Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Another goon migrating to this game from Solforge. Tried it out a few days ago and ended up liking it a lot more. You dont get AS much free stuff just for being around, but I like that it gives you an incentive to actually play with people. If I'm going to risk embarrassing in front of people I better get rewarded for it :colbert:

In game name is: Gnrl.Mike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagoras
May 9, 2010
I've added some of the people I've seen post. My IGN is Protagoras9, so feel free to add me.

I'm at about 1200-1300 elo (trying out an academy deck at lower tier right now so I'm at 700) with a Dhamiria deck.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr.48 posted:

Another goon migrating to this game from Solforge. Tried it out a few days ago and ended up liking it a lot more. You dont get AS much free stuff just for being around, but I like that it gives you an incentive to actually play with people. If I'm going to risk embarrassing in front of people I better get rewarded for it :colbert:

In game name is: Gnrl.Mike

You don't get as much just for logging in, but you keep getting stuff for playing, not just for 3 wins.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cryohazard posted:

I'm getting really sick of Dark Magic instakill cards.

Very much this. That and Puppet Master. All the more reason to discourage big drops against Necro and possibly Inferno I suppose, but Infect means you want to either have big health pools or be Haven to counter them effectively.

I really hope I can pull a Sanctuary Hero from one of these Void Rising packs soon, but I still need to win those 30 games with Necropolis so it'll be a while either way. I just want to get back to Stronghold.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Protagoras posted:

I've added some of the people I've seen post. My IGN is Protagoras9, so feel free to add me.

I'm at about 1200-1300 elo (trying out an academy deck at lower tier right now so I'm at 700) with a Dhamiria deck.

Wait do you have 2 accounts? How are you at two different Elos with different decks?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

You don't get as much just for logging in, but you keep getting stuff for playing, not just for 3 wins.

Isn't that what I said? :confused:

Anyways, like many others I didnt read the thread before playing the game and wasted all my early rewards on stupid poo poo. Now that I want to get the Champion box I've got gently caress all left. IS there likely to be a more steep discount for thanksgiving or Christmas?

Protagoras
May 9, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

Wait do you have 2 accounts? How are you at two different Elos with different decks?

No, I just kept surrendering to bump my elo down, as I did not want to get wrecked every duel with my mediocre deck. It takes 10 straight losses at 1001 to bump down, but it's not horribly troublesome.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
I'm in as Victor_surge. Comin' at you bro.
I'm a MtG blue/white lover, so I went with Haven...that can use a lightning strike, yeeeeaaah.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 22, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
When abilities mention "unique" cards, is that referring to orange cards, or just any card of which you only have 1 copy in your deck?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mr.48 posted:

When abilities mention "unique" cards, is that referring to orange cards, or just any card of which you only have 1 copy in your deck?

They have Unique under the picture.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Tae posted:

They have Unique under the picture.

Huh, thats weird. I've looked through some epic cards and some of them say "unique" while others dont. So only the ones with the "unique" label on the card count? And does that also mean you cant have more than one unique per deck?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mr.48 posted:

Huh, thats weird. I've looked through some epic cards and some of them say "unique" while others dont. So only the ones with the "unique" label on the card count? And does that also mean you cant have more than one unique per deck?

Unique is limited to one per deck, so any extra copies you crack in packs can be safely used for the Infernal Pit.

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012
Hey, so sorry if this is in the OP and I missed it, but is it worth it to buy The Box immediately after the campaign? Or is it better to save up for the Champion Box? It looks like it'll take a while to build up a decent deck with gold alone until I can afford the Champion Box.

Protagoras
May 9, 2010

Ineffable posted:

Hey, so sorry if this is in the OP and I missed it, but is it worth it to buy The Box immediately after the campaign? Or is it better to save up for the Champion Box? It looks like it'll take a while to build up a decent deck with gold alone until I can afford the Champion Box.

Wait until you can get the Champion Box. It is a much better investment in the end, even if it slows things down initially.

e: Also, look through the achievements under the Profile tab to see which ones give seals that you can do.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I personally went ahead and got the box.

It filled out my basic stuff pretty nicely.

