Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Man, I wish you could get X3 to just have stations automatically manage trade ships. So far that seems like the one thing better in Rebirth.

There's a mod called Commercial Agent which comes with the bonus pack which lets you do exactly that.

It also works, unlike Rebirth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Domattee posted:

If he tells you he doesn't have enough fuel you can click on his picture on the screen and tell him to jump without fuel or go buy some fuel. But that ship is scripted to never have its engines repaired so just sell it. Telling them to buy fuel is dodgy in the campaign too as they don't differentiate between friendly and hostile stations.

Alright, I sold that ship for 22m to some dealer in Devries.

I'm supposed to deliver 300 units of food to this station now, which I've figured out requires a container ship. I seem to own one in Devries that I assume they gave to me before I left their space the first time. I'd use it to move this food but for some reason it's full of Chemical Compounds, and I haven't found a station that buys those yet. Anyone know where I should look?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'm supposed to deliver 300 units of food to this station now, which I've figured out requires a container ship. I seem to own one in Devries that I assume they gave to me before I left their space the first time. I'd use it to move this food but for some reason it's full of Chemical Compounds, and I haven't found a station that buys those yet. Anyone know where I should look?

I have not found a place to sell chemicals. It is especially hard for me, because my free random ship came fully stocked with space weed.

Also, if you have the ship that I am thinking of, you can't transport food with it. You need to use the one that you got earlier in the game.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
The NESA mod has been updated to remove the dumb conversation minigame and let you view an NPC's skills before hiring them:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349949&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

The Gigurum or whatever it's called is not a cap ship and as such completely loving useless, just ignore it and use the money to buy a Container Rohanas at Darned Hot Air (Into the "42 Ways" Highway from Gushing Spring). Gushing spring is also were you can buy the rations.
Tell me if you manage to get past this mission cause it's bugged for me

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Domattee posted:

The Gigurum or whatever it's called is not a cap ship and as such completely loving useless, just ignore it and use the money to buy a Container Rohanas at Darned Hot Air (Into the "42 Ways" Highway from Gushing Spring). Gushing spring is also were you can buy the rations.

I had to do this to get the trade to happen. It is the worst bug I have hit in the game so far.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/2870/discussions/0/648811852354771955/

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
The problem with that mission is that you need Cargolifter drones for your freighter to buy the stuff and depending on how lucky/unlucky you are the ship dealers in Darned Hot Air might be completely out of Cargolifters. In which case you will have to go back to Albion and find some, except chances are good that the only people to have them will be PMC and hostile to you.

See what's supposed to happen is that you should get your orginal Rahanas back at the end of the previous mission which already has the drones you need on it. But bugs.

A lot of us just ended up editing our save game to add the drones.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

DevNull posted:

I had to do this to get the trade to happen. It is the worst bug I have hit in the game so far.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/2870/discussions/0/648811852354771955/

Yeah I did that but the trade just won't complete ever. Removing the trade order means I can issue it again but it just bugs out again.

EDIT: VV Did that too. I'm not joking when I say I have done literally every single possible workaround suggested

Domattee fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 21, 2013

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Domattee posted:

Yeah I did that but the trade just won't complete ever. Removing the trade order means I can issue it again but it just bugs out again.

I waited until the trading ship was in the same zone. I think it works better that way. Trading is pretty drat broken.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I feel like very little detail is being said about the things that actually matter for me in the new game, and that is the gameplay. And I mean the sandbox gameplay not the plot. From what I read the reasons for it might be because people just don't know about it yet but I'll ask anyway just in case.

I recall from the videos that path-finding was supposed to be enhanced and I had great hopes that this meant that allied ships would stop just suiciding against large ships and stations. I know that there is no more collision damage but overall is it possible to have battles with multiple ships? Can you just get some "patrol sector" quest and fight against a horde of corvettes using capital ships, carriers in general and a multitude of fighters and not having all your ships being destroyed by their own dumb AI? By the way it is possible to have something like that in X3 just by using a handful of mods but it was kind of daft in some regards and it would be great to have this in the new game.

