Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Install Windows posted:

Seagate bought Samsung's hard drive business a few years back, and now the only companies actually manufacturing drives are Seagate, Western Digital and Toshiba.

Any new hard drives you see under a different brand were manufactured by one of these three companies, and all three companies have identical reliability these days.

Didn't realize that Seagate is Samsung are one and the same now, interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hoobajoo posted:

Didn't realize that Seagate is Samsung are one and the same now, interesting.

To clarify, this is what's happened:

Beyond just the overall ownership, most hard drive companies share major suppliers of parts with one or both of the other manufacturers (like for drive heads, or platters) so they're pretty much working from the same base on most things. That's why that big flood in Southeast Asia a few years back made all hard drives cost a lot more, every hd manufacturer was sourcing parts from there and had relied on the ruined factories.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

razz posted:

I only have a debit card, and I use it for everything including online purchases. At a lot of places (drive-through windows, getting gas, online purchases), I don't even have to put in my PIN so it does work exactly like a credit card in that regard. I can choose to run it as credit or as debit at most stores, which is irrelevant as it comes out of the same account either way. The only difference is whether or not I am asked to enter my PIN.

I never have to go through any extra security steps to use it online. It's exactly like a credit card, just enter the name, number and expiration date on the card, enter your billing and shipping information and you're good to go. I make a LOT of online purchases (often multiple times a week). Never had an issue.

The thing is though that if your account is compromised, they could clean out your checking account leaving you with very little recourse. Debit cards don't have the same kind of fraud liability projection that credit cards do.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

stubblyhead posted:

The thing is though that if your account is compromised, they could clean out your checking account leaving you with very little recourse. Debit cards don't have the same kind of fraud liability projection that credit cards do.

Actually, if someone makes unauthorized transactions with your debit card number, but your card is not lost, you are not liable for those transactions if you report them within 60 days of your statement being sent to you. If you lose the card and report it lost within two days, you are only responsible for $50 of the fraudulent charges. None of them if you report it stolen before any charges.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Actually, if someone makes unauthorized transactions with your debit card number, but your card is not lost, you are not liable for those transactions if you report them within 60 days of your statement being sent to you. If you lose the card and report it lost within two days, you are only responsible for $50 of the fraudulent charges. None of them if you report it stolen before any charges.

Yes, but it can take weeks for them to get the money back to you. That could leave you with a drained checking account and no money to pay bills with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RaoulDuke12 posted:

The difference is that with the debit card the money is already gone until the disputed charge(s) investigation and reimbursement is done. With a credit card the charges are put into dispute and you are not out any money.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

And you aren't liable for that $50 of fraudulent charges if you had used a credit card.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
That's all true and everything but since he said:

quote:

they could clean out your checking account leaving you with very little recourse

I felt the need to clarify since that isn't really true.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Alkanos posted:

Obviously you folks talking about no one using checks don't work at Pennsylvania DMV centers. Checks and Money Orders only. Yes, that means they not only will they not take credit or debit cards, but they don't accept cash either. Luckily we can still do most stuff through the website, which does allow credit/debit cards.

They'll take cash if you walk in there with it, they just don't like it. And like you said, the website takes credit.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RaoulDuke12 posted:

That's all true and everything but since he said:

I felt the need to clarify since that isn't really true.

Well, to clarify further, the bank may take a while getting you that reimbursement, and if you have other payments pending, they will dick you for lots of charges. Only fools and people who can't handle finances use debit cards preferentially considering the rewards and additional protection they offer.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Werner-Boogle posted:

Money questions!

When we were on vacation in Spain we paid for everything with a Visa card. Some shops asked if we wanted to pay in Euroes or our local currency (Danish kroner DKK). What's the difference?

They either exchange to your currency in the shop and charge you that amount or they charge you in their currency and your card provider does the exchange.

I am sure I read somewhere that it it is better to pay in the local currency as you'll get a better exchange rate through your card company.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

baquerd posted:

Well, to clarify further, the bank may take a while getting you that reimbursement, and if you have other payments pending, they will dick you for lots of charges. Only fools and people who can't handle finances use debit cards preferentially considering the rewards and additional protection they offer.
All the negatives were true in the '90s or something, but if you don't have a debit card, you probably don't know it's not true anymore. Mine offers me all the protection of a credit card with no hassle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thelightguy posted:

They'll take cash if you walk in there with it, they just don't like it. And like you said, the website takes credit.

