Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

I'm torn, because it's perfect but Silva is still super cool.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Explain more. I haven't followed any of the XBone drama since they backtracked from everything they said at E3.

It's a weak piece of crap with voice controls that don't work about 50% of the time, a useless but mandatory Kinect camera that makes it cost $100 more than it's more powerful competitor, a confusing and awkward UI, stereo sound only, a massive Day One update required to remove all the DRM stuff, a controller that cost $100 million dollars to make worse than the 360's, makes the image quality of whatever cable box or other media equipment you plug into it worse, doesn't even act as a DVR, has lovely launch titles that cost $60 and yet have "micro"transactions, and can barely display games at 900p resolution without chugging framerate wise.

tldr: Half of it's features are broken and don't work or are missing, it is lovely and underpowered as a game console, and yet people (on SA even) are still getting it.

Farecoal has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Nov 22, 2013

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 646 days!)

This is a beautiful moment. There's only a finite amount of arrogance you can express before outside forces humble you.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Farecoal posted:

It's a weak piece of crap with voice controls that don't work about 50% of the time, a useless but mandatory Kinect camera that makes it cost $100 more than it's more powerful competitor, a confusing and awkward UI, stereo sound only, a massive Day One update required to remove all the DRM stuff, a controller that cost $100 million dollars to make worse than the 360's, makes the image quality of whatever cable box or other media equipment you plug into it worse, doesn't even act as a DVR, has lovely launch titles that cost $60 and yet have "micro"transactions, and can barely display games at 900p resolution without chugging framerate wise.

tldr: Half of it's features are broken and don't work or are missing, it is lovely and underpowered as a game console, and yet people (on SA even) are still getting it.

Beautiful. I'm no console warrior but gently caress Microsoft for the stupid poo poo they tried to pull with this thing. (No used games/mandatory Kinetic/mandatory internet connection, etc) I was worried after their backtracking that the thing might not be a disaster.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Beautiful. I'm no console warrior but gently caress Microsoft for the stupid poo poo they tried to pull with this thing. (No used games/mandatory Kinetic/mandatory internet connection, etc) I was worried after their backtracking that the thing might not be a disaster.

He also forgot to mention they paid off Polygon to the tune of 750,000 dollars and got a nice writeup and a 12-hour stream that ended with them saying you should get a PS4 and PS+.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
It's really hilarious to see the console that billed itself as The One Thing You Need For All Your Entertainment actually be worse at basically everything it does than the other console.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

I don't know who these two people are, but the look on the refs face just seals the deal.

Farecoal posted:

I was gonna say this is the nerdiest rage I've seen, but then I stepped into the Xbone thread on games and wow, the anger.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Leper Residue posted:

I was gonna say this is the nerdiest rage I've seen, but then I stepped into the Xbone thread on games and wow, the anger.

Oh believe I'm not angry, I was never going to get either console, this is beautiful :allears:

There's more too, like the fact that you can't see how much battery charge is left in your controller until an update in 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's not nerd rage to be pissed when a $500 piece of equipment doesn't work as intended.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I don't plan on getting any of the next gen consoles, but the sheer circus around the whole thing has forced me to pay attention to it. As far as I'm concerned, Sony won the messaging war the moment they released this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwYUGtI6guY

Not really a video that evokes schadenfreude, but rather one showing two people enjoying the everloving poo poo out of Microsoft's suffering.

For those who haven't followed this mess, this was released during E3 right after Microsoft revealed their original plans to lock down game licenses to prevent sharing/resale before retracting the whole scheme shortly afterward. Sony saw their chance to land an intense burn on Microsoft and executed it perfectly. My god the smug looks on their faces at the end. :allears:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I know, logically, that has to be her arm, but I can only interpret this as her body growing a third leg to help in this time of crisis. Her pseudopod is trying to flip her over.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

Leper Residue posted:

I don't know who these two people are, but the look on the refs face just seals the deal.