Most automation seem to be removed of the game but you can still have stuff done automatically, you just don't have much control on how these things are done. It seems that you have to have lots of interaction to make some trading. My question is, what this all means? Can you give an order and just leave the sector or you have to be present during the whole thing? Can you queue orders for buying/selling in other sectors and just check back when it's done? Can you queue "move to sector" commands at least?

Is the economy really not working? Trading conga lanes of ships are just some farce? Do prices change with demand? If a ship go in and out of a station can I scan it and will it be loaded with cargo? Can I steal such cargo by shooting the ship until they are convinced drop it? (I'm having a blast playing as a pirate in X3:AP by the way)

The economy never actually worked in X3. Traders would go into xenon sectors to die by the dozens and they were generally quite inefficient. Also using multiple ships never worked and fixing it with mods was not sufficient (but still pretty fun). Also building huge complexes mostly didn't work since it would take really long to make all that money back. But all of this kind of worked to some extent and I feel all of those things that are hard to implement were either removed or are just worse than in the previous games and it doesn't seem like mods can fix any of this. So my final question is, is there even a point in getting Rebirth? Because I don't get it, it seems worse in every way.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pochoclo posted:

There's a mod called Commercial Agent which comes with the bonus pack which lets you do exactly that.

It also works, unlike Rebirth.

I would have liked CAG a lot more if the pilots started out at the max level instead of having to run retarded training courses. I couldn't ever get it to do what I wanted because none of my pilots had any levels, and I could never get CLS to actually work so just assigning ships to stations sounds a lot better in X-Rebirth.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I would have liked CAG a lot more if the pilots started out at the max level instead of having to run retarded training courses. I couldn't ever get it to do what I wanted because none of my pilots had any levels, and I could never get CLS to actually work so just assigning ships to stations sounds a lot better in X-Rebirth.

With a script command you can set the starting level of anything to the max.
There's also probably a mod for that in case you're not familiar with scripting.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
so I burned out XRM, because 15 ship xeno fleets in every goddamn sector was getting rather old.

There is no defense force for trade ships big enough when there is that kind of attacking force. I guess I could militarize the poo poo out of every system, but eventually it is just pissing in the wind.

Whateves. Going back to stock game + a few mods that make the gameplay more fun.

And now I know how to make the turrets on my ship work. That is a huge plus. Jesus christ I cannot believe it took that long.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

program666 posted:

I feel like very little detail is being said about the things that actually matter for me in the new game, and that is the gameplay. And I mean the sandbox gameplay not the plot. From what I read the reasons for it might be because people just don't know about it yet but I'll ask anyway just in case.

I recall from the videos that path-finding was supposed to be enhanced and I had great hopes that this meant that allied ships would stop just suiciding against large ships and stations. I know that there is no more collision damage but overall is it possible to have battles with multiple ships? Can you just get some "patrol sector" quest and fight against a horde of corvettes using capital ships, carriers in general and a multitude of fighters and not having all your ships being destroyed by their own dumb AI? By the way it is possible to have something like that in X3 just by using a handful of mods but it was kind of daft in some regards and it would be great to have this in the new game.

Most automation seem to be removed of the game but you can still have stuff done automatically, you just don't have much control on how these things are done. It seems that you have to have lots of interaction to make some trading. My question is, what this all means? Can you give an order and just leave the sector or you have to be present during the whole thing? Can you queue orders for buying/selling in other sectors and just check back when it's done? Can you queue "move to sector" commands at least?

