Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Alien Arcana posted:

I understand everything else about this story, but how was it that the MMO's owners lost money? I mean, as I understand it the plexes are 'game time in a can' that let you trade money for X weeks of subscription. Doesn't that mean that CCP had already been paid for those plexes?

The MMO owners didn't lose money. CCP just got money for no service rendered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

TheSpiritFox posted:

Forums, gaming, and personal schadenfreude.

Forums first. I'm sure some of our readers have heard about Reddit and Pedogeddon. When their jailbait subforums were aired on Anderson Cooper from a "Holy poo poo this exists I'm Anderson Cooper and I'm loving horrified" point of view. Many of us were disappointed at the outcome, overall. Reddit took over a year to genuinely shut down the CP trade going through their site. They shut down the primary subforums complained about, but Reddit can just pop up new ones and did. The guy (Violentacrez) who was basically the ringleader seemed like he was just going to go about his merry life stealing pictures off of facebook and posting them into a creepy subreddit.

The last I heard until the new GBS 2.1 Reddit.jpg thread, that's where it ended. Reddit finally self policed, dude got away scott free, life went on, and the pedos probably just took that poo poo to PMs and IRC or something.

And then I got to watch the following video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6plIjdaVGA

That is some weapons grade loving schadenfreude there :allears:

I had no idea that the ringleader of that Reddit creepiness owned himself on national TV.

To contribute: bird schadenfreude.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Alien Arcana posted:

I understand everything else about this story, but how was it that the MMO's owners lost money? I mean, as I understand it the plexes are 'game time in a can' that let you trade money for X weeks of subscription. Doesn't that mean that CCP had already been paid for those plexes?

I tried to figure this out too, but it's just that the phrase is ambiguous, he meant "had spent" as in somebody else spent that money in CCP's game.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

VisAbsoluta posted:

I tried to figure this out too, but it's just that the phrase is ambiguous, he meant "had spent" as in somebody else spent that money in CCP's game.

Sorry I wrote that after a test after an all night cram session. I just got a nap and a better wording would have been "That's 1200 dollars someone paid CCP for the privilege of watching someone else blow it up live over the internet" or something. It's the only game out there you can pointlessly throw money into like that.

Also from the Reddit thread again!

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Nov 22, 2013

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Mizuti posted:

I had no idea that the ringleader of that Reddit creepiness owned himself on national TV.

To contribute: bird schadenfreude.

:kimchi: Awww....look at them, this fight is better.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Farecoal posted:

It's a weak piece of crap with voice controls that don't work about 50% of the time, a useless but mandatory Kinect camera that makes it cost $100 more than it's more powerful competitor, a confusing and awkward UI, stereo sound only, a massive Day One update required to remove all the DRM stuff, a controller that cost $100 million dollars to make worse than the 360's, makes the image quality of whatever cable box or other media equipment you plug into it worse, doesn't even act as a DVR, has lovely launch titles that cost $60 and yet have "micro"transactions, and can barely display games at 900p resolution without chugging framerate wise.

tldr: Half of it's features are broken and don't work or are missing, it is lovely and underpowered as a game console, and yet people (on SA even) are still getting it.

Could you expand on more of the things wrong with the Xbox One, as I've no really been following the thread at all.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Better yet, actually read the “Xbone sucks!” thread or read one of the many reviews online.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

LeJackal posted:

So pretty much all MMA fights.

I never understood why MMA became more popular than k1. Ive only watched a few bouts of each but as far as I remember in K1 you can only stike 3 times on the ground. Submission holds are still possible but they have to be done quickly. K1 is so much more fluid with lots more striking. I could be dreaming all this, as I said I've only seen a few bouts of each. MMA is bloody tedious most of time.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Quick boxing question. That guy's arm looks like it was almost fully extended when he made contact with the other guy's face. Is that what you want, ideally, to hit the guy at the outer limits of your reach?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

bpower posted:

I never understood why MMA became more popular than k1. Ive only watched a few bouts of each but as far as I remember in K1 you can only stike 3 times on the ground. Submission holds are still possible but they have to be done quickly. K1 is so much more fluid with lots more striking. I could be dreaming all this, as I said I've only seen a few bouts of each. MMA is bloody tedious most of time.

Well besides the fact that K1 is a completely different sport they're totally similar

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

henkman posted:

Well besides the fact that K1 is a completely different sport they're totally similar

Come on man, don't be obtuse, they're both trying to achieve the exact same thing, fighters from different disciplines taking each other on. Im asking a genuine question from the position of ignorance, no need to be a loving oval office about about it

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Rob Ford posted:

Quick boxing question. That guy's arm looks like it was almost fully extended when he made contact with the other guy's face. Is that what you want, ideally, to hit the guy at the outer limits of your reach?