BTW, username is Fluffdaddy10 if anyone wants to add me.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Just had a match where I couldn't draw cards after a certain point, neither could my opponent, and celebrations also did nothing. And I would've won, because I would've likely got something useful in those 4 cards I didn't get.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Post 1000 elo is a huge brick wall of playing a sealed deck against constructed decks. It really feels like it's not even worth playing at this elo. There's just no real way to win until I hit another poor fool with a sealed deck and smack them to stay above 1000, which inevitably comes before I lose 10 in a row. I feel like there should be some other way to differentiate players rather than feeding the better sealed decks to the constructed decks. Maybe divisions based on how many packs you've opened or how much gold/seals you've spent. Something like that.

Seriously contemplating just losing matches on purpose until I hit the elo with people playing decks of the same quality as mine.

El_Pato
Dec 27, 2007
So I'm a new player here, haven't made any big purchases yet. If I'm interested in playing Academy would it be worth it to try before fleshing out my starter faction (Necro)? Right now I can afford the FW box and the Academy starter deck which seems like it might get me enough to play around with but I'm kind of wary of going that route since I'll only be able to get more cards with seals. Is it even worth it?

Edit: Oh, and I'm in as pmcclear01 (old account, bleh...) if we're doing the friendly friend thing all around.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
RE: Special sales during Christmas

Don't have a clue. I want to know myself. As you know, there's a blurb in the OP about special sales on seals. I'm interesting in knowing and think such info should be added to the OP. For those that have been playing the game longer than me - does Ubisoft/MMDoC have sales during holidays usually?

RE: To clarify Unique cards

Just because a card is of the epic rarity (orange in color/name), doesn't mean it's necessarily Unique. For example, Dark Assassin, a neutral creature that's popular (and inexpensive to buy with wildcards because it's part of the base set) is epic, but it's not Unique. A Unique card is a card that specifically says it's Unique and theoretically can be of any rarity.

RE: Goons are starting to represent!

I logged in and played a few games (I'm slowly making my way to 1200 ELO). Last game was against a 1370 Sanctuary deck which I basically hung in for several turns at 4 life, and then pulled the game out at like turn 15. Super satisfying.

What's cool is that when I was playing there were about dozen goons in-game. Very cool to see our numbers growing so much within just a week.

Today I also dueled Noi Albinoi (ImperialMIght in-game), another highish ELO goon. We had some great, very close games. He ended up taking the series, but I'm pretty sure there were times there he didn't think he would.

There are some goons that still haven't accepted my friend request. My in-game name is seanbas, not Dahbadu. I'm stuck with an old name because I had an old existing Ubisoft account.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Higsian posted:

Post 1000 elo is a huge brick wall of playing a sealed deck against constructed decks. It really feels like it's not even worth playing at this elo. There's just no real way to win until I hit another poor fool with a sealed deck and smack them to stay above 1000, which inevitably comes before I lose 10 in a row. I feel like there should be some other way to differentiate players rather than feeding the better sealed decks to the constructed decks. Maybe divisions based on how many packs you've opened or how much gold/seals you've spent. Something like that.

Seriously contemplating just losing matches on purpose until I hit the elo with people playing decks of the same quality as mine.

If you won enough matches to break 1k Elo, why are you still playing a sealed deck? Don't you have a ton of gold and seals to spend from those wins?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

If you won enough matches to break 1k Elo, why are you still playing a sealed deck? Don't you have a ton of gold and seals to spend from those wins?

You can easily break 1k with mostly a basic deck if you're a good player, which is an issue because systems like this game are designed for players to slowly learn the basics of a card game.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Higsian posted:

Tank your rating. There's no reason for you to be wasting time losing in 1k+ when you could be winning games in the 500-1k bracket. If your deck is actually terrible, get below 500 so you can level up faster for seals.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Tae posted:

You can easily break 1k with mostly a basic deck if you're a good player, which is an issue because systems like this game are designed for players to slowly learn the basics of a card game.

Yes, but in doing so you level a bunch and make gold so you can buy packs and not be playing a starter anymore.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

El_Pato posted:

So I'm a new player here, haven't made any big purchases yet. If I'm interested in playing Academy would it be worth it to try before fleshing out my starter faction (Necro)? Right now I can afford the FW box and the Academy starter deck which seems like it might get me enough to play around with but I'm kind of wary of going that route since I'll only be able to get more cards with seals. Is it even worth it?

