Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

If you're using Google services, I don't think it really matters what Android version you're on :shrug: Whether you disable Now on your device or not, I don't think that'll be preventing Google from having much of your data. If you aren't using Google services, you aren't getting too much out of Android.

Yeah, sure there are huge Google Now changes in 4.4, but Play Services is still there and still active in 4.3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

If you're using Google services, I don't think it really matters what Android version you're on :shrug: Whether you disable Now on your device or not, I don't think that'll be preventing Google from having much of your data. If you aren't using Google services, you aren't getting too much out of Android.
This is exactly right. If you're on Froyo or above then Google knows everything already, the only difference stuff like Now and Location Services offer is whether or not Google having that knowledge is actually allowed to benefit you, the user.

As everyone is saying here, you can't really have a smartphone and not be completely datamined. Apple is somewhat better about this than Google but in reality you can't escape it and have one.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lester Shy posted:

Last week my phone (2010 Evo 4G) got wet and I tried the rice in a bag trick. Since then I've had an "SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem" error. I've tried formatting the card and using some compressed air to no avail.

If I'm lacking both another phone and another SD card to test with, is there an easy way to tell if the problem is with the phone's SD port or the card itself? Obviously, I'd rather pick up another SD card than replace the whole phone, but I don't want to waste money on a card if that's not going to solve the problem.

Still looking for any advice on this.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Lester Shy posted:

Still looking for any advice on this.
Find a friend with a phone that can use SD cards or an SD card reader. Can you live without an SD card?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

RVProfootballer posted:

I've also had pretty negative experiences with performance in past Nexus devices and certain updates so I tend to be cautious about upgrading. I also just like to know more about whats in each update in general from a curiosity standpoint before I do it since rolling back can be a pain.

quote:

I left my N4 on 4.2 with the 4.3 update in the notification area for probably a month because I was too lazy to read up on what I needed to do (as I was stock with root at the time). You can leave that notification there for as long as you want, it won't auto-install unless you accidentally tap it.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Gunslinger posted:

I've also had pretty negative experiences with performance in past Nexus devices and certain updates so I tend to be cautious about upgrading. I also just like to know more about whats in each update in general from a curiosity standpoint before I do it since rolling back can be a pain.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Rolling back on a Nexus device is remarked easy

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Download the older image of the device and flash with adb.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

LastInLine posted:

Icons are now white without connectivity or traffic indicators (both are located in the Quick Settings Panel), the Settings now includes a launcher selector, tap to pay, and printer options, location access now has a historical view to see what apps have been requesting location, the playback lockscreen widget has been replaced to be full screen and use high resolution artwork, lockscreen widgets are now disabled by default, new APIs exist for transparent navigation and status bars (for developer use), legacy fullscreen apps which hid the notification bar now can have the bar temporarily visible with a swipe down from the top (another brings down the notification shade), SELinux now defaults to Enforcing rather than Permissive, and the old WebView has been replaced with the Chromium engine (I don't know if it's Blink in the version included or not).

That's just off the top of my head, I might be missing some.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Rolling back on a Nexus device is remarked easy

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Download the older image of the device and flash with adb.
It's easy but the phone will prompt you to update immediately and the notification will be persistent and annoying. I've disabled updates and their notifications on a Nexus and it's not easy. You can easily break the update itself but the notification keeps returning. In The Gunslinger's case though he's just being apprehensive without justification. The update will go fine and unless there's some crazy weird thing he's doing the only difference will be better battery life and a white statusbar.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Please post your results here. I'm curious to see what you turn up.

I, too, would like to see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
Anyone have a link handy for that att deal with 3 qi chargers for $35 or something? Is it in store only? Can't seem to find it looking around.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dradien posted:

Anyone have a link handy for that att deal with 3 qi chargers for $35 or something? Is it in store only? Can't seem to find it looking around.

Just add 3 of the Nokia Qi chargers to your cart. They show up as $24.50 each online, and once you have 3, the deal applies automatically and it comes back as $55.14 in total.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
FWIW, microsd cards themselves are supposed to be waterproof. That doesn't mean that a short caused by water in the phone couldn't have killed it though.