The person being punched is Anderson Silva, arguably one of the best fighting dudes ever. He was defending his title as middleweight champ, showing extreme contempt for his opponent by keeping his hands at his sides and dancing like an idiot and doing big keanu matrix leans to be like "haw you can't touch me" and the other dude did a combo that was one punch too many and turned his lights out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Is the always connected Kinect feature still required? Because I'm pretty sure if the console requires an active camera broadcasting it'll be banned from any military base (which are big purchasers of game consoles)

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

pentyne posted:

Is the always connected Kinect feature still required? Because I'm pretty sure if the console requires an active camera broadcasting it'll be banned from any military base (which are big purchasers of game consoles)

The Kinect is no longer required. If it's active, the microphone will always be listening, but the camera won't be on all the time.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Other highlights:

The always-on DRM might be gone from the console itself, but people are reporting the new NBA game doesn't work if you're not online.
The 'ultimate home media device' turns surround-sound for anything except itself into stereo.
It picks up voice commands from game/TV/voice-chat audio. Yes, if you say 'Xbox turn off, confirm' over chat in a game, you can turn off your opponent's console.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Leper Residue posted:

As Sexgun Rasputin already said, the guy getting punched is Anderson Silva, one of the best MMA fighters of all time. The guy punching him is Chris Weidman. Anderson Silva was defending his UFC Middleweight title, which he had held since 2006 and defended 11 times (while occasionally taking fights in a higher weight class as well). Silva is well-known for taunting his opponents by dropping his hands and asking them to hit him, only to dodge everything that's thrown at him.

Basically, watch from 2:50 onwards (and ignore the desynched audio)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa6vj9_aderson-silvads-vs-forrest-griffin_sport

He did this in pretty much all his fights.
Anyway, after Weidman clipped him with a jab Silva did a big cartoony show of being wobbly-legged and dazed. Weidman proceeded to punch him again and ended the longest winning streak in UFC history. Welp.

A lot of people were happy to see Silva get his comeuppance as his arrogance had rubbed people the wrong way even if he is a fantastic fighter. Others (like me) still like him because it's funny watching him clown on people.

edit: Seriously, watch the Weidman match. It is quite something.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11lgtz_ufc-162-anderson-silva-vs-chris-weidman-full-fight-video_sport

Beeswax has a new favorite as of 11:54 on Nov 22, 2013

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Farecoal posted:

If you'd followed the SimCity thread you wouldn't be surprised that people on SA still get things like this. THAT was some schadenfreude.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Inco posted:

The Kinect is no longer required. If it's active, the microphone will always be listening, but the camera won't be on all the time.

The Kinect can also see your dong.

I'm not a console warrior either, I've just always legitimately preferred the various Playstations ever since PS1, but goddamn this is funny to watch.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

The person being punched is Anderson Silva, arguably one of the best fighting dudes ever. He was defending his title as middleweight champ, showing extreme contempt for his opponent by keeping his hands at his sides and dancing like an idiot and doing big keanu matrix leans to be like "haw you can't touch me" and the other dude did a combo that was one punch too many and turned his lights out.

And it was glorious.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

It was glorious indeed. Dropping his guard and offering his chin in the first round to learn his opponent's reach and gently caress with their head before calmly taking them apart in the second round is like his superpower. Taunting that dude well into the second round was just rude, that fight was the biggest night of that guy's life and he was making a big joke of the whole thing. He racked disciprine.

The saddest thing was the look on that dude's face after he won. He was so disappointed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Farecoal posted:

Looks like I'm hanging on to my 360 for a while, then :)

Elfface posted:

It picks up voice commands from game/TV/voice-chat audio. Yes, if you say 'Xbox turn off, confirm' over chat in a game, you can turn off your opponent's console.

Oh wow, this is an absolutely glorious fuckup :allears:

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 14:27 on Nov 22, 2013

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Elfface posted:

The 'ultimate home media device' turns surround-sound for anything except itself into stereo.