I can't wait until the web site will deal with those of us with commercial licenses. I know by percentage that's not much.....but really....why does everything have to be different because I have a few endorsements most other people don't have? Let me send you renewal money the same way. The only endorsement that requires any scrutiny past a regular driver's license is hazmat (have to take a test each time).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

spog posted:

They either exchange to your currency in the shop and charge you that amount or they charge you in their currency and your card provider does the exchange.

I am sure I read somewhere that it it is better to pay in the local currency as you'll get a better exchange rate through your card company.

Maybe!

For Americans abroad: All Capital One credit cards have NO foreign currency exchange fee (average is about 3%) and the exchange rate they use is almost exactly what google will tell you is the current exchange rate. In this case, it's definitely better to let Capital One handle the exchange (that is, tell the cashier you want to pay in the local currency instead of USD).

With the normal 3% fee though, it could go either way about which is the better choice.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

All the negatives were true in the '90s or something, but if you don't have a debit card, you probably don't know it's not true anymore. Mine offers me all the protection of a credit card with no hassle.

My friend's mom (US) had her purse stolen, and she lost the $300 in her checking account to someone buying gasoline with her debit card.
The credit card charges (also gasoline :confused:) were dropped, but she never got that debited $300 back.

Really depends on your bank, I guess. I've never heard of great fraud protection on a debit card, but maybe I just haven't found the right bank.

(edited to be less snarkily worded, sorry)

alnilam fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 22, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Anne Whateley posted:

Mine doesn't. When my debit card info got stolen recently, it took ten business days to get the money back in my account, even though it was an obvious theft. Which would have sucked if that were my only card/bank account.

I did get all the money back, but ten business days is a while to have a zero bank balance. The problem was apparently on the MasterCard fraud protection end, according to my bank.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Okay, I'm sure there are debit cards with lovely terms just like there are credit cards with predatory terms. I just mean that isn't the case across the board anymore.

v When my debit card number was stolen (a website I'd bought from was hacked), I was not without access, that's what I'm saying. They overnighted me a new card, which I had in my hands the next morning, and I could still use my account online in the meantime. I wasn't out a dime.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 22, 2013

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Anne Whateley posted:

Okay, I'm sure there are debit cards with lovely terms just like there are credit cards with predatory terms. I just mean that isn't the case across the board anymore.

It doesn't matter how good or terrible the debit card's terms are. In the best case scenario with your debit card lost/stolen/hacked you will spend SOME amount of time without any money at all. That length of time could be a day, a week, or longer. In the worst case scenario with a credit card your checking account will be untouched, leaving you to be able to pay bills, get to work, and eat. That's why people encourage use of a credit card over a debit card (provided you can be trusted to manage your money).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

^^^^^^
That's the bottom line here.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I have recently installed ~100 thin plastic ceiling tiles in a dropped ceiling. They are so light and new they don't sit entirely flush with the grid and leave uneven gaps of 1/8-1/4" that bother me. I am trying to think of a sensible way to weigh them down so they sit flush. The best thing I can think of is Ziploc bags + corn, beans or synthetic bean bag filler. Looking for other cheap easy options.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I have recently installed ~100 thin plastic ceiling tiles in a dropped ceiling. They are so light and new they don't sit entirely flush with the grid and leave uneven gaps of 1/8-1/4" that bother me. I am trying to think of a sensible way to weigh them down so they sit flush. The best thing I can think of is Ziploc bags + corn, beans or synthetic bean bag filler. Looking for other cheap easy options.
Tiny sandbags?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ceiling Tile Panel Clips

There are very cheap versions used for drafty locations and more expensive versions used for fire rated tile. They should not be difficult to find.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Pennies?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Thank you everybody for the advice!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Also do you actually have 4TB of stuff to back up? I'd suggest getting two 2TB drives and backing up on both, keeping one somewhere other than where you keep the first and refreshing it every month or so.
Yeah, just got a GoPro and the videos are loving huge. Never thought I'd run out of space that quick, but we've already filled up another 4TB. I'm also looking into cloud storage for some of my stuff as a secondary backup.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

moana posted:

Thank you everybody for the advice!

Yeah, just got a GoPro and the videos are loving huge. Never thought I'd run out of space that quick, but we've already filled up another 4TB. I'm also looking into cloud storage for some of my stuff as a secondary backup.

