Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ugh, I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong but I can't seem to evolve my Inkay. It's already level 32 and it still won't evolve no matter how much I turned my 3ds around. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Ugh, I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong but I can't seem to evolve my Inkay. It's already level 32 and it still won't evolve no matter how much I turned my 3ds around. :argh:

Are you holding it upside-down as it's leveling up?

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So I keep trying to do Special in the Rating Battle area, and it's giving me a message saying "There is at least one Pokémon that is not able to participate."

What's the deal? My team is Gengar, Mamoswine, Salamence, Togekiss, Mega Venusaur, Metagross. None of them are hacked so idk what the deal is.

Special has different rules each season and this season is gen 6 monsters only.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Hippowdon with Sand Tomb can make a terrifying trapper. It's a shame none of the pokemon that give it Slack Off are available at the moment, so you'll have to use StockPile and Swallow for recovery. Nevertheless, that thing can destroy teams.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
What's a good nature for pineco/fortress?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Tired Moritz posted:

Hold it upside down during the entire battle that he's going to level in. I think the key moment is as the levelup occurs.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Oak was updated with X/Y Pokemon!

e: Sorry, forgot the link.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oak/id717984967?mt=8

Not sure how reliable it is since it's an overall Pokedex and might not have stats correct for XY.

e2: So far, from what I can tell from R/B/Y Pokes available in XY, the current locations in XY locations are excluded.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 22, 2013

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Emong posted:

So 100% Crit Rate Hydreigon is pretty fun.

Hydreigon@Scope Lens
-Focus Energy
-Draco Meteor
-Dark Pulse
-Flash Cannon

Once you Focus Energy every single one of your attacks will be a crit, and since critical hits use the higher of your base attacking stat and your modified attacking stat you can spam Draco Meteors all day long without any loss in power. Flash Cannon is mostly just to hit fairies that try to switch in on a Draco Meteor.

e: Kingdra could probably do it better since he can get Sniper, but I wanted to use Hydreigon for something.

I while back, but I just tried this is Pokemon Showdown. It doesn't seem to work for some reason, I'm not getting any crits.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

MinistryofLard posted:

I while back, but I just tried this is Pokemon Showdown. It doesn't seem to work for some reason, I'm not getting any crits.

Same, I believe they haven't updated crit rates yet. Additionally, crits seem to use the attack with stat changes in mind, so your Draco Meteor will get weaker over time.

e: I don't understand why Fairy couldn't resist Ghost as well. Now Ghost is effective against 2 types, resisted by only one type and only Normal, a rare type in higher tiers, is immune to it. Offensively, it's probably the best type now.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 22, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
...Are you telling me that Battle/Shell Armor have a use now?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

The Leper Colon V posted:

...Are you telling me that Battle/Shell Armor have a use now?

It's been the best ability for single battle Marowak since Gen 5 (only one that does anything more like).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rudoku posted:

It's been the best ability for single battle Marowak since Gen 5 (only one that does anything more like).
I guess it's also usable on Kingler, too, now that Crabhammer's not awful? Maybe?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Rudoku posted:

Lightning Rod is pretty useful in doubles. Most notably, it blocks thunder wave.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Could someone possibly explain this shiny number thing please?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MustelaFuro posted:

Could someone possibly explain this shiny number thing please?
Basically, each egg pops into existence with a number from 1 to 4096. Each trainer also gets a number. When the egg hatches, the game checks whether your number matches the egg's. If it does, the 'mon comes out shiny.

Both numbers are hidden, but can be discovered by reading the data the 3DS sends through your wifi. So, since 99.9% of all eggs will never come out shiny for their owners, people start trading. Like, if I have a personal Shiny Value of 132, someone might send me an egg with that same value, because it will come out as shiny for me. In exchange, they hope to at some point get eggs with their own shiny number.

TL;DR: The game checks numbers to see if an egg hatches shiny. People trade to make those numbers match, and get shinies.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Hot drat, I guess the game felt sorry for me last night because after finding four shiny Pansears in this loving safari I finally nabbed a shiny Modest Larvesta with IVs of 31 / 14–19 / 31 / 24–26 / 27–29 / 31 :swoon:

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Considering I've never once found a natural shiny despite playing through every generation of the games, I'm kind of tempted to do this. I'm guessing I'd have to download some specific program?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Any ideas on how to improve it or just better deal with Cloyster? If I get it working well enough I think I might try and get it all in-game.

You may need a priority user (or two) to deal with Cloyster because after a shell smash he outspeeds your whole team and will sweep unless rock blast misses. Unfortunately most unboosted priority moves won't ohko even against a -1 defense. Burning or doing a good chunk of damage to Cloyster as he switches in will help a bit. Max Defense Rotom-W is also a decent check that can survive +2 boosted moves and OHKO with a thunderbolt.

Comedy Option - Quagsire or Clefable.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 22, 2013

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

MustelaFuro posted:

Considering I've never once found a natural shiny despite playing through every generation of the games, I'm kind of tempted to do this. I'm guessing I'd have to download some specific program?

Are other people in the thread doing this? After a month of not getting this stupid shiny frog (and my friend getting it this morning without even trying), I really want to give up doing it the 'normal' way.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Are other people in the thread doing this? After a month of not getting this stupid shiny frog (and my friend getting it this morning without even trying), I really want to give up doing it the 'normal' way.

I don't know. I only noticed that in the googledocs thing there is a page that lists people's shiny numbers. I don't know that the program is or how to use it though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/instacheck-hotspot-a-fast-pok%E9mon-checker-for-xy.3492531/

You need this app, then just trade the egg with someone who has a shiny value that is the same as one of the eggs.

