Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

It's okay guys Sepp is going to make sure that working conditions are okay:

I thought Franz Beckenbauer told us these 'slaves' didnt actually exist? Make your minds up FIFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

What incentive do qatar have to change seeing as FIFA has already said it's going to be held there no matter what??

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
I personally am optimistic that the increased spotlight on FIFA's abuses will finally empower Sepp Blatter, a man who has been tragically blamed for endemic corruption beyond his control, to implement the widespread reform FIFA needs. We all should do our part to support Sepp in his crusade to clean up Qatar.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

What incentive do qatar have to change seeing as FIFA has already said it's going to be held there no matter what??

Thing is Qatar is deeply invested in what people think. Damien Hirst just managed to fleece them of tens of millions because Qatar is dead set on being the modern art capital of the world.

There could be a real impact on worker's rights provided the pressure is maintained. The problem internally is removing the sponsorship system. Many Qatari citizens make their living as sponsors, both of companies and expatriates, and surveys show that the vast majority want the khafala system tightened, not relaxed, so it won't be an easy sell.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

corpuscollossus posted:

Thing is Qatar is deeply invested in what people think. Damien Hirst just managed to fleece them of tens of millions because Qatar is dead set on being the modern art capital of the world.

There could be a real impact on worker's rights provided the pressure is maintained. The problem internally is removing the sponsorship system. Many Qatari citizens make their living as sponsors, both of companies and expatriates, and surveys show that the vast majority want the khafala system tightened, not relaxed, so it won't be an easy sell.

Thats because its slavery, plain and simple. No-one wanted to set the slaves free either.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

corpuscollossus posted:

Yeah, this.

If we assumed an actual good person with a non-robotic heart was in charge of FIFA, they would honestly be the perfect vessel for change in Qatar and the other slave states. It remains to be seen what Blatter can (or indeed will) do about the problem, but there is nothing wrong with the concept of professional sports as a conduit for change and progress.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Quite frankly i hope the whole arabian peninsular is claimed by the sea so i never have to hear about one of their loving slave built vanity projects again

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

the sex ghost posted:

I thought Franz Beckenbauer told us these 'slaves' didnt actually exist? Make your minds up FIFA

True slavery is being contractually required to play sport professionally for up to five years for no recompense other than £10m per annum

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Quite frankly i hope the whole arabian peninsular is claimed by the sea so i never have to hear about one of their loving slave built vanity projects again

If the place is this bad now, what do you think its going to be like in 70 years when the wells start to dry?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

True slavery is being contractually required to play sport professionally for up to five years for no recompense other than £10m per annum
For one of the most successful clubs in the world.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

serious gaylord posted:

Thats because its slavery, plain and simple. No-one wanted to set the slaves free either.

The lesson of Civil War history must then be that sending the US army into the Middle East will eventually sort it all out.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

serious gaylord posted:

If the place is this bad now, what do you think its going to be like in 70 years when the wells start to dry?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaHkhmjeAtM, except with a big pile of South Asian corpses

They're actually drying up right now, but luckily nobody has to be concerned because we checked and it turns out denial is actually a river in Egypt

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The only reason FIFA are even doing anything is because it turns out footballers are also stuck in Qatar and they managed to get word out

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrDCS9dSfTM

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

So what you are saying is Messi, Ronaldo and Zlatan are going to go into Qatar to rescue Arsene Wenger, only for it to all go awry?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Byolante posted:

So what you are saying is Messi, Ronaldo and Zlatan are going to go into Qatar to rescue Arsene Wenger, only for it to all go awry?

He didn't see the ambush :smith:

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

serious gaylord posted:

By then they should have invested their massive oil profits into diversifying their economy into other industries, like slave trading.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MisterBadIdea posted:

By then they should have invested their massive oil profits into diversifying their economy into other industries, like slave trading.
And modern art.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
An ESPNFC writer gets a free trip to Qatar, says it's great and the 2022 WC will be sunshine and lollipops

I love the line about how not drinking alcohol might help fans lose a few pounds

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

If you didn't think ESPNFC was poo poo before...

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
They've pulled the article

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Man, that is really really embarrassing. I cant believe it got past an editor. I wonder how many rolexes he got to write that. The part about the literal slavery is especially cringe-worthy. It's essentially "sure there's slavery, but it's mean to say nasty things about slavery, and I'm sure these Qatari bad assets will fix it".

On another note, I thought non-Muslims were allowed to drink in Qatar? I think there's a drinking license you can get.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

blue footed boobie posted:

On another note, I thought non-Muslims were allowed to drink in Qatar? I think there's a drinking license you can get.

I believe this is true but there's also a very limited number of places that are allowed to sell it. Apparently this is supposed to change during the World Cup but who knows

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

It's extra sad that the writer was Phil Ball, who I respected until now. He wrote an excellent cultural history of Spanish football called Morbo.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

T. Finninho posted:

They've pulled the article

For those who missed it: http://pdfcast.org/pdf/give-qatar-a-chance

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

CaptainRightful posted:

It's extra sad that the writer was Phil Ball, who I respected until now. He wrote an excellent cultural history of Spanish football called Morbo.

I'm pretty sure he wrote his own wikipedia article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Ball_(writer)

All of his sources are just his ESPNsoccernet articles

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I enjoy him screaming all over his twitter account that his article was "balanced."

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Was about to come here to say yeah, he's on twitter and he's responding, and defending himself vigorously loving lol

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

CubanMissile posted:

I enjoy him screaming all over his twitter account that his article was "balanced."

Newsflash, professional journo Phil Ball, but "balanced" isn't as important as "truthful"

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Akbar posted:

Newsflash, professional journo Phil Ball, but "balanced" isn't as important as "truthful"

It was balanced against the weight of all the gold watches he received.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
Good times...soccer player can finally leave Qatar after labor dispute.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/28/s...6219600000&_r=0

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Countdown to Sepp taking credit...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Are all the players at the world cup going to have to get exit visa when it finishes?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

pointsofdata posted:

Are all the players at the world cup going to have to get exit visa when it finishes?

They will all be signed by Qatari teams of course.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Gigi Galli posted:

They will all be signed by Qatari teams of course.

They'll still earn less than Januzaj.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Hey, if this is the Sepp Blatter Ruins Football thread, can it also be the Michel Platini Tries to Ruin Football thread?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25235277

quote:

European football chief Michel Platini has called for yellow cards to be replaced by a sin-bin.

"I would make it like rugby, punishing the offender with 10 or 15 minutes out of the game," he said in an interview with Spanish sports daily newspaper AS.

The former France captain, who won 76 international caps between 1976-87 and has run Uefa since 2007, also believes goalkeepers who concede a penalty should not be sent off.
"It seems excessive," he said. "The penalty is itself already is punishment enough.

:fuckoff:

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Sin bins are a good idea though...

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
What happens if a goalie gets a yellow?
10 minute substitution of an outfield player for the backup goalie, what if he gets a yellow then?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DickEmery posted:

No goalie :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

DickEmery posted: