Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Darth Various posted:

Gogo Sweden. And Romania, apparently? Seriously, what is it with Romania being an island of supersurfers? At least Sweden, Lithuania and Latvia have almost as fast neighbours all around?
Romania was a late adapter, so they don't have a lot of old internet infrastructure like a lot of other countries. Might be the same in Nigeria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Why are Italians moving to Romania, exactly? Is it because the languages are mildly similar? :psyduck:

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005

computer parts posted:

There's a map in that post about Gini per county; I couldn't find a Chinese one with a good legend but here's internet penetration by province as of 2012:

compare with per capita GDP in 2011:

What's up with Inner Mongolia?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Koramei posted:

Like a third or so, iirc? Yeah many are urbanized, but it's still a major cultural thing. Not like Kazakhstan is some last bastion of civility, but there is more to it being bright blue than everybody being poor.

It just seems more plausible to attribute Kazakhstan's coefficient to some sort of Soviet cause, judging from that map all the post Soviet Republics are pretty similar, well except for Russia.

I tried checking how many Kazakhs are still pastoralists too, btw. It's surprisingly hard to dig up statistics on the issue but as a point of comparison, only 30% of Mongolians work in agriculture/animal husbandry, source, and the percentage that could be called pastoralists should be somewhat smaller than that figure. Only 25% of kazakhstan's labor force participates in agriculture, many or most of whom grow wheat and cotton or other crops. Sources I found dealing with issues relevant to pastoralists hardly even mentioned Kazakhstan, which would be odd if it had one of the highest percentages of modern pastoralists in the world.

Traditional pastoralists were collectivized by Stalin in the 1930s and animal husbandry was conducted in accordance with principles of Soviet central planning until the 1990s when much of the economy was privatized.

In any case, I'm not convinced pastoralism limits economic inequality. The accumulation of livestock can produce large inequalities of property between individuals, from which cultural justifications for inequality can arise.

Note this map is out of date, today Russians only represent 23% of the population of modern Kazakhstan, due mostly to massive emigration since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QVC Drinking Game posted:

Not a lot of people and a shitload of mining. The Beijing Hillbillies is coming soon to a TV near you.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

QVC Drinking Game posted:

A population that isn't too high combined with a whole lot of resource extraction probably makes its GDP per capita come out higher than it otherwise would be. It's not as developed or urbanized as the richest eastern provinces though.
e:beaten

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 22, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Amused to Death posted:

A population that isn't too high combined with a whole lot of resource extraction probably makes its GDP per capita come out higher than it otherwise would be. It's not as developed or urbanized as the richest eastern provinces though.

It's the same idea as Wyoming:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Google Street View coverage in Europe. In Germany it was possible for house owners to make Google pixelate their property, which eventually led to hundreds of thousands of people writing letters to Google. Instead of cutting out the house images (what they only did in major cities), they actually stopped the project in Germany.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
I love the corridor there between St Petersburg and Moscow.

e:
To also post a map:
http://www.kbr.be/collections/cart_plan/ferraris/ferraris_nl.html

This is the Atlas Ferraris, a huge map of what is now Belgium made by the Austrian military. Although it might look that way, it is not detailed to the level of a single house. The black rectangles that look like they denote a single house actually mark a 'built-up area'.

Antwan3K fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 22, 2013

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Faber posted:

Google Street View coverage in Europe. In Germany it was possible for house owners to make Google pixelate their property, which eventually led to hundreds of thousands of people writing letters to Google. Instead of cutting out the house images (what they only did in major cities), they actually stopped the project in Germany.

People in Japan also flipped their poo poo about street view and got the government involved and Google eventually ended up having to redo large areas of the country with the camera at a lower height to avoid photographing peoples' backyards over their walls. They got in trouble again the year before last for tracking Wi-Fi activity data, which led to MIAC sending a curt, yet veiled warning to knock it off and purge their records or face legal action for non-compliance with the telecommunications secrecy provisions of the Telecommunications Business Act.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Antwan3K posted:

I love the corridor there between St Petersburg and Moscow.

Very little has changed in Russia in the last century, it seems.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Protocol 5 posted:

People in Japan also flipped their poo poo about street view and got the government involved and Google eventually ended up having to redo large areas of the country with the camera at a lower height to avoid photographing peoples' backyards over their walls. They got in trouble again the year before last for tracking Wi-Fi activity data, which led to MIAC sending a curt, yet veiled warning to knock it off and purge their records or face legal action for non-compliance with the telecommunications secrecy provisions of the Telecommunications Business Act.

Similar thing with the Wifi poo poo also happened in Germany.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Is there a reason why Google has street view for all of Switzerland, except for Zurich?

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

QuoProQuid posted:

Is there a reason why Google has street view for all of Switzerland, except for Zurich?

What are you talking about? Zürich is covered and it's clearly to the north of that empty blob. The areas not covered in Switzerland are not covered because there's no point in covering bumfuck nowhere mountain regions.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Skeleton Jelly posted:

What are you talking about? Zürich is covered and it's clearly to the north of that empty blob. The areas not covered in Switzerland are not covered because there's no point in covering bumfuck nowhere mountain regions.

It looks like I misread the map. Sorry.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Darth Various posted:

Gogo Sweden. And Romania, apparently? Seriously, what is it with Romania being an island of supersurfers? At least Sweden, Lithuania and Latvia have almost as fast neighbours all around?

The internet in Romania has had a somewhat unique history. Even since communist times we've had a pretty large population of nerds who would self teach themselves about computers, programming, etc; then in the 90s and early 00s when the only internet available to most was lovely dial-up from the state owned phone company, these nerds started creating thousands of the so-called "Retele de cartier" (neighborhood networks) which were basically a group of guys buying broadband wholesale and then selling it to neighbors, these mini-ISPs had subscribers ranging from a few dozens to thousands. And since copyright-infringement is a national sport around here, those neighborhood networks were a huge hit cause you only needed one guy to download something from the outside internet for the others in the network to have access to it at LAN speeds.

Then this Romanian company called RCS/RDS, which was the biggest cable operator in the country, started offering internet through their cable infrastructure and they expanded by buying all those neighborhood networks. Then since about 2006 they started pouring all the money they could borrow into upgrading their infrastructure to FTTH (while spending nothing on marketing and keeping prices very low) and that strategy worked since today they have over 50% of the internet market share and their fiber service is available in pretty much all urban Romania and even some rural areas.
Western ISPs tried entering the market, but they brought ancient tech like DSL at hilariously high prices, and when they realized they can't compete with RDS they too had to invest in fiber and lower prices.

Anyway, to understand why we have some pretty fast internet you only have to take a look at the 4 data plans that RDS offers to it's 50% market share:
1Gbit at $18/month
500Mbit at $15/month
100Mbit at $12/month
50Mbit at $9/month

I'm pretty sure if we only had western owned ISPs, the internet here would be way slower and more expensive, so we just got lucky I guess.

SWITCH HITLER posted:

Why are Italians moving to Romania, exactly? Is it because the languages are mildly similar? :psyduck:

Most of them own shops or other small businesses or are involved in agriculture, I guess for those Italians looking for opportunities and a much cheaper life in Eastern Europe it's way easier to learn Romanian rather than Bulgarian, Polish or whatever.

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle

Donkwich posted:

Alabamans won't pass up the chance to slap a black thing around.

e: And here are the Gini coefficients of US counties.

Sorry for jumping in so late, but the amount of classism in Alabama and the South in general is easy to miss what with all the racism and so. I grew up north east of Birmingham and one would be quite shocked to hear how often the phrase "a good one" is still used. Here's a hint, if 'they' are middle class or above they get honorary white status. Yes, it is actually that ugly sometimes. And white people who are poor get accused of 'acting black.' Moralizing poverty is one of the best defenses for not fixing structural problems.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Faber posted:

I may sound weird but that is really dumb. Do they have a giant shower curtain in front of their house too?

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

Peanut President posted:

I may sound weird but that is really dumb. Do they have a giant shower curtain in front of their house too?

They just have different views on privacy in Germany. First the Gestapo, then the Stasi. It's all a little understandable. You too would probably find it disconcerting that a private company is essentially conducting a massive intelligence gathering operation.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Amused to Death posted:

Right, and GDP per capita can be somewhat misleading as it only denotes the value created in a certain region. It doesn't necessarily mean that all of this wealth flows back to the people who actually live in that region, nor does it say anything about income equality.

That's why the capital regions on this map are mostly dark, while usually also having higher unemployment and poverty rates.

Source: Eurostat's Statistics Explained, which is a goldmine for this type of map.

Antwan3K posted:

This is the Atlas Ferraris, a huge map of what is now Belgium made by the Austrian military. Although it might look that way, it is not detailed to the level of a single house. The black rectangles that look like they denote a single house actually mark a 'built-up area'.

I got this for my dad's birthday a couple of years ago, it's a very interesting atlas.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Phlegmish posted:

I got this for my dad's birthday a couple of years ago, it's a very interesting atlas.

I looked it up. It's so loving expensive :negative:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I am a good son. :c00lbert: But I would imagine it's not very interesting if you're not from or familiar with Belgium, so you can actually compare it with the current situation.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

3peat posted:

Internet speeds! (from speedtest, so probably not completely accurate)

Interactive map here http://www.netindex.com/ . I find it interesting that Nigeria has a higher average than the US

If the UK is anything to go by this thing is kinda too simple to really illustrate the state of telecom infrastructure.

In the UK you have the choice of either ADSL over old copper wiring, fiber in selected areas or Cable again in selected areas. Our cable companies have changed a few times and the current survivor gave up expansion and has basically said it will never ever expand coverage. Yes it failed to cover a tiny country like the UK. Broadband of any type has been horrifically slow expanding outside of cities and despite the small size of the country it seems companies just arbitrarily won't expand into areas labeled "rural". Rural in the UK is 10 feet outside a city limits or whenever you see the first sheep. If you do live in a fiber area then you have to hope that the last mile line is up to scratch. BT, the countries one line operator, hasn't upgraded the copper wiring........ ever. The fiber goes to the local green box but if the wire to your house, which will still be copper wiring from 1805, is hosed then you're screwed. The cable operator provides the best speeds but is known for their heavy handed traffic shaping.

tl;dr The UK is bad at everything including the internet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Regarde Aduck posted:

If the UK is anything to go by this thing is kinda too simple to really illustrate the state of telecom infrastructure.

In the UK you have the choice of either ADSL over old copper wiring, fiber in selected areas or Cable again in selected areas. Our cable companies have changed a few times and the current survivor gave up expansion and has basically said it will never ever expand coverage. Yes it failed to cover a tiny country like the UK. Broadband of any type has been horrifically slow expanding outside of cities and despite the small size of the country it seems companies just arbitrarily won't expand into areas labeled "rural". Rural in the UK is 10 feet outside a city limits or whenever you see the first sheep. If you do live in a fiber area then you have to hope that the last mile line is up to scratch. BT, the countries one line operator, hasn't upgraded the copper wiring........ ever. The fiber goes to the local green box but if the wire to your house, which will still be copper wiring from 1805, is hosed then you're screwed. The cable operator provides the best speeds but is known for their heavy handed traffic shaping.

tl;dr The UK is bad at everything including the internet.

The same things happen in the US although at least our definition of rural is slightly farther out.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

If you do live in a fiber area then you have to hope that the last mile line is up to scratch. BT, the countries one line operator, hasn't upgraded the copper wiring........ ever. The fiber goes to the local green box but if the wire to your house, which will still be copper wiring from 1805, is hosed then you're screwed.

BT do actually offer fiber-to-the-premises in a few areas, which is fantastic if you can get it, but obviously it's even more geographically limited than their FTTC coverage.

I'd post a map here, but there don't seem to be any up-to-date maps showing which exchanges are enabled for FTTP vs FTTC vs stuck in the dark ages, thanks to BT being aggressively protective of the data.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.
I remember this from Tim Worstall a couple of years ago: Attention metal thieves: Buy BT, get 75 MILLION miles of copper (Telco is worth less than its expensive assets).

quote:

British Telecom is, as a telecoms company, worth minus £30bn. Yes, that's a negative number there. And yet it is literally sitting on top of billions in assets.

It all starts with this point made in relation to cable theft: BT’s network relies on more than 75 million miles of copper cable

People are stealing the cable, as we all know, because the metal is incredibly valuable. Strip the sleeve off the cable, drop it off at an accommodating scrap yard and get paid in cash. And as BT themselves say, (and yes, I've checked that they really do mean this) they've 75 million miles of this stuff festooning the countryside.

Ten pairs of copper cabling weighs around 132kg per mile. Which by the miracle of multiplication can be seen to be about 10 million tonnes of copper. Which, at current LME prices of just over £5,000 a tonne, is £50bn.

BT's current market capitalisation is just north of £20bn. So, as an operating telecoms company they're worth £30bn less than the mountain of copper they're sitting upon: that is, they're worth less than the physical assets or they have, as a telecoms company not a mountain of scrap copper, a negative value.

OK, OK, yes, this isn't quite right. There's labour involved in digging up all that copper, not all of it will be 10 pair (some of it will be heavier, 25 pairs or 50 pairs), not all of a cable is copper and copper wire scrap doesn't get the LME price.

