Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
The only history options we're allowed to take towards the degree are western civ 1 and 2.

In other news:
I really wish I had've taken differential equations before taking basic circuit analysis. My professor is too smart or something. A good portion of today was him solving a differential equation to prove that phasor notation really does work. Most of the class hasn't gone above calc2 yet.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Kolodny posted:

At Virginia Tech, the AeroE program had no required writing courses, technical or otherwise; the only mention of writing on the courselist was for the senior capstone, which said that it satisfied the writing requirement. The excuse is probably that the AeroE program is already at the max allowed number of required credits. I think it was the same with MechE. The only time I ever heard about technical writing classes was from CS and CompE students, maybe EE as well.

As a (former) Virginia Tech ME student, the writing requirements were the freshmen English classes everyone else took, and two semesters of a "lab" course that had something like 80% of your grade come from writing lab reports. Your senior year capstone project had several reports and presentations as well, so you can't really get away with not knowing how to write.

There were no restrictions on other classes as long as you were eligible to sign up for them. I took several random classes (intro to sci fi!) my first couple years before getting into the grinder of engineering classwork junior/senior year.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

KetTarma posted:

In other news:
I really wish I had've taken differential equations before taking basic circuit analysis. My professor is too smart or something. A good portion of today was him solving a differential equation to prove that phasor notation really does work. Most of the class hasn't gone above calc2 yet.

Professors are always going to use higher level math for proofs. I considered this kind of a preview to the higher maths and didn't worry about grasping it right then and there. Once I did learn the math, things made sense. You won't (or shouldn't) be tested on that stuff so I wouldn't worry about it.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Tovarisch Rafa posted:

I avoided this situation with all my heart. I am graduating from the Colorado School of Mines as a cheme and the oil companies loving love our graduates. I got offered a job in the gulf doing midstream poo poo and I am definitely turning it down. There are better jobs out there that don't involve me having to live in Houston, especially since I did a year worth of research in microprocessor manufacturing. Sixty percent of the people from here got shipped off to Houston with great pay at graduation.

Why did you go to Mines if you didn't want to get into the mining or oil business, especially as a ChemE? I thought this was common knowledge. Did you change your mind along the way or something?

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

At UCF it is required (English Comp). I looked at the BSEE requirements. There is also a technical presentations public speaking class required.

I don't care if there are a lot of women or not. I might have cared when I was still in my first UG program and was actually trying to meet men. :)

I could always start out with the common core engineering stuff that all engineering majors take, and then branch off from there if I change my mind off EE?

You can pretty easily change to any other engineering major after 1 year. ChemE or MatE may still require some extra chemistry credits. After the first semester of sophomore year things get much more difficult because you get out of the prereq sequence and may have to wait an entire year to get into a specific course.

resident fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 20, 2013

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

YF19pilot posted:

What's that website that has all the oil-based jobs? I remember seeing it posted before in a thread about mud logging and what not.

I see a lot of ads for Rigzone.com. I also get a lot (like 3 - 4x as many) emails from Progressive Global Energy recruiters than any other single recruiting company, though I can't vouch for them personally.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

My nuclear engineering degree really doesn't have space for anything extra, but the university mandates we take a bunch of things in order to graduate. Outside of the basic chemistry and math we have to take macroeconomics, basic English, another English class (the department mandates this be tech writing though), a foreign language, a fine art, and basic humanities/social sciences classes.

The degree itself means you end up taking something like 17 credit hours a semester on average in order to complete our classes and the university mandated basics, with enough space left over for three technical electives that the department mandates be upper level math, physics, or one of our specialized electives like fusion technology or space nuclear power.

The department just started selling t-shirts with the slogan "I've got 99 problems and they're all due tomorrow." on them. Very appropriate.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Speaking of silly required classes, while all of the other engineering programs at VT have some sort of engineering econ class, AeroE had to take regular ECON 2005 Microeconomics, which is entirely different from engineering econ and doesn't touch on things that are on the FE exam. I have no idea why, and neither did anyone I asked, including the department dean. It didn't hurt too much, the class was easy enough and the econ on the FE exam is all reading tables, but I'd love to know why at some point someone thought "we should diverge entirely from other engineering programs and toss the AeroE kids into a normal ECON class."

Tovarisch Rafa
Nov 4, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

SeaBass posted:

Why did you go to Mines if you didn't want to get into the mining or oil business, especially as a ChemE? I thought this was common knowledge. Did you change your mind along the way or something?