Edit: Oh, and I'm in as pmcclear01 (old account, bleh...) if we're doing the friendly friend thing all around.

You'll probably be able to buy the Forgotten Wars cards with gold pretty soon since there's supposed to be another set of cards coming out in December, if that effects your decision at all.

JoshTheStampede posted:

No, not really. You get like 700 gold per win and you can easily break 1000 ELO in like, 30ish wins, that's enough gold for one whole booster past your starter packs. Yeah, you get gold from leveling up but that's maybe another 4-5 packs and you're totally at the mercy of RNG for which cards you get, since a lot of the solid cards for some of the decks are locked behind the "get 200 cards from this set" part of being able to spend wildcards.

In my opinion, this game needs better daily rewards.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yes, but in doing so you level a bunch and make gold so you can buy packs and not be playing a starter anymore.

Not really. If your win-rate is around 90% from the beginning to 1k which isn't unusual for veteran CCG players to do, you don't have nearly enough to actually get out of the starter deck and into a different, complete deck.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

El_Pato posted:

Overall, a FW box is a good investment. Buy it if you have the seals. See what you get in it. You may get some cards that will help you with your Necro deck. If you get a bunch of Academy cards, and are interested in playing Academy, then the Academy starter deck may be a good idea. Note that you will probably lose games at first with Academy, especially if you don't have a bunch of high end cards. You may have to suck it up and drop about $20 bucks on this game to buy a second FW box to establish a card base to be truly competitive.

If you like playing decks where you have a bunch of tricks, the access to a roster of Heroes that between them, can pick from almost any school of magic, then go for it. If you tend to favor a more direct approach in your play style, then other factions may be a better fit for you.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tae posted:

Not really. If your win-rate is around 90% from the beginning to 1k which isn't unusual for veteran CCG players to do, you don't have nearly enough to actually get out of the starter deck and into a different, complete deck.

I must be loving awful at this game, cause my Necro pile is barely above 60% and after my initial rush, I keep getting bounced down from 1k to ~940 and can't break the 1001 barrier to get my 50k gold. :smith:

Fantasy Japan and Juggernaut Inferno decks just wreck me.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah, just to illustrate how you can have a terrible card pool at 1000 elo I'll post my situation. I lost 4-5 games on the road to 1000 elo (placed perfectly to make me lose out on the 10 in a row achievement while I was on a 7-9 streak 3 times). And about 5 of those wins towards the end were opponents just outright conceding so I didn't get anything but elo for those. I dinged 9 on the same battle that got me into 1000 so that's 90,000 gold from leveling. Something like 30,000 gold from the campaign, 50,000 gold from hitting 1000, ~700 gold times 51 wins is ~35,000 gold. No daily cash in yet, that's tomorrow. That's all up around 200,000 gold. Which buys me 11 packs of herald of the void. I spent my seals on the forgotten wars box. I have 406 cards in my collection right now. The vast majority of which cannot be used in my inferno deck.

Here's my deck:

Garant, Seeker of Discord

4x Maniac
4x Dark Assassin
3x Succubus
3x Demented
4x Pao Deathseeker
3x Water Elemental
3x Sahaar Bedouin
2x Juggernaught
1x Cerberus
2x Pit Fiend
4x Lilim
2x Hellfire Slave
1x Hellfire Maniac

3x Firebolt
2x Dispell
1x Inner Fire
2x Teleport
1x Town Portal
1x Fire Blast
1x Fireball
1x The Forbidden Flame
2x Altar of Destruction

1x Rise of the Nethermancer
1x Week of Mercenaries
3x Day of Fortune
2x Week of Weaponsmiths
1x Month of the Dancing Flames

Now I'm not saying this build is the best build out of my card pool, but I will definitely say that this deck is representative of the quality and depth of my card pool. Any changes to the deck would just be small tweaks like maybe shaving off the 5 might guy or the 4 magic fireball and stuff like that. There's no completely different deck or amazing killer card lurking in my pool.