Reminds me of the 30 Rock bit -

Tutuola: My friends at the DEA say these guys have a high volume of cocaine coming in from the docks
(TV volume goes way up)
Jack: Low volume! Low volume!
Munch: First I want to go home and delete everything that's on my DVR.
(TV starts erasing DVR)
Jack: Oh, come on!

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009
Noise/Industrial group Survival Unit flip the audience off and pay for it instantly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ooryf25rk0

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This MMA fight always made me laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCpTDHpOfVc
James Thompson vs. Alexandere Emelianenko

The guy with the shaved head (Thompson) is just so angry that he's shaking and has his best "I'm going to kill you" face, while Emelianenko just looks bored. Then (despite being knocked down) he ends the fight in 12 seconds.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Everybody do the Segway dance!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Beeswax posted:

As Sexgun Rasputin already said, the guy getting punched is Anderson Silva, one of the best MMA fighters of all time. The guy punching him is Chris Weidman. Anderson Silva was defending his UFC Middleweight title, which he had held since 2006 and defended 11 times (while occasionally taking fights in a higher weight class as well). Silva is well-known for taunting his opponents by dropping his hands and asking them to hit him, only to dodge everything that's thrown at him.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa6vj9_aderson-silvads-vs-forrest-griffin_sport

Anyway, after Weidman clipped him with a jab Silva did a big cartoony show of being wobbly-legged and dazed. Weidman proceeded to punch him again and ended the longest winning streak in UFC history. Welp.

A lot of people were happy to see Silva get his comeuppance as his arrogance had rubbed people the wrong way even if he is a fantastic fighter. Others (like me) still like him because it's funny watching him clown on people.

edit: Seriously, watch the Weidman match. It is quite something.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11lgtz_ufc-162-anderson-silva-vs-chris-weidman-full-fight-video_sport

That was one of the most boring fights I've ever seen. It was like watching my cats fight. Dance dance dance, jab, roll around on the floor a bit, freeze, roll some more, freeze, kick kick, stand back up.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

That was one of the most boring fights I've ever seen. It was like watching my cats fight. Dance dance dance, jab, roll around on the floor a bit, freeze, roll some more, freeze, kick kick, stand back up.

So pretty much all MMA fights.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LeJackal posted:

So pretty much all MMA fights.

MMA can be kind of like a sword fight in the sense that in most cases one mistake can end the fight instantly. Its not like boxing where your expected to take a certain amount of punishment every fight(unless youre Mayweather I guess). MMA fighters like to feel each other out and the first round is often fought pretty conservatively, especially in the high stakes fights at the top level of the sport. You don't usually see guys just standing toe to toe duking it out unless it is a low level/underground event, or the two fighters are just lovely and got matched up because Dana White(head of UFC) knows that they'll pound each others faces for our entertainment. Those kind of fighters rarely actually get anywhere in the sport as far as wins and championships go.

Flechet
Jul 5, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Yes, the thousands of tons of speeding steel remained perfectly safe.
This combined with your avatar made me laugh harder than most of the thread.

Also I never get sick of the scare prank that doesn't always go as planed. starts at 1:20

http://youtu.be/pBEZ5Vf0FOQ

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

MMA can be kind of like a sword fight in the sense that in most cases one mistake can end the fight instantly. Its not like boxing where your expected to take a certain amount of punishment every fight(unless youre Mayweather I guess). MMA fighters like to feel each other out and the first round is often fought pretty conservatively, especially in the high stakes fights at the top level of the sport. You don't usually see guys just standing toe to toe duking it out unless it is a low level/underground event, or the two fighters are just lovely and got matched up because Dana White(head of UFC) knows that they'll pound each others faces for our entertainment. Those kind of fighters rarely actually get anywhere in the sport as far as wins and championships go.

