Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Okay, so a while back I got into an argument with some friends who were convinced Zimmerman really wasn't guilty. That he wasn't getting a fair shake because the overly-racially-sensitive media decided he was guilty. So, given recent events (and really, every single thing that Zimmerman has done after the trial), I decided to bring the conversation back up. This is what I got. (Purple is me...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I don't think either of them are really following the news. All the stories about him are making it sound more and more likely that he brandished the gun before Martin hit him, putting Martin in fear of his life, or at least did something more than just follow.

That said, yellow is mostly right about the reasonable doubt thing. Self defense in my opinion SHOULD be an affirmative defense, but in Florida law it isn't.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The fact that Yellow doesn't even know how many people were on the Jury makes me think that they didn't actually pay very much attention to the process. I mean, I don't expect people to have sat through all the testimony the way that D&D did, the six-person jury was notable to most people paying attention because everyone assumes its always twelve.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The jury selection was a cluster gently caress, too. 6 women, 5 white, one of them had a lawyer for a husband and lined up a book deal.

On miataturbo (a libertarian haven), a bunch of people are saying poo poo like "omg he's probably so stressed out from the trial and that's why he's making all of these rash decisions. There's always two sides to a story!!" I met the admin at a race at VIR, big shocker that he was a white guy... Who spends all day railing against the government at his job as a government contractor.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

The first guy doesn't know how to spell Trayvon's name, and wants to base his argument on his own idea of what happened rather than the evidence at trial (which he points out but probably doesn't actually realize.) And the second guy doesn't realize it was 6 jurors not 12, but comes as close as you can to saying "Yeah I was wrong" without actually saying it. Pfft.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ashcans posted:

The fact that Yellow doesn't even know how many people were on the Jury makes me think that they didn't actually pay very much attention to the process. I mean, I don't expect people to have sat through all the testimony the way that D&D did, the six-person jury was notable to most people paying attention because everyone assumes its always twelve.
Also, the standard of proof isn't beyond a shadow of a doubt, it's beyond a reasonable doubt, otherwise very few people would be convicted.

They're at least right about not guilty being very different from innocent though, which is always important to bear in mind. It seems after too many high profile/celebrity rape cases with a not guilty verdict I hear some lovely opinions from people saying "the court proved that the person accused didn't do it, therefore the accuser must be lying, they should be charged with perjury" :eng99:.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

platzapS posted:

I would start with "Why does it matter so much how much the CEO makes?" It has very little to do with how effective the charity is.
Ehh I'd counter that with "if it doesn't matter then why is it so high?" I guess the idea is that to compete in getting a decent CEO they have to basically resort to regular corporate CEO pay, but I've been pretty disgusted with CEO pay generally.

Anyways, that original post about charities, you may notice, has a lot of veteran charities in it. I remember getting something like that in text from the neighborhood mailing list from the "VETERANS!" guy. That's all he talks about and he crams it into everything. Now all I see in my mind's eye when I read his emails is "VETERANS" repeated over and over again like "VET ERANSV ET ERANS VETE! RANS."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

e_angst posted:

That he wasn't getting a fair shake because the overly-racially-sensitive media decided he was guilty.

That's ridiculous. It was Trayvon who wasn't getting a fair shake as far as the terrible mishandling of the investigation, arrest, arraignment, etc. of Zimmerman. I mean, whenever someone brings up a news article about black-on-white crime, the suspect is almost always arrested within hours

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Last night's Daily Show had a segment in which correspondent Jessica Williams, a black woman, had some street interviews with black people about racial profiling while shopping and demonstrated "tips" like bringing a white friend and loudly announcing your intentions and asking for permission to buy stuff.

I saw an article about it and read some comments, because I'm apparently a masochist. Half of them where "Why aren't these racist liberals talking about knockout games?!"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Local teens doing a stupid thing they saw on the internet, film at 11.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

platzapS posted:

I would start with "Why does it matter so much how much the CEO makes?" It has very little to do with how effective the charity is.

Because it could potentially call into question the motives of the people running the charity and whether or not it is functioning as it is expected to by donors. Would you want to donate to a charity whose board was more concerned with making money than with actually helping people? It is a completely reasonable concern.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah just because the motive behind the picture (Notice how many of the "good" charities are for Vets or Christian based organizations) are questionable, how much a CEO makes can potentially be an issue.

