Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

I wanted to get Moto X-like notifications on my Nexus 5, so I found this app, DynamicNotifications: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.activenotifications

It actually works pretty well, and it's not a battery hog at all.

I started using this after seeing this post and it is in fact pretty cool.

Only problem I've come across is when I'm running the app, I also run dashclock as the widget on my lockscreen and it looks like it no longer refreshes when I'm using Dynamic Notifications. Even after I turn it off I have to reboot the phone before dashclock starts updating. Like it was telling me at noon that my 7pm doctors appointment was still 20 hours away. Anyone else run into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Just an FYI, a ton of Android features come out that regularly exclude Google Apps accounts. I don't keep track since I don't have one but I do know that it's a source of frustration for those users.

How would it exclude Apps users? Are you suggesting that if one's google account, with all its youtubes and pluses and gmailz, happens to be associated with apps, then you get blacklisted from using android-connected features? Or are you saying that if I employ the android interface for Gmail and connect it to a Google Apps inbox attached to my own domain, that I won't be able to use -mystery features- ?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

AOL decided to say, "gently caress everyone!", and will be shutting down WinAmp on December 20, 2013. I haven't found a clear answer to what's going to happen to the Android version, but if you use it, you might want to look into an alternative, so that if they do kill it, you can switch over.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

pistolshit posted:

I've been happy with Hello https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hellotext.hello

Tabbed conversations too. Otherwise, it's pretty barebones.

Edit: oh, and group chat works fine for me in hello. Which wasn't the case otherwise. I'm on 4.1.
Thanks, I had a look at 8SMS but prefer Hello out of the two of them. Not exactly what I want but close enough.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eikre posted:

How would it exclude Apps users? Are you suggesting that if one's google account, with all its youtubes and pluses and gmailz, happens to be associated with apps, then you get blacklisted from using android-connected features? Or are you saying that if I employ the android interface for Gmail and connect it to a Google Apps inbox attached to my own domain, that I won't be able to use -mystery features- ?
Like I said I don't keep up with it and hopefully someone can clarify but it's usually something like "Hey check out our new Music streaming service! Unless you're an Apps user!" or something along those lines. If the guy who posted says it isn't an issue then it probably isn't but it definitely used to seem where every new feature was launched with the caveat of not for Apps users.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Are there any music players that don't delay in going from the end of the track to the start of the next one? I have some albums that are 2 hour mixes cut into tracks, and the delay between tracks is annoying

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Poweramp can do that.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

LastInLine posted:

Like I said I don't keep up with it and hopefully someone can clarify but it's usually something like "Hey check out our new Music streaming service! Unless you're an Apps user!" or something along those lines. If the guy who posted says it isn't an issue then it probably isn't but it definitely used to seem where every new feature was launched with the caveat of not for Apps users.

You're partially right, it used to be that a new feature would be "Open to all users, Google Apps coming soon!". The last time I saw that was with G+, since then I've only seen it for Business users.

Crooz
Feb 22, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Probably not what you mean but Apps account admins have power to select which features Google accounts under them can use. Found this out when I got Now turned on for everyone using their school email as the account on their phones. (I know I was dumb to use an account I didn't own)

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

SeaWolf posted:

I started using this after seeing this post and it is in fact pretty cool.

Only problem I've come across is when I'm running the app, I also run dashclock as the widget on my lockscreen and it looks like it no longer refreshes when I'm using Dynamic Notifications. Even after I turn it off I have to reboot the phone before dashclock starts updating. Like it was telling me at noon that my 7pm doctors appointment was still 20 hours away. Anyone else run into this?

I removed DashClock from my lockscreen widgets and use DyanmicNotifications integrated with DashClock (I think this is a premium-only thing), also it's replaced my lock screen (which is another option). It works fantastically.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Drunk Badger posted:

Are there any music players that don't delay in going from the end of the track to the start of the next one? I have some albums that are 2 hour mixes cut into tracks, and the delay between tracks is annoying

Play Music supports gapless playback

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rusty! posted:

Play Music supports gapless playback
Wow, that is infuriatingly stupid because the desktop client doesn't.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Tunga posted:

Wow, that is infuriatingly stupid because the desktop client doesn't.

If by desktop client you mean the website? Gapless playback works by cutting things from the end of one file and the beginning of the following. I doubt you can do that well with html/JS.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

If by desktop client you mean the website? Gapless playback works by cutting things from the end of one file and the beginning of the following. I doubt you can do that well with html/JS.
No, I'm talking about albums where there is no gap on the two audio files. Play Music doesn't pre-buffer the next file so you always get an artificial gap between tracks.

ZombyWoof
Sep 7, 2012
I've always been partial to GoneMad Music Player. Has every feature under the sun, a great interface and regular updates.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

AOL decided to say, "gently caress everyone!", and will be shutting down WinAmp on December 20, 2013. I haven't found a clear answer to what's going to happen to the Android version, but if you use it, you might want to look into an alternative, so that if they do kill it, you can switch over.

How does this effect Shoutcast?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

How does this effect Shoutcast?

My understanding is that it's going away, too. It seems that AOL turned off all hosted streams about a week ago, and when you go to the Media Players section of WinAmp's website, it says this:

WinAmp posted:

Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release.
Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.

