Huh, it looks like Hulu+ has some CT as well. I've never seen it before.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's been mentioned before, but Heckler is a funny as poo poo. A bunch of double-chinned white insult comics crying about being made fun of by hecklers and critics alike interspersed with scenes of Jamie Kennedy being a dick to random hecklers is the comedy of the year.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's been mentioned before, but Heckler is a funny as poo poo. A bunch of double-chinned white insult comics crying about being made fun of by hecklers and critics alike interspersed with scenes of Jamie Kennedy being a dick to random hecklers is the comedy of the year.

I think I posted this last time we talked about heckler here, but gently caress it, it deserves multiple posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVrrr0d3gU

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I really liked Side Effects. Many reviewers seemed to not like how the movie morphs into a thriller, when really they are upset that they were being fooled along with Jude Law. The movie also clearly had inspiration from a radio segment I heard that describes the living hell it would be to be in a mental institution and not be crazy. I was also really pleased that things worked out for Jude Law.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I think I posted this last time we talked about heckler here, but gently caress it, it deserves multiple posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVrrr0d3gU

This clip completely sold me, and Deep Roy is loving awesome.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Ape of Naples posted:

Huh, it looks like Hulu+ has some CT as well. I've never seen it before.

Hulu Plus had all of the CT up last I looked (though I think they're missing the most recent video) and all of the Film Crew episodes. Plus they have some of the Rifftrax videos.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The best thing about that movie is how, when confronted, so many of the hecklers are completely calm and methodical in explaining that Kennedy is simply unfunny and should not be doing comedy as he sits there squirming. It's like the movie has the exact opposite effect of what they intended.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Transistor Rhythm posted:

The best thing about that movie is how, when confronted, so many of the hecklers are completely calm and methodical in explaining that Kennedy is simply unfunny and should not be doing comedy as he sits there squirming. It's like the movie has the exact opposite effect of what they intended.

I did hate that one douchbag though.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It was mentioned in this thread back in September but I've been recommending The Other F Word to pretty much everyone I know lately because I thought it was so good.

It's a documentary about Punk Rockers who have become fathers. Lots of great interviews with past and present punk rock stars and their kids, and great discussion about the things they go through. Like the issues of swearing or sex or drugs or other typical parent decisions, how does a man who has a song with no lyrics other than "gently caress you" tell his kids not to cuss? How does someone who has rebelled against authority for most of his young life deal with becoming an authority? How does someone who used to shoot heroin for breakfast deal with ordering his kid to eat their veggies? It also shows passively the irony of kids who rebel against punk rock parents, most of the children are pretty straight and "normal" looking, i.e. not rebellious at all.

But what I love the most about this film is that it shows these guys who are pretty hardcore - for the most part they live what they believe, and they are passionate about it, and loving their children is something they all dove into 100% with the same level of passion and commitment. Most if not all the dads in the movie talked about their kids with tremendous sincerity and depth, and it's great to see in a world of lovely dads that even really rebellious counterculture people can be good fathers who genuinely love their children.

If you're not a parent it's just a funny look at how everyone who becomes a parent grows up to a certain degree, and if you are there are a few moments that will have you in tears. I watched it with my 11 year old girl and her seeing other dads talk about being dads and doing the same things I do was pretty cool, she kind of saw life from my perspective for a bit.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 21, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I don't know if it was on Netflix or not, but there was some documentary about war crimes in Africa where actual perpetrators of these horrible things were interviewed and basically reminiscing about them... Ring any bells for anyone?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Me in Reverse posted:

I don't know if it was on Netflix or not, but there was some documentary about war crimes in Africa where actual perpetrators of these horrible things were interviewed and basically reminiscing about them... Ring any bells for anyone?

It's not on Netflix, but it might be the Act of Killing.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

LloydDobler posted:

It was mentioned in this thread back in September but I've been recommending The Other F Word to pretty much everyone I know lately because I thought it was so good.

It's a documentary about Punk Rockers who have become fathers. Lots of great interviews with past and present punk rock stars and their kids, and great discussion about the things they go through. Like the issues of swearing or sex or drugs or other typical parent decisions, how does a man who has a song with no lyrics other than "gently caress you" tell his kids not to cuss? How does someone who has rebelled against authority for most of his young life deal with becoming an authority? How does someone who used to shoot heroin for breakfast deal with ordering his kid to eat their veggies? It also shows passively the irony of kids who rebel against punk rock parents, most of the children are pretty straight and "normal" looking, i.e. not rebellious at all.

But what I love the most about this film is that it shows these guys who are pretty hardcore - for the most part they live what they believe, and they are passionate about it, and loving their children is something they all dove into 100% with the same level of passion and commitment. Most if not all the dads in the movie talked about their kids with tremendous sincerity and depth, and it's great to see in a world of lovely dads that even really rebellious counterculture people can be good fathers who genuinely love their children.

If you're not a parent it's just a funny look at how everyone who becomes a parent grows up to a certain degree, and if you are there are a few moments that will have you in tears. I watched it with my 11 year old girl and her seeing other dads talk about being dads and doing the same things I do was pretty cool, she kind of saw life from my perspective for a bit.

What annoyed me about this is that they mostly talked to the Pennywise guy, and he is the most boring one. I liked most of the other interviews though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Me in Reverse posted:

That sounds like the Vice Magazine documentary trip to Liberia where they interviewed former warlords like General Butt Naked and General Osama Bin Laden. I'm in public right now, so I won't go looking for the link for you. But it should be on the Vice website.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I watched Errors of The Human Body last night and really enjoyed it. It morphs from being a tense fish out of water thriller about a troubled guy who thinks he's discovered a conspiracy at his new job, to a body horror film and then finally a more intimate psychological horror film. Recommended if you feel like being mildly bummed for a couple hours afterwards

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

What annoyed me about this is that they mostly talked to the Pennywise guy, and he is the most boring one. I liked most of the other interviews though.

Jim Lindberg, they did this because he wrote a book on the subject called "Punk Rock Dad" as a fan of that music era I found both the book and documentary interesting even though I'm not a parent, it's interesting how these punk rock guys method's of "rebellion" mature along with them.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Raising Hope is surprisingly good. It's just self aware enough, and Garret Dillahunt and Cloris Leachman steal the show.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Amazon signed some sort of exclusive deal with A24, which basically means Spring Breakers is available for streaming only on Amazon (in the US at least).

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Me in Reverse posted:

This is probably it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuSS0iiFyo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bung Harmer posted:

Amazon signed some sort of exclusive deal with A24, which basically means Spring Breakers is available for streaming only on Amazon (in the US at least).

Boo-urns. Best film I saw all year, worth catching in the cinema if you have the opportunity.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Boo-urns. Best film I saw all year, worth catching in the cinema if you have the opportunity.

Would you say it's good, even if you generally run hot and cold with Korine? Most recent thing I saw by him that I liked what the short film he did for Die Antwoord, which I liked.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I loved it. Easily my favorite from last year. If you have Prime check it out. At worst you're out 90 minutes.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 22, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

mysterious frankie posted:

Would you say it's good, even if you generally run hot and cold with Korine? Most recent thing I saw by him that I liked what the short film he did for Die Antwoord, which I liked.

It's the best Korine film I've ever seen anyway. I genuinely loved it, especially as I got to see it in the cinema. It's definitely a film that needs to be turned up loud, the soundtrack and sound in general in the film are incredible. I'm also a huge fan of Benoit Debie's cinematography and Spring Breakers is absolutely gorgeous. Also it has Gucci Mane acting, worth the price of entry alone.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

mysterious frankie posted:

It's head and shoulders above everything else he's done - and I'm a big fan.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Me in Reverse posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of "The Act of Killing"?

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/the-act-of-killing-reenacting-war-crimes-with-indonesian-gangsters-a-882970.html

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

It's the best Korine film I've ever seen anyway. I genuinely loved it, especially as I got to see it in the cinema. It's definitely a film that needs to be turned up loud, the soundtrack and sound in general in the film are incredible. I'm also a huge fan of Benoit Debie's cinematography and Spring Breakers is absolutely gorgeous. Also it has Gucci Mane acting, worth the price of entry alone.

To say nothing of Double J Jeff Jarrett.

(Also Brittany from Glee albeit in a small part).

