Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Plutonis posted:

Please keep the ASB cast for the next parts they were pretty awesome. Please please please! :pray:

Josuke's DOOOORARARARARARAAAAA is the greatest thing, if P4 gets made this better happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea, the DUWANG urban legend I always heard was that the guy was crazy and had insane output and would churn out a volume a week, and the english speaking guy proofreading for him didnt want to harsh his buzz and just said 'whatever'

Ok, I was pretty active at the Higher Voltage (HerV) forum, which was supposed to be mostly about fighting games but was mostly YCS, when VeggieH8ter, one of its members, and some other dude whose handle I forgot were doing the Duwang translations. At that time if you wanted to download Jojo (Part1-4) you would do it from a direct link at HerV.

My brother is still active in what is left of HerV so I'll have him ask some of the guys there about the whole story, because I don't remember it being a school project of any kind. The low quality was because, well, imagine YCS doing a translation and that's it.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 17, 2013

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

MelvinBison posted:

Your ASB dollars at work.
I'm buying a hundred copies of this game and the digital comics of Stardust Crusaders.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'll wait as long as it takes to get a perfect, proper adaption of Part 3.
The 1993 series got the Darby poker game and the fight with Dio (minus the missing steamroller) perfectly. Everything else... not so much.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Soulcleaver posted:

The 1993 series got the Darby poker game and the fight with Dio (minus the missing steamroller) perfectly. Everything else... not so much.

The whole desert fight was pretty accurate too.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Chapter 26 of Jojolion is TOP. SECRET. Looks like Yasuho's stand ability is "Plot Railroading" :haw: We have a second antagonist, apparently? He has a stand who looks vaguely like Killer Queen's outline.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Can Of Worms posted:

Chapter 26 of Jojolion is TOP. SECRET. Looks like Yasuho's stand ability is "Plot Railroading" :haw: We have a second antagonist, apparently? He has a stand who looks vaguely like Killer Queen's outline.
I got Kira vibes from him too. Maybe he somehow has the other half of Yoshikage Kira? But then who the hell is/was Jo2uke's other half? This series is painful at a monthly pace, now I know how SBR-readers must have felt, and we're only at chapter 26!

EDIT: Referring of course, to the half of Jo2uke that [Isn't Yoshikage Kira.] I know he has a half that is.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I got Kira vibes from him too. Maybe he somehow has the other half of Yoshikage Kira? But then who the hell is/was Jo2uke's other half? This series is painful at a monthly pace, now I know how SBR-readers must have felt, and we're only at chapter 26!

EDIT: Referring of course, to the half of Jo2uke that [Isn't Yoshikage Kira.] I know he has a half that is.

The problem with that being... Didn't they find Kira's corpse? Does Wall Eyes copy/paste things to other things or does it merge them?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Tobaccrow posted:

The problem with that being... Didn't they find Kira's corpse? Does Wall Eyes copy/paste things to other things or does it merge them?

They found a corpse that was half Kira.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kabanaw posted:

They found a corpse that was half Kira.
Yeah, the point is both halves of Kira are presumably accounted for.

I was getting really Kira-ish vibes from Yotsuyu Hagiyama too, but I don't see how it'd work out. And he's way too outgoing- showing himself like that- to be Kira.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh yeah, I completely forgot that happened. Thanks for pointing that out. Back to square one with the creepy new guy though. Makes sense now, his identity is fully Top. Secret. too.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
I'm not getting this Kira thing you guys are other than his general attitude. I'm getting more of an alternate Rohan feel. He works as an artist, he doesn't want anyone to know where he lives, he's interested in examining people's inner selves just filtered through stands this time, and his wanting social status is a turn on that Rohan wanted nothing to do with that. And both of them are really creepy.

Anyway, I'm interested in whether or not "he's gonna die again" has to do with the disease curse we just learned about. If it is first born lineage and Yasuho's hint that that's what's affecting Holly, then it makes sense that Kira probably had it or was going to have it. Maybe being combined with whoever to make Josuke had something to do with that?