I think the real issue is directly comparing the makeup of charities that serve very different needs and communities is flawed.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

1stGear posted:

The religious right in this country desperately wants to be a persecuted minority.

Which is why I'm surprised they react so negatively to the Handmaid's Tale. You'd think they'd lap that poo poo up as an instruction manual or something.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Pfirti86 posted:

Which is why I'm surprised they react so negatively to the Handmaid's Tale. You'd think they'd lap that poo poo up as an instruction manual or something.

Well it shows a woman not being perfectly happy with her position, so it is a) unrealistic and b) liberal propaganda.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

ArchangeI posted:

Well it shows a woman not being perfectly happy with her position, so it is a) unrealistic and b) liberal propaganda.

Maybe that's just because the book wasn't written from the perspective of the Sons of Jacob. I think it'd be very easy to tweek it into an instruction manual, or something more along the lines of The Turner Diaries.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Nevvy Z posted:

Local teens doing a stupid thing they saw on the internet, film at 11.

This is a bit more dangerous than the usual stupid stuff teenagers do.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A coworker of mine just literally sent me this as I was reading this thread on my lunchbreak:

http://downtrend.com/71superb/a-peanut-butter-and-jelly-sandwich-is-racist/

I... really don't know how to respond.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

seiferguy posted:

A coworker of mine just literally sent me this as I was reading this thread on my lunchbreak:

"Allow me, a white male, to explain the nuances of racism to this ignorant Hispanic woman."

There is a film I recently watched, can't remember the title, where a group of people of different races have a conversation about it and it was amazing how long it took one of the white guys to believe that minorities sometimes feel unsafe in white neighborhoods. One of the black guys literally had to start yelling at him in frustration before he realized that they weren't just trying to play victims.

Fuckt Tupp fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 22, 2013

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Internet Webguy posted:

"Allow me, a white male, to explain the nuances of racism to this ignorant Hispanic woman."

There is a film I recently watched, can't remember the title, where a group of people of different races have a conversation about it and it was amazing how long it took one of the white guys to believe that blacks and Asians sometimes feel unsafe in white neighborhoods. One of the black guys literally had to start yelling at him in frustration before he realized that they weren't just trying to play victims.

If somebody knows the title of this I'd really like to watch it.

E: Thanks! VVV

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 22, 2013

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If somebody knows the title of this I'd really like to watch it.

I went searching and found it. It's called "The Color of Fear" directed by Lee Mun Wah.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Its that time again. Liberal Logic 101!

TAXES!

ACA

Obamacare: The same as slavery.

Countin' donations to anti-gay and anti-abortion movements as charity.

Obamacare Sabotage.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

seiferguy posted:

In order to understand where Verenice Gutierrez is coming from, you might need to challenge some of your already existing ideas about racism. This will require the ability to comprehend the abstract concept of 'varying degrees,' for example, I would describe the temperature at night in my neighborhood as being 'cold,' I would also describe Antarctica as 'cold.' That does not mean that I think that my neighborhood is an uninhabitable wasteland at night.

This might sound patronizing but let me quote the first sentence of the article: "If you have ever had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, you are no better than the Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan."

Because we're hearing Verenice Gutierrez's words through the filter of the author, I'm having to make some guesses, but I think she was trying to explain a subtle form of racism, 'White privilege.'
The reason she chose PB&J sandwiches is that when people think of "Default Lunch," they probably think of PB&J.
Let's imagine that you're designing a menu for children, for every day you have an interesting entree, maybe Meatloaf on Mondays, Tacos on Tuesdays, Lasagna Wednesday and so on. You also provide the option of PB&J instead. For most children, this is a great setup, they get a great entree but if they aren't feeling adventurous and want something simple, comfortable and easy, they can get PB&J.

But would a hispanic child feel the same way? His idea of "Default Lunch" might be 'Bean Burrito.' So when he sees the two choices of Lasagna and PB&J, it's a choice between two 'weird' foods.