LTE vs. HSPA: HSPA sucks rear end on ATT in most of the Tulsa area. I'd be lucky to consistently get 1mbit. It will do 5 at my house or at work on a weekend but weekdays at work I'd get like 256kbit or lower. I've had an LTE phone since March and get 15+ anywhere.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Dradien posted:

You can also get the Tylt from T-Mobile for $50 with coupon ACCOFFER18. My wife wanted one and it's shipping to us now so a couple of my Nokia Qi chargers are going back to AT&T.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'm not completely mistaken about this right? There is no Qi-standard wireless charging pad and phone combination that can charge faster than about 640mA, right?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

api call girl posted:

I'm not completely mistaken about this right? There is no Qi-standard wireless charging pad and phone combination that can charge faster than about 640mA, right?

This isnt supposed to sound snarky, but when you plug in a phone to a USB port on a computer it charges at 550ma, is that right? I'm just wondering if this wireless charging is worth it to replace my charging setup where I use my computer. Can it charge more than one device at a time or does that depend on the wireless charger?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

r0ck0 posted:

This isnt supposed to sound snarky, but when you plug in a phone to a USB port on a computer it charges at 550ma, is that right? I'm just wondering if this wireless charging is worth it to replace my charging setup where I use my computer. Can it charge more than one device at a time or does that depend on the wireless charger?

Most are one at a time unless you buy a bigger pad. Like the Nokia is smaller than your phone. Honestly it comes down to convenience. It's nice being able to pick up my phone without a cord hanging off it and to set it back down to start charging again. It also saves wear and tear on the USB port which mine seem to go in 12-18 months consistently.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Anyone with a N4 having Bluetooth issues with 4.4? I can't connect to my speaker or headset any more.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Slimchandi posted:

Anyone with a N4 having Bluetooth issues with 4.4? I can't connect to my speaker or headset any more.

Bluetooth is all kinds of hosed up (again) on the N5. Most people are attributing it to the "improvements" that they tried making, which ended up backfiring in a large number of cases.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

It's easy but the phone will prompt you to update immediately and the notification will be persistent and annoying. I've disabled updates and their notifications on a Nexus and it's not easy. You can easily break the update itself but the notification keeps returning. In The Gunslinger's case though he's just being apprehensive without justification. The update will go fine and unless there's some crazy weird thing he's doing the only difference will be better battery life and a white statusbar.

The whole reason I even brought it up was because I couldn't find a way to decline OTA updates in the interface which just seemed odd. I did some research and decided you were right so I went ahead and updated.

quote:

Can it charge more than one device at a time or does that depend on the wireless charger?

It's one at a time unless you get a dual charging pad. I have an Energizer one that does both mine and my girlfriends phone pretty quickly. It seems like the worlds silliest convenience thing but it's great being able to just drop it on the pad and not worry about plugging it in.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Grim Up North posted:

The original f.lux android app isn't out yet. Lux Autobrightness is developed by some other dude.

:doh:

Ah well, whatever it is, it works.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I get around 30Mbps on either. There's a small drop in latency on LTE, but not enough to be noticeable.

At least for me there was a huge noticeable difference going from 3G to LTE. It feels like I am on wifi now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

The whole reason I even brought it up was because I couldn't find a way to decline OTA updates in the interface which just seemed odd. I did some research and decided you were right so I went ahead and updated.
Yeah, there's really not a way to do that well. I understand why there isn't but that doesn't help and Nexus S owners who took the Jelly Bean update.

The Gunslinger posted:

It's one at a time unless you get a dual charging pad. I have an Energizer one that does both mine and my girlfriends phone pretty quickly. It seems like the worlds silliest convenience thing but it's great being able to just drop it on the pad and not worry about plugging it in.
Do you have a link to the one you have?

b0nes posted:

At least for me there was a huge noticeable difference going from 3G to LTE. It feels like I am on wifi now.
That seems crazy to me as it's been a while since I've seen a mobile connection slower than your typical home wifi even on HSPA+.

schemie
May 3, 2004

I just upgraded from an iPhone 4s which was HSPA+ to a full LTE phone and I had the same experience as b0nes.

I ran a speed test before I traded the iPhone in and got like 2.8Mb down. With my LTE phone I get ~20Mb down. It's definitely noticeable during day to day use.

Granted this was AT&T HSPA+ which was originally 3g and then in an update they changed the icon to say 4g even though nothing changed on the back end (afiak).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

That seems crazy to me as it's been a while since I've seen a mobile connection slower than your typical home wifi even on HSPA+.
What kind of piss home internet do you have?