Is the economy really not working? Trading conga lanes of ships are just some farce? Do prices change with demand? If a ship go in and out of a station can I scan it and will it be loaded with cargo? Can I steal such cargo by shooting the ship until they are convinced drop it? (I'm having a blast playing as a pirate in X3:AP by the way)

The economy never actually worked in X3. Traders would go into xenon sectors to die by the dozens and they were generally quite inefficient. Also using multiple ships never worked and fixing it with mods was not sufficient (but still pretty fun). Also building huge complexes mostly didn't work since it would take really long to make all that money back. But all of this kind of worked to some extent and I feel all of those things that are hard to implement were either removed or are just worse than in the previous games and it doesn't seem like mods can fix any of this. So my final question is, is there even a point in getting Rebirth? Because I don't get it, it seems worse in every way.

Re: Combat: The missions are balanced around you having the Albion Skunk and nothing more. I don't know if there is something like the combat rank from previous games that will make missions harder eventually but the biggest spawn I currently saw is A destroyer and A frigate with a bunch of small poo poo. Not that that matters particularly since the combat AI on friendly ships is broken. Sometimes they won't use their guns and just uselessly bump into enemies, or they'll shoot, but miss all the time cause tracking is borked with how you can fly in a cap ships wake, or they will use their guns, but not their engines, so you have to bait the enemies over to your ships.
Cap ships don't fly into stations anymore because they just fly through them, small ships get stuck in their geometry all the time but won't blow up since there is no collision damage

Re: Orders: You can queue 3 trading orders, where an order is Buy/Sell at a specific station. You can theoretically do this remotely and without babysitting but it breaks all the time. On top of that a lot of the micromanagement is still there anyway. Trade ships won't stock up on Jump fuel intelligently, they won't repair themselves, they don't route around enemy sectors, etc....
There is no command for combat at all. The only order you can give a destroyer is "Take me there..."

Re: Economy: Economy seems to mostly be there but the trading interface makes it hard to notice it since you can't see at a glance "this station buy this, sells this". On the upside, the new stations are pretty cool and the automation in terms of intelligently using the ships you give it to manage and defend itself actually mostly works for a change.

Re: Is there a point in getting this game? Nope, it's mostly a stripped down X3 with a menu-system that is broken in a different way than previous games and some other dumb nonfunctional poo poo tacked on. The few things it does better than X3 you can do with scripts.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 21, 2013

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Domattee posted:

Well I told that Gigurum to fly off somewhere and it got destroyed or something, big whoop. I had a Container Rohanas built, and installed the 'player ships ignore jump fuel' mod, and the food delivery mission went off without a hitch.

RE: Space Weed, you can sell it to dispensaries near Azure something. There's 2 or 3 close together.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Dominic White posted:

Late to the party as I didn't actually get to properly play it until just recently, but my full review is up now.

As both a casual fan of the series, and someone who was totally in favour of the changes they were making with Rebirth, I'm doubly disappointed. Egosoft, you should know better.

Amusingly, your 47/100 score still brings the Metacritic average up. Even if the next reviewer somehow has a sudden heart attack and falls on the numbers '100' and the submit key on their review, it would still barely break 50%. Why is this genre so hard to do right?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Domattee posted:

Cap ships don't fly into stations anymore because they just fly through them
Now this is just hilarious.

But my point in Rebirth being pointless relies on the fact that mods or even the developers probably won't be able to fix problems that were already present in X3 and were never fixed. Besides lots of features were just removed.

To err on the fair side, having a seamless universe instead of sectors is a huge improvement with lots of potential. I can see how awesome it would be to have secret stuff in-between zones or having entire xenon zones far from the highways and other zones for example. That's the one improvement from the X3 games. Besides that everything seems like a downgrade and the only thing mods will be able to do is to make it more like X3 but still worse.
I didn't have any expectations, I knew it was going to be different, not worse. It looks like it's just worse.

program666 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 21, 2013

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

So I have a trade ship with MK3 trade software, navigation software etc yet Economy Supply Trader won't work. I'm above Trader rank but my ship just won't do anything?

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Domattee posted:

Re: Combat: The missions are balanced around you having the Albion Skunk and nothing more. I don't know if there is something like the combat rank from previous games that will make missions harder eventually but the biggest spawn I currently saw is A destroyer and A frigate with a bunch of small poo poo.

