Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

baka kaba posted:

Doesn't the Play Music app do gapless? I noticed a while back that songs were transitioning cleanly without any glitching, if there's ever an issue it seems to be a one-off when I listen again. Haven't done any proper testing or anything though

It does because it prefetches a bunch of songs in your current album or playlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the last s0n
Aug 12, 2013

1st AD posted:

It tells the OS to clear deleted blocks of data to free them up for other use; without it the drive eventually fills up to capacity and performance suffers majorly.

That seems like a pretty simplistic idea, though perhaps harder in implementation. Has this really not been around in other phones?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The guy who explained it earlier in the thread actually got it a bit wrong. There's a better description here, and as you can see from the table on that page, it took quite a while for most desktop OSs to get support. It's a fairly complex thing to do properly, and isn't strictly necessary for operation.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

SB35 posted:

I know it's been mentioned before but with the N5 being so bright, what is the best f.lux like app to use? Any recommendations?

I use an app called Twilight: rather than just darkening the screen at sunset, it bathes the display in a gentle orange glow.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.lux

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Gianthogweed posted:

Since they're shutting down winamp, are there any other good free music players for a galaxy that supports gapless playback?

It's not like they're going to yank the Winamp APK off your device once it's shut down. You're just not going to get any more updates. Which IMO is fine. Winamp kicks the llama's rear end pretty well in current form.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Is this really a thing? Even though the correct build.prop is in the package that you are applying?
It is. Any stock system file that has a different hash from the expected value causes the update to abort. Any system file that you added is simply deleted.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

1st AD posted:

It does because it prefetches a bunch of songs in your current album or playlist.

Yeah but gapless means playing two tracks without any fraction of silence inbetween, which usually requires special functionality in the software to avoid the blank samples you get at the end of MP3 files and so on, and make the stream seamless. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're getting at

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

spincube posted:

I use an app called Twilight: rather than just darkening the screen at sunset, it bathes the display in a gentle orange glow.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.lux

F.lux changes the colour of your screen at sunset. I've been using it on the pc for a couple of years so I was happy to give them £2 for the app.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

XIII posted:

Yeah, it's not exactly out of the running, but just not a top choice. The software is what really draws me to the Maxx, while the stupidly large screen (and ridiculous amount of RAM, another reason I'm tired of my GNex) makes me want the N3. The G2 just sorta falls in the "meh" zone.

For what it is worth, I bought 2 Droid Maxxes at launch for $300 each, and I like the phone so much I am not even mad at how much they have dropped in price since I got them.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 22, 2013

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Cakefool posted:

F.lux changes the colour of your screen at sunset. I've been using it on the pc for a couple of years so I was happy to give them £2 for the app.

The original f.lux android app isn't out yet. Lux Autobrightness is developed by some other dude.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
There was talk earlier in the thread about KRT16O and KRT16S with regards to update. My Nexus 5 is only KRT16M, is the letter per device?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

The Merkinman posted:

There was talk earlier in the thread about KRT16O and KRT16S with regards to update. My Nexus 5 is only KRT16M, is the letter per device?

You're up to date. KRT16O & KRT16S are for other devices (N4, N7) that got OTA updates. See Nexus Factory Images

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
The letter at the end doesn't mean a lot really: http://source.android.com/source/build-numbers.html

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

baka kaba posted:

Doesn't the Play Music app do gapless? I noticed a while back that songs were transitioning cleanly without any glitching, if there's ever an issue it seems to be a one-off when I listen again. Haven't done any proper testing or anything though

play music app isn't gapless with the songs i've tested on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

First Moto G review is up. It appears to be a winner.

http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-g-review

They said the display was fantastic. The back shells are a little easy to mark up and the rear camera isn't all that amazing. However, it performs great, gets excellent battery life and has a really good 720p display, all for under $200.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 22, 2013

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

bull3964 posted:

First Moto G review is up. It appears to be a winner.

http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-g-review

They said the display was fantastic. The back shells are a little easy to mark up and the rear camera isn't all that amazing. However, it performs great, gets excellent battery life and has a really good 720p display, all for under $200.

No LTE? Thats a deal.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 22, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

No LTE? Thats a deal breaker.

At the price, nobody will care. It's a great deal and HSPA+ is plenty fast, IMO.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

r0ck0 posted:

Not in most of Europe.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

hotsauce posted:

At the price, nobody will care. It's a great deal and HSPA+ is plenty fast, IMO.
This is correct. There hasn't be a noticeable improvement for me moving from HSPA+ to LTE.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

r0ck0 posted:

It's not a proper flagship, it's meant to give first-time buyers and those in poorer nations a decent smartphone while entrenching Google's platform. Moto-G was designed to help them take over the world.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

It's not a high-end flagship phone meant for the normal high-end phone market. It's meant for the developing world and is low cost for a reason. It doesn't need LTE and no one this phone is meant for will give a poo poo.

e:fb

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Moving from HSPA+ to LTE has been a very big improvement on straight talk, but at Moto G's price i think the phrase 'beggars can't be choosers' comes into play.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

This is correct. There hasn't be a noticeable improvement for me moving from HSPA+ to LTE.

