Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Well Sunday is fine for me as well!

I played Navajo Wars by the way and it really is very good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh hey I wrote a ton of words about the COIN series.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Good points. It's really hard to explain the series because it's just so different from anything, at least for me.

I really do love how each game in the series is a totally new take on the system, instead of just a redressing of theme and maps.

If I can make a horrible PC game analogy, COIN is to wargames what Crusader Kings is to the Total War series

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 20, 2013

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tekopo posted:

Oh hey I wrote a ton of words about the COIN series.

Good stuff and a very interesting analysis. I suspect at this time we should start discussing which one of the games we should play for the Sunday(?) session. Based on the spreadsheet, it seems that CL is the one with the most 1st and 2nd place votes. I also think it's the shortest, correct? This might be a great first game to see how the GOONCOIN group works out.

Arguments?

If we all agree, I strenuously suggest you read the CL rulebook before the game if you don't know how to play.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah, let's go with CL, it's a "quick" one. I am fine with Sunday.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't have a problem playing CL again as long as someone takes up the Govt (and reads how to play Govt in the playbook if you have access to it).

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Hey is there anywhere that reviews some of the solo wargames? Im interested in how Space Infantry plays out.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Exmond posted:

Hey is there anywhere that reviews some of the solo wargames? Im interested in how Space Infantry plays out.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66781/space-infantry

Reviews and video reviews are there.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Apparently Navajo Wars is really extremely hard if you swap instructions with the ones on standby instead of flipping on rolls, who knew?

Tomorrow: another crack at doing the campaign game, game is awesome anyway. Must remember not to run out of APs and use my families to create APs more often.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I don't have a problem playing CL again as long as someone takes up the Govt (and reads how to play Govt in the playbook if you have access to it).

Dibs, that way when I lose I can save face by claiming I was going for historical accuracy.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Any of you have a PDF of the playbook? I don't own CL.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oldstench posted:

Any of you have a PDF of the playbook? I don't own CL.
I don't think it's available online. It has an example of play and some strategy tips, but most importantly shows how to actually play the Govt faction, since the main aim is to get police in areas where they usually can't go: in CL this is usually done by either building bases or deploying there during propaganda if you have control.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

First of all, I got some thematically appropriate bowls for blind counter pulls.

Op 05

I preempt for 3AP and decide to run a Passage of Time op to get my people out of the POT box. I know the Pueblo Revolt is happening in 2 turns, and if I don't create new families before that, I'll lose half of the counters.

The Passage of Time op is very procedural.
  1. First, I deal with population. I start with 1 Man, 1 Woman, 2 Child, and 2 Elder counters.
    1. I convert 1 of the 2 Child counters I have to an Elder counter and place it back in the POT box.
    2. I place all 3 Elder counters in the first Elder box.
    3. I use the Man, Woman, and Child counters left to create Family D and place them with Ferocity 0 in Canyon de Chelly.
    4. I would lose 1 Culture point for each missing pop counter in an active Family, but I don't have any missing, so skip this. I gain 1 for each new Elder, so I gain 3, bumping me to 9.
    5. If there were any pop counters in the POT box left, I'd place them in the Out of Play box, but I don't
  2. Family B returns its Horse Counter to the Resource box. I have 1 Sheep and 2 Horses.
  3. If the player has at least 1 animal of (of either type) it breeds and you get another one. I get 1 additional Sheep and Horse.
  4. There are no face-down Corn counters on the same space as a Family counter, so I skip this Harvest step.
  5. Now I need to feed the Families. Each Territory has an Arability rating of 3 minus each Drought or Rancho Outpost (these haven't come up yet) present. I have 3 Arability in Canyon de Chelly, San Juan Valley, and Shiprock, and 2 in the Zuni Mts. (-1 Drought), so I can Feed 11 pop counters from Territory Resources. Each Sheep can feed 4 pop counters, and I have 5 Corn. I have 18 to Feed (4 full 3 pop Families and 6 Elders), so I use the 11 Territory points, 1 Sheep for 4, and the 3 Corn counter for a total of 18. The Sheep goes back to the Out of Play box and the Corn goes to the Corn bowl.
  6. Next, I need to feed my animals. Each populated Territory can feed 1 animal. I have Families in 4 Territories, so I can feed my 3 Horse and 1 Sheep. Happy animals are good animals.
  7. Elder Death Check. Usually, you want to roll within the Elder range. For this check, you want to roll above the number or else the Elder dies. The newly placed Elders are immune to this check as they haven't moved into the numbered Elder displays yet. Without going into the grim details, all my 3 active Elders loving died on me.
  8. I roll for Drought recovery just like the Minor event. I roll a 5, but there isn't a Drought counter there, so I find the lowest numbered adjacent Territory which happens to be the Zuni Mts. I remove the Drought counter from it.
  9. All saved Corn in the Resource box is returned to the Corn bowl.
  10. IF I had already had a Pueblo Revolt come up AND it had been removed by a 3 cube Subjugation AND I had less than 3 Subjugation cubes in play, the Spanish would have lost 1 Morale here, but I didn't, so they don't.
  11. Cube reset.