You'll never watch 90% of that stuff ever again. And there's no reason not to encode it to a more reasonable size so you're not filling up 4 TBs worth of space on the regular. Get Handbrake, use constant quality = 13 (which is way more quality than you'll need, you could easily get away with quality 14 or 15 and probably never notice the difference) and you'll cut the size by 50%+ and never notice any quality difference. I'm guessing you're using the highest quality on the gopro (35 or 45 Mb/s depending on model) -- it's a tremendous waste of space.

If you're recording at 45 Mb / s that's already almost 400 hours of video you've shot. If you spend a full 40 hour work week every week watching just what you've shot so far it'll take 2.5 months to get through it. I think you'd be better served by prioritizing what you're recording and saving. I'm sure your newborn is cute and all but priorities, man.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm guessing you're using the highest quality on the gopro (35 or 45 Mb/s depending on model) -- it's a tremendous waste of space.
++

When you watch TV, it's probably in the neighborhood of 10Mbit. So, you could knock the 35Mbit down to 10 and it would still be as good as or better than cable/satellite TV.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

axolotl farmer posted:

Some American online stores, like somethingawful.com, only accept credit cards.

I assume this restriction is on some specific type of debit card, because mine works anywhere a credit card works. As far as the shop can tell, it is a credit card. There's no way they could prevent debit cards being used.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
When americans say a thing like Is x relevant, what do they mean exactly relevant to what and what considerations are used when making a judgement on such a topic?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Crankit posted:

When americans say a thing like Is x relevant, what do they mean exactly relevant to what and what considerations are used when making a judgement on such a topic?

Can you elaborate? I can't imagine a scenario where the basic definition of the word isn't being used, or why it would vary by culture.

I say something is relevant when it's germane to the current topic. That will always be a somewhat subjective judgment, but I imagine there are some formal debate rules/Roberts Rules/courtroom procedures that lay out some specific guidelines for relevance.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Crankit posted:

In the absence of context, it usually means does X effect everyday life for a significant number of people.

dr. madlove
Jul 21, 2008
Whoa, I popped into GBS for the first time in years and what the hell happened there? I tried googling for some background story but nothing really concrete showed up. Is the more civilized GBS of yesterday gone forever?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I have to work thanksgiving at walmart. This nets me a 25% discount on any one item in the store. From $1600 TVs to $.15 candy. I don't really have any need for the discount, any suggestions on what to do with it? I can also only use it on the 5/6 of december.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Why are farts funny, if you think about it they shouldn't, a fart as I understand things is a small volume of gas released from the anus as the result of anaerobic digestion in the intestine, and it smells of poo poo. By rights this shouldn't be humourous at all it should be an unpleasant thing that just happens sometimes.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Because it makes a funny sound ya goon

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dr. madlove posted:

Whoa, I popped into GBS for the first time in years and what the hell happened there? I tried googling for some background story but nothing really concrete showed up. Is the more civilized GBS of yesterday gone forever?

Mods got tired of modding it, so made it a free-for-all and say it is permanent.

Hopefully they will rename it '4chan-lite' to be a more accurate title.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SlayVus posted:

So I have to work thanksgiving at walmart. This nets me a 25% discount on any one item in the store. From $1600 TVs to $.15 candy. I don't really have any need for the discount, any suggestions on what to do with it? I can also only use it on the 5/6 of december.
Can you buy giftcards at a discount? Because 25% off on whatever you want to buy at some later date isn't a bad deal.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

SlayVus posted:

You could sell it to someone for a 10% cut. Then spend the money on cocaine and hookers, or whatever else you want to buy that you can't find at Wal-Mart.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Crankit posted:

Why are farts funny, if you think about it they shouldn't, a fart as I understand things is a small volume of gas released from the anus as the result of anaerobic digestion in the intestine, and it smells of poo poo. By rights this shouldn't be humourous at all it should be an unpleasant thing that just happens sometimes.

Why should it not be funny? What are the requirements of humour that you believe it fails to meet?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Crankit posted:

It's always kind of funny to send farts to a friend. Watching a friend react to a silent but deadly is always funny. They would totally do the same if the tables were reversed.

If you haven't already seen it, Shaun of the Dead had a beautifully touching fart joke.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Can you buy giftcards at a discount? Because 25% off on whatever you want to buy at some later date isn't a bad deal.

No gift cards, no phone cards, no tobacco, no alcohol.

Also can't be sold, I have to buy said item with the help of a manager.