Does that make the white kids Klansmen? No, it's just an example of how privilege works. It's something you want to be aware of. If you're walking around the lunchroom and notice that some of the Hispanic children haven't eaten much of their food, it would help to realize that these kids might be coming from a different point of view. Your first reaction might be that they're picky and entitled, but maybe it's more like the reaction you'd expect if you served eel sushi; Many of the kids will love it, but a decent percentage will be too uncomfortable with the weird food to eat.

So that's where 'Courageous Conversations' come in, it's important for educators to keep an eye out for times where "Default" is based on a white perspective.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Obamacare Sabotage.

I absolutely love that "ACA" requires an asterisk footnote.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Breadallelogram posted:

I absolutely love that "ACA" requires an asterisk footnote.

I like that the footnote has an additional explanation.

ACA1

[1]Affordable Care Act2
[2]Obamacare3
[3]Communist Government Takeover of Healthcare4
[4]The thing you need when you get sick5
[5]You know... coughing and stuff

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

e_angst posted:

Okay, so a while back I got into an argument with some friends who were convinced Zimmerman really wasn't guilty. That he wasn't getting a fair shake because the overly-racially-sensitive media decided he was guilty. So, given recent events (and really, every single thing that Zimmerman has done after the trial), I decided to bring the conversation back up. This is what I got. (Purple is me...)

Could be worse. A friend of mine from high school said all the blame he suffered made him snap. Considering his posting history, I doubt he was being satirical.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 22, 2013

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Fulchrum posted:

Obamacare Sabotage.

Well considering Republicans were involved in creating the law in the first place (and never mind the fact that the initial blueprint came from the 90's GOP), it's more like the engineer who designed the car telling you it was going to fail because he wanted it to.

edit: I demand accuracy in my metaphors.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Obamacare: The same as slavery.
Isn't this one also before that big switch thing that happened where today's Republicans are more like that day's Democrats and vice versa?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Wojtek posted:

Isn't this one also before that big switch thing that happened where today's Republicans are more like that day's Democrats and vice versa?

That never happened. Stop reading liberal propaganda.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

More like, you are a broke poor person without a car, and you need a car to live.
You go and buy a car, sure the brakes squeal a little bit, but it's better than no car at all! Then your dad freaks out about your brakes and tries repeatedly to tear your car apart, and then when it fails to work because of your loving dad, he screams "WELCOME TO THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!"

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
I love when they use that 50s era looking woman pointing her finger. I don't know why but it just always cracks me up.

The Anime Turnpike
Dec 30, 2010

I hate the new title font. Makes everything even more obnoxious in a 90's internet way.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
Actual chain of events.
1) The mechanic offers you a new set of brakes, made by the company that owns his shop.
2) You decline because you feel that particular set doesn't actually fix your problem.
3) You decide years later that your brakes are too lovely to hold out for a perfect solution, and offer to buy the brakes the mechanic offered you before.
4) The mechanic tells you you're an idiot and those brakes are poo poo, installs the brakes anyway, cuts the fluid lines, warps your rotors, and every time you talk to him afterwards he tries to take your brakes off but never wants to replace them with anything.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So which talking head is going on about knockout games this time? Because that poo poo is EVERYWHERE right now.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

At the rate LL keeps adding text, eventually it's just going to be an op ed with a stock photo for a background.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Emron posted:

At the rate LL keeps adding text, eventually it's just going to be an op ed with a stock photo for a background.

Hope N Change already has that particular niche of conservative fuckwits down.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

Hope N Change already has that particular niche of conservative fuckwits down.

I wonder if that title is going to change (hurr) after 2016

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Internet Webguy posted:

I went searching and found it. It's called "The Color of Fear" directed by Lee Mun Wah.

This looks like the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaXGxPzm42w

Thanks, had never heard of this documentary before.

SpamPudding
Aug 5, 2013

:peanut:
So this popped up in my news feed today...

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SpamPudding posted:

So this popped up in my news feed today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Ce2o8v9-k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have to say that as an Israeli living in the US, it is shocking to me that anyone would consider that Christmas is under attack here. I am already seeing decorations everywhere. :psyduck:

On the other hand, perhaps they are right. I mean, if anyone is equipped to notice the signs of an attempt to stealth-convert the population into apostasy by appropriating their holidays and changing the names, it'd be Christians right?