Yeah, I'm lost. loving monthly updates :arghfist::sigh:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
He certainly seems like a more evil version of Rohan.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Araki mentioned in an interview that there'd be a crazy manga artist in Jojolion that wasn't Rohan.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

onepixeljumpman posted:

I'm not getting this Kira thing you guys are other than his general attitude. I'm getting more of an alternate Rohan feel. He works as an artist, he doesn't want anyone to know where he lives, he's interested in examining people's inner selves just filtered through stands this time, and his wanting social status is a turn on that Rohan wanted nothing to do with that. And both of them are really creepy.
I agree, His self-introduction definitely feels like Rohan and his leaf crown reminds me of Rohan's crown. He does have a stand(-like thing?) that vaguely resembles Killer Queen, so I think Araki wants us to *think* that he's related to Kira. His eyes he pulls the plastic wrap from also reminds me of Soft and Wet's eyes, so I think he's trying to make some connections regardless of whether or not they're true.

Some theories: If that outline is Killer Queen, then it could be that he has the ability to steal stand powers if he's not Kira, or alternatively, maybe he *is* the combination of Kira, Jo2uke, Killer Queen and whatever Soft and Wet used to be. That is to say, an independent stand that can look human... :aaa:

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 23, 2013

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Man, what's with Yasuho and her tendency to attract creepily possessive males? I know Stand users are destined to meet weird people, but she seems to get a specific type of weird. At least Yotsuyu isn't possessive of her, though trying to drown her is hardly any better.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't know why but I get the feeling Gappy might be made up of Johnny due to the mention of dying again and stuff. I dunno, I think it'd be neat if that were true since I imagine the question of who Gappy is made up of is PROBABLY an important plot point :v:

Aside from that, I still have no clue what the heck Tsurugi was going on about. So, every first born male in the higashikata family gets an illness at age 10 that slowly starts to turn them into stone or something, or every first born child period does since I guess Holly is suffering from it somehow, and I have no clue what was going on with Yasuho feeling "safe" or whatever. Was she drugged? And what about the weird hands in the tree trunk?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
At least we cleared up that "Lovestruck" nonsense. :toot:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

You know, "turning to stone" sounds a whole lot like what happened to Lucy after the holy body got inside her.

Edit: Also that mushroom pun was amazing.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 23, 2013

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~

FirstAidKite posted:

Aside from that, I still have no clue what the heck Tsurugi was going on about. So, every first born male in the higashikata family gets an illness at age 10 that slowly starts to turn them into stone or something, or every first born child period does since I guess Holly is suffering from it somehow, and I have no clue what was going on with Yasuho feeling "safe" or whatever. Was she drugged? And what about the weird hands in the tree trunk?

It seems like the 'disease' effects every firstborn male in the family at age 10, though they've discovered some way to treat it several generations ago. At the moment that's implied to be by swapping it out to somebody else much like johnny did originally with HIS son, presumably through some sort of stand power. It's interesting to note that all of the Higashikata stands so far have involved 'taking' things (Memories, Perception, parts) considering what we were told about the corpse earlier, as well as the simmilarities between the disease and Lucy once she absorbs all of the parts.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eiba posted:

Yeah, the point is both halves of Kira are presumably accounted for.

I was getting really Kira-ish vibes from Yotsuyu Hagiyama too, but I don't see how it'd work out. And he's way too outgoing- showing himself like that- to be Kira.

Kira was arrogant as hell he would say his name outloud quite a bit.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Multiple rape attempts last issue and now waterboarding? What is this, a Go Nagai comic?

Actually it owned and I can't wait for the next issue. For the first time in my life I'm caught up with Jojo and now my balls will be bluer than smurf poo poo just like everyone else in this thread.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Soulcleaver posted:

What is this, a Go Nagai comic?

Much as Dio rejected his humanity, Go Nagai rejected his sense of shame. He probably would've drawn the four balls.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I picked up the special edition of JoJoveller and looking into this thing, I swear to god Araki was trying to turn Dio into David Bowie, which is very bizarre as he already had Kira. Maybe not exactly Bowie, but man does Araki's increasing art style make some of the older characters feel different.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 27, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I thought that was Valentine at first.

