Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Anything can be killed. There's a plenty of things that are too large for a vindicare to dodge, or too strong for the sorcerer's shield to withstand.

Waci fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Waci posted:

Anything can be killed. Even an ascension vindicare can't dodge something a kilometre wide.

A lance strike or macrocannon barrage will kill one fairly easily, yeah. On the personal scale, it's really difficult to catch them in an AoE they can't get out of. A Baneblade's main gun might have a large enough one that the Vindicaire can't dodge out of it. Remember, you need to be able to move out of the area of an attack to be able to dodge it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Unless the GM says "no, you can't dodge that", a Vindicare is technically allowed to dodge everything.

Ascension, Page 91 posted:

Additionally, the Assassin may
attempt to Dodge any attack, including attacks that are not
normally eligible for a Dodge Test, such as massive explosions,
a descending titan’s foot, or an invisible psychic attack (The
GM should make the final decision on which attacks may not
be Dodged, and at his discretion, this ability may not apply).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Ascension is different than Black Crusade, though. BC at least pretends to be a functioning game, while Ascension is basically Dark Heresy: Dragonball Z Edition.

In any case, you only get so many reactions per turn.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Ascension is different than Black Crusade, though. BC at least pretends to be a functioning game, while Ascension is basically Dark Heresy: Dragonball Z Edition.

Vindicares get a number of extra reactions equal to their Agility bonus. They also get access to Unnatural Agility right away, so you're looking at somewhere around 11-17 dodges before talents.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 21, 2013

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
In 40k I feel pretty strongly that an irresistible force should trump an immovable object. There is only war, after all.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

In 40k I feel pretty strongly that an irresistible force should trump an immovable object. There is only war, after all.

:goonsay: The whole point is that the vindicare doesn't stand still long enough to shoot/hit.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Probably the best way to land a hit on a Vindicare is to drop a truly ridiculous number of hits from a single salvo. They're still only dodging 1 hit per degree of success, so a large enough Only War Ork Formation with Big Shootas using the order that gives their weapons Storm might feasibly be able to land more hits in one attack than the Vindicare can dodge.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Talkie Toaster posted:

Probably the best way to land a hit on a Vindicare is to drop a truly ridiculous number of hits from a single salvo. They're still only dodging 1 hit per degree of success, so a large enough Only War Ork Formation with Big Shootas using the order that gives their weapons Storm might feasibly be able to land more hits in one attack than the Vindicare can dodge.

Bring an army. Tell them to fire all at once.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
And that is why they outlawed genetic engineering in Star Trek.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Asehujiko posted:

Unless the GM says "no, you can't dodge that", a Vindicare is technically allowed to dodge everything.

A GM who lets an assassin dodge a macrocannon barrage, after they've got themselves into the situation where they're being targeted by a macrocannon barrage, probably has even bigger plans in mind.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Ascension is the several session reward for making it through dark heresy alive where the players get to go murder a greater demon or blow up a titan and by the end of it you have your players recruit another team of acolytes and deploy them to some rear end end of nowhere hive where the players are completely aware of how poorly equipped and screwed they are going in. The cycle continues.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Quick straw poll, are mutations and mutants the bailiwick of Nurgle or Tzeentch? I say the former.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Yoshimo posted:

Quick straw poll, are mutations and mutants the bailiwick of Nurgle or Tzeentch? I say the former.

Tzeentch has express dominion over mutation as a broad concept. Flamers of Tzeentch have fire that mutates the poo poo out of people, the Staff of Change mutates the poo poo out of people, Horrors of Tzeentch mutate constantly, numerous psychic powers keyed to Tzeentch deal with mutation, the Tome of Fate talks about Tzeentch and mutation, mutation is the process of rapid changes, etc. etc.. Nurgle may have some very appropriate mutations for his followers, but when it comes to "Which one uses it more as an active Thing" Tzeentch wins pseudopods down.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Daeren posted:

Tzeentch has express dominion over mutation as a broad concept. Flamers of Tzeentch have fire that mutates the poo poo out of people, the Staff of Change mutates the poo poo out of people, Horrors of Tzeentch mutate constantly, numerous psychic powers keyed to Tzeentch deal with mutation, the Tome of Fate talks about Tzeentch and mutation, mutation is the process of rapid changes, etc. etc.. Nurgle may have some very appropriate mutations for his followers, but when it comes to "Which one uses it more as an active Thing" Tzeentch wins pseudopods down.

This guy's got it right. He's not the Lord of Change for nothing.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
For dodging area attacks, in Black Crusade at least you can only move your Agility Bonus in meters on a successful dodge. So if the attack covers a large enough area, then it doesn't matter if you succeed in your dodge roll or not, you still get hit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That rule exists in DH. Vindicares are explicitly stated as being able to ignore said rule, as long as the GM agrees.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

goatface posted:

That rule exists in DH. Vindicares are explicitly stated as being able to ignore said rule, as long as the GM agrees.

The quote posted earlier says that he can dodge attacks he normally wouldn't get a reaction against, including massive explosions, but unless he moves out of the area of effect a successful dodge wouldn't actually do anything except let him choose to move a bit before being blasted.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Goatface's interpretation would lead to vindicares potentially somersaulting half a mile in one direction to get out of the way of an orbital strike. I'm sorry Astus, but he wins.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Yoshimo posted:

All the Choas gods have minor mutants/mutations, but Tzeentch is all about the Change.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
A strange growth from Nurgle will not be part of your actual body, but a parasitic infection buddy.
A strange growth from Tzeentch will be a handy new limb or wing or tail.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

What about an extra boob/dick from Slaanesh or a giant blade where your arm used to be from Khorne?

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

A strange growth from Slaanesh wouild be a second dick.

ed: dangit, beaten

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Waci posted:

Goatface's interpretation would lead to vindicares potentially somersaulting half a mile in one direction to get out of the way of an orbital strike. I'm sorry Astus, but he wins.

So basically riding the blast of the explosion to safety a la Team Fortress 2...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I see them less riding it to safety, more stepping between the flying debris without even thinking about it. Because cool guys don't look at explosions.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

goatface posted:

I see them less riding it to safety, more stepping between the flying debris without even thinking about it. Because cool guys don't look at explosions.

Dodging flying debris, sure. Dodging tongues of flame, yeah, if you're supernaturally good. Dodging a pressure wave that could gelatinize the bones of an Ogryn, without just escaping the blast radius? That's straight up witchery, and we know what happens to witches round these parts.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if they pray the right way they get sanctioned.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Wasn't one of the examples dodging a titan's footfall? That pretty strongly implies dodging stuff you couldn't possibly make it out of the area from otherwise.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

Wasn't one of the examples dodging a titan's footfall? That pretty strongly implies dodging stuff you couldn't possibly make it out of the area from otherwise.

Well, if you were near the edge of where the Titan would stomp, or at the edge of the massive explosion, you could actually dodge it and be fine. Of course, this also means if a normal guardsman was next to assassin during the massive explosion, the assassin would backflip a few meters away and be fine while the guardsman would get pasted by the explosion, because he wouldn't have a chance to dodge. Not sure how the physics work where you can be far enough away from an explosion to not take any damage while a guy a meter away takes full damage, but Warhammer 40k.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Astus posted:

Well, if you were near the edge of where the Titan would stomp, or at the edge of the massive explosion, you could actually dodge it and be fine. Of course, this also means if a normal guardsman was next to assassin during the massive explosion, the assassin would backflip a few meters away and be fine while the guardsman would get pasted by the explosion, because he wouldn't have a chance to dodge. Not sure how the physics work where you can be far enough away from an explosion to not take any damage while a guy a meter away takes full damage, but Warhammer 40k.

Any character gets a chance to dodge if they're at the edge of an area attack, so your interpretation would make the assassin's "dodge whatever" rule meaningless. I definitely think it should be up to the DM what's reasonable and what's not (no you can't dodge a virus bombing), but fluffing "yeah you jump in a refrigerator as the napalm hits" or whatever doesn't seem too insane to me if you keep in mind that assassins are part of an expansion that is meant to be "epic."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My reading of it is that it gives the player carte blanche to say "But I'm a super-human assassin, can't I just..." and plead their case in situations where other players would have no option but to suck it up and burn fate points.

