Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For those manually updating Nexuses to 4.4 and rerooting with SuperSU (since the others are not ready for 4.4 yet) the secret to getting it working is to remove updates from System > Apps > All and rebooting. It will keep the latest version on the device which is 1.69 and it will then appear in the app drawer and not hang on superuser requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
gently caress, I've been reading the last few pages and I feel completely stupid. I know I want to do this because I want the capabilities that a rooted phone has, but I don't see a Nexus 5 tutorial in the OP and I just want to follow a set of steps that is recommended and verified by another poster, and newbie friendly obviously.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Benjamin Black posted:

gently caress, I've been reading the last few pages and I feel completely stupid. I know I want to do this because I want the capabilities that a rooted phone has, but I don't see a Nexus 5 tutorial in the OP and I just want to follow a set of steps that is recommended and verified by another poster, and newbie friendly obviously.
There's only one way to root a Nexus:
  • Install the Android SDK
  • For Windows, get the driver to work.
  • Boot to the bootloader, connect, then run from Terminal or the command line in the SDK directory:

fastboot oem unlock

• Follow the instructions on the device to unlock and wipe
  • Boot back into the bootloader and flash the recovery (placed in your SDK/platform-tools directory):

fastboot flash recovery recoveryfilename.img

• Boot to recovery, go to the sideload zip option and flash the superuser zip you'd like to use that you placed into your SDK/platform-tools folder by typing:

adb sideload superuserzipfilename.zip

Should take about three minutes if you know what you're doing and a half hour if you don't. Just Google Nexus root instructions and if you have questions ask here.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

LastInLine posted:

There's only one way to root a Nexus:
  • Install the Android SDK
  • For Windows, get the driver to work.
  • Boot to the bootloader, connect, then run from Terminal or the command line in the SDK directory:

fastboot oem unlock

• Follow the instructions on the device to unlock and wipe
  • Boot back into the bootloader and flash the recovery (placed in your SDK/platform-tools directory):

fastboot flash recovery recoveryfilename.img

• Boot to recovery, go to the sideload zip option and flash the superuser zip you'd like to use that you placed into your SDK/platform-tools folder by typing:

adb sideload superuserzipfilename.zip

Should take about three minutes if you know what you're doing and a half hour if you don't. Just Google Nexus root instructions and if you have questions ask here.

Uhh well I was watching this youtube video. Is this guy legit? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeIAWTiinL8

Sorry I'm being paranoid I just don't wanna gently caress up my phone.

Edit: I don't like that it requires downloading a file off his website.

Edit2: I'm trying out this guide. http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/04/how-to-root-the-nexus-5/

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 16, 2013

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Okay, I've run into an issue. I'm currently here:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/04/how-to-unlock-the-nexus-5-bootloader/

On step 4, it mentions I have to give my computer debugging access. Only.. I don't see a way to do that. It never asks like on the screenshot, and I don't see an option for it. But I know it's plugged into my computer, it even made the sound that recognizes the hardware on my desktop. Not sure what's up with that.

Another question too, are there software updates for the phone I should install before I do this? Does it matter?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This is correct. You follow the linked instructions to unlock the bootloader, then follow those instuctions to flash recovery and superuser. Like I said, it's only three commands after you get the drivers to work. On Linux or OS X, you won't even have that trouble.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Benjamin Black posted:

On step 4, it mentions I have to give my computer debugging access. Only.. I don't see a way to do that. It never asks like on the screenshot, and I don't see an option for it. But I know it's plugged into my computer, it even made the sound that recognizes the hardware on my desktop. Not sure what's up with that.
I don't remember having to do that on the Nexus 5. If you boot to the bootloader and type into the SDK "fastboot devices" do you see the device? If so that should be all you need.

Benjamin Black posted:

Another question too, are there software updates for the phone I should install before I do this? Does it matter?
No, it does not matter.

e: PM'd you.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Benjamin Black posted:

For the step involving giving your computer giving debugging access, what happens when you type "adb devices"?

As for software updates on the phone, don't worry about them. Having installed the latest version of the Android SDK (and ensuring the "Android SDK Tools" and "Android SDK Platform Tools" portions are installed/updated) is the more important part.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
My phone is rooted now, and in order to get the debugging access on my computer I had to get the latest Nexus Driver and install it through Device Manager AND I had to do that 'adb devices' thing.

