Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Bay area hockey goons, where do you get your skates sharpened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Zodijackylite posted:

I'm looking to get a new street hockey stick, something relatively inexpensive - ideally in the $20-30 range, wood shaft is fine. I play infrequently and casually. The problem I have is that I need a really long stick - I'm 6'10" so most street sticks I come across are too short. Are there any inexpensive but extra long sticks? Should I just get off my rear end and drive a few towns over to PureHockey?

I have a couple of Sherwoods I use for occasional outdoor use...make sure whatever you get is an ABS blade. Anything isn't ABS is going to get utterly demolished. As stated below you might be better served getting a shaft for a bit more. Something like this put a 6 inch butt extension on it with an ABS blade and it will be a good size. Nice thing about a shaft is that when you break the blade you can usually get a new on in there and that can will you about $15 a pop.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Pinky Artichoke posted:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-jose-skate-sharpening-and-profiling-san-jose

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

I went there once. It's a pretty long drive to an unfamiliar neighborhood (I don't play at Sharks Ice), and I had to wait 30+ minutes alone in the creepy empty shop. So I guess I was hoping for options that feel a little less like the setup for a low-budget horror movie.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

http://www.colthockey.com

Crazy strong hockey stick for 285.00 after tax.

Their kickstarted is pretty interesting. No idea if it's really that much different. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/colthockey/the-colt-engineering-a-better-hockey-stick

DC, go get one of these and see if you can break it with a slapshot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

No 65 flex no dice. :colbert:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

They've got a 75 flex and will likely add junior and intermediate sticks after the initial rush.

I'm skeptical and will let someone else drop their hard earned cash first.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I went there once. It's a pretty long drive to an unfamiliar neighborhood (I don't play at Sharks Ice), and I had to wait 30+ minutes alone in the creepy empty shop. So I guess I was hoping for options that feel a little less like the setup for a low-budget horror movie.

Creepy? It's pretty regular in there. If you're not in San Jose your choice is probably "where ever you go skate".

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

http://www.colthockey.com

Crazy strong hockey stick for 285.00 after tax.

Their kickstarted is pretty interesting. No idea if it's really that much different. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/colthockey/the-colt-engineering-a-better-hockey-stick

DC, go get one of these and see if you can break it with a slapshot.

I dont actually (now im going to on Saturday) break sticks almost ever.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

D C posted:

I dont actually (now im going to on Saturday) break sticks almost ever.

Please report back on Sunday about your (cursed) broken stick

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think I'm about to witness a literal mutiny.

This team I've skated a drop-in session with is run by this old dude (mid 50s?). He played in college and around the minors for a while and got 1 NHL game which he talks about constantly, but now he's just old and really seriously terrible though he remains enormous. He plays defense and is a drat bionic warrior type, wears ridiculous pro shoulder pads and every other piece of protective equipment available, which normally is fine, but then runs about hitting people which is lame to begin with but particularly lame when you've uparmored yourself to the maximum level possible. Fortunately at this point he's too slow to be any real threat most of the time.

His team was playing the Canadian team last week, and they have this kid from Montreal who is a phenomenal player and just about the nicest/friendliest dude you'll ever meet on the ice and off. He's also pretty small. He's also black, which isn't relevant to this story but he did have some awful person sling some racial slurs at him earlier this year which got said dude banned for a year.

Anyway, last Sunday Canadian dude was wrecking old awful dude's team, old awful dude is about to get skinned at his own blue line AGAIN so his response is to very deliberately stick out a leg. He catches Canadian dude knee on knee, Canadian dude tears ACL and MCL, old dude is kicked out of the game and is currently awaiting word on a suspension. Old dude's team was just as pissed as the Canadian team was for obvious reasons as that was a pretty awful move and they are pretty cool guys.

Fast forward to last night, I'm playing drop in with these guys, old dude totally runs one of his own teammates (who is also huge). They collide, go down, etc. Words are exchanged and so on. After the game, old dude leaves, and the guys remaining in the locker room are literally planning out how they will seize the team from old dude and send him packing. It involved having their biggest guy (an old CHL goon) "take care of it" while they simultaneously ask the league commissioner to ban him for 10+ games. It was like watching a soap opera but with more injuries.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Had a game last night, and the bottom of my skate is separating from the boot. Anybody have any recommendations on a solid pair of skates to buy in the ~$300 range? Not really super picky on which brand. I've only ever used Bauer in the past and haven't really had any issues.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Go to the store and try on skates. Buy the most expensive ones you feel comfortable with that fit the best.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Then stick with Bauer, everyone seems to love the stuff they're putting out.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
The only store near me is an overpriced nightmare staffed by people that constantly try to press you into buying more expensive options for whatever you are in there for. Also they are absolutely garbage at sharpening skates. Are there any good sites aside from hockeymonkey and hockeygiant?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the gear websites will be about the same due to pricing restrictions imposed by manufacturers. If you're content with 1 or 2 year old gear you can get lucky with clearance sales though.

icewarehouse is a decent merchant. totalhockey has an online store though I've never heard of anyone using it. There's at least one other out there but I can't remember the name of it right now.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

xzzy posted:

All the gear websites will be about the same due to pricing restrictions imposed by manufacturers. If you're content with 1 or 2 year old gear you can get lucky with clearance sales though.

icewarehouse is a decent merchant. totalhockey has an online store though I've never heard of anyone using it. There's at least one other out there but I can't remember the name of it right now.