edit - Less of a mechanical effect, more of a metagame one. A Vindicare is meant to be exceptionally hard to kill, so it stands to reason they should survive things they have no right surviving, as long as the DM agrees they could. If the DM says "You stood in the middle of that target and called down the macrocannon barrage, you're dead", it doesn't matter what dice you roll. If they say "There's a massive explosion as the ammo stored in the Titan's left leg cooks off and annihilates everything within 50 metres" and the player says "Ah, but my superhuman senses let me hear the sound of the first few rounds going off and my stupidly high agility lets me duck into the cover of that burnt out heavy tank so I should get a dodge", then gently caress it, give them the dodge.

goatface fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 23, 2013

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

Any character gets a chance to dodge if they're at the edge of an area attack, so your interpretation would make the assassin's "dodge whatever" rule meaningless. I definitely think it should be up to the DM what's reasonable and what's not (no you can't dodge a virus bombing), but fluffing "yeah you jump in a refrigerator as the napalm hits" or whatever doesn't seem too insane to me if you keep in mind that assassins are part of an expansion that is meant to be "epic."

If he's within 10km of a spaceship departing the planet at the time of the virus bombing, I'd give them the roll. Though, honestly the description for making the dodge and for burning a fate point would be pretty much the same there. "That was a decoy, and you were already on the shuttle going off-world."

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Cool, thanks guys.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

If he's within 10km of a spaceship departing the planet at the time of the virus bombing, I'd give them the roll. Though, honestly the description for making the dodge and for burning a fate point would be pretty much the same there. "That was a decoy, and you were already on the shuttle going off-world."

This is one of the reasons it'd be group dependant, since as hilarious as this is it probably wouldn't fly with mine, despite our games being like Saturday morning cartoons.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

apostateCourier posted:

Tamper with the dice, turn it into a Nurgle-focused BC game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

What about an extra boob/dick from Slaanesh or a giant blade where your arm used to be from Khorne?
I think the other chaos gods mutate you to better do their thing.

Teezey mutates you for the sake of mutating you.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is a titan's foot fall an area attack? There might be grooves or vents lucky characters could find in the foot print. But yeah a game breaking character like that will always boil down to "get your group to agree on something." Personally I'd say that an explosion too big for him to move out of is worthy of isnta-killing one of them because such an explosion would be HUUUUGE. I dunno what their movement rate is but we're not talking about a frag missile here.

Could anyone please give me a few quick answers about the new Dark Hersey. I'll go look the release date (if there is one) myself but I'm curious how the rules are faring these days. Last time I checked they were doing away with wounds and generally making big, big departures from the now standardized "black crusade" style combat. That still going on?

Edit-One other input in the nerdy contention that is the Ascension Assassin is that video games/rpgs will always play up the single man's ability to do stuff.I mean come on pinnacle of humanity or not it's still just a dude. This is like in Mass Effect 3 when Harbinger shoots at Shepard and fails to kill him/her. It's just a fiction thing.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 23, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
For planning ahead in Only War, what's a good xp total at which to be saying "Welp, time to wrap up the campaign."?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Rockopolis posted:

For planning ahead in Only War, what's a good xp total at which to be saying "Welp, time to wrap up the campaign."?

Whatever point where they're not constantly making GBS threads themselves and terrified for their very lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is a titan's foot fall an area attack? There might be grooves or vents lucky characters could find in the foot print. But yeah a game breaking character like that will always boil down to "get your group to agree on something." Personally I'd say that an explosion too big for him to move out of is worthy of isnta-killing one of them because such an explosion would be HUUUUGE. I dunno what their movement rate is but we're not talking about a frag missile here.

Could anyone please give me a few quick answers about the new Dark Hersey. I'll go look the release date (if there is one) myself but I'm curious how the rules are faring these days. Last time I checked they were doing away with wounds and generally making big, big departures from the now standardized "black crusade" style combat. That still going on?

Edit-One other input in the nerdy contention that is the Ascension Assassin is that video games/rpgs will always play up the single man's ability to do stuff.I mean come on pinnacle of humanity or not it's still just a dude. This is like in Mass Effect 3 when Harbinger shoots at Shepard and fails to kill him/her. It's just a fiction thing.
No, they decided to ensure backwards compatibly by changing the wound and action system back last I've heard.