Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

KittenofDoom posted:

I think you're legally obligated to post the rest of that fight scene.

Dude, Rocky is loving M.O.D.O.K. up.

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of it and couldn't GIS the rest of the fight. I realized I didn't source my other stuff earlier, but that's from Great Lakes Avengers X-Mas Special # 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

redbackground posted:

You shouldn't be surprised to hear that this is one of my ongoing projects--I've got 4 issues remaining to collect.

Reposting my favorite scene:

SSS #48

Oh that page gives me a delicious idea for a Ruin The Moment post.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Coughing Hobo posted:

It's been posted a lot in this thread, but I think one of the best examples of doing this thing well is that one opening page from an issue of Hawkeye, where it invokes the look and feel of the 1992 X-Men arcade game.

Here we go, found it.

Also Wolverine clawing a guy in the nuts.
Yeah, this is supposed to look like Captain America and the Avengers, not X-Men Arcade.

prefect posted:

Was that made by the same people who did "Captain America and the Avengers"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGuK8g3XHeQ
X-Men was Konami, Cap was Data East.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Action Tortoise posted:

Those redesigns are really interesting, as well as how SpOck is written. I haven't kept up, does he even try to joke around like Peter did to cover himself or is it straight up Octavius lording over the dudes he's beating up? I do like how his outfit looks like a combination of other Spider-Man outfits. The spider on the back is supposed to be like the Iron Spider one, right?

Generally lording over, although he does occasionally make a joke, usually by accident. And as for the Iron Spider look on the back, you're pretty close! Right down to having Spider-arms. See? Also, have more of Magneto breaking down supervillain psychology while SpOck nearly has a freakout. Still A+X 14:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

Reposting my favorite scene:

SSS #48

I would like to assume that Spidey's reaction is to yell "NOOOOOOO!" and possibly total a phone booth.

Anyway, I suspect these pages have been posted before but I enjoy this sequence from Thor #341:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Peter Parker in Cart Life

Holy poo poo, laughing my rear end of at SSS, best thing I've seen in this thread. That last panel is gold. C'mon Marvel, give us a book!

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
The thing is, I do recall Magneto working from a circus! He used little-known villain Mesmero as a catspaw to capture the whole of the X-Men, announcing his return after being deaged by some alien being.

Does anyone else remember that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Magneto's "villains are dumb" stuff is funny and all but he hasn't got a leg to stand on considering the 15 or so first years of his publication history. Especially not about the monologuing.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The gag is that both of them think they are just so different and better then the usual stock villain and they aren't.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Neige posted:

The thing is, I do recall Magneto working from a circus! He used little-known villain Mesmero as a catspaw to capture the whole of the X-Men, announcing his return after being deaged by some alien being.

Yes and Aaron did a lovely homage to it in Wolverine and the X-men. It was when Beast rejoined the X-men.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neige posted:

That was the lead-in to "Magneto Triumphant". It had that great splash page where he reveals himself right at the end of the issue.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Neige posted:

To be fair, Magneto never worked WITH Mesmero. He just found out what Mesmero was doing when he followed Beast to the circus they were at, and just sat back and watched the show. This was followed by flying around the world in a circus wagon, and turning the X-Men into man-babies as part of his revenge.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

Anyway, I suspect these pages have been posted before but I enjoy this sequence from Thor #341:

Walt Simonson wrote a really fun Nick Fury. This might have been the first time I saw glasses being referred to as "cheaters".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

Walt Simonson wrote a really fun Nick Fury. This might have been the first time I saw glasses being referred to as "cheaters".

John Byrne likes the term too. He used it in his Man of Steel mini when Lucy Lane was partially blinded.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Action Tortoise posted:

I unironically love what was posted. I was rereading the Spoiler one last night and on my third go I realized that when the guy said he lost his place he was talking about the comic he was holding in his hands. I thought it was a non-sequitur. Plus I'm a sucker for terribly obvious puns.

If an omnibus ever comes out I'll hunt down a copy.

I just decided to look up what I found at the bookstore, "The Best of Spidey Super Stories Volume 1" and drat, it's going for more that seventy bucks online, and it was less than 15 where I saw it. Now I'm thinking if I get an excuse to go back up to Lansing I'll have to look for it again.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Lurdiak posted:

Magneto's "villains are dumb" stuff is funny and all but he hasn't got a leg to stand on considering the 15 or so first years of his publication history. Especially not about the monologuing.

Judging from the page posted, all I'm seeing is 'he's drawing from personal experience'. Which is effective enough. All that's missing is something like "Why did I ever do this sort of thing?". In my head I'm combining with that 'X-Men looking back at the old days' bit.

Of course, at least half the reason I might be a little forgiving is watching Magneto here I STILL hear 'Avalon' as he smashes that AIM Controller.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 21, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, maybe he's just indulging on the Jewish pastime of making self-depreciating jokes.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Plutonis posted:

Hey, maybe he's just indulging on the Jewish pastime of making self-depreciating jokes.

I'm pretty sure Magneto isn't Jewish. Isn't he a gypsy or something?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Super Dan posted:

The Wikipedia says:
"Magneto was born Max Eisenhardt sometime in the late 1920s to a middle class German Jewish family"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Super Dan posted:

I believe how it went was he was a gypsy but then got changed to being Jewish.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I think Doom is the one who's Romani.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure he was Jewish first, then Roma for a bit (hence the name Erik Lehnsherr), then back to being Jewish.

e: I don't think they explicitly identified him as Jewish at first, but it was definitely very strongly implied

Zeeman fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 22, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Doom's a gypsy, Magneto's occasionallya gypsy. Are there any flat out heroic roma in Marvel?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Prison Warden posted:

Doom's a gypsy, Magneto's occasionallya gypsy. Are there any flat out heroic roma in Marvel?

Do Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch count? Their mother was Roma, at the very least

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Zeeman posted:

Do Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch count? Their mother was Roma, at the very least

They've both been super-villains for a not insignificant time at one point or another, though.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Are there any flat out heroic roma in Marvel?

Victor von Doom :doom:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

They've both been super-villains for a not insignificant time at one point or another, though.

Unless it's different from X-Men, it's always been against their wills. Magneto basically threatened them when they appeared as villains, and they always had the sub-plot of "we do it because we must".

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Amanda Sefton, Nightcrawler's sister/lover is a nice gypsy.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Wasn't Nightcrawler Roma? Or was he just raised by a Roma family because if so then his sister I guess.

EDIT: :argh:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

In the original X-Men (like before) Giant Size, it seemed like he was a gypsy, but it was never really mentioned. His kids were explicitly called gypsies, and they never explicitly said otherwise for Magneto, so it just seems like he was a gypsy.

Claremont made him Jewish, then he was made a gypsy again according to this website.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stagger_Lee posted:

Nightcrawler's sister/lover.

Am I the only one horrified by this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus christ when did that happen?!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Foster sister

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Plutonis posted:

Am I the only one horrified by this?

It is Claremont what do you expect?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Foster sister

Not helping!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Foster sister

Just like in my animes...!

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Plutonis posted:

Just like in my animes...!

At this point I'm starting to think anime doesn't have anything on Claremont...

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Superstring posted:

At this point I'm starting to think anime doesn't have anything on Claremont...

When anime started to spread across the US in the 90s, Claremont probably laughed "you guys are so behind" and then phoned Stan Lee to make Cyclops Wolverine's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Heroic Roma/Gypsie/Traveller/ What about... The Nomad!

And was Claremont responsible for the quicksilver/Scarlet Witch hookup? Because they didn't even have the excuse of being not blood-relations...

• Locked thread