Spanish Turn
They receive 8 AP (3 saved from last turn, 2 from the card, 3 from the Subjugation cubes) but can't spend it yet. That Raid 9 counter costs 9 AP. Something bad's on the horizon. I hope my people can do something about it...

I roll double 6, so the two AI counters in the 6 spot switch places. A Build+Subvert 3 moves to the Inactive column and a Peace 2-6 replaces it. More good news!

Major Event
There is no Corn in play, so this does nothing.

Minor Event
I roll a 5, so the Build 3 switches with a Colonize 3.

The turn ends, and I draw Ceremony 38.

As I have no Ceremony cards in hand, the Enemy Way doesn't fire. I decide not to keep it, so I toss it.

This ends these two turns. I feel I'm in decent shape. I know a Victory Check is about to occur, and I'd really prefer to have Family D out of Canyon de Chelly so I could get some VP for them, but at least I won't lose any pop counters.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 22, 2013

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Nice, I look forward to your next post! You are doing slightly better than me: having full families is really nice. I managed to get to the Mexican era but constant Ute raids absolutely killed me. I had two 2-value ceremenies which I used to help me in battles but I rolled 1 in both of them, very annoying. Just lost too many families, I think I had 4-5 Ute raids by the time I lost.

So yeah, for the COIN games, it seems we are lined up for Sunday at 1pm EST. I think people that have showed interest for the weekend are: Dre2Dee2, ConorT, me and Trynant (Oldstench can't make it). If there's enough people/interest, maybe we can get a Saturday game? I'd be up for that!

Currently we have:
-ConorT as Govt
-I would like to take 26JUL as first choice, otherwise DR

Anyone else want to call picks?

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Tekopo posted:

Nice, I look forward to your next post! You are doing slightly better than me: having full families is really nice. I managed to get to the Mexican era but constant Ute raids absolutely killed me. I had two 2-value ceremenies which I used to help me in battles but I rolled 1 in both of them, very annoying. Just lost too many families, I think I had 4-5 Ute raids by the time I lost.

So yeah, for the COIN games, it seems we are lined up for Sunday at 1pm EST. I think people that have showed interest for the weekend are: Dre2Dee2, ConorT, me and Trynant (Oldstench can't make it). If there's enough people/interest, maybe we can get a Saturday game? I'd be up for that!

Currently we have:
-ConorT as Govt
-I would like to take 26JUL as first choice, otherwise DR

Anyone else want to call picks?

I have no preference and will take whatever spot is left if Dre2Dee2 wants a specific role. I'd also love to try something Saturday as well.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

So here it is, the first Victory Check of the game.

Pueblo Revolt

At this point, I can decide to run this card as is, or perform Good Medicine. Good Medicine allows me to skip this Victory Check at the cost of (for this card) placing a single Black cube in the Subjugation of New Mexico box and give 1 Morale to the Spanish. Either way, I still need to play the card effects. I decide that I'm in a decent enough position to avoid taking the GM option.

