Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I am completely lazy when it comes to painting white, so I just use tamiya white primer if the kit's gonna be mostly white. Saves me a lot of hassle in the long run, as I only need to aibrush on like one coat of paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm not so sure that we'll never see a Kshatriya MG. It appears to be popular enough to support one and I doubt the weight issues are insurmountable. Some Bandai Hobby mook even implied a couple years back that it might happen if/when the economic situation allows for it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Full announcement list:

Unicorn:
HG FA Unicorn - Destroy Mode
HG Banshee Norn - Destroy Mode

00:
RG Gundam Exia
- RG Exia RI/RII/RIII are pretty much soft confirmed as eventual webshop exclusives too.
- A new RG frame is being made for it too, so expect to see the other Meisters.
Build Fighters:
MG Build Strike Full Package
MG Build Gundam mkII

HG Qubeley Papilion

Words can't describe the feelings I have for these announcements. On one hand I was going to get the FA Unicorn for Christmas from my sister (she thinks she's getting it for me ironically.). Now I'm just thinking of waiting it out because I love the green psychoframe effect so very much more than the red. The Qubeley's probably my favorite suit from UC so I'm super excited for that to be released, and my friend's favorite series is 00, so I guess I've got his next birthday present lined up. As for the MGs, well poo poo. I'm actually wondering if they're going to try to make the Build Booster compatible with other MGs or if they're just leaving that to the HG field.

Bimmi posted:

I'm not so sure that we'll never see a Kshatriya MG. It appears to be popular enough to support one and I doubt the weight issues are insurmountable. Some Bandai Hobby mook even implied a couple years back that it might happen if/when the economic situation allows for it.

This is the main reason I'm holding out on a Kshatriya model, I guess I have a slight soft spot for the funnel intensive suits thanks to how much I like the pilots.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does anyone know what kind of paint Kotobukiya uses on parts they do up before shipping?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That is an amazing lineup.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muike posted:

Does anyone know what kind of paint Kotobukiya uses on parts they do up before shipping?

depends on if its a scale figure or robot. Is it a poseable toy or a model

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's a model. I wouldn't expect silkscreening so my guess is acrylic.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muike posted:

It's a model. I wouldn't expect silkscreening so my guess is acrylic.

probably acrylic with a resin glaze

if you are doing a repair it always looks better to strip and repaint instead of a touch up

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 21, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You've been way too helpful to my dumb rear end today, dude.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh, looks like there's going to be a HGCE Strike Rouge too. Good to see the second kit of the line is going to be a recolor of the first. :geno:

Seriously though, it's probably an exclusive. Lots of those as usual, from Clear HG FA Unicorn (Unicorn mode) to Nu Gundam vKa Titanium Finish.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I came here to freak out over the MG Turn-X, and then I find out there's gonna be an MG of that wacky samurai Astray from Build Fighters? This is a good day.

Also Bandai would definitely unironically do an All Char project.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 21, 2013

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So the Valvrave I Hito is my first unit I've actually put painting work in, and god drat that poo poo is tedious.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fuelled by the new Turn A announcement I decided to have a look how much those old 1/44 Kapools go for and someone had put up a few on UK Amazon for £7.50 with free shipping from Japan. :stare: There's got to be a catch somewhere but I ordered one anyway.

(I guess the catch is that for the shipping they're just shoved in a box and to fend for themselves, but even so.)

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 21, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Oh wow, looks like I ordered an MG Turn A at just the right time! Sweet!

G Gundam and Turn A are the best non-UC series, and it's great to finally see one of them get some love. If we can get EW versions of all the Gundams from Wing... there's hope we may get the full shuffle alliance someday... right? ...Right?

I'm also holding out hope that someday we'll get an MG Kapool, too. Someday. I hope.

Also, that MG Build Mk2 looks sexy as hell. The Mk2 is one of my favorite Gundam designs, and the ver. 2.0 of it is one of my favorite MGs, and I may just need to buy the MG of the Build Mk2 even though it looks like it's 90% the same kit. I did get both an F type Zaku and Char's Zaku in 2.0 forms so it's not like I haven't gotten the same kit twice before. At least I don't have both the Titans and AEUG Mk2s.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not too big a fan of Turn A (despite having the MG Turn A for some reason) or Build Fighters, so this run kindly passed me by.

I do hope I can get a hold of that Fenix, though, since I'm not too offended by the color, and if nothing else, I can swap the blue psychoframe with the MG Banshee I'm certain to get at some point in the future to complete my MG Unicorn collection. I think the blue-framed Banshee just looks better than the gold frame, and it'd make the Fenix look a little more consistent with a gold frame too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Fauxtool posted:

probably acrylic with a resin glaze

if you are doing a repair it always looks better to strip and repaint instead of a touch up

I'll keep that in mind, I was just wondering how gentle I had to be with it when cleaning the parts. Sounds like it'll be pretty safe to just wash with all the others. Thanks

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I just wanted to post here and lament that I accidentally snapped off one of the beam sabers on my HG destroy mode Banshee's back. :( The little nub it connects with is so fragile.

Time to find my old model cement somewhere I guess :sigh: At least it's a cheap HGUC model.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Here's a picture of MG Phenix:

:pcgaming:

(click pic for Gundam Guy article)

e:V I am also an idiot with too much money who likes shiny stuff. It'd look amazing though.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 21, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Like I said, I'll probably still get it because I am a massive idiot. Though, is there a third-party group producing those shiny gold Banshee horns yet? The awful yellow plastic version with the normal one is just tragic, and it doesn't look too much better on that version. Why'd they even do that, anyways? They made everything else shiny gold.