As for the Qi charger I think he's talking about this ugly thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

It says it's a "3 Position" charger, but it really only has two Qi pads. The third is just a USB port.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Just got 4.4 on my Nexus 4, hooray!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Not a good one. Over the weekend they had a networking issue that blocked all access to anything Google for about 8 hours. Since I use Google's DNS, guess how that worked out. Hours on the phone with tech support first figuring out why there wasn't connectivity, then why it was just Google, then that it affected a bunch of their customers. Even switching to their DNS didn't help much since so many sites embed Google Adwords, analytics, etc. that they'd just hang.

That is ugly but I'd really like a pair of chargers that can charge a pair of phones.

e:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It says it's a "3 Position" charger, but it really only has two Qi pads. The third is just a USB port.
If I knew what the USB port put out I might consider trying to track one down. The wife's Chrombook charges via USB so that would be super convenient.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 22, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

He asked about a dual Qi charger. That's what it is.

LastInLine posted:

That is ugly but I'd really like a pair of chargers that can charge a pair of phones.
Or you could get…two chargers? That way they wouldn't have to be next to each other. My Nexus Wireless Charger will be here next week and I'll do a "review" of it which will probably be "I put my things on it and it charged them."

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yeah it's that one. It's not level so I propped it up under a magazine, my Nexus 4 kept sliding off due to the glass back. It is really ugly but it sits on an end table and just charges our phones so *shrug*

I'm sure there are better/cheaper ones these days but that's all that was available when we bought our phones, the Nexus one was hopelessly sold out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Or you could get…two chargers? That way they wouldn't have to be next to each other. My Nexus Wireless Charger will be here next week and I'll do a "review" of it which will probably be "I put my things on it and it charged them."
You mean four chargers, two for the coffee table and two for bedroom. I'd also still have to have a microUSB cable at both places, one for her Chromebook and one for my bluetooth headset so it's not like it solves the wire problem entirely.

I wish that one wasn't so ugly and slanted, a two pad/1 USB charger would be perfect.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

You mean four chargers, two for the coffee table and two for bedroom. I'd also still have to have a microUSB cable at both places, one for her Chromebook and one for my bluetooth headset so it's not like it solves the wire problem entirely.

I wish that one wasn't so ugly and slanted, a two pad/1 USB charger would be perfect.
Why the coffee table? Just drop your stuff on the charger before you go to sleep.

In other news, I noticed that Google Play Services stopped keeping my phone awake around 5 hours ago. The problem never really bothered me since it contributed < 1% drain per hour.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

I went from dialup with Netzero, to barely pulling down 1MB/s for nearly 7 years with lovely DSL to 30down 5 up.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

b0nes posted:

Latency on LTE is closer to what you see on terrestrial broadband. So, many times you will see a perceived speed up, even if the connections are roughly the same speed.

Plus, you can pull 40Mbit+ if you are on a carrier other than Sprint and a good tower, which is as fast (if not faster) than most broadband in the US.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

4.4 OTA for the Moto X rolling out on AT&T. Downloading it right now. :dance:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Speech synthesis (server-based?) in Google Translate is sooooo much better, I hope Google manages to compact it down and package it for Android.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Combat Pretzel posted:

Speech synthesis (server-based?) in Google Translate is sooooo much better, I hope Google manages to compact it down and package it for Android.

drat, some of these sound really good. Not Afrikaans though

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Armenian is a straight up computer voice.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

r0ck0 posted:

*shrug* I don't charge anything off the computer. My wall wart chargers are at least 1A going to 2A. I use wireless pads and I have them both at home and at work, but I would genuinely like to find out if there's a wireless charging pad that's good all-around for when I need a quick pick-me-up top-off. I'm in and out of signal dead zones for both wifi and cell that the battery drains real quick just roaming around and I like being able to recharge at >1%/min when I need it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Re: Wireless charging. Anyone got a RAVPower charger?

--edit: I just read that these induction chargers generate some heat. How much of an issue is that, considering batteries hate it?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 23, 2013

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
What's the best/cheapest Qi charger that works with the N4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
All aboard the Moto X train. Got mine from Republic Wireless today and it's pretty awesome. Everything just works well, including Google Voice integration/voicemail forwarding. Sprint speeds (yeah, I know) seem to be decent in my area - and for $25/month (on wifi a lot) it makes a lot of sense.

Don't miss the Nexus 5 or HTC One at all so far. Very happy with this phone and cheap service. 29 more days to decide but for now, Republic Wireless and the X are pretty drat impressive.

Even that silly windy day that appeared was creative and fun. I'm pretty shocked about the entire experience thus far. This may be the only Android phone that will pull my wife away from her iPhone. I'm going to try at least (and put her on Republic Wireless to save a lot each month).

• Locked thread