Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pulaski is a jerk to childman Data is a plot that started off wrong but could eventually have been resolved, though. Crusher might be in love with Picard but can never act about it was universally boring and it was basically her whole story once Wesley was gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The most you ever really get out their relationship is in the finale.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Trying to imagine "Remember Me" but with Pulaski instead of Crusher. That would have been fun.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Crusher had a good bedside manner and personality that kind of gelled with the show overall. The most unfortunate thing about her character during the show was that she had so little to do, half her scenes seemed to be about her living vicariously through her assistant at one point.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

To be honest, a lot of it is probably that when they do give Gates McFadden something to work with, she doesn't exactly have the acting chops to carry it, although I guess I have a similar problem with Frakes. At least once they let Marina Sirtis stop trying to talk in her made-up accent, she could kind of hold her own.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Bicyclops posted:

To be honest, a lot of it is probably that when they do give Gates McFadden something to work with, she doesn't exactly have the acting chops to carry it, although I guess I have a similar problem with Frakes. At least once they let Marina Sirtis stop trying to talk in her made-up accent, she could kind of hold her own.

My mind is reeling at this post. Like, she's no Sir Patrick stewart, but how DARE you suggest she's worse than Sirtis and an equal in suck to Frakes.

Of course these rankings mean nothing in a world with Garret Wang and Robert Beltran and all those people on Enterprise whose names aren't even worth remembering.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Jonathan Frakes owns, I won't brook any other opinions on that subject.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Frakes directed that Thunderbirds movie. I will never forgive him for that.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Frakes has a weird, very slight lisp.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Marina Sirtis stop trying to talk in her made-up accent, she could kind of hold her own.

You should hear her mangled Israeli accent in her stint on NCIS. To be fair, I don't know if I've ever heard a real Israeli accent, but whatever the hell she does is so bad I can't possibly believe it's accurate to anything.

tasslex
Apr 23, 2003

He's watching YOU

Skeesix posted:

Never watched enterprise beyond the first episode. Possibly because I know I'll see a story arc about something called a"temporal cold war." I literally cannot fathom that being watchable. That's like some dialogue on big bang theory that someone made up to show that the main characters are irredeemably huge nerds.
Read this book - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Watching_the_Clock - it's pretty good for Trek-lit, and makes the temporal cold war and associated items way better.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Doctor Butts posted:

You should hear her mangled Israeli accent in her stint on NCIS. To be fair, I don't know if I've ever heard a real Israeli accent, but whatever the hell she does is so bad I can't possibly believe it's accurate to anything.

She tries to do a Russian one on Stargate. It's bad.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Slamhound posted:

Frakes has a weird, very slight lisp.

Quite a lot of actors do. I'd like to do a study about how recovery from speech issues might push children into the performing arts, but effort.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

rypakal posted:

Quite a lot of actors do. I'd like to do a study about how recovery from speech issues might push children into the performing arts, but effort.

Ezri's speech impediment will get on your nerves once you identify it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bicyclops posted:

Gates McFadden is the only Star Trek actor with the acting chops to masturbate on screen. I don't see Sir Patrick rubbing one out to Vedic Berile a scottish ghost candle. :colbert:

Also, who names their kid Gates anyways?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Luigi Thirty posted:

She tries to do a Russian one on Stargate. It's bad.

Her most offputting voice was in Mass Effect.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

Also, who names their kid Gates anyways?

Her full name is Cheryl Gates McFadden, she probably goes by Gates because there's already a Cheryl McFadden in the SAG registry. A hella dumb rule, anyway.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

The Dark One posted:

Holy poo poo, I never knew she did voice acting in Mass Effect. Neat. I know Michael Dorn did too, any other trek actors?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Michelle Forbes does every video game ever but she was not in Mass Effect.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Apple Jax posted:

Holy poo poo, I never knew she did voice acting in Mass Effect. Neat. I know Michael Dorn did too, any other trek actors?

Armin Shimerman voiced the Salarian counselor.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Apple Jax posted:

Kaiden is voiced by Raphael Sbarge who was the Crew member on Voyager who was passing information over to the Kazon.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Apple Jax posted:

I don't know what roles he played, but Dwight Schultz is credited for various voices in at least Mass Effect 1.

I was so very sad when I had to murder Worf. :smith:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

rypakal posted:

an equal in suck to Frakes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Dark One posted:

But it was also the most effective, the combination of her weird Troi accent and lower vocal register (possibly pitch-modulated?) really worked for a telekinetic thousand-year-old semi-genderless alien in fetish gear.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

McSpanky posted:

But it was also the most effective, the combination of her weird Troi accent and lower vocal register (possibly pitch-modulated?) really worked for a telekinetic thousand-year-old semi-genderless alien in fetish gear.

