Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
How to get a super well paid job in 2 easy steps:

Step 1: Be a foreigner in SEA

Step 2: Go out drinking regularly with new and interesting people

I went from Senior Call Center Drone to Senior Manager like that. Being 6'9 might have had an influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Which one of you is the scammer and which one is the military guy? I can't keep it straight.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ReindeerF posted:

Which one of you is the scammer and which one is the military guy? I can't keep it straight.

Can't I be both?

I am neither

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's just not possible. APOLOGIES.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

It looks close together on a map, but roads can be super lovely, which means that a bus trip takes waaaaay longer in Cambodia than it would in North America.

Longer, a lot more uncomfortable (bumpy roads + poor shocks = oh god my spine) can be crowded, if the a/c breaks you will be in absolute hell, even if everything goes smoothly you will be living this song and understanding why every band has one like it/covers it at some point.

Also don't forget to bring a little pack of travel tissues and hand sanitizer because none of the bathrooms will have toilet paper/soap and practice your squats because you WILL be using squat toilets (pro tip: if at a rest stop there is a McDonald's nearby, use their bathrooms not the public ones. The public ones will scar you for life. McDonald's bathrooms are just like in the states and free to use. Bonus: none of the zillions of Chinese tourists seem to have figured this out yet so they will be deserted while 100+ people from four different tour bus companies line up to use the holes in the ground).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Also note that while Thai roadside bus stop food sucks for edible food, Khmer roadside bus stop food is really horrible beyond belief.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If it's day time always try going up or down the road a bit from your scheduled stop, you can often find someone selling something tasty instead of the typically sub-cafeteria level food they often have at your scheduled stop.

If it's night time they'll probably be asleep and you're usually stuck with whatever is at the stop.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you're in Kampong Chnnang, yeah, Pursat, Krakor and others, not so much.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

Instead of looking for differences, look for similarities: Both are sexpats :rimshot: I'm not white and I'm not Japanese, so I don't fit the profile.

Seriously though, being white and networking in SEA can work wonders. Back a hundred years ago during blatant colonialism, Jardine met Matheson in a Hong Kong whore house and that's how they started their opium business which bloomed into trading/retail and real estate. It's not as blatant nowadays but still lingers on.

Oracle posted:

Also don't forget to bring a little pack of travel tissues and hand sanitizer because none of the bathrooms will have toilet paper/soap and practice your squats because you WILL be using squat toilets (pro tip: if at a rest stop there is a McDonald's nearby, use their bathrooms not the public ones.

gently caress squat toilets :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JofDuTmFpL8

quote:

Bonus: none of the zillions of Chinese tourists seem to have figured this out yet so they will be deserted while 100+ people from four different tour bus companies line up to use the holes in the ground).

And mainlanders don't really care about McDonald bathrooms because their kids would wearing split plants and just have them poo into the bushes/trees. Squatting is not a chore for them. Sitting on the ground is what freaks them out. That's my personal theory why mainland girls have nice legs/thighs, their heels are waaaaaaay too high and they squat all the time.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

ReindeerF posted:

Also note that while Thai roadside bus stop food sucks for edible food, Khmer roadside bus stop food is really horrible beyond belief.

Haha this reminds me of our Poipet border crossing. I saw this stall selling grilled meat on the Cambodian side and thought I should buy something to snack on. Walked up to them and saw only completely charred "meat". It was just burnt to hell. Didn't buy anything.

I've recently discovered chicken butts (tails) sold just near my apartment. They're bigger than in this pic insanely good. How will I be able to live without this?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Also note that while Thai roadside bus stop food sucks for edible food

I take issue with this only because at a Thai roadside bus stop I got khao lam for the first time from a friendly lady and it was freaking awesome. Also fresh fruit vendors (yes only during the day, but eat all the fresh fruit you can, nothing is more awesome than fresh-picked lychees and rambutan and whatever else they have on offer, and it is SO CHEAP). Also make Lowtax proud and try mangosteen, it is wonderful (don't eat the seeds).

Oracle fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 21, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA_570Ujal0

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Ha I'd totally forgotten how awful the bus stop food is in Thailand! Why is it so bad, what's the benefit of having such bad food in the majority of bus stops/stations?