Also, there is a huge one with GameFAQs people, but GameFAQs people are literally the worst kinds of people.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The goon safari spreadsheet has some trainer shiny #'s, but if you really want a shiny you will have to trade with people in #shinyvalue. Last I checked they had almost 2k trainers I think. It's a combination of smogon dudes and redditors mostly.

edit:
Also, your "shiny number" isn't anything new. The way the game determines if a pokemon is shiny hasn't changed. It's still using:
code:
if ((TID ^ SID ^ (PID >> 16) ^ (PID & 0xffff)) < 16)
where TID is your trainer ID, SID is your secret ID, and PID is the pokemon's ID
The change between this gen and previous gens is that it used to be < 8. The trainer and egg "shiny numbers" are just
code:
trainer_shiny = (SID ^ TID) >> 4
egg_shiny = ((PID >> 16) ^ (PID & 0xffff)) >> 4
Having the top 12 bits in the trainer part and the egg part match means that the XOR will give you the < 16.

In past gens your shiny number would have just been the same as above except >> 2.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 22, 2013

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

astr0man posted:

The goon safari spreadsheet has some trainer shiny #'s, but if you really want a shiny you will have to trade with people in #shinyvalue. Last I checked they had almost 2k trainers I think. It's a combination of smogon dudes and redditors mostly.
I assume then it's a real gamble on who will just up and steal your Pokemon then.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MustelaFuro posted:

I assume then it's a real gamble on who will just up and steal your Pokemon then.
From what I can tell, they keep a running blacklist.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
They have been pretty good about blacklisting jerks who steal shiny pokemon. I know Emalde has at least 3 or 4 shinies that he got from using #shinyvalue. If someone steals your egg just let the people in chat know and they'll get removed from the list. #shinyvalue's sheet is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ak2hDRJIzJHbdFItaVJidTRTZTJxZnY1dThxNzRxbHc

You can see the blacklist worksheet as well.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

MustelaFuro posted:

I've been catching all of mine in the friend safari, I've found about 14 so far. It's seriously broken in there.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Voltin Bolt posted:

I've been catching all of mine in the friend safari, I've found about 14 so far. It's seriously broken in there.

I've spent hours farming friend safaris for Inkay and Sneasel and never encountered a single shiny. I tend to have horrible luck though...

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

poo poo, double post, oops.

noirstronaut posted:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/instacheck-hotspot-a-fast-pok%E9mon-checker-for-xy.3492531/

You need this app, then just trade the egg with someone who has a shiny value that is the same as one of the eggs.

Also, there is a huge one with GameFAQs people, but GameFAQs people are literally the worst kinds of people.

Looking at that thread, it seems you have to trade the eggs just to find out what it's info is. That seems really tedious. This seems like the kind of thing that would be best done by pairing up with someone to swap eggs back and forth.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

horriblePencilist posted:

Hippowdon with Sand Tomb can make a terrifying trapper. It's a shame none of the pokemon that give it Slack Off are available at the moment, so you'll have to use StockPile and Swallow for recovery. Nevertheless, that thing can destroy teams.

Can't you still use Smeargle to pass any move to the Field group?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Voltin Bolt posted:

Is there a trick to it? I've spent 2 hours cycling around with an Illuminate lead and Encounter Power 2 and not found anything in the safaris yet.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Balon posted:

Is there a trick to it? I've spent 2 hours cycling around with an Illuminate lead and Encounter Power 2 and not found anything in the safaris yet.

It's still just percent chance, albeit possibly higher than in other spots, and Illuminate and Encounter Power don't affect the shiny rate at all.

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol

Zoness posted:

It's still just percent chance, albeit possibly higher than in other spots, and Illuminate and Encounter Power don't affect the shiny rate at all.

Yeah I feel like my luck is broken - I've hit nothing so far after hours of dicking around in there. Is there anything that would hinder someone's chances? I have a friend safari with pumpkaboo and lampent (no third) and like that because I'd be happy with either shiny. No dice so far. I've temporarily gone back to a gastly breeding spree because at least the 5IV timid gastlies I end up with can be traded away.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

I feel like the items available via the pickup ability are worse this generation.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

The Mechanical Hand posted:

Yeah I feel like my luck is broken - I've hit nothing so far after hours of dicking around in there. Is there anything that would hinder someone's chances? I have a friend safari with pumpkaboo and lampent (no third) and like that because I'd be happy with either shiny. No dice so far. I've temporarily gone back to a gastly breeding spree because at least the 5IV timid gastlies I end up with can be traded away.
I wrote a sort of guide on it, but it seriously does just involve spending time in there. I think the longest I spent looking for something was around four hours, shortest was within the first couple of encounters.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MustelaFuro posted:

I feel like the items available via the pickup ability are worse this generation.

It's the exact same table as in B2W2.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Would it be viable to do a poke-radar chain in the Friend Safari, or is it too small of a grass patch?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

deadly_pudding posted:

Would it be viable to do a poke-radar chain in the Friend Safari, or is it too small of a grass patch?

It's never let me use the radar in the safari.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

MustelaFuro posted:

poo poo, double post, oops.

Looking at that thread, it seems you have to trade the eggs just to find out what it's info is. That seems really tedious. This seems like the kind of thing that would be best done by pairing up with someone to swap eggs back and forth.

You don't actually have to trade the eggs. You just have to "show" the egg in a trade to get it's info to show up in instacheck. You can do this with a goon from #pokegoons. Then once you have the egg you want, you try to see if theres a shiny number match in the goon or #shinyvalue spreadsheets. Basically you shouldn't be instachecking anything until you are at the point in your breeding chain where you are getting a bunch of 5iv eggs and so forth.

edit: and checking eggs really isn't any more tedious then chaining, or safari farming.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 22, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Klefki can always relearn Spikes, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

deadly_pudding posted:

It just doesn't work there. I've tried already.

• Locked thread