Icewarehouse was the other one I was thinking of. I usually check out all the clearance sections/sales before looking at buying new. Looks like hockeymonkey has a 20% off pretty much everything sale right now, so I will probably get some Vapor X:70s or something.

Thanks for the help

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What size skate are you and have you taken them to said store to see if they can be repaired? Or do you just want new skates (I don't blame you if you do)

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

sellouts posted:

What size skate are you and have you taken them to said store to see if they can be repaired? Or do you just want new skates (I don't blame you if you do)

Size 12 skates. There is almost definitely no way to repair them, but they are six years old with heavy use during five of those six years. They were also 70 dollars when I bought them.

I definitely want new skates.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Chemmy posted:

Creepy? It's pretty regular in there. If you're not in San Jose your choice is probably "where ever you go skate".

Regular like an empty space with no customers, employees, or merchandise.

It's going to be a special trip regardless, I don't think I've ever had a non-tournament game scheduled for within 2 hours of a pro shop's hours of operation.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

bewbies posted:

Assholes in sports.

Had a team practice once and the fattest, most worthless player on our team flat out elbows our best center in the mouth.

After we made sure the center had all his chiclets, it took exactly three minutes for us all to toss the rear end in a top hat.

He's pleading his case, while no one is listening and our captains had the vote right then and there.

What I'm saying here is, I'm glad to know there are assholes at all levels of a sport.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So apparently this league I'm in allows players to skate without any sorta facial protection. I'm wincing at the thought that one of the few players that actually does this is gonna lose an eye one of these days. It's only a mid-level beer league.

Oh and I came across a great helmet/cage combo: Easton E700 helmet and Itech titanium cage I found on Ebay. It's crazy how light it is on my head. Now I just have to get used to skating with bars again.

Also, I got new shoulder pads: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-hockey-undergarment-pro-compression-ss-sr.html

It's pretty much a sleeveless compression shirt with padding as well as shoulder + bicep pads attached, but it's really comfortable and actually an upgrade to the hacked up +10 year old thing I was wearing previously

shyduck fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 23, 2013

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

inSTAALed posted:

The only store near me is an overpriced nightmare staffed by people that constantly try to press you into buying more expensive options for whatever you are in there for. Also they are absolutely garbage at sharpening skates. Are there any good sites aside from hockeymonkey and hockeygiant?

I'm assuming you're talking about FiveHole. The last time I got my skates sharpened there, the guy didn't level them correctly. Instead of the blades being flat like this: - - the edges were angled like this: / \ I had a game that night and during warmups I couldn't make an outside turn without falling because I had no outside edges at all. Luckily the pro shop at the rink I was at was still open and I got em fixed - they didn't even charge me for fixing it.

You skate at the Plex - have you ever been in the pro shop over there? The owner does a pretty good sharpening job (the girl at the pro shop in the Cary Ice House is also really good - the two of them are about the only people around that I trust with my skates). His space is limited so I don't know what his equipment inventory is like.

Can I gripe about wingers not being where they need to be in the defensive zone? Good god. We have some wingers on my team who constantly drop too far down in our defensive end. The end result of this of course is that those of us back on D don't have an outlet pass to clear the zone, but even worse is that they get in the loving way. I had one of my own wingers take me out last night because she was so far out of position and I bruised my tailbone pretty badly in the crash that resulted. It hurts to sit and I haven't been able to get comfortable all drat day.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I'm assuming you're talking about FiveHole. The last time I got my skates sharpened there, the guy didn't level them correctly. Instead of the blades being flat like this: - - the edges were angled like this: / \ I had a game that night and during warmups I couldn't make an outside turn without falling because I had no outside edges at all. Luckily the pro shop at the rink I was at was still open and I got em fixed - they didn't even charge me for fixing it.

Thats impossible, unless they were using some sort of sharpening machine ive never seen before...

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

D C posted:

Thats impossible, unless they were using some sort of sharpening machine ive never seen before...

Maybe I should clarify. The blades weren't pointed like this: ^ . The left one angled out this way: / and the right one angled this way: \ so that my inside edges were longer than my outside edges. I don't know how he managed it but I saw it for myself at the second place where I got my skates fixed. The person there showed me with the leveling (balancing?) tool they use. Definitely the most jacked-up sharpening I've ever had.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 24, 2013

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

You skate at the Plex - have you ever been in the pro shop over there? The owner does a pretty good sharpening job (the girl at the pro shop in the Cary Ice House is also really good - the two of them are about the only people around that I trust with my skates). His space is limited so I don't know what his equipment inventory is like.