Someone helped me out (who may wish to remain anonymous so that other people don't bug him to help) with the whole process and I got to say, it was terrifying. At one point my Android OS was broke and it wouldn't root and apparently it had to do with an older version being shipped with my phone so I had to download the latest images of that from the google website and flash it on and man oh man I'm just glad it's done.

At least now I understand a little bit about how it works. Most of it is hindsight.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Benjamin Black posted:

Someone helped me out (who may wish to remain anonymous so that other people don't bug him to help)
I've walked like ten people through the process from here, if I minded helping I wouldn't offer.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I've walked like ten people through the process from here, if I minded helping I wouldn't offer.

Fair enough, I just wasn't sure. Thanks for the help.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

No, it does not matter.
My experience is that is does matter. There's something weird about the OS version that the N5 originally ships with which doesn't play nice with SuperSU or perhaps root in general. Seen it on two phones now, plus a few posts here.

Of course, it doesn't matter in the sense of causing any permanent damager since you can just re-flash the factory image and root from there.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

My experience is that is does matter. There's something weird about the OS version that the N5 originally ships with which doesn't play nice with SuperSU or perhaps root in general. Seen it on two phones now, plus a few posts here.

Of course, it doesn't matter in the sense of causing any permanent damager since you can just re-flash the factory image and root from there.
Actually yeah, it did matter. I forgot that you told to flash the image before even beginning when I did mine and yep, the software on the phone refused to boot after unlocking the bootloader and flashing recovery. Even without a root attempt it just wouldn't boot up and as soon as he said it I was like, "Tunga... :argh:"

Still I think we can agree that it shouldn't matter. :v:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Need some help guys, how can I unroot CM 10.2 ?

I have that corporate email Airwatch thing on it and it's throwing a fit.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You mean go back to stock? Depending on your phone, just flash the factory image over top.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

If you just want to not be rooted, there's an option for that.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Zero VGS posted:

Settings---> Superuser---> Settings---> etc.

It's right under Developer Settings.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Has anyone tried out the new installer for Cyanogenmod? It doesn't have n5 support yet, and my n1 is too old to be supported.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaTard posted:

Has anyone tried out the new installer for Cyanogenmod? It doesn't have n5 support yet, and my n1 is too old to be supported.
Don't get me wrong, I understand why CyanogenMod has to have something like this, but I can't help but think that giving people a way to gently caress up their phone without understanding what they're doing is probably not a good thing. I mean, I get that you're not going to be able to train everyone on how to do it manually but when it can lead to a phone that won't work with no way for a novice user to go back, that's bad.

Like I said, I understand why they need something like this but what I don't know is why anyone who knows what CM is would want to go that route rather than gain an understanding of the process so that they can fix things when they inevitably go wrong.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Don't get me wrong, I understand why CyanogenMod has to have something like this, but I can't help but think that giving people a way to gently caress up their phone without having any idea how to get out of the inevitable problems that they will run into.
Yeah I feel that this is a terrible idea that will leave people with broken phones and no understanding of how to fix them. CM should focus on getting their product on OEM devices, not building an installer that targets the wrong audience and discourages people from actually understanding what they are doing.

How does this thing solve the various USB drive issues, for example? We've all run into these and this thread is full of the evidence. For a beginner it can be infuriating, and if you are the kind of person who wants a pretty GUI to install your phone OS, you're probably not the kind of person who is particularly familiar with Device Manager or driver troubleshooting techniques.

LastInLine posted:

I mean, I get that you're not going to be able to train everyone on how to do it manually but when it can lead to a phone that won't work with no way for a novice user to go back, that's bad.
Also the list of instructions on that page for "the old method" is rather misleading since half of them are just telling you how to turn on USB debugging so you can use ADB to reboot to the bootloader. You can replace all of that with "hold down two buttons on your phone". The order that they say to do some stuff in creates unnecessary steps too.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

If you just want to not be rooted, there's an option for that.

I know about that, but the Airwatch application scans the phone and flags it as "Compromised" until root capabilities are completely removed, as opposed to simply disabled in the Cyanogen menu. I'm not sure what it's looking at to decide whether to flag actually.