Based on my reading of the generic mission scripts, there's supposed to be a value called PlayerProgression that goes from 1 to 5 and determines how numerous / how strong a mission's enemy spawns are. However it's never actually calculated and always just defaults to 3. There is a "TODO" note though :downs:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

program666 posted:

Now this is just hilarious.

But my point in Rebirth being pointless relies on the fact that mods or even the developers probably won't be able to fix problems that were already present in X3 and were never fixed. Besides lots of features were just removed.

To err on the fair side, having a seamless universe instead of sectors is a huge improvement with lots of potential. I can see how awesome it would be to have secret stuff in-between zones or having entire xenon zones far from the highways and other zones for example. That's the one improvement from the X3 games. Besides that everything seems like a downgrade and the only thing mods will be able to do is to make it more like X3 but still worse.
I didn't have any expectations, I knew it was going to be different, not worse. It looks like it's just worse.

Pretty much the only reason I'm keeping going as well is the seamless universe. Makes more sense and fun than AP's sector NESW mapping.

Separate thing - apparently you can fire your weapon in the highways. Get bored of space drafting? Shoot some space cars. Strangely you can earn rep doing this...

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
gently caress, I just managed to make my first pilot bail out, then I mistakenly pressed control instead of backspace whilst trying to stop and blew the loving ship up. :argh:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

You can't repair small ships anyway, they can't dock with capitals and they sell for 0, so claiming ships is completely pointless.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

WMain00 posted:

Pretty much the only reason I'm keeping going as well is the seamless universe. Makes more sense and fun than AP's sector NESW mapping.

Separate thing - apparently you can fire your weapon in the highways. Get bored of space drafting? Shoot some space cars. Strangely you can earn rep doing this...

One thing that bugs me about that whole drafting minigame is that none of the cars in the highways are "real". They're all just spawned in the highway solely for the purpose of that minigame - you can be following a huge line of ships all the way out to the end of a highway, and then you pop out and you're the only one there, because the other ships only actually exist in the highway itself. I get that if they just used actual ship traffic in the highways there wouldn't be enough around for that minigame to actually work, but considering they kept pushing "immersion over gameplay", it seems to be kind of the opposite of that in this case.

Honestly I don't mind the highways conceptually - they're a lot like the travel lanes in Freelancer, where they take you quickly between hub areas but there's other stuff to discover outside of those areas, so they aren't just fake loading screens. It just seems like it would have been easy to just make your highway speed depend on engine upgrades and ditch the drafting game entirely.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Does anyone know if it's possible to follow around an NPC ship through the highways? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I'm, curious if it's at all possible. One thing that was cool about X3 is that the NPC ships were doing real things and you could follow an energy trader and see them buy and sell energy across different sectors.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I've had ships exit the highway while not at a terminus before, a few of them are real. On that one mission with the giginut or whatever it's called, I was right behind him as he entered the superhighway and wound up drafting him.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The ships that are real have target boxes around them even in highways. Which you can see from a fair ways off, actually. It is possible to draft them.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You know, I would like the highways if instead of that stupid minigame you just had to steer a little bit to stay in the tube. Bonus points if there's the occasional debris or other ship you have to avoid. It's not like they don't already have flying physics and controls in the game. :confused:

Then again judging by everything else, I'm sure this was added at the very last minute or something as a "lets get this crap out the door" maneuver.

kedo fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 22, 2013

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Unimpressed posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to follow around an NPC ship through the highways? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I'm, curious if it's at all possible. One thing that was cool about X3 is that the NPC ships were doing real things and you could follow an energy trader and see them buy and sell energy across different sectors.

Yes it's possible, I've followed ships from one zone to another as they go around buying/selling goods. It can sometimes be easy to lose them as they zoom off in the highway, if you don't follow them in quickly enough to draft on their tail, but even then you should be able to find them again when you get to the next zone (you can check their pilot name and cargo to verify).

