Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I'm attending a potluck tomorrow evening, and haven't yet figured out what I want to make. I need something that'll travel well and be good at room temperature or cold (it'll be an hour long car ride there and there'll be no way to reheat it). There will be vegetarian and gluten-free guests, making something everyone can have isn't required but would be nice. My current thought is hummus but I only have a tiny food processor that would make it annoying to create a big batch, so I'm looking for other ideas that might strike my fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Meh, I'm sure they save his rear end in the editing room as needed, but I do think you can tell the difference... if you have a good nose. Fresh made dough has subtle odors of the yeast at work.

Fresh dough also has different lift than frozen because the yeast is still active. Sometimes he's referring to frozen parbaked crust, and that's even easier to spot. Perfectly round, symmetrical pizzas, with perfectly formed crust edges, and perforations on the bottom made by the factory machinery.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Nibble posted:

I'm attending a potluck tomorrow evening, and haven't yet figured out what I want to make. I need something that'll travel well and be good at room temperature or cold (it'll be an hour long car ride there and there'll be no way to reheat it). There will be vegetarian and gluten-free guests, making something everyone can have isn't required but would be nice. My current thought is hummus but I only have a tiny food processor that would make it annoying to create a big batch, so I'm looking for other ideas that might strike my fancy.

I was gonna say hummus, as I'm currently testing it for exactly the occasion you described.
I ate it by myself yesterday...and posted it in the what did you eat last night thread:

My hummus was made in a small processor as well, and that fitted a small can of chickpeas fairly well. The batch was twice the size from the stuff in the pic, not sure how much you need?...and hey, you do not need to clean in between and it is pretty much no work to make.
If you still think it's too much of a hassle, make some dips beside the hummus.
Otherwise, bring brownies!

edit to add: gluten free brownies...

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Fresh dough also has different lift than frozen because the yeast is still active. Sometimes he's referring to frozen parbaked crust, and that's even easier to spot. Perfectly round, symmetrical pizzas, with perfectly formed crust edges, and perforations on the bottom made by the factory machinery.

Sure, a factory pressed shape is a dead give away... My buddy with the pizza shop buys his dough frozen in balls, and then rolls out the pizzas.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nibble posted:

Make a vegetarian quiche. Delicious, transports well, good hot or cold or room temp, and you can even spring for a gluten-free premade crust if you don't mind the non-gluten-free people being slightly sad when they eat it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

paraquat posted:

Otherwise, bring brownies!

edit to add: gluten free brownies...

I hadn't even thought of dessert for some reason. I've never tried gluten-free baking though so I don't know if I should attempt it now (also probably don't want to buy a pound of gluten free flour or whatever and have no use for it after tomorrow).

Do you have a recipe you follow for your hummus? I've made it before and I realize it's basically "put chickpeas and whatever flavorings you want together; process" but it's nice to have a jumping off point.

The Midniter posted:

Make a vegetarian quiche. Delicious, transports well, good hot or cold or room temp, and you can even spring for a gluten-free premade crust if you don't mind the non-gluten-free people being slightly sad when they eat it.

I could make this vegetarian frittata that I've made once before, it uses sliced sweet potato as the "crust" so it'd be gluten free as well. Would quiche/frittata be good without reheating though? I'm not sure I've had cold egg before but it doesn't sound like an appealing texture.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Suggestions for a Thanksgiving Dinner that can survive a 4 hour hike up a mountain and then be consumed with just a warming on a camping stove?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Nibble posted:

I hadn't even thought of dessert for some reason. I've never tried gluten-free baking though so I don't know if I should attempt it now (also probably don't want to buy a pound of gluten free flour or whatever and have no use for it after tomorrow).

Do you have a recipe you follow for your hummus? I've made it before and I realize it's basically "put chickpeas and whatever flavorings you want together; process" but it's nice to have a jumping off point.

yeah, for a small can of chickpeas (150 gram), I additionally dump into my tiny foodprocessor:
- half a spanish pepper
- half a clove of garlic
- a tablespoon of tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of lemonjuice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- a couple of tablespoons of water to get it to the right consistancy
- salt and black pepper to taste

That's my basic hummus recipe, but in the picture (and what I always make since I discovered it) is a curried hummus,
for that I add:
- 1/5 teaspoon of djinten (cumin powder)
- 1/5 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric

edit to add that I like your alternative.
And to tell you that I eat quiches cold rather than warm....so that might work out for frittata as well?

paraquat fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 21, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nibble posted:

I could make this vegetarian frittata that I've made once before, it uses sliced sweet potato as the "crust" so it'd be gluten free as well. Would quiche/frittata be good without reheating though? I'm not sure I've had cold egg before but it doesn't sound like an appealing texture.

Yep. Quiche from the oven is best, if it cools to room temperature it's still delicious, and even cold quiche from the refrigerator rocks. If you cook it just before you leave, cover it tightly with aluminum foil, and it should still be warm by the time people dig into it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks for the tips on spice jars, guys. I think mason jars are the way to go for the time being. :) Gonna go pick some up this weekend!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I want to make some marinated sheep cheese tomorrow. I plan on using raw garlic and onions, crushed peppercorns and fresh thyme and rosemary twigs. And olive oil, of course. Some recipes suggest first heating up the oil and then letting the thyme and rosemary infuse for a bit. Do you think this is just done to speed everything up or will it change the flavor?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Suggestions for a Thanksgiving Dinner that can survive a 4 hour hike up a mountain and then be consumed with just a warming on a camping stove?

Turkey pastrami. Al dente modernist Mac and cheese. Crispy stuffing pancakes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think I'm going to try al dente modernist cuisine mac n cheese at a thanksgiving potluck next week. an hour of warming in a crockpot shouldn't turn it into mush, right?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Xovaan posted:

Thanks for the tips on spice jars, guys. I think mason jars are the way to go for the time being. :) Gonna go pick some up this weekend!

I asked my wife to make something similar to this kind of setup for my xmas gift:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/95952022/medium-stainless-steel-metal-wall-plate

you can buy the little containers much cheaper from here vs etsy:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/hexagonglassjar15oz45mlwgoldlid.aspx

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I think I'm going to try al dente modernist cuisine mac n cheese at a thanksgiving potluck next week. an hour of warming in a crockpot shouldn't turn it into mush, right?

I did it last night for a potluck and it was fine. Made a crumb topping out of pulverized pork rinds, crispy bacon, parmesan cheese, and parsley, too. It was awesome.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jerome Louis posted:

Could I make pumpkin pie using a 9" springform pan instead of using a regular pie pan? I was thinking of just doubling the recipe and filling that badboy up -- but the middle would probably come out uncooked, right?

It'll be fine. I would just lower the oven temperature a bit and use a probe thermometer to make sure you're hitting the correct temp in the center. It's just a custard, but because I dont know what recipe you're using, I can't say for sure what temperature that is for you.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Xovaan posted:

I use plastic deli containers bought from restaurant supply stores. Something like 8 bux for 50 of them. Works well, can write directly on them with sharpie, and can just toss if they get gross.

edit: these things http://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/plastic-deli-containers.html

I keep my spices in a cabinet, so the light thing isnt a problem.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I use plastic deli containers bought from restaurant supply stores. Something like 8 bux for 50 of them. Works well, can write directly on them with sharpie, and can just toss if they get gross.

edit: these things http://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/plastic-deli-containers.html

I keep my spices in a cabinet, so the light thing isnt a problem.

I use old vegemite jars. This is because I eat vegemite every morning and thus have a surplus of these jars. They're also perfect for storing spices.

I also keep my spices in a cabinet, so the light thing isn't a problem.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I've been told that the sweet potato casserole does indeed have to be sweet and preferably topped with marshmallows. So I inquired about the squash casserole, and it sounds delicious! It's finely sliced yellow squash with loads of cheese. I shall be doing that.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

I've been told that the sweet potato casserole does indeed have to be sweet and preferably topped with marshmallows. So I inquired about the squash casserole, and it sounds delicious! It's finely sliced yellow squash with loads of cheese. I shall be doing that.

Don't be hating on the marshmallow sweet potato casserole. It's delicious! also that sounds almost like a gratin but with squash.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Marshmallow sweet potatoes are loving gross what is wrong with you people. Sweet potatoes in general are too sweet and pretty gross although dino.'s recipe and the oven roasted one sound interesting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Drink and Fight posted:

Marshmallow sweet potatoes are loving gross what is wrong with you people. Sweet potatoes in general are too sweet and pretty gross although dino.'s recipe and the oven roasted one sound interesting.

Nah man they are pretty good. I only eat them on holidays, but still.

Edit: I eat sweet potatoes almost every week otherwise, but just as a starch.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

+1 on them being gross. sorry. :barf:

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Drink and Fight posted:

Slow roasted and in a curry is good as well. I'll often make chickpea/sweet potato/misc. curries since I can cook large portions and it's actually almost better as leftovers than fresh.

Also yeah, while I've never had (nor had an opportunity to try) marshmallow sweet potato casserole it sounds like a peculiar Midwestern sort of hell. The green bean casserole with cream of mushroom soup sounds similarly disgusting.

e: following an unpleasant experience with a lovely single-serving thing of marmalade earlier today, I want to know what I should look for if I want the best (within reason) marmalade.

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 22, 2013

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Drink and Fight posted:

As an extra-american, I have to say that this is the correct American regarding Thanksgiving.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I've lived in California all my life, but my grandfather's family were literally Okies and apparently I still have some distant family back there. They must have kept in touch though because we for sure have all the midwestern classics at holiday time. Not just sweet potato with marshmallow, but potato casserole with cornflakes on top. Yep.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I wanna try this lecithin gravy business, but having trouble finding liquid lecithin. Is granulated lecithin easy to use instead?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I've LIVED in Oklahoma and don't have those kinds of sweet potatoes, and have never even seen that kind of potato casserole.

We do tend to have lovely green bean casserole every year though. At this point I even like it. Mom always made pea salad, which should absolutely be abhorrent to me (Miracle whip? canned peas? american cheese??) but I love it anyway.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

Marshmallow sweet potatoes are loving gross what is wrong with you people.

Yeah, this is still the correct opinion.

Comic posted:

I've LIVED in Oklahoma and don't have those kinds of sweet potatoes, and have never even seen that kind of potato casserole.

Tthis was my previous point. While it's tempting to blame the marshmallow sweet potato abomination on the Mid West, I know families in the New England that make it, too.

Comic posted:

(Miracle whip? canned peas? american cheese??)

God drat, I want to vomit after reading that. Don't need to, WANT to. :barf:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've had the sweet potato casserole in the south frequently as well. I eat sweet potatoes a lot in curry or just mashed with a little butter, cinnamon and either walnuts or pecans tossed in.

I just like the casserole because if you do it right you get this good crispy marshmallow layer thats all gooey and sweet inside on top of the potato custard and it's sometimes pretty good just as a sweet dessert. I can totally get why people wouldn't like it, but I hope its not just because of pretentiousness.

\/\/\/ It's really sweet, probably too much so for a lot of people.

That Works fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 22, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've never had it but sweet potato pie is the best thing ever so I don't see why it's so horrifying.

If you've never had sweet potato pie you need to try it. It's basically pumpkin pie but better.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I just had that exact same argument with my girlfriend: sweet potato pie is both DESSERT, and PIE. It's allowed to be sweet! Although most sweet potato/pumpkin pies are actually less sweet then the marshmallow casserole.

Breaky posted:

I just like the casserole because if you do it right you get this good crispy marshmallow layer thats all gooey and sweet inside on top of the potato custard and it's sometimes pretty good just as a sweet dessert.

I just found out (to my horror), that the girlfriend is in this camp as well. Her grandmother (Colorado) always made both this and the green beans/soup casserole, and she loves them both because they remind her of her grandma.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

I wanna try this lecithin gravy business, but having trouble finding liquid lecithin. Is granulated lecithin easy to use instead?

Going off of hazy memory of reading Cooking Issues and Modernist Cuisine I don't think you can substitute one for the other.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://eater.com/archives/2013/11/22/dave-arnold-booker-and-dax-searzall.php

Anyone seen this? It's an attachment that you stick on your blowtorch that turns it into a handheld broiler. Kickstarter launches on the 29th.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 22, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Speaking of sweet potatoes, the dish I'm gonna make with my girlfriend for Thanksgiving is a maple bacon sweet potato medley over black rice because I'm a sucker for sweet things and also black rice looks super cool

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

http://eater.com/archives/2013/11/22/dave-arnold-booker-and-dax-searzall.php

Anyone seen this? It's an attachment that you stick on your blowtorch that turns it into a handheld broiler. Kickstarter launches on the 29th.

Awesome, I saw this a while ago on some blog and it looked like it had stalled out.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What can an inexperienced cook make that will last for a while? You know, something I can make once and keep over the course of a day or two.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Elderbean posted:

What can an inexperienced cook make that will last for a while? You know, something I can make once and keep over the course of a day or two.

almost any stew or braise. soups.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Are there any really good kitchen-oriented Black Friday deals that tend to repeat yearly?

Also I think I'm ready to graduate from using steak knives for food prep. Is this the oft-recommended-in-this-thread cheap-but-nice chef's knife? It looks about right but I thought it was closer to $25 than $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

the littlest prince posted:

Are there any really good kitchen-oriented Black Friday deals that tend to repeat yearly?

Also I think I'm ready to graduate from using steak knives for food prep. Is this the oft-recommended-in-this-thread cheap-but-nice chef's knife? It looks about right but I thought it was closer to $25 than $30.

The forschner/victorinox is a fantastic knife for pretty much anyone. get it.