Edit: Some searching brought this up, don't suppose it's practical to try to correct all this? http://www.matrix42.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=12614

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 19, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I know about that, but the Airwatch application scans the phone and flags it as "Compromised" until root capabilities are completely removed, as opposed to simply disabled in the Cyanogen menu. I'm not sure what it's looking at to decide whether to flag actually.

Edit: Some searching brought this up, don't suppose it's practical to try to correct all this? http://www.matrix42.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=12614
Neither practical nor possible.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
To clarify, I'm totally fine with actually completely losing root if it means I can run Airwatch. I just don't want to have to flash my phone back to TouchWiz and reinstall my billion apps, I'd kill myself.

Edit: Conversely, if there was an Android app that could run Outlook Web Access in a phone friendly format and automatically do push checks for new mail, that'd work for me too.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 19, 2013

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Hi, not sure this is the right place to ask this question, but it's the closest I could find. I rooted my phone a while back and installed Cyanogenmod for my device(Droid 4). I had updated to a few new stable builds, until one day I accidentally did a nightly of whatever the CM equivalent is for Android 4.3. Now my Google Play Store can't connect, and my phone's wifi or LTE connection always shows up gray as if it doesn't work(although it does). I run into an occasional bug in other apps, but the biggest problem is probably Play Store.

I tried manually flashing an updated version of gapps back to the device, and when that didn't work, I tried re-flashing the older version of CM(and relevant gapps package). That broke everything. So I'm back on the mostly functional nightly build.

I read elsewhere that I should reset to factory settings, that worked for som e people, but not all. I'm VERY hesitant to do this because if it doesn't work, I'll have no way to get my existing apps back, since Google has a draconic policy concerning downloading apks from their store when not on your device. Does anyone have any familiarity with this issue, or any guesses on how to fix it?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Can you not get a company-paid blackberry or some poo poo and forward voice calls to your own nice phone, only carrying the BB whenever you're expected to be on top of email?

That's what I do without having to install "good for android" on my phone along with whatever security exclusions or exceptions the infosec group decided on including in good's config. Also I get the same/more separation of work/personal life by choosing to unforward + not carry anytime I want as anyone else.

edit: I guess I understand if they're letting you expense all/part of your personal phone bill, I got to do that up 'till 2010 when I was still on winmo anyway, if not, gently caress em.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 19, 2013

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

quote:

I read elsewhere that I should reset to factory settings, that worked for som e people, but not all. I'm VERY hesitant to do this because if it doesn't work, I'll have no way to get my existing apps back, since Google has a draconic policy concerning downloading apks from their store when not on your device. Does anyone have any familiarity with this issue, or any guesses on how to fix it?

I had a problem where, after installing CM, I could no longer and texts or hear/transmit sounds during phone calls. It was a problem with the version of my baseband and radio . Not exactly what you're saying, but maybe worth looking into.

Additionally, I've never had a problem reinstalling apps across multiple phones and Roms, when logged into my Google account.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Ashrik posted:

I had a problem where, after installing CM, I could no longer and texts or hear/transmit sounds during phone calls. It was a problem with the version of my baseband and radio . Not exactly what you're saying, but maybe worth looking into.

Additionally, I've never had a problem reinstalling apps across multiple phones and Roms, when logged into my Google account.

I wanted to try re-signing into my Google account, but I couldn't figure out how to do that in CM. It appears to be permanent.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've just downloaded Viper4Android. Has anyone else tried this? I use flac files and good headphones, but I normally don't use equalizers. So this should make my music sound like angels singing, right?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Well, I deleted my google account and went to re-add it, the prompt won't even come up. It just goes back to the menu.
I guess I'm just going to wait for the next stable release and then reset if I have to, and pray that fixes the problem.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I want to put a none stock rom on my s3 but I really don't want to give up my solid 4G connection or stop my camera from working.

Is there a stable/complete rom for the verizon s3 that the camera works and the signal works?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
My rooted, stock ROM, sprint galaxy nexus keeps trying to install the 4.3 update again. I already installed it and re-rooted. The second time it came up I installed it again thinking it was messed up or was a new update. Now I just think its loving stupid. Why is it trying to install the update again? Any ideas?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

I want to put a none stock rom on my s3 but I really don't want to give up my solid 4G connection or stop my camera from working.

Is there a stable/complete rom for the verizon s3 that the camera works and the signal works?