You tell that to Don Frye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqhKkyRvgjA

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

pentyne posted:

Because I'm pretty sure if the console requires an active camera broadcasting it'll be banned from any military base (which are big purchasers of game consoles)

This it totally not true. I'm sure it's banned from secret areas though because of it, but not the entire base.

MAAAAAAAAAAYBE in deployed locations but I doubt that as well.

edit: I just looked it up and maybe what your referencing was the always on internet connection keeping deployed members from brining it with them?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Forums, gaming, and personal schadenfreude.

Forums first. I'm sure some of our readers have heard about Reddit and Pedogeddon. When their jailbait subforums were aired on Anderson Cooper from a "Holy poo poo this exists I'm Anderson Cooper and I'm loving horrified" point of view. Many of us were disappointed at the outcome, overall. Reddit took over a year to genuinely shut down the CP trade going through their site. They shut down the primary subforums complained about, but Reddit can just pop up new ones and did. The guy (Violentacrez) who was basically the ringleader seemed like he was just going to go about his merry life stealing pictures off of facebook and posting them into a creepy subreddit.

The last I heard until the new GBS 2.1 Reddit.jpg thread, that's where it ended. Reddit finally self policed, dude got away scott free, life went on, and the pedos probably just took that poo poo to PMs and IRC or something.

And then I got to watch the following video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6plIjdaVGA

That is some weapons grade loving schadenfreude there :allears:

Next, gaming schadenfreude. Hopefully this story reaches some new ears, because it's my favorite. For those that don't know, EVE online is an MMO that is "being a psychopathic rear end in a top hat in a world with no consequences the game" basically. You buy ships and stuff for those ships, and then people blow your ships up and you lost most or all of the poo poo you were just flying and go buy new ships and poo poo. They let you buy in game currency with time cards or spend currency on those cards to extend your playtime without paying, lets people buy EVEgold(isk). So any ship has a dollar amount based on how much it's worth and how many cards you could buy for that value. The big ships are worth literally thousands of real world dollars, but take a shitload of people to destroy and enough time that usually the big ship owner has time to try to summon help and get himself out of the situation.

And then comes this story. Plex (time cards) are actual items in game until you use them, which is what lets you list them on markets. You can give them to a character, you can sell them to people, you can use them.

And you can put them in the cargo hold of a ship and transport them.

Cue some idiot flying around in one of the weaker small ships with a cargo hold of destructible money. When you blow up a ship, everything is either blown up or dropped into a salvageable wreck, cargo hold stuff included. What survives is pretty random, but there is a chance that blowing up a ship with good poo poo means you might get to take some of that good poo poo for yourself.

Well, that didn't happen this time. Two dudes encountered a ship which they scanned (because you can do that) to see 74 plex in the cargo hold. That's a little over 1200 dollars in real life dollars. So they blew it up, hoping for spoils of war. They got none, all 74 plex were destroyed when the ship was. And because the rules specifically allow this kind of thing, that's 1200 dollars that CCP (the owner of EVE online) received from a customer that just vanished into a black hole afterwards, basically. Gone and unrecoverable. And the two instigators, though they did not get money for what they did, became somewhat e-famous for having blown up 1200 dollars of someone else's money in a manner which was both legal and acceptable to the rules of the game. Further, unlike a Titan kill, this was some tiny cruiser that probably died in less than four salvos. Probably less than a minute from when he got scanned to when he died, with zero chance of doing a single drat thing to stop it or save himself and his cargo.

And the absolute best part? There is never, ever a reason to load a plex into a ship, really. Plex are given to an account, which can then be given directly to a character wherever that character is. You can fly your character in the cheapest shittiest newbie ship that you get for free for dying, and then once you arrive at your destination you can give that character all of the plex you want and move it directly to the station, never exposing any of it to the guns of other players. This is the preferred way to get plex to a major market hub.

Many tears of laughter were shed the day this story broke.