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
I ate an awful lot of baguettes with mystery fillings in Laos and every single one of them was delicious. I wish they'd bring the baguette lady tradition to their neighboring countries.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

The two unqualifiedly good things about Vietnam were coffee and food. My mouth is watering at the mention of the mystery meat Banh Mis.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Banh mi trung chien (omelette banh mi) were my breakfasts for two years, yum!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ted Ed Fred posted:

Ha I'd totally forgotten how awful the bus stop food is in Thailand! Why is it so bad, what's the benefit of having such bad food in the majority of bus stops/stations?

Crappy transit stop food is universal. gently caress Boston China town bus station. It's pretty much a trapped market. And people arnt inclined to come back in X time and rather wait it out.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

ReindeerF posted:

The Khmer "buffet" style restaurants are really terrible in general. If I do get stuck at one of the bus stop restaurants I normally just order some fried rice or something, pretty hard to mess that up. Like Sheep-Goats mentioned though, I'll usually have a wander first and try to find some grilled meat or steamed num bao or whatever (my usual stop on the way down to the coast is pretty good for this). No way am I touching the slop that's been sitting out for hours.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

dantheman650 posted:

I booked tickets into/out of Bangkok Jan 18-26. It's a short trip but it's all I had time for. Would it be reasonable to spend a night or two in Bangkok, make it down to Phuket and spend a few days there, and get back to Bangkok?

This thread is massively overwhelming. What are a few must see/eat/dos?

Can't answer you, unfortunately, because I'm in the exact same situation as you, as a first-time traveler to the area with my trip still in the planning stages. In fact, my travel dates will be identical to yours (although I'm guessing I'll arrive in Thailand on the 19th and leave on the 25th, taking into account travel time from the U.S. east coast).

Based on reading this thread, Phuket isn't the nicest place to go, but I don't know what would be a better option (I do know the answer is not "Pattaya").

I'd also like to ask for advice on what to do. I'll be traveling solo and don't have any firm ideas about what I should do with my time. I do know I want to eat a lot of things, hopefully without getting horribly :barf: but I'm willing to take my chances. I don't like the idea of diving, but I really enjoy rock climbing. I'm not a party animal, but I do want to be somewhere with other travelers that I can do things with. Should I even plan on getting out of Bangkok and the immediate surroundings given that I'll only be there for a week?

Budget isn't a huge concern; with my time there being so brief, I'd rather enjoy it as much as possible instead of trying to spend a few less dollars (if saving money was my top priority, I'd stay home).

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I'd suggest heading out to the Krabi area then. I know there's some nice climbing there and flights there are relatively cheap if you book ahead. Like $60 on Bangkok Airways iirc.

And my buddy once accidentally bought some dog meat at a bus stop in Cambodia. She was in a hurry, found a stall and bought some meat but then saw the dog heads nearby shortly after. She ate it because she had no time to get anything else :gonk:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I posted a Krabi trip report and it's buried in the thread. I suggest fly in to BKK, then fly to Krabi. If you want a younger vibe stay in Krabi. If you want to go hard core rock climbing, stay in the rock climbing hostels in one of the island. My recommendation, stay in BKK for 3 days. Get rid of jet lag. Hang out with RingoR and gooons. Eat some coconuts and develop the bad shits (just get that out of the way). Then fly to Krabi, take a boat to Railay, spend a week there climbing different areas, try deep water solo.

Man this thread needs bookmarks. I don't mind spearheading the next SEA thread and maintaining the OP but I'm a scandalous CHINA GOON. First I take over the prime real estate, now the forums. Maybe I would even start a SEA WECHAT group.

Pixelante posted:

Hong Kong got killed by the crazy-high cost of flying from there to Siem Reap. I would have had to re-jig the whole plan to loop back another way, and the point was the revisit places I didn't see enough of on the first pass. :(

Siem Reap through anything will be pricey. It's the Cambodian airport taxes and surcharges which kill you. Just bus to BKK and air asia it. There's always next time too. But for me, SEA is kinda meh for me. I prefer the comfort of heated floors in :canada: and of course my #1 country in the world: AMERICA :911:

quote:

I'm not looking forward to the reverse culture shock of getting back to Vancouver Island in the depths of the coldest, wettest part of the year... but I am looking forward to New Years on Salt Spring Island with a pack of my nearest and dearest.

