Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

tuyop posted:

If only it somehow synced with a kindle. :negative:

This is what I was thinking, it sounds pretty amazing already, but not even in their wildest dreams could they do that I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:siren: Paprika is on sale for $2.99 :siren:

If for some reason you still don't have it. Now's the time to grab it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It sounds cool but what's the benefit of using it over just like, clipping your recipes into Evernote?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

It sounds cool but what's the benefit of using it over just like, clipping your recipes into Evernote?

It looks a lot more complicated than that from just looking at the website.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Paprika owns. That's the app that sold my mom on getting an iPad. The grocery list feature is great, you just click one button and the whole recipe is added to your grocery list and synced to your phone from your iPad and vice versa.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

gently caress yeah thanks for this. This app is fantastic.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Question Mark Mound posted:

The old one is better because I have the old one and I know I'm right because why wouldn't I be? Technology doesn't get better over the course of several years, that's not how it works.

petewhitley posted:

It's a fairly lovely thing that computers inevitably become outdated (and sometimes even lose functionality) ~5yrs after release, but to be surprised/enraged when it happens it's just amazingly ignorant of what you're actually buying when you purchase one.

TheJoker138 posted:

Then go burn your iPad, and whatever you're using to post here and move out to the mountains and live off the land instead of bitching about a tablet you've never used.

you guys will say anything to defend your purchases :allears:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Truthfully, it is a bit weird to claim the first iPad is better than the current one because your children used a screwdriver as a stylus in guerrilla glass and it still works.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't really even remember what I said but the point is that when you even vaguely suggest to an Air owner that your iPad Classic is sufficient they start to poo poo their pants in anger and post post post about how worthless the Classic is, how much better the Air is etc, when they can't see the truth, that the iPad classic suits my needs and they need to post post post to make themselves feel better for spending hard earned cash on what amounts to a "slightly better iPad"

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

This is what I was thinking, it sounds pretty amazing already, but not even in their wildest dreams could they do that I guess.
Maybe Amazon will buy them out and kill the app like they did with Stanza :negative:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

I don't really even remember what I said but the point is that when you even vaguely suggest to an Air owner that your iPad Classic is sufficient they start to poo poo their pants in anger and post post post about how worthless the Classic is, how much better the Air is etc, when they can't see the truth, that the iPad classic suits my needs and they need to post post post to make themselves feel better for spending hard earned cash on what amounts to a "slightly better iPad"

Nah to be real i'd be stoked as gently caress if I had an air but I don't so i ride that classic all the way home (if you know what I mean). s
orry for loving you guys up. super cruel.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echinopsis posted:

If things you did on it before (Netflix) no longer work, and doing those things is something you expect to be able to do with it, then it no longer suits your needs.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
too bad it still does I guess

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
Are you guys having premium features of Evernote? Is it worth it?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Serious Sam posted:

Totally worth it. I use Evernote as an extension of my brain as well as a paperless system though.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

echinopsis posted:

feel better for spending hard earned cash on what amounts to a "slightly better iPad"

As I said, mine original iPad broke. Also you're ignorant to think the Air is only slightly better than the original iPad.

I feel no guilt over the purchase. You made a dumb comment that the original iPad was better than the Air when in fact there is actually nothing better about the original iPad from every single iPad that proceeded it.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

Serious Sam posted:

Sort of? OCR is pretty neat, but other than that I don't find it overly beneficial.

The trick is getting it cheap enough it doesn't matter. I got 12 months heavily discounted in a OS X app bundle. Then last week my mobile phone provider gave out a bonus free 12 months.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Serious Sam posted:

I got it with that moleskine notebook, it's been excellent so far. Most of my class notes are handwritten so the OCR is pretty important to me and works surprisingly well.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I bought paprika for the iPad and it's pretty awesome. Though do I really have to buy another app for my iPhone to sync the shopping list? I hope I've just misunderstood because I'm not going to take my iPad with me shopping and that feature seems really nice.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Shelf Adventure posted:

I bought paprika for the iPad and it's pretty awesome. Though do I really have to buy another app for my iPhone to sync the shopping list? I hope I've just misunderstood because I'm not going to take my iPad with me shopping and that feature seems really nice.

Unfortunately yes, it is not a universal app. Both the iPhone and iPad apps are on sale though and well worth the $3 each.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Unfortunately yes, it is not a universal app. Both the iPhone and iPad apps are on sale though and well worth the $3 each.

The Mac app is on sale as well for $10 and I'm resisting the urge to buy it. The iPhone app + the bookmarklet should be good enough but the Mac app just looks so nice.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I got it for my iPad ages ago when the goon that made it posted about it here.

I'm not prepared to buy it two more times when Evernote can largely do the same thing

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Boxer (the mail client) is on sale for .99 right now. Really glad I didn't buy it for $5.99 when I first found out about it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In the Marvin how do you add books from your iBooks collection? I've a few books I've bought from the store that I don't have on my laptop / dropbox (for example).