I got to play around with LTE for the first time the other day.

Speedtests were amazingly higher...but, as happens with many synthetic benchmarks, I didn't really notice much of a difference in normal browsing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I remember seeing someone post about a way to get $30 pre-paid T-Mobile cards for $27... Were they just blowing smoke, or is that actually a thing?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I just got a KitKat update notification for my Nexus 4 but I don't want the update due to some changes I read about and generally being happy with 4.2.x. How do I decline this thing? It's already updated, stuck itself permanently into the Notifications and I'm worried if I reboot my phone it will just auto-install itself. I just to stick with what I've got for awhile.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I think this is because T-Mobile's LTE isn't all that fast.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The Gunslinger posted:

I just got a KitKat update notification for my Nexus 4 but I don't want the update due to some changes I read about and generally being happy with 4.2.x.

Out of curiosity, what in particular?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mu Zeta posted:

I get around 30Mbps on either. There's a small drop in latency on LTE, but not enough to be noticeable.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

T-Mobile rolled out some super fast HSPA+ before going to LTE, so if you're in a spot with particularly good signal, it's not unreasonable to get ~20 Mbps on HSPA+ which isn't much slower than most real-life LTE speeds.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Mu Zeta posted:

Depends on your market - in the west side of LA I get about 12 on LTE or HSPA, in parts of suburban San Diego I get 8 on HSPA and 20 on LTE.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Thanatosian posted:

I remember seeing someone post about a way to get $30 pre-paid T-Mobile cards for $27... Were they just blowing smoke, or is that actually a thing?

Most likely smoke or something fishy going on. T-Mobile no longer gives discounts to resellers (or large enough discounts). I get mine from callingmart.com which gives like 1% in store credit plus my CC gives 1% back so that's a little savings. If your state doesn't charge sales tax on refill cards you can purchase from Target with a Red Card which is 5%.

The whole LTE thing I think comes from CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) topping out at like 3 megabits. So to get 3G on CDMA is terrible but for HSPA you are looking at more normal broadband speeds (10+ megabits). I can't wait for the Moto G to hit the U.S. it will give us a better option for a cheap Android phone besides buy a Lumia 520/521.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sereri posted:

Out of curiosity, what in particular?

I'm trying to do a bit of goaltending with how much personal info I put out there and I just read some stuff about deeper integration of things like Now and the home screen that I don't really care for. I'm sure KitKat has many cool changes but what I'm running now is fine and I'm just looking to avoid the update. Ironically googling how to do so is failing me :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

I just got a KitKat update notification for my Nexus 4 but I don't want the update due to some changes I read about and generally being happy with 4.2.x. How do I decline this thing? It's already updated, stuck itself permanently into the Notifications and I'm worried if I reboot my phone it will just auto-install itself. I just to stick with what I've got for awhile.
You can't without root and some serious fuckery. Well, that's not true, you can decline to install it but the phone bother you about it constantly. Since you said 4.2 instead of 4.3 I'm wondering what crazy edge case you've talked yourself into to convince yourself not to upgrade?

Edit: Saw what you wrote. Don't be silly; update.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm trying to do a bit of goaltending with how much personal info I put out there and I just read some stuff about deeper integration of things like Now and the home screen that I don't really care for. I'm sure KitKat has many cool changes but what I'm running now is fine and I'm just looking to avoid the update. Ironically googling how to do so is failing me :)

You can certainly disable Google Now on the home screen.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nimper posted:

You can certainly disable Google Now on the home screen.

And if you use Google Services, whether or not Google Now is turned on they still already have all that yummy personal data.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

You can also just use a different launcher (Nova, Apex, whatever) and completely bypass whatever issues you're imagining here.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

You can't without root and some serious fuckery. Well, that's not true, you can decline to install it but the phone bother you about it constantly. Since you said 4.2 instead of 4.3 I'm wondering what crazy edge case you've talked yourself into to convince yourself not to upgrade?

It's 4.3 actually, I just hadn't looked in awhile. I don't really see a method of declining it is the problem but thanks anyways, I'll do more research into what's in 4.4 and figure something out.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Gunslinger posted:

It's 4.3 actually, I just hadn't looked in awhile. I don't really see a method of declining it is the problem but thanks anyways, I'll do more research into what's in 4.4 and figure something out.

Please post your results here. I'm curious to see what you turn up.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

I left my N4 on 4.2 with the 4.3 update in the notification area for probably a month because I was too lazy to read up on what I needed to do (as I was stock with root at the time). You can leave that notification there for as long as you want, it won't auto-install unless you accidentally tap it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If you're using Google services, I don't think it really matters what Android version you're on :shrug: Whether you disable Now on your device or not, I don't think that'll be preventing Google from having much of your data. If you aren't using Google services, you aren't getting too much out of Android.

• Locked thread