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Has anyone had trouble taking over/boarding freighters of any kind? In X:R, that is. Every time I try, I get perfectly through killing the jump drive and the engines, then i clear any guns while the pods come in and all twenty land. But for some reason, every single time without fail as soon as I hit whatever target she posts next; my entire squad dies with her yelling "What?! No! Etc etc" I just cannot figure it out.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Spiteski posted:

Has anyone had trouble taking over/boarding freighters of any kind? In X:R, that is. Every time I try, I get perfectly through killing the jump drive and the engines, then i clear any guns while the pods come in and all twenty land. But for some reason, every single time without fail as soon as I hit whatever target she posts next; my entire squad dies with her yelling "What?! No! Etc etc" I just cannot figure it out.

How ship capturing works:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=351609

For what it's worth my first marine commander came with 0 boarding experience and I kept failing too. I replaced him with a marine commander that had 1 star for boarding and then I was able to successfully capture stuff.

Knight007au
May 8, 2007

kedo posted:

So, am I crazy or does Rebirth have zero support for flight sticks? At this point I'd be happy with it as a "gently caress around in space" game until modders can work their magic, but considering there aren't enough axes on a 360 controller for all the flight controls, I can't even do that.

I've googled around a bit but haven't had any luck finding absolute confirmation one way or the other, just a lot of posts with people complaining.

I was able to setup my Thrustmaster Joystick and Throttle. I did need to use JoyToKey to map my HAT to the wasd strafe keys but apart from that all other buttons etc were fine.

Oh there was one other quirk in that there were two places you could set the fire button in the menu. Unless you are using a xbox controller you have to set the mapping in the 2nd ones.

But once setup, the joystick/Throttle is working great.

Knight007au fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 22, 2013

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Improved Fleets http://xrebirth.nexusmods.com/mods/133// can now clear trader queues.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

New Patch is out

Patch 1.16 - 2013-11-22

• Fixed video stutter/crackle at start.
• Fixed several more crashes during start-up and in-game.
• Fixed specific crash when using Alt-Tab or changing shaders.
• Fixed specific crash when leaving a highway.
• Fixed several problems with trade ships being blocked from operating (more fixes to come).
• Fixed problem with not being able to see dock icons for certain ships.
• Fixed problem with certain missions potentially not working after saving and reloading.

And the Manual Command Extension Mod has been updated and can also clear the trade queue now.

EDIT: VVVV I've noticed some performance, uh, changes? Inconsistent FPS increases but it drops a bit harder when there is a lot of traffic on screen. I'm assuming they're trying to get it functional before improving performance.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 22, 2013

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Still not patched for performance?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I imagine that if that will ever happen it will take a bit longer. All the stuff they've been doing so far seems to be quick hotfix type stuff.

Unrelated; are there any other space sim games out there that do the kind of thing the X series does, where you can go from a single fighter to controlling your own empire, building new stations, etc.? I was looking at the Star Citizen kickstarter a while ago and honestly I know people are excited for it but it looks a lot more akin to Freelancer than X. Freelancer was an excellent game, but you were always just one guy in one ship.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 22, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Unrelated; are there any other space sim games out there that do the kind of thing the X series does, where you can go from a single fighter to controlling your own empire, building new stations, etc.?

Not if you're looking for a recent game. Unless you count EVE.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I don't know how you guys are playing this without performance patches. I can't even get enough into the game to really realize I hate the core gameplay.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I love how on Metacritic the positive user reviews are all 9s and 10s. Hilarious.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Backov posted:

I love how on Metacritic the positive user reviews are all 9s and 10s. Hilarious.

Metacritic is poo poo, never use it. Ask goons.

I'd really like a remake of Alien Legacy, maybe throw in some Outpost. Space sims are cool but I want some strategy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Backov posted:

It's like that for any game. Remember the shitfit people threw because Gamespot had the gall to give GTAV a 9 instead of a 10? User rating systems should really only offer the options 1 and 10, because that's all anyone ever uses.

• Locked thread