About a year ago I had that phone for work and put CM10 on it, and everything worked perfectly.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Zero The Hero posted:

Well, I deleted my google account and went to re-add it, the prompt won't even come up. It just goes back to the menu.
I guess I'm just going to wait for the next stable release and then reset if I have to, and pray that fixes the problem.

I don't understand why you did that or why you would fear that anything would do that to you when you didn't want it to. Is your phone now semi-useless to you, unable to access any of google's services?

Anyways, the version of gapps has to properly correspond with the version of CM or whatever rom you're using. Same goes for the baseband/radio- did you look into that? It was very obscure, until I searched for that term (by that, I mean that googling the problem took a while).

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 20, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

rotaryfun posted:

CleanROM is really good, it's stock but not as lovely, you can flash a theme that makes it look just like AOSP and retains all the features of the phone.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

big mean giraffe posted:

CleanROM is really good, it's stock but not as lovely, you can flash a theme that makes it look just like AOSP and retains all the features of the phone.

Before I do anything with the phone (bootloader/recovery/etc), do I need to do an IMEI backup like mentioned in this thread?

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/32397-tutorial-imei-backup-nv-with-qpst-us-variants/

Or should I even worry about that?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero The Hero posted:

Ashrik is right, this is almost certainly a conflict between the radio version and your CM version.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Ashrik posted:

I don't understand why you did that or why you would fear that anything would do that to you when you didn't want it to. Is your phone now semi-useless to you, unable to access any of google's services?

Anyways, the version of gapps has to properly correspond with the version of CM or whatever rom you're using. Same goes for the baseband/radio- did you look into that? It was very obscure, until I searched for that term (by that, I mean that googling the problem took a while).

I did it because I thought its cached copy of my password might have gotten corrupted, or something. Honestly, the only additional thing my phone can't do is sign in to my youtube account. Authenticator still works, so does Maps.

I tried re-flashing gapps too, although there may have been a further update, I'll try again. I haven't ever heard the term baseband radio in relation to android or cm, so I'll google that. Thanks

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero The Hero posted:

I tried re-flashing gapps too, although there may have been a further update, I'll try again. I haven't ever heard the term baseband radio in relation to android or cm, so I'll google that. Thanks
Basically here's how things work on a locked device like you have. There's no reason a for manufacturers to make sure important bits aren't incorporated into things like the bootloader or radio (which are typically black boxes) for different software to work because presumably the OEM is the only one who'll be making software. So CM does their development and will eventually move beyond the official OEM software but because of some change to how something works the software won't work with older basebands or bootloaders.

This happened on the Nexus 4 actually when Google had to go back and tie in a lot of sensor functionality to the radio so that users couldn't flash an older radio to enable unlicensed LTE capability. Now when you use a mismatched radio things like rotation break.

So how does this help you? I can't really say as I don't have any experience with your device or even locked devices in general. What I'd guess is that you'll have to take your device to a certain software version that is exploitable but contains the radio you likely need. From there you'll start over with installing CM on top of the correct bootloader and radio. But again that's just in general and you'll have to do the legwork to find out how this is done for your locked device.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So I'm running 4.3 stock rooted on my Nexus 10. I just got the notification that the 4.4 OTA update is ready to go. I can just unroot with SuperSu, install the OTA, then re-root with the new zip through the normal recovery route, right? Or do I even need to unroot? I know the last update didn't like the way SuperSu works, so I wanted to check before I started screwing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Echophonic posted:

So I'm running 4.3 stock rooted on my Nexus 10. I just got the notification that the 4.4 OTA update is ready to go. I can just unroot with SuperSu, install the OTA, then re-root with the new zip through the normal recovery route, right? Or do I even need to unroot? I know the last update didn't like the way SuperSu works, so I wanted to check before I started screwing with it.

Just pulled the 4.4 OTA update on my Nexus 4 without unrooting. It rebooted into CWM Recovery and installed normally, but I lost root after that. After rebooting into recovery, it seems like it had reverted to stock recovery.

So I plugged the phone in fastboot mode again, reflashed CWM Recovery, reinstalled the Superuser zip and that seems to be holding up.

I did try only reflashing CWM Recovery, but it just reverted itself to stock again afterwards. I'm assuming the Superuser install script has an extra necessary step.