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
House of Voices. Two stars. This has a somewhat creepy atmosphere ("crumbling orphanage") plus interesting characters. However, the drat movie makes no sense, and the protagonist's motivation is nonexistent -- yet she's very insistent on getting to the bottom of things! What things? I don't know! Some how she does, though.

Severance. Three stars. Watched because it was recommended ITT a while ago. A perfectly adequate "slasher" flick. Scare quotes because not technically a slasher film, because the choice of weapon was not a blade. But certainly felt like one notwithstanding that one difference -- it really hit all the slasher film beats. Some humorous parts which I appreciated, showing that the movie wasn't taking itself too seriously. Warning: the Netflix synopsis makes it sound a lot different than what it is -- what with referencing "an international weapons company sales group." I thought it was going to be an actiony movie. NOPE. It's summer camp for adults (I'm telling you, this is a slasher film through and through).

Grabbers. Four stars. An alien horror comedy set on an island that has more charm than it has any right to claim. I dunno what else to say. I enjoyed it!

Dead Heat. Three stars. Do you like the 80’s? Do you like cheese? Do you like to have a few shots before a movie to lock in your enjoyment? If your answer to those three questions is yes, then you’ll like this movie. WARNGING: watch only with friends who enjoy so-bad-its-funny movies.

Maniac. Four :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:. I originally rated it three stars on Netflix, and then let it digest for a day and upticked it to four. Suuuuper uncomfortable to watch at times because of the choice of direction: the film is basically in the first-person view of the antagonist. Not too big of a spoiler, as you figure out the nature of that perspective from very, very early on, but I didn't realize that is how this movie played out. But because of that one choice, which I thought was shot pretty darn well, I thought this movie became incredibly unsettling and much more personal in connecting with the audience. It actually made me rethink my usual indifference towards movie characters in horror movies -- much more so than the godawful Funny Games.

Olympus Has Fallen. Two stars. This movie got drunk and then decided to masturbate to the pledge of allegiance, ejaculating America all over its dirty, bloated body. Two stars because it really earned its R rating: several "fucks" are thrown down, blood splatters from bullet wounds, and plenty of on-screen executions and head-shots. Yay, America!

Apart. Three stars. I really enjoy movies that use supernatural or magical realism. This was one of those movies -- the "rare disorder" of shared "disturbing cognitive dreams" that hooked me in to watch this movie really plays a secondary role to the more obvious allegory of a story about a destructive relationship. The only problem is that I got bored with the story after about an hour, and had to wait another 30 minutes before they finally came to a conclusion.

Heckler. One star. Ugh. “A bloo bloo it hurts that people are critical of my performance art.” Hecklers during live shows are annoying and poo poo, and I’m happy when the comic just shuts them down – either with or without a laugh or two. Like, seriously, gently caress those people. But that’s not what this was mainly about. It was essentially a circle jerk about the woe of being criticized for not being funny in whatever piece is being reviewed (mostly, movies). The complaints about criticism focusing on appearance of the performer are valid (because that is bullshit), but 95% of the whining in this is about the lowly common people actually having an opinion about whether the piece is not actually funny or good. Guess what: not everyone is going to like your poo poo, and some of your poo poo is probably not funny. Reasons why opinions aren’t valid according to this film: INTERNET GOONS; wanting to tear down people who are better than they are; NERDS; they can’t articulate the particular technical reasons why your comedy/performance wasn’t good; they never did this so therefore their opinion is worthless. Ugh. This film is about butt hurt feelings, with the occasional minor blip of legitimate criticism about criticism. That said, I appreciated Arsenio Hall’s input, as he was the most rationale, put-together person who was given more than a single line.

Only God Forgives. Four stars. I loved Drive. I thought Valhalla Rising had some interesting parts, but was overall plodding and slow. I really enjoyed this movie, even if (as mentioned before in this thread, I believe) it’s so much more akin to Valhalla rather than Drive.

Whoa I've watched a lot of movies recently. Hurrah, Netflix!

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Looks like Red Cliff is back on but the superior theatrical version instead of the cut "international" version they had before. Good movie if you're in the mood for a big ol' Chinese epic directed by John Woo.