Can I gripe about wingers not being where they need to be in the defensive zone? Good god. We have some wingers on my team who constantly drop too far down in our defensive end. The end result of this of course is that those of us back on D don't have an outlet pass to clear the zone, but even worse is that they get in the loving way. I had one of my own wingers take me out last night because she was so far out of position and I bruised my tailbone pretty badly in the crash that resulted. It hurts to sit and I haven't been able to get comfortable all drat day.

I play at Cary and Garner Ice House right now. The Iceplex has the best sharpening in the area by far. The guy who used to run the proshop is working for some team in Europe as their equipment manager now, but he has several guys he trained that took up where he left off. And, yeah, Fvehole sucks so much.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
So it's starting to look like I might be working in NYC (and possibly living in Hoboken or something, not sure yet) starting next year. Any goons know of good rinks in the NYC or North Jersey areas?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

inSTAALed posted:

I play at Cary and Garner Ice House right now. The Iceplex has the best sharpening in the area by far. The guy who used to run the proshop is working for some team in Europe as their equipment manager now, but he has several guys he trained that took up where he left off. And, yeah, Fvehole sucks so much.

Yeah, I miss the guy who used to run the pro shop at the Plex (he's in Finland now if I remember right). He far and away did the best sharpening I ever had.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Was able to try on some skates this weekend. As a guy that has pretty much always played on Mission skates and only recently (last year and a half) gotten back into vaguely competitive play I never really tried anything else on. So tried on the newest AC 2's from Mission and didn't like them. At all. Too much space in the toe box. Didn't feel anchored in the skate. A number of people I play with seem to roll on Alkali's so I gave them a shot. Very very nice pair of skates. The Bauer's are also excellent. Unfortunately the store I was in didn't have exactly what I was looking for, but the internet did. Pair of 9.5 Alkali CA9 RPDs on clearance with an extra 15% off are now my new Christmas present to me. I played 300+ games on my Missions and they have served me well, but that chassis is flexing a whole lot and a top tier skate for sub $300 is very difficult to beat.

Also, for any other roller guys if you need wheels Hockey Monkey currently has some random Lebeda Addictions 76As on clearance for $10 and you can use the 20% off code on them. Picked 4 wheels up for $32.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Trip Report:

No broken stick, (brought 3 just in case) 1g 1a in a 3-2 loss :smith:

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Vicas posted:

So it's starting to look like I might be working in NYC (and possibly living in Hoboken or something, not sure yet) starting next year. Any goons know of good rinks in the NYC or North Jersey areas?

The biggest indoor league is the one at Chelsea Sky Rink, but the ice there sucks, the league is very expensive, and it is by far the chippiest league around here, lots of fights. The better indoor league I've found is in Long Island City (close to the bridge) at City Ice Pavilion.

Then of course there's outdoor hockey in central park, at Lasker Rink. That's the best run league in terms of organization and they also take no poo poo in terms of fighting etc, so its about as clean as beer league hockey can get, if it was indoor I'd play there year round. I run teams at both Lasker and City Ice Pavilion and with minor caveats would recommend both. If you're coming from over the river in NJ though, CIP might be hard to get to. If you're in Manhattan, Brooklyn, or Queens, definitely play at one of those two.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Only six players and one goalie initially showed up for drop-in today at lunch, so we played half-ice 3 vs 3. I was expecting it to be awful, but one guy suggested a couple of rules I hadn't played with before. They seriously improve half-ice 3 vs 3:

- If your team gains possession, you have to clear the puck past the blue-line (as per usual). But…
- No offsides (so only one player really has to clear the zone)
- If the puck passes the red-line, it counts as a turnover.

Way more fun this way. No full-ice clears, and you don't spend all your time tagging up. A++ WOULD RECOMMEND.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah those are good rules. We had the carry onsides rule for 4v4 and it works awesome for half ice. Not so good for full ice!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We usually start out with having to clear the zone when someone gets the puck out, but after about 20 minutes when no one can breathe the rules take a back seat. :angel:

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
I'm going to be in Ann Arbor over the holiday... Any Michigoons familiar with the Ice Cube and the drop in games there?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

loving bro hug posted:

I'm going to be in Ann Arbor over the holiday... Any Michigoons familiar with the Ice Cube and the drop in games there?

I'll be going to the Winter Classic. :gizz:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'll be going to the Winter Classic. :gizz:

Sucker.

Wife and I passed on buying tickets because watching hockey in a football stadium loving sucks. You're watching ants chase a period.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Getting out of work at 3 instead of 5 tomorrow: great.

Nearby center having stick and puck at 3:30: even better.

Also currently debating with myself about doing the adult instructional league. Biggest problem is that it's on Sunday at rear end stupid 'o' clock in the morning, but I'm heavily leaning towards gently caress yes.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Hey I didn't know you were in the Bay Area!

Do you play on any of the women's travel teams around here/are you going to the tournament this weekend?

I haven't played hockey in like a month and a half it's killing me. hahahah 4th year sucks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Are you on the tourney team this weekend? I'll be going to watch.