And thanks for the comments to just go ahead and fall down. I haven't gotten there yet, but it's good to know it's not considered a completely scummy thing to do if I'm not rocking a T1 deck.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

You're not terrible, Toshimo. I would say that most people are in your situation. I honestly can't imagine being good enough at this game to rush straight to 1k ELO with a starter deck without losing. Of course, I didn't start with the Inferno starter deck, either. ;)

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I just started playing again after picking the game up a while ago. I've settled into playing a decently equipped Crag Hack deck and a decent Cassandra deck. I've been having a lot of fun, especially with Cassandra who kinda plays like Order from Scrolls, where you bunch up all of your guys to make them stronger. I'm thinking of switching to Sandalphon eventually now that I got him out of a pack, but I'm missing some of the big ticket spells needed to make him good.

EDIT: It is super frustrating, however, that they still don't allow cards to be shared between decks. It is a pain to move my Mana Storms and Pao Deathseekers between each deck every time I switch to the other one.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 22, 2013

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Higsian posted:

Higsian's deck

I would say your problem is that you need more mid-to-late game spells in your deck. You can't get any fire balls (uncommon)?

If you bit the bullet and dropped a 20$ on this game, you probably would be able to get every card you would want to fill out your deck to a point where it could compete perfectly well in 1000+ ELO.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Dahbadu posted:

You're not terrible, Toshimo. I would say that most people are in your situation. I honestly can't imagine being good enough at this game to rush straight to 1k ELO with a starter deck without losing. Of course, I didn't start with the Inferno starter deck, either. ;)

Ya this is key. I actually made a necro account to see what all the fuss was about with regard to the campaign (holy poo poo that ghost casting guy actually IS hard with necro, who knew?) and it is completely terrible compared to inferno. Don't worry it does get better, it just takes longer to get to the same level as inferno.

Also I don't spend money on CCGs anymore. Historically it has never ended well for my bank account.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I accidentally brought a Herald of the Void pack instead of a Void Rising pack.

Wound up working out better for me since I pulled an Immaculate Glory from it.

Also I'm sitting on 12 Wild Cards here, I feel like I should continue to build up my stock untill I unlock Void Rising/Herald of the Void.

Though there's a small part of my head that wants me to grab the Forgotten Wars Box, since I'll (eventually) grind out enough to unlock V/H in the Altar. But the rational part of me realizes that 1200 more seals is better value wise.

1000 = 10 Levels
+200 For Level 20 Bonus

Discounting any log-in reward bonuses I still have 10 levels to go from 14.

Again, really wishing I hadn't blown my seal load as poorly as I did.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 22, 2013

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
This game is frustrating. I keep playing against decks with crazy cards even though I am less then 200 elo. Haven't won a game in a while using an inferno deck and don't feel like I am learning anything since every game is a total beatdown.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Play some practice games against goons. There's several achievements that award seals for playing practice games against your friends.

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation
Terrible goon playing around with Academy and Necro. Ingame name is an_cow

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Onmi posted:

Though there's a small part of my head that wants me to grab the Forgotten Wars Box, since I'll (eventually) grind out enough to unlock V/H in the Altar. But the rational part of me realizes that 1200 more seals is better value wise.

1000 = 10 Levels
+200 For Level 20 Bonus

Discounting any log-in reward bonuses I still have 10 levels to go from 14.

Again, really wishing I hadn't blown my seal load as poorly as I did.

Find someone else missing all the dueling friends achievements and chain challenge each-other and scoop till you both get the 50 wins achieve. All the friends achieves are worth 250 seals total, and it will take less time than grinding up one level.

There's not many ways to pick up bonus seals, but that's a decent one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

jetz0r posted:

Find someone else missing all the dueling friends achievements and chain challenge each-other and scoop till you both get the 50 wins achieve. All the friends achieves are worth 250 seals total, and it will take less time than grinding up one level.

There's not many ways to pick up bonus seals, but that's a decent one.

already got those ones.

The only Seals achievements I have left are Levels, Pimped out Deck, and The Collector.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
How the hell am I supposed to deal with Necro as an aggro player? I feel like every creature in their set has more HP than my highest damage attackers and infect effects that make attacking or defending a futile effort. Am I missing something, or is aggro just not supposed to win against this faction? :psyduck: It seems every game by turn 3 my opponent has 18 life worth of creatures on the board and has removal'd every big attacker I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You have to be specific and also post what's available to your card pool because "aggro" has a million meanings.

Ishuma destroys Adar Malik, and Crag Hack has a pretty good match-up as well. So does Sandalphon.

• Locked thread