"I can feel you are upset Sheppard, maybe you should consider a transfer to a transport ship"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

McSpanky posted:

And they didn't make any other Asari in the games look as interesting again, except maybe for Tela Vasir in LotSB.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

eriktown posted:

Armin Shimerman voiced the Salarian counselor.
Ha, I feel like Salarians and Ferengi are polar opposites physically, but now that I think about it, Shimmerman's got the right kind of voice for a Salarian.

Thom12255 posted:

Kaiden is voiced by Raphael Sbarge who was the Crew member on Voyager who was passing information over to the Kazon.
I only vaugely remember that Voyager character, but I do remember Kaiden :allears:

drat, I played through all 3 Mass Effect games and didn't even know all these trek actors were in it. They must have had a trekkie in charge of casting voice actors.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's not just Star Trek; there were actors from basically every major TV space opera series. Star Trek, Firefly, Farscape/Stargate (a twofer, thanks to Claudia Black), BSG and so on. I don't think anyone from Babylon 5 was involved, but that's about it...

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Vagabundo posted:

Frakes directed that Thunderbirds movie. I will never forgive him for that.

Yes the Thunderbirds movie was pretty bad, but it did have one good part. The part where they showed the hand moving the throttle, and it was a puppet hand.

Frakes also directed "Clock Stoppers" which I like more than I probably should in public.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Raphael Sbarge makes me laugh. He's got that husky, romantic voice which he puts to good use as Kaiden in Mass Effect and as Carth in Knights of the Old Republic, but he's just so loving doofy-looking in reality :haw:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Many years ago (quite literally, Jesus) I came to this thread. I asked the Mighty Regulars where I should start with Trek as I had never watched any. After the laughter died and open mouths closed, I was directed to TNG to begin my training.

I embraced TNG with glee. I would watch episodes, come in here and ask what in the name of gently caress was that about, and what was that thing that killed Tasha Yar (an boy was that a dumb episode) and the thread would cradle me and lead me through the fog. Many would exclaim their joy at seeing one so young and would wish to be in my position.

I watched all of TNG. The whole loving thing. By the end, that last season.. I was quite sure I would never watch Trek again. I got the remastered TOS series and toward the end of my TNG career found the love for TOS so many grandmasters would mumble about. TNG became a pattern, a matrix like code that I could see through.. I could accurately predict the future of episodes (Troi is going to solve this with bullshit, Data is going to have a sperg about being a human again, for fucks sake Picard you can be such a boring dick when you get going like this) in the last few I had not seen. It was an ugly state of affairs.

Well.. here I am. I return to you, thread and Trek. I have seen the JJ and I am not amused (well 2009 was a bit of fun, wasn't it eh? but Into the Darkness can gently caress right goddamn off). I ask of you, sage and ancient masters of sperg..

What are the three good episodes of Enterprise? I do not wish to be sullied.

I have not DS9ed. I believe that is all that is left in this dark, cold and endless void. I have seen a bit and thought it was drawn out and no pew-pew and about silly thing. I may have been wrong, very wrong. Is it truly the word of the spergmasters that I should continue my training there?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
You, sir, have saved the best for last.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The three best Enterprise episodes?

Carbon Creek. Shuttlepod One. Dawn. Watch 'em, they're great. :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

I have not DS9ed. I believe that is all that is left in this dark, cold and endless void. I have seen a bit and thought it was drawn out and no pew-pew and about silly thing. I may have been wrong, very wrong. Is it truly the word of the spergmasters that I should continue my training there?

In a word, yes. If you can watch the first two seasons of TNG and not accuse it of being drawn out and silly, DS9 won't phase you at all.

Also :lol: at no pew-pew in DS9. You have no idea!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
^^^^This guy knows what he's talking about.

DS9 is the pew-pewiest of Treks.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's amazing that DS9 is the pew-pewest of Treks and yet still is basically the best at all the important stuff too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

DS9 has battles with like a thousand ships on both sides going PEW PEW PEW PEW. CGI Mirandas blowing up left and right. It has Avery Brooks acting for the people in the back of the theater. Acting SOOO HARD.

Yet it isn't afraid to have an episode where Quark ends up at Roswell in 1947 or Sisko plays holographic baseball with a bunch of smug spocks.

It is the Best Trek.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat

Slamhound posted:

^^^^This guy knows what he's talking about.

DS9 is the pew-pewiest of Treks.

To be fair, most of the best DS9 episodes don't have much pew pew at all.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tighclops posted:

It's amazing that DS9 is the pew-pewest of Treks and yet still is basically the best at all the important stuff too.

Fixed that for ya. :allears:

Seriously, go watch DS9. The first season or two can seem kinda slow compared to what comes afterwards, but there's still some good stuff in there. And while I have some serious complaints about the ending of the series as a whole, the way they build up to and fight the Dominion War is astounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Grope-A-Matic posted:

To be fair, most of the best DS9 episodes don't have much pew pew at all.

Yet, strangely enough, that being entirely the case, it still manages to be the pew-pewiest of all the Star Treks. Go figure!

• Locked thread