Why would I want to leave Colorado if I'm already exactly where I want to be. Also CU Boulder was too far away and CSU even farther.

I really thought I wanted to do oil or gas until I got here and the oil and gas stuff was the most boring crap out of everything we covered.

Tovarisch Rafa fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 21, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kolodny posted:

but I'd love to know why at some point someone thought "we should diverge entirely from other engineering programs and toss the AeroE kids into a normal ECON class."

They wanted you to talk to girls :ssh:

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Tovarisch Rafa posted:

Why would I want to leave Colorado if I'm already exactly where I want to be. Also CU Boulder was too far away and CSU even farther.

I really thought I wanted to do oil or gas until I got here and the oil and gas stuff was the most boring crap out of everything we covered.

Gotcha. My dad was a prof at Mines (petroleum engineering) and even with free tuition I went elsewhere because I didn't want to be restricted to such a narrow focus, especially as a EE.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Tovarisch Rafa posted:

;

You know I always thought oil and gas would be really boring and I spent a lot of time delaying the inevitable, but now that I am here working in Houston I can honestly say that I love my job. I get to spend every day designing or troubleshooting things using what I learned in school. I am literally amazed on a daily basis by the problems I am able to solve using what I learned in my coursework.

Working here is great. As a person whose passion is being in the mountains, it's *living* here that bothers me. I have to say, I am pretty envious of you. With a degree from Mines you should be able to easily get a job in oil and gas in Denver. Don't let potentially great opportunities slip past you just because you had a bad experience in undergrad.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I feel that it is necessary to inform the world that I just spent 13 hours generating 14 pages of calculations for a circuit analysis 201 assignment.
I dont know if that means I suck or what but it is done and I am no longer sober.

E: my professor gave us the option of completing "an extremely difficult and time consuming take-home exam-style assignment" to average in to our test score after everyone failed our 3rd test.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kolodny posted:

Speaking of silly required classes, while all of the other engineering programs at VT have some sort of engineering econ class, AeroE had to take regular ECON 2005 Microeconomics, which is entirely different from engineering econ and doesn't touch on things that are on the FE exam. I have no idea why, and neither did anyone I asked, including the department dean. It didn't hurt too much, the class was easy enough and the econ on the FE exam is all reading tables, but I'd love to know why at some point someone thought "we should diverge entirely from other engineering programs and toss the AeroE kids into a normal ECON class."

Did you not have microecon as a GenEd req? I think it's good to have both to be a well-rounded individual but interesting that Aero would be different otherwise.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Hed posted:

Did you not have microecon as a GenEd req? I think it's good to have both to be a well-rounded individual but interesting that Aero would be different otherwise.

Econ is not a required class at VT. I didn't take it as an ME.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 10, 2023

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Hed posted:

We had the normal bevy of GenEd requirements, which amounted to "pick X amount of credit hours each from these 7 course categories" Econ satisfied some of those requirements, but like Frinkahedron said it wasn't specifically required other than for Aero.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KetTarma posted:

I feel that it is necessary to inform the world that I just spent 13 hours generating 14 pages of calculations for a circuit analysis 201 assignment.
I dont know if that means I suck or what but it is done and I am no longer sober.

E: my professor gave us the option of completing "an extremely difficult and time consuming take-home exam-style assignment" to average in to our test score after everyone failed our 3rd test.

My 4000 and 5000 structural steel classes had all take home exams. My finals took 18 and 22 hours of actual work to complete and I was using mathcad with all my equations stored so I just had to sort them around. It was actually really fun though.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Penn State has a list of Gen Eds that all students have to take- covered econ, writing, speech, math, science, etc. They've changed the structure of the requirements slightly since I graduated, but I had to take (IIRC) 2 art-type and 2 history-type classes. We had a list of specific classes that qualified that we had to pick from.

spwrozek posted:

My 4000 and 5000 structural steel classes had all take home exams. My finals took 18 and 22 hours of actual work to complete and I was using mathcad with all my equations stored so I just had to sort them around. It was actually really fun though.
My last take-home exam was 40-some pages of calculations and charts. Working on another take-home exam now, and it's shaping up about the same. I pity the TAs that have to grade this poo poo.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Hed posted:

My school didn't require specific non-core classes, but almost every Petroleum Engineering (only engineering degree offered) major used Micro-Economics as a social science course. The Engineering Economics course we took was extremely useful though because it was based on a book that mostly emphasized extraction industries (Stermole and Stremole).