The Major Event on this card has 3 effects:
  1. All cubes are returned to the Raid Pool. This is good, as they don't get 3 AP per turn now.
  2. Only steps 2 and 4 of the Enemy turn are performed. This means the Enemy only collects AP and performs Actions. Furthermore, Enemy AI counters are ignored. Only Subjugate actions are performed. Effectively, I'll simply be drawing cubes from the Raid Pool until New Mexico is Subjugated again. Additionally, all non-Red cubes drawn will go to the Recovery box. This means that I will likely lose all cubes from the Raid Pool.
  3. Finally, Reset Cube calls will be ignored until this card is gone. While this seems initially, Really, Really Bad (TM), it's not so terrible as the card goes away as soon as three Red subjugate cubes are out, and a Ceremony card (or a Planning ops) will reset the cubes immediately afterwards. This card makes me lose time though. There are only 7 cards left in the draw deck and one of them is the game ending card. Let's hope time doesn't run out on my people.

I reset the cubes as required and then begin the Victory Check. This is another highly procedural part of the game consisting of 10 steps.
  1. I add up the VPs from Territories with Families in them. Shiprock (4), San Juan Valley (3), and Zuni Mts. (3) gives me 10. I subtract the VP count on the card (8) from my total and get 2. Since it's positive, I gain 1 Military Point giving me 8. Were it negative, I would lose the difference in Military Points.
  2. Next, I subtract the Enemy Morale from my Military Points and place my Military Point counter at the final value. If I were to go negative, for each point below 0, I would lose 2 Culture Points. This is a bad thing. As I have 8 Military, and the Enemy Morale is 6, I end up at 2 Military. Enemy Morale is set to 0.
  3. If I had 0 Military and 0 Culture Points at this time, I would suffer a Major Defeat. I don't. Go me.
  4. For each Man counter I have in an active Family, I gain 1 Military Point up to a maximum of 7. If I already had 7+ Military, I would gain 0. This last bit is important and is one of the ways to "win" the game. At this point, for each Military Point I gain, the Enemy gains 1 Morale Point. If I was at or above 7 Military Points, the Enemy would gain no Morale. During a Passage of Time op, if the Enemy is at 0 Morale and there are no Forts on the map in the same space as a Family counter, the player wins an automatic victory. Keeping the Family Military value high is an important concept in this game. I gain 4 Military Points, moving me to 6, and the Spanish gain 4 Morale.
  5. The Spanish also gain 1 Morale for each Outpost (not Fort!) in play. This is why you need to keep the Outposts in check with Raids. I couldn't because of my unlucky Ceremony draws and the necessity of using two Planning ops to rearrange cards. These shorter scenarios are (imho) misleadingly labeled as easy in the playbook. With such a limited number of turns, the game becomes far tighter. Every decision has to be heavily considered or you can end up in a very bad spot followed by a terrible failure cascade during a Victory Check.
  6. For each Woman counter in an active Family, the player gain 1 Culture Point up to a maximum of 9. I gain 4 to max at 9.
  7. Were there any Forts (not Outposts!) in play, I would lose a Culture Point per. There aren't. Skipped.
  8. At this point, unless I was resolving card #45 or #50, I can spend Military or Culture Points to purchase a Cultural Development card. I pay 1 Culture to get Horsemanship which gives each Family with a Horse +1 MP during Actions. This is going to be incredibly helpful on later Actions.

9. AP is zeroed out and were any cubes in the Raided or Recovery boxes, they would be returned to the pool.
  10. If there were any population counters left in the POT box, half (rounded up) would be returned to the Out of Play box.

That's it for the Victory Check. I'm not in a bad position, but the enemy Morale being as high as it is worries me. I'll likely need to get a battle result during an Outpost raid (hopefully with a dr1 Ceremony card in hand) and get a MAjor Family Victory to drop the Enemy Morale by 1. I don't actually have much hope.

On an unrelated note, :siren:MY WIFE:siren: just walked in and asked my what I was doing. I told her and she gave me a look that I can only describe as "withering".

"You're telling me that you document all of your moves and people actually read about it?"

I think she's looking up divorce attorneys.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Trynant posted:

I have no preference and will take whatever spot is left if Dre2Dee2 wants a specific role. I'd also love to try something Saturday as well.
I think Dre2 will probably take DR since he's already tried syndicate but I might be wrong.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oldstench posted:

I think she's looking up divorce attorneys.
Good, give you more time to play/write about Navajo Wars, you didn't need her anyway.
:goonsay:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
6-6 Military to Morale isn't that bad, since you can get it to 8 with elder actions. The real problem is the outposts: since the next event adds 2 automatically, you need to have 3 more Mil than Morale to win the scenario (One of the reasons I think this scenario is actually really hard. Another one is that with only a few standard cards, deck luck plays a much bigger role than when you do a full era.) You need to kill off the outposts, do enough planning to get morale up, and maybe hope you fully escape a raid to knock off a morale that way. It's going to be tough to fit all that into however many ops you have left.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

blackmongoose posted:

6-6 Military to Morale isn't that bad, since you can get it to 8 with elder actions.

I only have 8 Culture, so I can only get Mil to 7.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Oldstench posted:

I only have 8 Culture, so I can only get Mil to 7.

Oh right, you bought horsemanship. You might have to fit in a passage of time too then to boost culture.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

blackmongoose posted:

Oh right, you bought horsemanship. You might have to fit in a passage of time too then to boost culture.

That's likely my plan depending on how many Ceremonies I get.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

How do you do a PoT to boost culture? If you place any Elders by converting children, you are going to leave spaces which pretty much counterbalances the gains. The only way to gain culture is to bust outposts, or be less than 5 and reduce ferocity during planning, or do the -1 mil, +1 culture, or have more elders than empty slots.

EDIT: I missed the bit about doing ceremonies. Also, I managed to get to Mexican era again, but an unexpected Pueblo War screwed me and I had to Good Medicine one event card :(

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tekopo posted:

How do you do a PoT to boost culture? If you place any Elders by converting children, you are going to leave spaces which pretty much counterbalances the gains. The only way to gain culture is to bust outposts, or be less than 5 and reduce ferocity during planning, or do the -1 mil, +1 culture, or have more elders than empty slots.

EDIT: I missed the bit about doing ceremonies. Also, I managed to get to Mexican era again, but an unexpected Pueblo War screwed me and I had to Good Medicine one event card :(

You can convert Children AND Adult pop counters in the POT box as well as the Family boxes.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, that's why I said I missed the bit about the ceremonies. It's going to be tricky to be able to get many ops though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So I decided to do a Cuba Libre LP!.

Join one, join all! Drama! Backstabbing! Politics!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Got my copy of Ogre yesterday. Feels like I bought something people are still going to be laughing about decades from now.

Man I want to run a mega game of this with a dozen ogres running around trampling helpless tanks.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Op 25 aka: hold on to your codpieces, this'll be an exciting one!

Spanish Turn
I have no AP, so I can't preempt. The Spanish gain 4 AP; 3 from the card, 1 from the Pueblo Revolt card. This gives them a total 11 AP to spend on a Subjugate action. loving yay.

I pull 11 cubes from the Raid Pool and get 3 Red, 2 Black, 2 Brown, 2 Yellow, and 2 White.

Historically, the Pueblo Revolt card represents the revolt of the Pueblo tribes in 1680 when they drove the Spanish from the region. Approximately 400 settlers were killed during the revolts, the rest of the remaining 2,100 settlers fled to Sante Fe. 11 years later, in 1691, Governor Don Diego de Vargas led a Spanish expedition into New Mexico to drive the Pueblo from the area. This was largely successful mostly owing to the decline of Pueblo population by nearly half due to disease and Apache raids. The card actions (repeated Subjugation) is modeling the 1691 retaking of the New Mexico area by the de Vargas expedition.

The 3 Red subjugation cubes cause the Pueblo Revolt card to go away per the Subjugation of New Mexico chart. The Spanish gain 1 Morale and I reset the cubes.

Navajo Turn
My best course of action seems to be to try to push those Missions out of New Mexico and move my Families out of the Areas that could be affected by the Major Event that's about to fire. I decide to perform a Take Actions op for those reasons.