Also, it appears that Microsoft is in talks to buy Shoutcast and WinAmp from AOL.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I feel like an idiot - how do I access DashClock's settings? It doesn't show up in the app drawer, and when I set it up on a lockscreen, I disabled the settings button. Do I have to delete that one and start over?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

hooah posted:

I feel like an idiot - how do I access DashClock's settings? It doesn't show up in the app drawer, and when I set it up on a lockscreen, I disabled the settings button. Do I have to delete that one and start over?
Add it as a widget on any workspace.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Well hey, I'd be down with that.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Is there a chance now that Google Keyboard on kitkat has an emoji key that other keyboards could do the same?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
For Music apps check out Shuttle, I've been pretty happy with it and upgraded to Shuttle+

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Any reason why all words typed into sms messages in default sms app would be underlined as if they're noty spelled correctly?

Only happens in messaging app. Language is set correctly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have Android 4.4

When I pull down the top menu I can click the icon in the top right corner to give me access to things like airplane mode, toggle Bluetooth, adjust brightness etc.

I need to add a rotation lock button to that screen. Is this handled by an app or can I do this through the OS some how?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hadlock posted:

I have Android 4.4

When I pull down the top menu I can click the icon in the top right corner to give me access to things like airplane mode, toggle Bluetooth, adjust brightness etc.

I need to add a rotation lock button to that screen. Is this handled by an app or can I do this through the OS some how?

Unless something's changed, you'll need an app that adds toggles to the shade to add that; you can't do it with stock alone. Keep in mind that the toggles will go in the notification shade, not the Quick settings panel.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hadlock posted:

I have Android 4.4

Install CM (or some other rom you trust enough to put on your phone that allows this).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I have Android 4.4

Pay $2.99 for ultimate rotation control. Its nice to watch netflix in portrait. You have full control over everything.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Can anyone tell me under what circumstances will Better Battery Stats show information "since charged"? I only seem to be able to choose that start point very rarely, so I haven't figured out when it's available and when not.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I have Android 4.4

I've mentioned it before but if you're rooted get the Xposed framework and install GravityBox. It allows you to edit the quick settings panel along with a bunch of other stuff.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sereri posted:

Install CM (or some other rom you trust enough to put on your phone that allows this).

My favorite part of CM on my Nexus S was the ability to turn on 180 degree rotation so the screen was always right side up. It will be a couple of months before there's a CM release a stable CM release for my phone I think.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hadlock posted:

My favorite part of CM on my Nexus S was the ability to turn on 180 degree rotation so the screen was always right side up. It will be a couple of months before there's a CM release a stable CM release for my phone I think.
For a stable release I'd expect it more along the lines of six months though the nightlies tend to stabilize long before that.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Geektox posted:

Is there a chance now that Google Keyboard on kitkat has an emoji key that other keyboards could do the same?

That actually happened in 4.2 so I guess if others were going to do it, they would have by now.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
I've got a really annoying problem that any app with a share option now just automatically goes to email and puts in a link instead of giving me options. I didn't even know you could set defaults for that. I've checked Gmail app info and there's no defaults set.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I've been using ultimate rotation control and it pretty much does that.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

JoeMB posted:

I've got a really annoying problem that any app with a share option now just automatically goes to email and puts in a link instead of giving me options. I didn't even know you could set defaults for that. I've checked Gmail app info and there's no defaults set.

I had this same problem yesterday on 4.4 where the Share option in every app instantly stored a link in Pocket and there was no option to do anything else. I uninstalled/reinstalled Pocket because I couldn't find a different way to fix it. That put things back to normal but probably there's a better way?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If I switch to a new phone, does Google install my apps for me? Or do I need to use Titanium Backup still? When my fiance got her RAZR M, she freaked out because it downloaded a ton of apps and used all of her data. I'm not sure why it did this, or if that's normal. But my question is would I have to use Titanium Backup to get my apps to a new phone?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FogHelmut posted:

If I switch to a new phone, does Google install my apps for me? Or do I need to use Titanium Backup still? When my fiance got her RAZR M, she freaked out because it downloaded a ton of apps and used all of her data. I'm not sure why it did this, or if that's normal. But my question is would I have to use Titanium Backup to get my apps to a new phone?

During the setup process of a new phone, you can choose to have Google sync stuff to your phone and also if you want it to sync stuff from your phone. The to option will do what your wife experienced, and use a lot of data if you're not on wifi. Also, I've had a couple less than stellar experiences with letting Google restore apps to my phone - lots of settings don't come, sometimes you get stuff that was on your tablet, too (if you have one). I've just found TiBu to be more reliable and easier to use (and faster, too).

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Can anyone recommend a decent timer app that both looks nice on 4.4, is able to run several timers at the same time, and where I can also save some presets like "Washing machine 1 hour", "Dryer 1.5 hours", "Eggs 7 minutes" etc.?
It's used for cooking and practical things.

I'm using a really old timer now, that has that iPhone/brushed metal. It was OK back when I got it and it only ran on my Nexus S, but on a Nexus 5, it looks like rear end.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Fart of Presto posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent timer app that both looks nice on 4.4, is able to run several timers at the same time, and where I can also save some presets like "Washing machine 1 hour", "Dryer 1.5 hours", "Eggs 7 minutes" etc.?
It's used for cooking and practical things.

I'm using a really old timer now, that has that iPhone/brushed metal. It was OK back when I got it and it only ran on my Nexus S, but on a Nexus 5, it looks like rear end.

The default timer in Clock app could be pretty handy, it does do multiple timers but I don't know about saving presets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

JoeMB posted:

The default timer in Clock app could be pretty handy, it does do multiple timers but I don't know about saving presets.

It does save multiple presets and you can name it too. You just have to start it once and then it stays

• Locked thread