Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

bubbapook posted:

I swear to god, the number of loving bullshit cascades in these lightning rounds is definitely pushing me to just throw this game away. Just no point trying to improve your roster when the last six covers I've gotten from LRs were motherfucking hawkeyes.

Yeah the game definitely needs to find a way to ratchet down the randomness. Popping a couple health packs to refresh your team then watching the CPU match three into a series of ridiculous crit cascades leaving it with 30 Red AP and your team in shambles is pretty frustrating.

Maybe a character with a passive that nullifies crit damage or something? Would be tricky to balance. Make it's other abilities good and it becomes required for every team, make it too weak and nobody runs the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Honestly, I'm not seeing any difference in cascades on my end. They come and go. Sometimes it's me, others it's the AI, and when they get a multiply environment on Forest, it's time to retreat.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Oh nothing is different, it's been like this since launch. It's just a little too random for my tastes. Sometimes you steamroll for the entire duration of a lightning round without running out of health packs. Others on your first battle you make a match, the CPU makes one and it's game over.

Admittedly I'm not running the highest HP team, 85 Thor/85 CStorm/dummy villain, but chewing through roughly 9.5k HP in two turns is kind of brutal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pretty much why I load up on ap packs. Cuts down on randomness by letting you get a nice fat first strike in.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Yeah, being able to start every round with 5 extra yellow tiles+1200 damage goes a really long way toward making you less susceptible to RNG wildness.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Thank you Lightning Round. Doom is complete.

now I just need a SHITLOAD of ISOs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Got my first non-Iron Man 35/storm modern/hawkeye/blackwidow/juggernaut card from this lightning round.
It's Ms Marvel. :negative:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Someone make a mod for this game that auto targets classic storm so I can stop wiping my drat team about three times per lightning round.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Got my first non-Iron Man 35/storm modern/hawkeye/blackwidow/juggernaut card from this lightning round.

Wait, moonstone? Or an actual Ms Marvel?

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

SynthOrange posted:

I've only gotten one two star from the lightning rounds as well. It was Bagman.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

Wait, moonstone? Or an actual Ms Marvel?

Yup, the imposter. Sorry to get your hopes up!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'm ready to throw down any time Bgifter. Any time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Whee. Two more Loki covers. Now if only the two from earlier today would come through I might have the start of a decent Loki to level.

Edit: Hah, were you one of the Storm/Thors I was whacking? I didn't pay attention to names.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

BGrifter posted:

Whee. Two more Loki covers. Now if only the two from earlier today would come through I might have the start of a decent Loki to level.

Edit: Hah, were you one of the Storm/Thors I was whacking? I didn't pay attention to names.

Seriously? You dick. I was 20 points below you and only got 1.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Shwqa posted:

Seriously? You dick. I was 20 points below you and only got 1.

I was up and down like crazy for the last five minutes. Got up to 450ish, then back down to 350, no idea where I finished. I was spamming fights as fast as possible, hitting the buttons the second they appeared on screen.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jibo posted:

Someone make a mod for this game that auto targets classic storm so I can stop wiping my drat team about three times per lightning round.
The best part is when you have her targeted and Call The Storm comes up so you're like "sweet, press that button!" ~your team goes down~

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hmm, I could use this Thunderstorm on her, but she's only got 300 points. Thor over there could use that yellow blast a lot more! :downs:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Ghostlight posted:

The best part is when you have her targeted and Call The Storm comes up so you're like "sweet, press that button!" ~your team goes down~

The one that always gets me when I'm playing as fast as I can at the end of a tournament is getting Storm under 1391hp and reflexively switching targets so one Raging Tempest will wipe them all out. I always realize what I'm doing a split second after hitting the button to swing Thor's hammer.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I just won a game against Guest Magneto, 85 Thor, 80 Wolverine on literally the first turn thanks to starting with a 5-match environment tile :toot:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Today I actually had some time to play these lightning rounds. So far I have got a Ragarok green, Loki purple, and magneto purple. Not a bad haul.

Edit: holy poo poo I just realized how powerful magneto's blue ability is. At max skill level it cost 5 blue ap. It makes 2 blue tiles can make critical pretty frequently, which of course makes 5 blue ap. You can basically spam this attack every 1-3 turns with set up. It generates a ton of other AP along the way.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 22, 2013

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I just got my first diabolical token. It had a red ragnarok. Now to get 4 more.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fritzler posted:

I just got my first diabolical token. It had a red ragnarok. Now to get 4 more.

If lightning rounds keep going on like they are, you should save your hp for his ability. A 3/0 ragnarok is still a beast and can probably get you in the top 25. Course that is ragnarok's green ability so a few of those and some levels and you get something truly terrifying. I think at that point no one would attack you in lightning rounds.

This is basically my plan if I ever get ragnarok's red.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finally got another 3* villain card. Now Magneto can go up to level 18!

Dammit Loki, why're you useless in a fight? :negative:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Shwqa posted:

If lightning rounds keep going on like they are, you should save your hp for his ability. A 3/0 ragnarok is still a beast and can probably get you in the top 25. Course that is ragnarok's green ability so a few of those and some levels and you get something truly terrifying. I think at that point no one would attack you in lightning rounds.