Family Actions:
  1. Family A: Takes a Horse counter and gains 7 MP through Horsemanship.
    • I have Family A raid the Outpost at Shiprock 2 for 2 MP (5 MP left).
    • An Outpost raid is performed with a cube draw from the Raid Pool. As all 3 Red cubes have been drawn, I feel fairly good about my odds to get a good result.
    • Unfortunately, luck is a fickle and assholish mother-fucker and I pull a Green cube which means that I'll either have to have Family A fight a battle with some troops in the Mission or I'll have to give the Enemy +1 Morale. I choose to battle. This gives the Spanish +1 Ferocity (this is a DRM for the enemy roll). I roll a 4 and add 1 for Family Ferocity and 1 for having a Horse, giving me a 6. The Spanish roll a 5. With a 5 Ferocity, the Spanish are going to completely kick my rear end, so I turn in 3 Trade Goods and reroll the Spanish attack. I roll a 2 instead. With the 5 Ferocity, the Spanish end up with a 7 total. I subtract their 7 from my 6 and get a -1, which, in the Area the fight is happening, is considered an Enemy Victory. I lose the Man and Horse counter from Family A, have to drop their Ferocity to 0, give the Spanish +1 to their Morale (8 now...fuuuuuuuuuu), and drop their Ferocity 1 to 4. The raid ends, and my family slinks away with their tail between their legs.
    • Family A uses their remaining 5 MP to move to Monument Valley Area 2.
  2. Family B: Takes a Horse counter and gains 7 MP through Horsemanship.
    • They spend 2 MP (5 left) and move to the Mission at San Juan Valley 1. Moving to an Area controlled by an Outpost (or an Area with an Area value less than the controlled Area) requires 1 extra MP.
    • gently caress 'em, we're Raiding. I spend 1 MP (4 left), draw and get a White cube. Hell yeah! One hit on the Mission and I get to draw again. This time I get a Brown cube which is another hit. As it requires 2 hits to destroy an Outpost on Area 1, this is enough to do it. The Mission is tossed into the Out of Play box and Family B gains 1 Ferocity. I also gain 1 Culture (9).
    • I use 2 MP to move to Shiprock 2 (2 left).
    • I'm feeling an incredible amount of hubris now and decide to use the last 2 MP to Raid the Mission at Shiprock 2. I draw a Brown cube which is 1 hit! Blammo! The Mission is Destroyed and pushed along the Area Track to Shiprock 1. The Family gains another Ferocity (2 total) and I gain another Culture (10).
  3. Family C: Takes a Horse counter and gains 7 MP through Horsemanship.
    • I use 1 MP to move to Shiprock 1 and...
    • Raid for 1 MP. I draw a 2 White in a row, causing 2 hits. The Mission is destroyed and sent back to the Out of Play box. Family C gains 1 Ferocity (1) and I gain 1 Culture (11).
  4. Family D: Gains 6 MP and moves to San Juan 3 for 6 MP.

Major Event
I moved all my Families from the Zuni and Hopi areas because I can't afford lose any. I instead lose 1 Culture (10).

Minor Event
I roll a 5 and swap the Colonize 3 with the Build 3.

While not a total disaster, this turn could have gone a lot better. Let's see how things go.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

What's the consensus on Space Empires 4x abs it's expansion. It looks really interesting and I was just able to procure a copy of the naze game for 15 bucks.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Aaaahh, well real life responsibilities are not going to make the 1pm game tomorrow possible for me. I can do a later time, like 5pm or after. If someone wants to hop in and take my spot, they can. Sorry guys. :(

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

OP 21

I have no AP, so I can't preempt.

Spanish Turn
The Spanish gain 6 AP (3 for the card, 3 for subjugation cubes). I roll a 2-5 and flip the Peace 2-6 to the Comanche 3 side (drat) and also flip the Colonize 3 to its Build 3 side. The Raid 9 isn't going to go off this turn as the Spanish are 3 AP short. It's not going anywhere though. Luckily, my people are Cunning and will be able to avoid it when it comes up.