And personal. I'm in school right now getting a basic electrical/electrician certification for work, and electricity and stupid people mix constantly. My favorite event so far has been learning about capacitors. Little doohickeys that store electrical energy and then release it all at once to give a motor a large current boost when it starts up. Reduces wear on the motor by letting it start up faster, basically.

These things can be like batteries, in a way. Once charged they can store the current for a decent amount of time, even if taken out of the electrical circuit they're attached to. And they can be dangerous. A large fully charged capacitor can store enough voltage and amps to kill you, and we got very specific instructions on how to make sure that we depleted any charge before handling them. Most of the people in my class are late 20s or older, and we take the class seriously. But we've got a few very early 20s, including the 20 year old dumbass who is the subject of this story.

Basically, dude still has his "I'm an invincible teenager" perspective and has gotten the most bites from things since the class started. Well, when we first started capacitors and got the warnings, we then were handed a bunch to play with and voltage test and attach to circuits so we could get a feel for them and how they fit into systems. We got the smallest ones you can find, capacitors for very small electric motors. Can't store enough amps to kill you, basically.

So, knowing this, dumbass decided to prove how much of a man he was by licking the contact points like you'd lick the end of a battery.

Now, these things didn't store much in the way of amps, but they could store somewhere over 600 volts. Wall outlets are a little over 200 volts, and power lines are tens of thousands, to give you an idea. In laymans terms, pretend it's a pneumatic system and amps are the volume of water and volts are the pressure the water is under. High pressure low volume, you get a super soaker. Low pressure high volume, you get a garden hose. High on both is a riot truck with a water turret.

Or back in electrical terms, high voltage low amperage is a taser.

He got drat lucky in only getting 1st degree electrical burns on his tongue. He got less lucky in that the voltage was running through his goddamn head and must have scrambled his brains a little or something, because he dropped like a rock and smacked his head on the floor and was dazed for a few seconds. Even less lucky, his stupidity got him immediately ejected from the program (to the relief of everyone else present)

The best part about this particular story was he told everyone he was going to do this. The teacher just watched him. He'd given fair warnings and have given us parts we couldn't really hurt ourselves badly with, and so he sat there and watched his student minorly taser himself and then busted a gut laughing about it so hard that it took him 10 minutes to calm down and tell the guy he was kicked out of the program, while the guy sheepishly nursed his burnt tongue and collected his things to go stop by the local emergency room.

He's fine by the way. He came back to try to talk his way back into the program yesterday. The burns and a lump on his head from the fall were the only injuries sustained.

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Nov 22, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Forums first. I'm sure some of our readers have heard about Reddit and Pedogeddon. When their jailbait subforums were aired on Anderson Cooper from a "Holy poo poo this exists I'm Anderson Cooper and I'm loving horrified" point of view. Many of us were disappointed at the outcome, overall. Reddit took over a year to genuinely shut down the CP trade going through their site. They shut down the primary subforums complained about, but Reddit can just pop up new ones and did. The guy (Violentacrez) who was basically the ringleader seemed like he was just going to go about his merry life stealing pictures off of facebook and posting them into a creepy subreddit.

The last I heard until the new GBS 2.1 Reddit.jpg thread, that's where it ended. Reddit finally self policed, dude got away scott free, life went on, and the pedos probably just took that poo poo to PMs and IRC or something.

That is some weapons grade loving schadenfreude there :allears:

The comments in that video going ":qq: Won't someone think of poor ViolentAcrez and you assholes at Gawker ruining his life?!?!? :pedophiles:" just make it all even better.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I'd never tell that to Don Frye, what am I an idiot? He's kind of a good example of my point though. Don Frye was a world class wrestler who also happened to have pretty powerful punches. Back in the infancy of UFC that was enough to become champion, but not today. Today Don Frye would have to me much more technically skilled in a lot of areas to be at all competitive.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

TheSpiritFox posted:

I love when they first cut to the reddit guy and he's licking his lips in the creepiest way possible

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

TheSpiritFox posted:

Next, gaming schadenfreude. Hopefully this story reaches some new ears, because it's my favorite. For those that don't know, EVE online is an MMO that is "being a psychopathic rear end in a top hat in a world with no consequences the game" basically. You buy ships and stuff for those ships, and then people blow your ships up and you lost most or all of the poo poo you were just flying and go buy new ships and poo poo. They let you buy in game currency with time cards or spend currency on those cards to extend your playtime without paying, lets people buy EVEgold(isk). So any ship has a dollar amount based on how much it's worth and how many cards you could buy for that value. The big ships are worth literally thousands of real world dollars, but take a shitload of people to destroy and enough time that usually the big ship owner has time to try to summon help and get himself out of the situation.

And then comes this story. Plex (time cards) are actual items in game until you use them, which is what lets you list them on markets. You can give them to a character, you can sell them to people, you can use them.

And you can put them in the cargo hold of a ship and transport them.

Cue some idiot flying around in one of the weaker small ships with a cargo hold of destructible money. When you blow up a ship, everything is either blown up or dropped into a salvageable wreck, cargo hold stuff included. What survives is pretty random, but there is a chance that blowing up a ship with good poo poo means you might get to take some of that good poo poo for yourself.

Well, that didn't happen this time. Two dudes encountered a ship which they scanned (because you can do that) to see 74 plex in the cargo hold. That's a little over 1200 dollars in real life dollars. So they blew it up, hoping for spoils of war. They got none, all 74 plex were destroyed when the ship was. And because the rules specifically allow this kind of thing, that's 1200 dollars that CCP (the owner of EVE online) had spent on their game that just vanished into a black hole, basically. Gone and unrecoverable. And the two instigators, though they did not get money for what they did, became somewhat e-famous for having blown up 1200 dollars of someone else's money in a manner which was both legal and acceptable to the rules of the game. Further, unlike a Titan kill, this was some tiny cruiser that probably died in less than four salvos. Probably less than a minute from when he got scanned to when he died, with zero chance of doing a single drat thing to stop it or save himself and his cargo.

And the absolute best part? There is never, ever a reason to load a plex into a ship, really. Plex are given to an account, which can then be given directly to a character wherever that character is. You can fly your character in the cheapest shittiest newbie ship that you get for free for dying, and then once you arrive at your destination you can give that character all of the plex you want and move it directly to the station, never exposing any of it to the guns of other players. This is the preferred way to get plex to a major market hub.
And this is why EVE is the only MMO that's interesting at all - still has all of the other problems of an MMO, mind. Just playing it for a few hours you could easily find some dumb fucker flying around unescorted in his mining ship that he spent three months grinding towards. Blow it up, and he would be back to square one and usually having a glorious meltdown in system-wide chat.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Beeswax posted:

The best thing to come from this is Forrest Griffin's comments on it a year later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1R50LpFh_M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Well, that didn't happen this time. Two dudes encountered a ship which they scanned (because you can do that) to see 74 plex in the cargo hold. That's a little over 1200 dollars in real life dollars. So they blew it up, hoping for spoils of war. They got none, all 74 plex were destroyed when the ship was. And because the rules specifically allow this kind of thing, that's 1200 dollars that CCP (the owner of EVE online) had spent on their game that just vanished into a black hole, basically. Gone and unrecoverable. And the two instigators, though they did not get money for what they did, became somewhat e-famous for having blown up 1200 dollars of someone else's money in a manner which was both legal and acceptable to the rules of the game. Further, unlike a Titan kill, this was some tiny cruiser that probably died in less than four salvos. Probably less than a minute from when he got scanned to when he died, with zero chance of doing a single drat thing to stop it or save himself and his cargo.

I understand everything else about this story, but how was it that the MMO's owners lost money? I mean, as I understand it the plexes are 'game time in a can' that let you trade money for X weeks of subscription. Doesn't that mean that CCP had already been paid for those plexes?

• Locked thread