However, we are still in the right ballpark here: the value of the copper in the wires is of the same sort of order of magnitude as the value of the company as a whole. Which leads us to two useful conclusions.

Firstly, there is a good reason why no one is ever again going to wire an entire country with copper. Fibre makes more sense now, as does going entirely mobile and ditching a landline network. Developing countries certainly aren't going to want to buy that much copper.

Secondly, it's a shocking indictment of Britain's criminal classes. Really, why is anyone bothering to go and nick a few miles of the stuff when you could buy the company and take it all? Asset-strip BT and come out with more money after selling the copper than the company cost you in the first place.

That's the problem we've got with the young people of today: no ambition.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

http://publicradiomap.com/

These aren't definite reception zones, just approximations from station power, geography, and antenna direction (apparently there's some magic you can do to attenuate signals in certain directions?) I get two stations that I'm outside the zones for and tend to get lousy reception on my local public affiliate.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Stolen from the UK megathread.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Farecoal posted:

So who exactly do those three Canadian cardinals minister to if Canada has no Catholics? Or is that top 10 also?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Farecoal posted:

So...the Catholic Church is pretty racist, apparently. :stare:

Badger of Basra posted:

So who exactly do those three Canadian cardinals minister to if Canada has no Catholics? Or is that top 10 also?

Quebec. 12 million Catholics in Canada, so not enough to put them in the map apparently. I mean, all of the South American countries have millions of Catholics.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

So...the Catholic Church is pretty racist, apparently. :stare:

Quebec. 12 million Catholics in Canada, so not enough to put them in the map apparently. I mean, all of the South American countries have millions of Catholics.
Only around half the Catholics in Canada are in Quebec, though they by far have the greatest concentration.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I didn't think that India of all places would be overrepresented in the College of Cardinals.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kainser posted:

I didn't think that India of all places would be overrepresented in the College of Cardinals.

India has almost 20 million Catholics. I mean, they're overrepresented sure, when compared to countries that don't seem to have almost any Cardinals but a lot more Catholics. But India has surprisingly many Catholics, more then Canada on that map.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
It's also apparently a list of voting cardinals for a papal conclave, which is to say those under 80. I think this is presently about half of the total list of cardinals, so if you counted all of them it would look different. I imagine South America and Africa will still be really underrepresented compared to Europe, possibly even moreso, but there's still a distinction between how many places have cardinals and how many of those at any moment are allowed to vote for a pope.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Perhaps if that poo poo was proportional, South America wouldn't be going Evangelical. Would have to appoint a ton of cardinals to make it proportional though.

Kainser posted:

Looks like some Papal scribe accidentally switched India and the Philippines around at some point.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
To be fair, the enthusiasm for tying your church to the Roman Curia is probably heavily tied to your church's actual local threats. If you are in an area where being Roman Catholic is as controversial as breathing air and drinking water, then there's not much point trying to nab the support of Rome. You'd just as easily get Roman interests trumping your own instead.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_of_Cardinals#Cardinals_by_nationality

Europe is pretty ridiculously overrepresented. Nearly 60% of Cardinals but less then 30% of Catholics.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Kainser posted:

They might have a couple who used to be from the Portuguese Empire but are now part of India.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ronya posted:

To be fair, the enthusiasm for tying your church to the Roman Curia is probably heavily tied to your church's actual local threats. If you are in an area where being Roman Catholic is as controversial as breathing air and drinking water, then there's not much point trying to nab the support of Rome. You'd just as easily get Roman interests trumping your own instead.
But isn't the Roman Curia made up of people from the Catholic community of their respective countries? I don't see why it would be so terrible for Latin/South America to be tied closer to Rome, if it meant Rome was much more receptive to the interests of Latin/South American Catholics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But isn't the Roman Curia made up of people from the Catholic community of their respective countries? I don't see why it would be so terrible for Latin/South America to be tied closer to Rome, if it meant Rome was much more receptive to the interests of Latin/South American Catholics.

Because it can't be receptive enough to beat the opportunity to exercise the de facto doctrinal independence created by the absence of democratic legitimacy of Rome. If your community of Catholics is ideologically rather different from the ideology of Catholics worldwide, then there's not much point aggressively promoting a democratic authority of the cardinals. Why let John Paul II lecture you on adhering to the Western side of the Cold War, or joining third-way neoliberalization thereafter, when you can instead remain comfortably in a populist-socialist sphere?