IAMKOREA posted:

You know I always thought oil and gas would be really boring and I spent a lot of time delaying the inevitable, but now that I am here working in Houston I can honestly say that I love my job. I get to spend every day designing or troubleshooting things using what I learned in school. I am literally amazed on a daily basis by the problems I am able to solve using what I learned in my coursework.

Working here is great. As a person whose passion is being in the mountains, it's *living* here that bothers me. I have to say, I am pretty envious of you. With a degree from Mines you should be able to easily get a job in oil and gas in Denver. Don't let potentially great opportunities slip past you just because you had a bad experience in undergrad.

I just moved back to Houston after working in the Four Corners area for 2 years and it has its good and bad. The biggest positive for working on the oil industry has to be the networking and job opportunities. I also agree with actually working in industry is very different than doing problems for class. I think my experience may come from the opposite direction though, since my college had practically zero technology input and we learned essentially the oil industry of 1975.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

KetTarma posted:

Just out of curiosity, you should post the problem. Let's see if the pros can show you a thing or two :smug:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

resident posted:

Just out of curiosity, you should post the problem. Let's see if the pros can show you a thing or two :smug:

Everyone would just use a actual program to do it.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I PMed you a linky.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah, it's just a ridiculously involved test (5 questions with 3 to 5 parts each). If you were showing every single line of work required to determine equivalent circuits I can easily see how you ended up with 15 pages of work. The i(t) capacitor/ v(t) inductor and op amp questions were probably required the least work shown.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I did the math and turns out I need exactly 100.0 on that exam to bring my grade back up to an A in that class.

Somehow, I think that won't happen.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Me in college posted:

I did the math and turns out I need exactly 100.0 on that exam to bring my grade back up to an B- in that class.

Somehow, I think that won't happen.

Go to class ya'll

Tovarisch Rafa
Nov 4, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Looking at my student loans, the desire to run away to a country where I will get paid a roughly identical salary to what I expect to get now, but where I wont have to pay back my loans is looking almost tempting.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

THE RED MENACE posted:

Go to class ya'll

Word. That's how we do (get to graduation).

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
As an engineer, you'll probably be making too much money to be able to even get a tax deduction, but ypu CAN deduct a home equity loan, so do that if you can.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

grover posted:

As an engineer, you'll probably be making too much money to be able to even get a tax deduction, but ypu CAN deduct a home equity loan, so do that if you can.

Unless they were gifted a house or bought right before crazy appreciation why would anyone have enough home equity to offset their student debt?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Since GBS is a shithole now, there isn't anywhere else to really talk about this. In case anyone sees i the next 10-15 minutes, the Falcon 9 v1.1 is about to have it's second flight, this time with a comm satellite on board:

You can watch here, currently at T-0:06:11 and frozen
http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

e: reset clock to 13:00, they havent started the countdown. Looks like they have one more chance for their launch window.

e: aborted, this thursday will be next attempt

VVVV thanks!!!

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 26, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The spaceflight thread got refuge here thankfully.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

mitztronic posted:

Since GBS is a shithole now, there isn't anywhere else to really talk about this. In case anyone sees i the next 10-15 minutes, the Falcon 9 v1.1 is about to have it's second flight, this time with a comm satellite on board:

You can watch here, currently at T-0:06:11 and frozen
http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

e: reset clock to 13:00, they havent started the countdown. Looks like they have one more chance for their launch window.

The Spaceflight thread moved to SAL. :eng101:

e;fb

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
The gif in the OP is perfect

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Is there any reason to buy a copy of Matlab-Student if I can install Octave?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Incidentally, I discovered you can use the 30-day free trial of minitab indefinitely, provided you never close it or reboot your computer...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

KetTarma posted:

A big one would be if you need to use stuff in one of the Matlab Toolboxes or Simulink. I think there are Octave packages to imitate most of them but I can't say for sure how well they'll reproduce the functionality.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

KetTarma posted:

Are you sure your engineering IT department doesn't provide it? Also can Remote Desktop if they have they service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

It's available on the computers at school. I cant login remotely to my desktop from home.
The goal is to be able to work on projects without having to drive 25 miles.