Depends on the punch, the fighter's style and the goals of the fight. Ali's jab was fantastic, Frasier's left hook was brutal, Tyson's right uppercut finished fights in the first round.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

bpower posted:

Come on man, don't be obtuse, they're both trying to achieve the exact same thing, fighters from different disciplines taking each other on. Im asking a genuine question from the position of ignorance, no need to be a loving oval office about about it

A lot of people like ground fighting more than you do.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

bpower posted:

K1 is just straight up kickboxing, there's no grappling whatsoever

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

henkman posted:

K1 is just straight up kickboxing, there's no grappling whatsoever

On top of that, even the Wikipedia page for the group lists that striking a fighter who's been knocked down is a foul (so I have no idea where the "strike three times on the ground" thing comes from), as is actually performing any sort of throw or submission maneuver.

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho
http://np.reddit.com/user/Bitcoined

tl;dr Kid gets $1.25m inheritance , loses 500k to shady people right off the bat , 'day trades' away another 450k on bitcoin. Explain's he wants to continue 'day trading' to make back the money he lost. His sister think's he's doubled her inheritance.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Teabiscuit posted:

tl;dr Kid gets $1.25m inheritance , loses 500k to shady people right off the bat , 'day trades' away another 450k on bitcoin. Explain's he wants to continue 'day trading' to make back the money he lost. His sister think's he's doubled her inheritance.

Where oh where did this MASSIVE ERECTION come from?

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho
He's in total denial too. Think's he can just day trade on bitcoin to earn it all back, he just needs some pointers...

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Thanks, I had not noticed the Xbone sucks thread :doh:.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The comments in that video going ":qq: Won't someone think of poor ViolentAcrez and you assholes at Gawker ruining his life?!?!? :pedophiles:" just make it all even better.

give me r/deadniggerjailbait or give me death!

the creepshots one was better. r/creepshots was just predditors taking upskirt shots or just pictures of girls who didn't know they were being photographed. the comments were basically "loving slut", "Look at this stupid whore", "this bitch wants so much dick".

So people started doxxing the predditors, the pics and comments to their bosses, or in some cases, to the police.

http://jezebel.com/5949379/naming-names-is-this-the-solution-to-combat-reddits-creepshots

the meltdowns were amazing. The Creepshotters startded immediately with the 1st amendment bullshit, and then started claiming they were just innocently taking photos. most got fired, and a few got arrested. it was glorious!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My coworker's son has been having a fit that he's not getting an Xbone on launch day, which is also his 18th birthday (he neglected to reserve it). I've been hearing about his drat XBox for weeks now, and I knew it was overhyped, but I had no idea it was so ridiculously terrible.

Teenage boys freaking out about consoles, man.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Teabiscuit posted:

He also immediately moved from a tiny town in western New York State to Brooklyn. That's gotta be a huge increase in his cost of living.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Teabiscuit posted:

gently caress this guy.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
It would have been true schadenfreude if he only ruined his own finances, but he ruined his sister’s too.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

The bigger ones (about the size of a computer case) are used to help with voltage regulation on power lines (helps boost the voltage a bit on long runs) as well as power factor correction. These can operate into the tens of thousands of volts, hundreds of thousands of volts when connected together in series/parallel. You always short the two terminals on a large capacitor like that with a piece of wire because not only does that demonstrate the cap is safe, but the caps can actually build up a potentially dangerous charge on their own over time, even if they aren't energized.

My dad heard of a worker who blew his pikie pinkie finger apart by touching it to charged capacitor terminals.

Three-Phase has a new favorite as of 04:27 on Nov 23, 2013

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Three-Phase posted:

The bigger ones (about the size of a computer case) are used to help with voltage regulation on power lines (helps boost the voltage a bit on long runs) as well as power factor correction. These can operate into the tens of thousands of volts, hundreds of thousands of volts when connected together in series/parallel. You always short the two terminals on a large capacitor like that with a piece of wire because not only does that demonstrate the cap is safe, but the caps can actually build up a potentially dangerous charge on their own over time, even if they aren't energized.

My dad heard of a worker who blew his pikie finger apart by touching it to charged capacitor terminals.

Who you callin' a pikey, fella?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

:aaaaa: How have I not heard this before.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Rob Ford posted:

Who you callin' a pikey, fella?

I should go to bed before my spelling gets even more comically worse.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Three-Phase posted:

I should go to bed before my spelling gets even more comically worse.

Orsna upta yoori fei, catcharga mei?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

TheSpiritFox posted:

Forums, gaming, and personal schadenfreude.