Also, regarding top coat stuff, I use Armory Matte. It's pretty good, but if you hold whatever you're spraying too far away while spraying it, it gets a weird 'dusty' effect, which looks good on ground-type grunt units, but lovely on Gundams. It's cheap, though, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ignimbrite posted:

It'd look amazing though.

It'll also be covered in nubs like the Unicorn Titanium Finish.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

It'll also be covered in nubs like the Unicorn Titanium Finish.

This. Unicorn was not designed for a titanium finish plating, and it sure as hell isn't designed for gold chrome plating.

Just catching up to the Gunpla-gasm news now...SLOW THE gently caress DOWN BANDAI! :psyduck:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Just catching up to the Gunpla-gasm news now...SLOW THE gently caress DOWN BANDAI! :psyduck:

I think their next big announcement will be an mg v2 and reborns, thereby completing their mission of destroying my wallet.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Monaghan posted:

I think their next big announcement will be an mg v2 and reborns, thereby completing their mission of destroying my wallet.

Do you think an MG Reborns is realistic? The transformation gimmick might be tricky to work with a full frame.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I finished my Valvrave 1, and seeing as it was my first painting adventure, I'd definitely like to steal some critique. I don't know if I just choose a complicated kit or what, but I think this thing may have turned me away from painting.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You kinda picked a bad kit. Trying to paint white on black sucks under ANY circumstance, especially when you're handpainting.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

You kinda picked a bad kit. Trying to paint white on black sucks under ANY circumstance, especially when you're handpainting.

I used the Gundam paint pens and paint remover and even then it was just a lot of coating, lots of touching up and trying to paint the clear bits sucked. I still have a few goofy effects pieces that I'm going to paint dark red for the vampire theme, but after these shenanigans, I really don't want to go back to it. However as a kit and build, it's pretty darn stable and I like the kit, just feel like they skimped out on it detail wise.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

What masking tape were you using? A lot of paint bled through it, so I wouldn't recommend using it again in future painting endeavors. And I'm not familiar with the design so I don't know if those bumps on the sides of the shoulder are supposed to be there, but if not seems you missed a few nubs too.

You probably should have used primer; like Taurus says, painting white on bare black plastic is a bad idea. I can see black bleeding through the white in little specks on the right leg's top stripe for instance.

EDIT:

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I used the Gundam paint pens

Welp, there's your problem. Don't use those, they're terrible unless you literally extract the paint and thin it yourself.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I was using Tamiya masking tape, and I couldn't get that poo poo to work at all. Definitely won't buy again.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I-I use Gundam paint markers to paint areas instead of using the stickers...

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It takes major skills to make them look good. If you are using them successfully, good for you.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I've found the quality of Gundam Marker paint varies with the color (I use a lot of flat black on interiors and it covers very well) but they're never anything you should use with any kind of masking.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hey Fauxtool thanks for your airbrush tips yesterday. I grabbed the one you recommended. I'm sure I'll mention how I'm getting on in a while.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kurui Reiten posted:

I-I use Gundam paint markers to paint areas instead of using the stickers...

Gundam markers can work fine for small details, but not on major areas like the white on Valrave's body.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do you think an MG Reborns is realistic? The transformation gimmick might be tricky to work with a full frame.

I've seen bandai engineers do stuff that I didn't think would be possible. I think there's way more complicated transformations that have become mg's.

I just want my reborn damnit, that suit was so loving cool.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Reborn's transform is about as simple as they come. I question whether the demand is there for an MG, though. The other Meisters will almost certainly come first.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bimmi posted:

Reborn's transform is about as simple as they come. I question whether the demand is there for an MG, though. The other Meisters will almost certainly come first.

If the next Meister Gundam made isn't Dynames I'll be severely disappointed, mostly because it actually brought some level of variety to the usual spectrum of Gundam protagonist suits.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

This. Unicorn was not designed for a titanium finish plating, and it sure as hell isn't designed for gold chrome plating.

I think it could work, assuming they do it the same way they did the shiny gold bits on the Full Burst Strike Freedom, where they adjusted the sprues so that the parts you cut would be behind the armor, so that the nubs couldn't be seen when it was fully assembled.

Taurus, where do you get your third party news from, anyways? I'm hunting for aftermarket parts like the gold banshee horn, but I can't find anything.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

S-Alpha posted:

I think it could work, assuming they do it the same way they did the shiny gold bits on the Full Burst Strike Freedom, where they adjusted the sprues so that the parts you cut would be behind the armor, so that the nubs couldn't be seen when it was fully assembled.

That would require a major (and risky) retooling of the existing molds or an all-new set. Not gonna happen.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bimmi posted:

That would require a major (and risky) retooling of the existing molds or an all-new set. Not gonna happen.

It's not like it'd be the first time they've done it. There's the special Seed Destiny kits I mentioned before, and pretty much any time they do one of these special finish kits:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
They have never, to my knowledge, reworked existing molds to have undergated sprues. Strike Freedom FB got a new mold for the plated parts, but that's one runner vs. a dozen or more. Anything that incorporates undergates into the whole kit was designed that way from the start.

Again, it's not going to happen for what is essentially a one-off.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 22, 2013

• Locked thread