I STILL think that's Valentine.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I thought that was Valentine at first.

I STILL think that's Valentine.

There's only one donut curl in his hair. Obviously not Mr President :patriot:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just finished Part 6. All I can say is holy poo poo :psyduck:

Looking forward to SBR, heard nothing but great things. I really enjoyed Pucci as a villain though, even if his stand(s) was basically "do random things to get random powers"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, that also fits Pucci, so the Stand reflects the User once again.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
How so? While the abilities themselves didn't make much sense, Pucci's motivations to achieve them worked just fine.

Also thinking back on it, Stone Ocean really had some of the best fight scenes, or at least some of the best settings for fights. Fighting while tossing a baseball back and forth, in zero gravity, while sideways, while flying around while holding onto a bullet, etc. I really hope some more Part 6 characters make it into ASB 2, I'd really like to see Foo Fighters, Weather Report, and maybe even some of the enemies they ran into like Jumpin' Jack Flash or Kenzou

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pucci's deal was following seemingly arbitrary instructions from Dio to achieve his goals. Also he's a priest, so you could read a lazy atheist joke in there I just now realized. I doubt that part is intentional.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I just finished reading Stone Ocean...

gently caress. :smith:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

legendsuper posted:

I just finished reading Stone Ocean...

gently caress. :smith:

Don't worry, I'm only a few volumes into Part 7 and holy christ I can see why people were hyping this up. This is already one of my favorite parts, and I'm barely a quarter of the way through.

I'm not sure how I feel about the ending of Stone Ocean, though, now that I've gotten some time to think on it. I guess everyone did get a happy ending, if only in an alternate dimension. What's the general consensus on it?

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 11, 2013

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Araki doesn't run out of ideas no matter how many decades pass. He's the most creative man on the planet, though you wouldn't know it from his character names.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I thought it was really weird at first, but over time I've grown to appreciate it. Usually universal resets are massive cop-outs (looking at you DC)but Steel Ball Run is fantastic and Jojolion is shaping up to be really good to, and they wouldn't be the same if there was no reset.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I thought Araki had massive balls to kill almost the entire cast, especially Jotaro, in such a way. No heroic sacrifice, no prolonged death scene or famous last words, and they're all just reduced to dust in "seconds" of accelerated time. It felt like a touch of realism, death can be easy and sudden and the heroes don't get to win just because they're the heroes. Same thing with Avdol's death in Part 3.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Star Platinum posted:

I thought Araki had massive balls to kill almost the entire cast, especially Jotaro, in such a way. No heroic sacrifice, no prolonged death scene or famous last words, and they're all just reduced to dust in "seconds" of accelerated time. It felt like a touch of realism, death can be easy and sudden and the heroes don't get to win just because they're the heroes. Same thing with Avdol's death in Part 3.

His first "death" was a bit of evil genius too. You get your breath back and then he just slams you right in the gut.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Star Platinum posted:

Or Narancia's in part 5. Now that you point it out it does seem to be a bit of a theme. Manages to be shocking each time as well.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I liked this universal reset because it's not out of nowhere. I mean, it WAS out of nowhere that Pucci could reset time, but it set up SBR being in its own new universe. At least, I think that's the case, since the Joestar family tree deviates at Jotaro and it would be really cool for the SBR universe to be somehow related to the original.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Araki said they are different universes and completely unrelated, but since he hasn't really established that in the story, he could change his mind at any time.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm hoping Pucci makes an appearance at some point. There's honestly no reason he couldn't, since he basically spent the first 13 billion years or so of the universe hanging out waiting for Emporio to get back to Green Dolphin Street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's very unlikely that Pucci is in fact part of the SBR universe since there's no concrete evidence that the original one reincarnated as it. Also I'm pretty sure both of them just ended up back at Green Dolphin in what amounts to five minutes.

• Locked thread