Forums first. I'm sure some of our readers have heard about Reddit and Pedogeddon. When their jailbait subforums were aired on Anderson Cooper from a "Holy poo poo this exists I'm Anderson Cooper and I'm loving horrified" point of view. Many of us were disappointed at the outcome, overall. Reddit took over a year to genuinely shut down the CP trade going through their site. They shut down the primary subforums complained about, but Reddit can just pop up new ones and did. The guy (Violentacrez) who was basically the ringleader seemed like he was just going to go about his merry life stealing pictures off of facebook and posting them into a creepy subreddit.

The last I heard until the new GBS 2.1 Reddit.jpg thread, that's where it ended. Reddit finally self policed, dude got away scott free, life went on, and the pedos probably just took that poo poo to PMs and IRC or something.

And then I got to watch the following video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6plIjdaVGA

That is some weapons grade loving schadenfreude there :allears:

Over a year later and it looks like he's still unemployed http://www.mbrutsch.com/ how desperate do you have to be to make your own name a website in hopes that someone who looked up the pedogeddon saga thought "that guys actually alright, ill hire him" All his fans on reddit and no one really wants to be around that turd irl.

It looks like no one wants to touch that poo poo with a barge pole either considering his cv is still up there.

Also isnt this guy in his 40s or 50s what the gently caress is he doing on reddit?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

whoo, sic balls

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Fauxtool posted:

whoo, sic balls

Wow, Fido reacted instantly.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Alien Arcana posted:

Looks like a German Shepherd too, probably a former police or military dog.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Alien Arcana posted:

The guy made a sudden lunge, intruded into personal space, and was a stranger.
My schipperke's gone crazy aggro on people for less. :v:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Incompetent criminals are good for schadenfreude.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that dog jumping over the counter is from a dog training video reel. Same one that this is from:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Over a year later and it looks like he's still unemployed http://www.mbrutsch.com/ how desperate do you have to be to make your own name a website in hopes that someone who looked up the pedogeddon saga thought "that guys actually alright, ill hire him" All his fans on reddit and no one really wants to be around that turd irl.

It looks like no one wants to touch that poo poo with a barge pole either considering his cv is still up there.

Also isnt this guy in his 40s or 50s what the gently caress is he doing on reddit?

It's funny because he should probably have just stuck to cat subreddits instead of spewing his latent creepo tendencies all over the site.

Oh, and on the original Gawker article, some choice schadenfreude comments:

quote:

I have no problem in you posting anything to stop the horrible subreddits that exist. I have no problem in you bringing attention to horrible things, like r/creepshots or r/jailbait.

I do feel that you just destroyed this man's life, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this.

quote:

Gawker opposed this guy's right to free speech, using what he posted anonymously to get him fired and ruin his life.

quote:

Mr Adrian, keep in mind that posting this article will have real world repercussions on that man. If he really cracks and gets a gun, who know what might happen. He might as well take his life and you'll have that in your track record. You can do in fact kill a person with words.

He might be a sad person, bad and all the bad adjectives you want, but this is not justice served, you are just as bad as him for posting this story for money. A different kind of bad, if you want, but bad at the end.

Just by telling him you already know who he is and showed proof, it could have ended there, but money. You sold that man to the internet, Mr Adrian.

Hope you can live with that if that man dies.

Cheers.

quote:

I think that the country was built on free speech and internet anonymity is it's partner. The man should be left alone. Anyone here in America can say anything they like and voice whatever opinion they have, regardless of it's popularity. And nobody should try to censor that. Certainly not by outing someone. Absolutely horrible. I'm guessing it'll prove to be one of those moves that gives you instant gratification but much future regret. And the whole post has a ring of jealousy to it, as if you're upset that he's more known on the web than you. This isn't what America is all about, and in some neighborhoods there are serious penalties for this kind of bullshit.

I rarely go on reddit, and I don't know this guy, but regardless of what he says or does or whom he insults, that's freedom of speech baby. And trying to infringe upon peoples' freedom of speech is a dick move.

:pedophiles: was truly the greatest emot to ever bless this website

Sgt Showtime
Jun 21, 2011

The Santa Clause of Satire;
The man with a hat on, from Manhattan,
(John Oliver)
I never really understood the whole "it's his freedom of speech to be a pedo" argument. Even if it were the case, it would then be just as much a freedom of speech for someone else to out him for his shittiness.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
I can't understand people that are ignorant of the fact that the Bill of Rights was created to protect people from the government, not other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the First Amendment gives me the right to do or say anything I want at any time, without any repercussions. disagreeing with me is literally Hitler censorship.

• Locked thread