Cheers.

edit: ah, judging by this link (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/marvin-e-reader-for-ios-is-better-than-kindle-ibooks/) you can't. gently caress that then. Delete.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ICHIBAHN posted:

In the Marvin how do you add books from your iBooks collection? I've a few books I've bought from the store that I don't have on my laptop / dropbox (for example).

Cheers.

edit: ah, judging by this link (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/marvin-e-reader-for-ios-is-better-than-kindle-ibooks/) you can't. gently caress that then. Delete.

It seems awesome if you aren't already part of someone's ebook ecosystem, but if you are then it just gets in the way of reading. :(

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah gently caress DRM. Google "calibre drm" to see how to get your purchases onto other platforms (including Marvin).

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

withak posted:

Yeah gently caress DRM. Google "calibre drm" to see how to get your purchases onto other platforms (including Marvin).

Yep, just use Calibre to remove the DRMs and convert to epub. That's what I did and it works fine.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

It's come to the point I'm sick of being me and need a way to properly set up schedules and notes for myself. I've looked through recommendations, but I'm not quite sure if I know what app would serve me best. I'm thinking Evernote would be great, but how does it connect to the calendar? I'd like to be able to attach fairly extensive notes (typed and/or handwritten) to calendar dates somehow. Ideally, it would have a website or platform that connects to Windows 7 as well, but that might be a long shot. Can anyone guide me through the magical world of note-taking and calendar apps?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If you need to tie long notes to specific days, would a diary app like Day One do the trick?

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

If you need to tie long notes to specific days, would a diary app like Day One do the trick?

That might help with quite a few things. I'll look into it some more and see!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

broken pixel posted:

It's come to the point I'm sick of being me and need a way to properly set up schedules and notes for myself. I've looked through recommendations, but I'm not quite sure if I know what app would serve me best. I'm thinking Evernote would be great, but how does it connect to the calendar? I'd like to be able to attach fairly extensive notes (typed and/or handwritten) to calendar dates somehow. Ideally, it would have a website or platform that connects to Windows 7 as well, but that might be a long shot. Can anyone guide me through the magical world of note-taking and calendar apps?

I'm not sure but it sounds like One Note would be a better solution for you.

Alternatively, you could jury rig a solution by making Evernote notes and copying the share link into the notes of your calendar dates so when an event pops up you can read more about it within your note by clicking the link.

Evernote supports like date-based alerts as well. I'm not really sure what exactly you want to do with this combination of stuff.

I'm a pretty productive and organized person and I just use:

- Reminders for to-dos and recurring stuff like bills and chores
- Fantastical for appointments, events and due dates
- Evernote for notes, idea capture, personal documents and pretty much everything small
- google drive for projects and stuff I've created

Using this stuff productively is more about habits than anything. I know that I can check my calendar to see what each day looks like, if I feel like I'm forgetting stuff then I can rely on reminders, and I never have to worry about forgetting work because it's all in the cloud and searchable with drive and Evernote. This is only possible because it's my habit to compulsively track and save everything in that way so nothing falls through the cracks.

You'd be best served by developing better habits than any particular app.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Does Day One do videos now as well?

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
There should be google Keep on iOS, or something similar evernote that used google drive space. But currently using evernote.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Serious Sam posted:

There should be google Keep on iOS, or something similar evernote that used google drive space. But currently using evernote.

Do you really want to use Google Keep with their history of killing off products that don't make them money?

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

tuyop posted:

Helpful :words:

Thanks for the advice/thoughts. I've been in a mental slump recently due to depression, and I want to restructure my daily routine. The apps alone won't do it, but I need a place to jot things down since my memory has been exceptionally unreliable, all while my job and classes get busier.

Thanks to everyone else, as well! I'm going to look into each of them and see what fits best.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

the kawaiiest posted:

Yep, just use Calibre to remove the DRMs and convert to epub. That's what I did and it works fine.

Yeah that's well and good but how do I get the file from my phone?

The irony of this being the only files I pay for are causing me problems.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

broken pixel posted:

Thanks for the advice/thoughts. I've been in a mental slump recently due to depression, and I want to restructure my daily routine. The apps alone won't do it, but I need a place to jot things down since my memory has been exceptionally unreliable, all while my job and classes get busier.

Thanks to everyone else, as well! I'm going to look into each of them and see what fits best.

Good for you for getting your life in order.

I think organization and workflow habits are incredibly important. I've been maintaining a 3.8 GPA with seven courses this semester in my BEd while tutoring and sorting out some ongoing pension and health coverage poo poo with the military. It's madness and I usually have like 30 appointments a week but it's not stressful at all because it's so easily organized.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is anyone having trouble downloading/updating apps on their phone? I have an iPhone 5 on 7.0.4.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Josh Lyman posted:

Is anyone having trouble downloading/updating apps on their phone? I have an iPhone 5 on 7.0.4.

The only problem I'm getting is that I have to download apps, and then go back and update them. It'll say the app had a recent update and all this jazz, but the download will be the 2nd newest version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yeah that's well and good but how do I get the file from my phone?

The irony of this being the only files I pay for are causing me problems.

For kindle you install the desktop app and then dig the files out of whatever directory it hides them in.

• Locked thread