Also Bronson for the Refn fans. I haven't seen it yet buy Valhalla Rising was interesting enough that I think I'll check it out.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 23, 2013

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)

Green Crayons posted:

Maniac. Four :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:. I originally rated it three stars on Netflix, and then let it digest for a day and upticked it to four. Suuuuper uncomfortable to watch at times because of the choice of direction: the film is basically in the first-person view of the antagonist. Not too big of a spoiler, as you figure out the nature of that perspective from very, very early on, but I didn't realize that is how this movie played out. But because of that one choice, which I thought was shot pretty darn well, I thought this movie became incredibly unsettling and much more personal in connecting with the audience. It actually made me rethink my usual indifference towards movie characters in horror movies -- much more so than the godawful Funny Games.

Whoa I've watched a lot of movies recently. Hurrah, Netflix!

Has nobody in this thread realized that this movie is pretty much a shot by shot remake of the original Maniac from 1980 starring Joe Spinell? It's not even a very good remake compared to the original. It's like someone trying to remake Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

in_absentia posted:

It's like someone trying to remake Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

This might actually work. Henry and Otis sit in front of their Macbook Pro, watching their recorded-on-iPhone murders...

Also I finally got around to seeing Jackie Brown (I know, I know) It was really good.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

in_absentia posted:

Has nobody in this thread realized that this movie is pretty much a shot by shot remake of the original Maniac from 1980 starring Joe Spinell? It's not even a very good remake compared to the original. It's like someone trying to remake Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Speaking of Maniac, was the sound fixed? I tried to watch it but I only got sound on my right speaker :(

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

in_absentia posted:

It's very, very far from shot-for-shot. And in my opinion, it's definitely an improvement on the original.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 24, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Joshlemagne posted:

Also Bronson for the Refn fans. I haven't seen it yet buy Valhalla Rising was interesting enough that I think I'll check it out.

Bronson was the first Refn movie I ever saw and it is glorious.. I should warn, however, that its basically the exact opposite in tone from Valhalla Rising, as its incredibly manic and essentially the batshit memoirs of a total psychopath retold in movie form.

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

It's very, very far from shot-for-shot. And in my opinion, it's definitely an improvement on the original.

You are simply wrong. There is no improving upon the original. It's a movie that just did not need to be remade, no matter how hard Frodo is trying to avoid being typecast. The original was just loving creepy and dirty. The remake is simply hollow and boring.

Next thing you know they will be remaking Don't Torture a Duckling.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

in_absentia posted:

You are simply wrong. There is no improving upon the original. It's a movie that just did not need to be remade, no matter how hard Frodo is trying to avoid being typecast. The original was just loving creepy and dirty. The remake is simply hollow and boring.

The original Maniac is pretty decent, but I don't see it as a perfect, unimproveable movie. And the remake brings a very fresh, different approach to it, especially compared to a lot of the other lovely horror remakes we see these days.

Also, Don't Torture A Duckling is indeed really good, but I don't see what it has to do with Maniac at all.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 24, 2013

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

This might actually work. Henry and Otis sit in front of their Macbook Pro, watching their recorded-on-iPhone murders...

Also I finally got around to seeing Jackie Brown (I know, I know) It was really good.
Probably one of Quentin's best. Gets ignored because it's not as quotable or violent as some of his other films. Max Cherry is the best character name in a fictional work for my money.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

in_absentia posted:

I don't see how it was Elijah Wood conspicuously trying to avoid being typecast when he's been in nothing but weird, crazy roles since LotR and is fairly open about the fact that since LotR made him more than enough money to live off of he has the luxury of picking and choosing roles that interest him.

If anything, between Sin City and Wilfred he's typecast as playing crazy weirdos now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm curious how you could call the Maniac remake shot for shot.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm curious how you could call the Maniac remake shot for shot.

Yeah, seriously. What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

in_absentia posted:

Has nobody in this thread realized that this movie is pretty much a shot by shot remake of the original Maniac from 1980 starring Joe Spinell?

You have somehow not seen either the original Maniac or the remake and are making a totally wrong statement. I mean you can not like the remake and that's fine, but don't manufacture reasons that just aren't there.

And Elijah Wood is a huge horror fan who actually has his own production company that will be making forward thinking horror flicks in a short time. No idea if they'll be any good, but give the guy a little more credit then some dude trying to reinvent his career.

The original Maniac is good to great (and the special edition blue underground blu ray is spectacular), but I'd probably take the remake for the record.

• Locked thread