This is basically my plan if I ever get ragnarok's red.

I only have 17 cover slots but I am also only 150 Hero Points away from buying a second rank for my Ragnorak red power, this has been a serious dilemma for me for awhile. :ohdear:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Turn one the CPU matches into a couple cascades giving it 400 environmental tiles in the swamp. *reaches for the retreat button*

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Aw man, I was rank 39 in that last lightning round with <1m remaining and I only ended up top 100 with a Bag man from a Heroic cover.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Just tried out a bit of a weird strategy in the last Lightning Round. If you're willing to skip a lot (by which I mean commonly 50+ times) you can consistantly farm people with a team like lvl 15 Doom/lvl 1/lvl 1 for ten points apiece. Managed to farm up over 4k ISOs and a Heroic Token doing it. It's tedious as hell, but my CStorm was at 300hp the whole time and I was out of health packs for most of the round so it was a way to grind without having the HP.

Even got an X-Force Wolverine red cover off the token.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Does the SHIELD Versus event ever reset?

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity

Shwqa posted:

Today I actually had some time to play these lightning rounds. So far I have got a Ragarok green, Loki purple, and magneto purple. Not a bad haul.

Edit: holy poo poo I just realized how powerful magneto's blue ability is. At max skill level it cost 5 blue ap. It makes 2 blue tiles can make critical pretty frequently, which of course makes 5 blue ap. You can basically spam this attack every 1-3 turns with set up. It generates a ton of other AP along the way.

The real strength of his ability is that his Blue tiles are able to overwrite ANY tile on the board. So he counters Loki/Doom/IM40/Hawkeye modern etc...

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

SynthOrange posted:

Hmm, I could use this Thunderstorm on her, but she's only got 300 points. Thor over there could use that yellow blast a lot more! :downs:

I've done this way more often than I'd like to admit.

Also. I tried so hard to stay in the 25-50 range for this morning's Loki event. I kept bouncing around between 15 and 40 and ended up 18th. :( I really would rather have someone other than Loki.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I tried hard for another Maggie Blue in the last lightning round, but competition was fierce. 465 points wasn't enough for Top 8.

Still, Magred - Doom - Spider-Man is an absolute joy to run. Easy criticals with Magnetic Field, your choice of death between Magnetic Translocation and Summon Demons, and Spider-Man to lock poo poo down and heal the team up at the end.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

You're not kidding about the Magneto tournament being crazy. I was mid 400's and wound up with a diabolical token. I ended up with a green Ragnarock for it though, so that almost makes up for there not being one more Rag tourney today.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Bandire posted:

You're not kidding about the Magneto tournament being crazy. I was mid 400's and wound up with a diabolical token. I ended up with a green Ragnarock for it though, so that almost makes up for there not being one more Rag tourney today.
I got a second Rag red from a diabolical token, which I am more than happy with. The last two events I got a red Rag, giving me 0/2. If I can level him up by today he will even be a better 3rd character for my 3 star team (currently Black Widow l.53, Iron Man l.64 and Loki l.18).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Dammit Loki, why're you useless in a fight? :negative:

At least he's good on Lightning rounds. He ends up being the MVP most of the time. So much that I end up thinking "drat it Thor, leave that crit tile for Loki you dick".

And hooray! The 3 Star tournament is loving off today!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This 3 star tournament really has been horse poo poo. It should've been a weekend tournament, not a week long. I have four 3 star covers, none are upgraded besides my 1/1 grey widow, and it's drat near impossible to get going on a team now because the ISO-churning tournament is the loving 3 star one. I'm okay with not playing for a few hours because of health packs but being excluded for an entire loving week is really testing my patience

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I just got an award that said I was a top ten finisher in the arena with two moonstone covers, some ISO and 50 HP. Did anyone else get this? I have no idea what this was for. For the arena where there was a moonstone award I was a top 2 finisher and got all three covers, so it isn't a redux of that.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Fritzler posted:

I just got an award that said I was a top ten finisher in the arena with two moonstone covers, some ISO and 50 HP. Did anyone else get this? I have no idea what this was for. For the arena where there was a moonstone award I was a top 2 finisher and got all three covers, so it isn't a redux of that.

I just got 3 moonstone covers, 100 HP, and a blue Hood cover, and two ISO awards. No idea what that was.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Hmm, I just got my delayed reward from the Loki round yesterday, plus a top 25 award from a Doom round, and some ISO. Pretty sure the Loki one was the only one missing though.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Well, 20k ISO saved up from the lightning rounds. If the next event is Daken or Dark Avengers as was rumoured then it's going into Daken, should take him from his current lvl 12 to something respectable. Otherwise, taking Thor from 75 to cap I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Whoa what the hell is going on with the random rewards?

I apparently placed top 10 and top 100 in a one star weekend tourney and got a bunch of ISO, 2 cap reds and a cap blue, 100 HP and 2 heroic tokens.

I guess everyone load the game up and get your manna from the heavens!