Navajo Turn
I decide to use a Planning op.
  1. I get a Man! Oooh, yeah.
  2. +3 AP, Elders slide right.
  3. Elder Actions:
    • 1: + Military [Roll 5, Fail]
    • 1: + Military [Roll 1, Succeed] Culture 9, Military 7
    • 1: + Military [Roll 5, Fail]
  4. Skip Tribal actions.
  5. Reset cubes. All the cubes in the Recovery box go back to the pool.

Major Event
Firearms! Booyah. If I spend this during a battle, I'll get a +2 DRM.

Minor Event
Drought check is 3 - Zuni Mts. again.

Cousarr
Apr 29, 2008

Only a king can make this face.
I played a game similar to Check your Six at a convention a couple of years ago and can't remember the name of it. It was a world war 2 airplane war-game on a hex-grid. The key difference between it and check your six was that the moves were not written down ahead of time and instead were done turn-based on a by wing basis. Maneuvers such as a slip or split-s were conducted by exchanging speed, marked by number of consecutive hexes of straight and level flight, for the maneuver. There was no need for pilot experience level or things like "Pilot Reaction." Overall it was a much simpler system but not so simple as to not require a hex grid such as games like wings of war/glory.

If anyone can think of what this game was based on my limited description of it, it would be much appreciated.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Cousarr posted:

I played a game similar to Check your Six at a convention a couple of years ago and can't remember the name of it. It was a world war 2 airplane war-game on a hex-grid. The key difference between it and check your six was that the moves were not written down ahead of time and instead were done turn-based on a by wing basis. Maneuvers such as a slip or split-s were conducted by exchanging speed, marked by number of consecutive hexes of straight and level flight, for the maneuver. There was no need for pilot experience level or things like "Pilot Reaction." Overall it was a much simpler system but not so simple as to not require a hex grid such as games like wings of war/glory.

If anyone can think of what this game was based on my limited description of it, it would be much appreciated.

Sounds kind of like either Spitfire or Mustangs maybe?

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 25, 2013

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Me and fellow goons ConorT, Trynant and Nerokerubina managed to start (and finish) a game of Cuba Libre and it was a lot of fun. I played as the 26 July faction for the first time and I have to say that it is pretty tough to play. Only getting 3-4 resources per propaganda really means that you have to use your resources effectively and it certainly made me more inclined to run events due to the scarcity of resources available. The government managed to win on the final card but everyone was in the running until the very end, with the margin of victory being 2/0/-1/-1!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I hope all of you who celebrate it had a nice Thanksgiving.

Op 04

There are two possible Raid counters coming up, so I can't afford to spend the AP to preempt; I need them for reactions such as Ambush, Harass, or Negotiate, but not Evade (thanks Tekopo).

Spanish Turn
They get 7 AP (4 for the card, 3 from Subjugation cubes). With the 6 AP left over from last turn, they have 13, certainly enough to perform the Raid! 9! I roll for AI counter adjustments and get a 1-4. The Raid! 9 has a red stripe, so it doesn't adjust. Space 4 does switch though - a Slaves 5 for a Raid! 11. Ugh.

The Raid! 9 fires. I opt to use the Cunning 1 Culture card to negate this op. The Culture card is exhausted, the counter is moved to the Inactive column, and no Enemy AP are spent. Unfortunately, this means the next counter, Comanche 3, will fire. If there weren't 3 Subjugation cubes in play, this would convert to a Subjugate action. There are, so 3 AP are spent (10 left) and 4 Tribal Raid counters are placed on the board, 1 for each Family.

:siren:Well, I can't read. I've been playing tribal raids incorrectly every time. Everything below this is wrong, and completely obviates the rest of my playthrough. Sorry.:siren:

Each counter is placed on the board by rolling a die and adding the counter to the lowest numbered Area space that doesn't already have a Tribal Raid counter on it.
  1. 4: Monument Valley 1. No Family counter there, so nothing happens.
  2. 2: San Juan Valley 1. No Family counter.

3. 5: Hopi Land 1: No Family counter.
  4. 5: Hopi Land 2: No Family counter.

I really lucked out. As there were no actual encounters by the Raiding Comanches, they leave the land in relative peace; the counters are removed from the board to represent this.

