Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

AdmiralViscen posted:

There's no reason to think the West would get DQXI at all. We didn't get the DQ7 remake.

poo poo we still haven't gotten the DQ Monsters 1 remake. It feels like that was two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The French Army! posted:

If the Wii U was $200 and came bundled with a Nintendo title I think a lot more people, myself included, would be interested. As it stands this thing is still seriously overpriced and underpowered.

icantfindaname posted:

Yes but the Gamecube and N64 weren't also a generation behind and $100 or more overpriced.

You can't even get new 360s or PS3s for that price. But the next gen Nintendo system with the defacto game of 2013 isn't enough to plunk down 300 for the deluxe system with a game? Whatever you say!

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
I like Super Mario 3D World but fuckin' :lol: at the idea it's the game of 2013.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

bushisms.txt posted:

But the next gen Nintendo system with the defacto game of 2013

What world do you live in where SM3DW is 2013 GOTY?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's definitely Game of the Month. Year is something I'm sure people could pick a long and pointless subjective fight over.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

TaurusOxford posted:

A world without the 3rd St. Saints aka a world I don't wanna live in.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

bushisms.txt posted:

You can't even get new 360s or PS3s for that price. But the next gen Nintendo system with the defacto game of 2013 isn't enough to plunk down 300 for the deluxe system with a game? Whatever you say!

The de facto game of the year 2013 is the one with the most copies sold surely.

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED
I'm only 6 Worlds into SM3DW and it's definitely Game of the Month and top 10 for the year. It's a drat fine game so far.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bushisms.txt posted:

You can't even get new 360s or PS3s for that price.

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-xbox-360-arcade-annuonced-at-199
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/unannounced-199-ps3-launches-with-little-fanfare-over-the-weekend/
:colbert:

3D World isn't even Game of the Month. It ties with Tearaway.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bushisms.txt posted:

You're right, they cost even less.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

You can get an original model PS3 or 360 for like $70 on ebay. And sorry, even if it is game of the year the 360 and PS3 have 6 games of the year at least. The WiiU is at least $100 overpriced, and honestly is worth no more than a new 360 or PS3, which as fischmech just posted go for like $180.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 23, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

icantfindaname posted:

Yes but the Gamecube and N64 weren't also a generation behind and $100 or more overpriced.

I'll give you the generation behind thing, but the N64 was still expensive back then. Especially when you consider inflation and $60-$70 cartridges in 1996.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Go ahead and crucify me for this: the Wii U pad is good for nothing but screwing around on the web while you're watching a movie or some TV and that's it. I don't wanna be playing a game and then get a prompt to stop what I'm doing, look down at the pad, and then gingerly poke some flashing doohickey to make a thing happen on the big screen.

That's loving stupid. It was neat to do like, I don't loving know, when touch-responsive devices were brand new six or seven years ago? You're not impressing me, Nintendo. If you're going to force me to use the pad, then make the entire game happen on the pad. Or make whatever's happening on the pad a secondary and completely optional component to the game.

God, please make Nintendo drop the stupid loving gimmick hardware act and make them make regular-rear end consoles and controllers and that's it.

Like, when one of their engineers goes goes "Hey, maybe the next Nintendo system should have a child's face on it, so you can look into it's eyes and communicate with it," loving lightening-bolt their rear end. Okay? Do it before it gets any goddamn worse.

Nintendo's good for one thing: Nintendo games. When you start making me put on robot shoes and call my mother to get a 1-UP or something, you're just loving with me. Nobody's going to get to the end of Super Mario 3D World and say "Gosh! I wish there were more things for me to blow at!"

I realize the preceding makes me a loving lunatic and massive baby and I'm fine with that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Astro7x posted:

I'll give you the generation behind thing, but the N64 was still expensive back then. Especially when you consider inflation and $60-$70 cartridges in 1996.

When the N64 launched a Playstation still cost $299, the price drop to $199 wouldn't come til the year after.

Also the chart you used shows it as significantly cheaper than most consoles, but also some of the bars seem to be only half colored for no good reason, so that's hard to tell. This one from Ars Technica on the other hand shows the N64 itself was rather cheap for a console launch:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sometimes Nintendo's gimmicks work and sometimes they don't. Dual screens paid off along with motions control. Having 3D on a handheld...not so much.

If I have anything nice to say about the game pad, it's that it'll remain useful for way longer than motion controls. At least there's off-TV play.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

"Hey, maybe the next Nintendo system should have a child's face on it, so you can look into it's eyes and communicate with it,"

I would buy the poo poo out of this and make everybody I ever met play games on it just to see how uncomfortable they get.

I honestly think the thought process with the Wii U was "Hey, people love the Wii, and they love the DS, LET'S PUT THEM TOGETHER!" and yeah, it didn't work.

On the plus side, if they stick with their 5 year release schedule for consoles, the next one should be about as powerful as the Xbone and PS4 and not come out right before the PS5 and Xbox Evolve or whatever the gently caress they call it (I will put money on the next Xbox being called something like that).

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

At least there's off-TV play.

Useful in particular situations. Situations I'm actually surprised to find myself in more often than not, and these situations didn't actually happen until after I bought my Wii U. Which is weird! I suppose I'd rather choose to use the pad rather than be commanded by the game to use it, because while it's fine to use under duress, I'd as soon not even bother with the thing in normal environments. The fact I have to use it to even log on and start a game galls me. It is inefficient.

I feel the Wii U should be sold with a pro controller and the Wii U pad be sold as an accessory much like the Wii Fit balance board.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I feel the Wii U should be sold with a pro controller and the Wii U pad be sold as an accessory much like the Wii Fit balance board.

I agree with this. The pad's neat, especially in things that use it well like Pikmin 3, but the controller is far more comfortable and the pad's battery runs out way too fast.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I agree with this. The pad's neat, especially in things that use it well like Pikmin 3, but the controller is far more comfortable and the pad's battery runs out way too fast.

The only time I've had the pad run out on me is when I take a game to bed and get myself hooked enough to stay up half the night. Are you leaving it off the charger or just more likely to have marathon play sessions that don't involve a break to go for a walk or something?

I like the off-screen play because my normal screen is my computer monitor (my TV is a CRT from the late 90s) so I can multitask.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I honestly think the thought process with the Wii U was "Hey, people love the Wii, and they love the DS, LET'S PUT THEM TOGETHER!" and yeah, it didn't work.

I think their thought process was "Hey, all of our casual Wii userbase abandoned us for tablets. Let's make a lovely tablet to win them back."

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Bruceski posted:

The only time I've had the pad run out on me is when I take a game to bed and get myself hooked enough to stay up half the night. Are you leaving it off the charger or just more likely to have marathon play sessions that don't involve a break to go for a walk or something?

I like the off-screen play because my normal screen is my computer monitor (my TV is a CRT from the late 90s) so I can multitask.

I leave it off the charger because I'm really weird about trying to make sure I completely discharge poo poo before I charge it.

It lasts a couple of hours, so I mean it isn't like it will typically die from full charge in a normal session, it's just quite a bit less than say, a normal tablet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I leave it off the charger because I'm really weird about trying to make sure I completely discharge poo poo before I charge it.

You shouldn't be doing this for anything using a lithium-ion/lithium-polymer battery, which is most things with rechargeable battery built in since the 90s. You're risking losing battery life permanently, and can't gain anything from it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Install Windows posted:

You're right, they cost even less.

I mentioned this before but my brother found a new 4gb xbox at Target for $89, just to play GTA V. A $15 USB drive was needed to give it enough storage but still a great deal.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Install Windows posted:

You shouldn't be doing this for anything using a lithium-ion/lithium-polymer battery, which is most things with rechargeable battery built in since the 90s. You're risking losing battery life permanently, and can't gain anything from it.

Good to know, thank you for telling me that.

Edit: That reads as being sarcastic. It wasn't meant to be sarcastic. I seriously didn't know that. I'd learned it was better not to charge things that already had a partial charge, I didn't know about Li Ion batteries.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 23, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Install Windows posted:

Thanks, I can never keep track which of those guidelines is still relevant, used to be relevant, or was always bullshit.

Worries about overcharging are bunk unless it's a 5-cent battery charger or something, right? I've assumed anything worth charging has an automatic shutoff these days.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries are the ones that can have a "memory effect" and need occasional deep cycling. They're also the ones most likely to be used in devices that don't properly check for over-charging.

Incidentally if you know you're not going to be using a lithium-based battery for a while, you should discharge it to 40% or so, remove it from the device it's in if possible, and store it in a cold or cool place.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

The French Army! posted:

If the Wii U was $200 and came bundled with a Nintendo title I think a lot more people, myself included, would be interested. As it stands this thing is still seriously overpriced and underpowered.

I agree completely - I'd really like to be playing Zelda and Mario (both 3d World and New) this thanksgiving with family, but I feel like I'd be throwing away $100 compared to where it will be next year. Speaking to the topic: obviously the console isn't in a great place right now but Nintendo really threw their weight behind the 3DS this year to get it off the ground. The same kind of effort is going to be necessary for the Wii U and I predict we'll see a really solid set of first party titles announced in the Spring.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Which is weird! I suppose I'd rather choose to use the pad rather than be commanded by the game to use it, because while it's fine to use under duress, I'd as soon not even bother with the thing in normal environments. The fact I have to use it to even log on and start a game galls me. It is inefficient.

I agree, if I start the system with the Pro Controller it should know I don't want to use the Game Pad. It's kind of annoying that the option to turn off the screen is one option menu deep on the home button, because I find myself doing that frequently. I really got nothing out of the gamepad on NSMBU where it just mirrored the TV. But I'm loving it in Arkham Origins where i don't need to check the map screen every so often by pressing select.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Astro7x posted:

I really got nothing out of the gamepad on NSMBU where it just mirrored the TV. But I'm loving it in Arkham Origins where i don't need to check the map screen every so often by pressing select.

The best use of the gamepad seems to be Rayman Legends.

It's pretty good in WWHD also, sicne you can have it be your inventory screen.

I haven't opened SM3DW yet though, so maybe it's better there.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

The best use of the gamepad seems to be Rayman Legends.

It's pretty good in WWHD also, sicne you can have it be your inventory screen.

I haven't opened SM3DW yet though, so maybe it's better there.

SM3DW would still be an AMAZING game without the GamePad. Most of the game in fact doesn't even need it.

The levels that do require it are the worst levels in the game. In some cases they are legitimately un-fun to play and are only getting played just for the sake of being a completionist.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

fivegears4reverse posted:

SM3DW would still be an AMAZING game without the GamePad. Most of the game in fact doesn't even need it.

The levels that do require it are the worst levels in the game. In some cases they are legitimately un-fun to play and are only getting played just for the sake of being a completionist.

That's too bad. I thought the Rayman levels that used the Gamepad really benefited from it, and was hoping that SM3DW would be the same.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

That's too bad. I thought the Rayman levels that used the Gamepad really benefited from it, and was hoping that SM3DW would be the same.

That would require Nintendo to put in the same level of effort to integrate the GamePad with SM3DW's levels that UbiSoft did with Rayman.

The pad does do some neat stuff. You can stun many basic enemies with the pad, which makes an already mostly toothless set of baddies that much more helpless, and it can help you find invisible blocks if you're averse to ground pounding everywhere.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bushisms.txt posted:

the defacto game of 2013

Actual Nintendo Power reviews are less comically hyperbolic than this.

Go ahead and crucify me for this: the Wii U pad is good for nothing but screwing around on the web while you're watching a movie or some TV and that's it.

Pretty sure Nintendo themselves agree with you since their own games almost never use it for anything beyond maps and real-time inventory management. In retrospect even their stupid infatuation with the GBA-Gamecube link in the early 00s actually made better use of the second screen and was affiliated with better games than anything they've put out for the WiiU so far.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Honestly, I think it would be a lot better if Wii U games were designed around the fact there's a second screen that's also a touchscreen, and tried more to take advantage of that, like DS and 3DS games do, but it seems more like they want to make the tablet an alternate thing, like something you can play games on without the TV, as opposed to an integrated part of the games and system.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

icantfindaname posted:

You can get an original model PS3 or 360 for like $70 on ebay. And sorry, even if it is game of the year the 360 and PS3 have 6 games of the year at least. The WiiU is at least $100 overpriced, and honestly is worth no more than a new 360 or PS3, which as fischmech just posted go for like $180.
Yes, the one-year-old system is more expensive than the eight year old system. That isn't the damning indictment you seem to think it is. The components have been tallied up and we know that Nintendo is already selling the drat thing at a loss at $300--$200 would be absurd, and that's not even counting the pack-in titles.

Nobody (I don't think) is arguing that the Wii U is a better value proposition than the 7 and 8 year old consoles of this past generation, but if you've made it this long without having a PS3 or Xbox360 and want one now then you probably weren't going to get a gen eight console anyway.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ehh, I could see Mario being GotY runner-up behind GTA V. What else was there, AC IV and Saints Row? Those aren't exactly the biggest titles in gaming.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

TaurusOxford posted:

A world that has no games because they never heard of steam and only stuck with one system. In a barren world even a rain puddle will seem like an oasis that is blessed by the divine.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

Ehh, I could see Mario being GotY runner-up behind GTA V. What else was there, AC IV and Saints Row? Those aren't exactly the biggest titles in gaming.

The Last of Us is going to win all of the GOTY awards. I haven't actually played it but you can usually tell these things.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Bioshock Infinite is gonna win a ton of awards too. This wasnt really a slow year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cliff Racer posted:

You aren't really "into" videogames, are you?

• Locked thread