Oh by the way, the Canadians who own Joma Cafe in Luang Prabang have Nanaimo bars in the dessert case every day. I was like "hey, I live a few hours from Nanaimo! Those bars are named for a place I've been!" (Shut up it was the closest I'd gotten to a Canadian in a solid month and I went stupid.) And the guy behind counter was like, "Sabaidee! The only English I understand is 3/4ths of the menu!" because Laos.

:shobon: Aiya should have contacted me :colbert:

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 22, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The yellow menace is taking over!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNhaLUT520

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

caberham posted:

Man this thread needs bookmarks. I don't mind spearheading the next SEA thread and maintaining the OP but I'm a scandalous CHINA GOON. First I take over the prime real estate, now the forums. Maybe I would even start a SEA WECHAT group.

Just go around and start claiming all the other asian threads were originally Chinese threads and you want them back.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Chinese diplomacy:

1) Don't interfere in the affairs of other nations
2) China was first and has rights to all other nations

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Madd0g11 posted:

Just go around and start claiming all the other asian threads were originally Chinese threads and you want them back.

Goon meets is a kind of soft power.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Whoever is in charge, Thailand would like you to know that this shared administration was invited and pre-arranged.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

About flying into Bangkok and then flying to Phuket or Krabi - is that a floght I need to book well in advance or is that something easy enough to get spur of the moment?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

dantheman650 posted:

About flying into Bangkok and then flying to Phuket or Krabi - is that a floght I need to book well in advance or is that something easy enough to get spur of the moment?

Depends on your wallet really. There's not much you can do right now. You can check air asia or other Low cost carriers for a super duper cheap deal. If not, then just fly whenever.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

dantheman650 posted:

When are you planning to go?

\/\/\/ Yeah, that's what I was wondering about. If it's November through February, particularly December and January, book flights and fancy resorts/hotels in advance. You can wing buses and trains and things, but flights will fill up. I'd probably suggest Air Asia, since it's typically the cheapest on that route - unless someone else has a sale (TG sometimes does too). I just checked mid-December, for example, and they had a one-way flight in the evening for THB 960 all-in.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 22, 2013

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

You're going in high season. Book way in advance. Preferably now if you want the cheaper seats if there's any left.

Bangkok Airways is pretty cheap Bangkok-Krabi be sure to check their site too, they don't always show up in airfare searches.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Quick mosquito question:

I've been wearing socks all day (and all day yesterday- I've been wearing wool socks). I take off my socks today, and I've got a somewhat big red welt on my foot. Surely mosquitoes can't bite through socks (and shoes, if I got bit this afternoon)? Is it possibly a flea or a mite?

xcdude24 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 22, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I googled and it sounds like it's probably cancer.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Tomato Soup posted:

You're going in high season. Book way in advance. Preferably now if you want the cheaper seats if there's any left.

Totally I booked all my poo poo weeks ago for my trip. The most expensive thing was my hotel in haad rin for new years. loving 7 day minimum and 2k baht a night. I booked my train tickets early too was lucky cause the travel agency was telling me all the stuff between Christmas and new year was already almost sold out. Flights seemed like there were still some seats. I'm using Bangkok Airways for my hops.

If no one has made a Google doc of dudes visiting around Xmas and new years yet I'm down to make one.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Madd0g11 posted:

If no one has made a Google doc of dudes visiting around Xmas and new years yet I'm down to make one.

Make it quick before you get here. Once you're here the sangsom and sebai sebai take over and sap your will to do things like that. Haha.

Sup thread, I feel like I haven't posted in forever.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
http://www.adventurouskate.com/cambodia-has-changed-and-not-for-the-better/

There's too much there to quote selectively. Just loving :lol:

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

caberham posted:

Maybe I would even start a SEA WECHAT group.

That would be fun!

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

QQ, motherfucker

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Is there some way we can create a communal spreadsheet with restaurant recommendations? I have zero spreadsheet experience, so I'm wondering if it'd be possible to create one that's easy to navigate (given the fact that SE Asia is a huge place)

Quick restaurant talk: I went to this street in hanoi lined with grilled chicken vendors (ga nuong?). The chicken was incredible, but the highlight was probably the bread: they take banh mi baguettes, flatten them, brush them with honey, and grill them. The chili sauce was almost barbecue sauce-esque. I'll post pictures when I get home next week

xcdude24 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
It's a SEA Christmas and New Years

shared doc, do be posting.
fix it if you see a way to make it better.