Next, 3 AP are spent (7 left) to fire the Colonize 3 instruction. As there are no cubes in the Raided Cibes box, this converts to an Expand 3 instruction, which in turn converts to a Build instruction because there are no Outposts on the map. A Mission counter is placed in Shiprock 1. The next instruction is that godawful Raid! 11. As the Spanish only have 7 AP left, they can't use it (yet), but it's going to go off next turn unless a miracle double 1 is rolled. The turn ends, the AI counters are reset, and the Navajo get their chance.

Navajo Turn
I decide to Take Actions. I know that I only have 4 cards left in the draw pile, and 1 of those ends the game with a Victory Check. If I keep my families together in one Territory, I won't be able to get enough VP to keep from losing Military points, which will be devastating. I can activate all 4 families for having 3 Elders. Family A gets 5 MP (6 - 1 for the missing Man counter), B and C get 7 MP (6 + 1 for having Horse counters), and D gets 6 MP.

• A: Tribal Council. I roll a die and get a 6. As this is greater than the value of the Area Family A is in (2) I get +1 AP. I will need that AP for the coming Raids.
  • C: Yes, you can activate Families out of order.
    • I decide to use C, who are in Shiprock 1 with the Mission, to Raid the Mission and hopefully push them out of Shiprock. I pull a Raid cube and get a White cube! 1 hit on the Mission. It requires 2 to remove a Mission from Area space 1, so I pull another cube and get a second White cube! Booyah! The counter is removed, Family A's Ferocity is upgraded to 2, and I receive a Culture point, increasing it to 10.
    • Family C is feeling chuffed, so they decide to Raid New Mexico! I pull a Brown cube, so I place a Horse counter in the Resources box and increase C's Ferocity to the max, 3.
    • Nothing is going to stop Family C! They Raid New Mexico again. I pull Black and take a Sheep counter in case I make it to another Passage of Time op and need to feed my people.
    • At this point, I decide that it's best to move Family C out of Shiprock because Family B is there as well. I use 3 MP to Move Fam C to Zuni Mts 1.
  • B: Family B is in Shiprock 2. I use 6 MP to Plant Corn.
  • D: Family D is in San Juan Valley 3. The most useful thing they can do right now is another Tribal Council. I roll a 3 which is a success, and gain another AP, increasing my total to 5.

This ends my turn.

Major Event
Per the card, I remove 1 red Subjugation cube and place it back in the Raid Pool.

Minor Event
I roll a 2, which does nothing.

That ends this turn. Here's hoping I don't pull the final scoring card.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 29, 2013

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

:frogsiren:Franciscan Friar Ascendant:frogsiren:

So, that's the end of the game. It's a 10 VP Victory Check. I add the two Missions as required by the card and tally up the results. Long story short, my final score is -2, a Minor Defeat.

I hope that if you've followed this I piqued your interest in the system enough you might consider buying a copy. It's a fantastic game and well worth a play.

Thanks for reading.
:wom:

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 29, 2013

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It is still an amazing AAR even if there was the one mistake with the tribal raid. Then again, I played my first 2 games by switching counters when rolling for them instead of flipping them, which is also a huge mistake.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tekopo posted:

It is still an amazing AAR even if there was the one mistake with the tribal raid. Then again, I played my first 2 games by switching counters when rolling for them instead of flipping them, which is also a huge mistake.

I really appreciate it. I think I'll try to set up the scenario as I had it on the last turn and re-play from there. It's literally just the Tribal Raids followed by my turn, then the end scoring. I just assume that unless I get magic die rolls, I'll end up with a Major Defeat.

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

The lack of availability for Fields of Fire in Europe and this excellent AAR make me think this could be a brilliant xmas present suggestion (from the missus to myself of course).

Your report has certainly been a brilliant tease, although FOF is tempting me with it's ongoing campaign.

Are there any other similar games in this vein that you would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think those are the two main GMT solo games, DVG has a ton of games though and TAL isn't actually that bad (although a bit random at times). I think I wrote a few words about it. I'm also in a desperate search for a copy of FoF here in Europe.