Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SiB posted:

Why can't we have this in North America????? I would trade in my GM 1/2ton instantly.

http://youtu.be/RSzb5gb8jgY

Check out the Chevy Colorado that was just unveiled this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

SiB posted:

Why can't we have this in North America????? I would trade in my GM 1/2ton instantly.

http://youtu.be/RSzb5gb8jgY

I sat in one of these when in Thailand and I thought the exact same thing :(
Shame we will never be getting those.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Larrymer posted:

Check out the Chevy Colorado that was just unveiled this week.
I was excited as hell when I saw that. I want the new Colorado to be good. I know it's possible for it to be an incredible little truck. But I also know that GM is probably going to ruin it in about 200 different ways.
So I'm still shopping for a Taco.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012
I picked up my Mazda6 sport this week. Pretty nice, really impressive for the lowest trim. The only things so far I don't like is the headlights aren't auto on/off and that I don't have navigation, but the navigation button is still there.

Stolennosferatu fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 23, 2013

SiB
May 6, 2005

Stolennosferatu posted:

I picked up my Mazda6 sport this week. Pretty nice, really impressive for the lowest trim. The only things so far I don't like is the headlights aren't auto on/off and that I don't have navigation, but the navigation button is still there.

You can add the nav kit.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
My little brother just shipped out to Ft. Sill on Tuesday, and until he reaches his first (semi) permanent duty station I've been designated caretaker of his '08 MS3, about 5-6 months. He has a laundry list of things he wants me to do once he has money to do it with, but for starters he's been having an issue where there's a momentary loss of power when changing gears. I've only experienced it going from second to third, its like the car is in gear and the throttle is closed for an instant and then you're accelerating again.

Is this a common issue or am I going to be chasing a gremlin?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Geoj posted:

My little brother just shipped out to Ft. Sill on Tuesday, and until he reaches his first (semi) permanent duty station I've been designated caretaker of his '08 MS3, about 5-6 months. He has a laundry list of things he wants me to do once he has money to do it with, but for starters he's been having an issue where there's a momentary loss of power when changing gears. I've only experienced it going from second to third, its like the car is in gear and the throttle is closed for an instant and then you're accelerating again.

Is this a common issue or am I going to be chasing a gremlin?

Instant things that come to my mind are either:
EGR valve (needing to clean/replace it feels similar to fuel cut, check for those symptoms)
Vacuum leak

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, bought the 09 M3 "GT SPORT" :haw:

Picking her up next weekend once she gets the go-over by the dealership. They're going to change the brakes and detail her, etc.

A pleasure to test-drive. 2.3L put out enough oomph for me to be impressed (considering I drive a 1.8L Toyota Matrix right now). Everything in that cabin feels so second nature and well placed, I just felt at home in the driver's seat. No sunroof but c'est la vie! I drove a few other 3s, ranging from 06 to 2010 and I can honestly say that I think I made the right decision.

Also, I couldn't see for poo poo reversing in a 3 sedan. Maybe I've just become too accustomed to having the big rear windshield of a hatchback, first with the Matrix and now with the 3 Hatch, but I felt like I was backing up blind when I drove a sedan.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 24, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's gonna get harder to back up now too with most cars (even the 2014 3 hatch) as the belt-line goes higher, but at least rear-view cameras are slowly becoming more common (although the legislated mandatory introduction in the U.S. is always being pushed back).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For me it was the rear frame pillars that were in the way. Both hatches I've driven are pretty window-y back there, but the 3 Sedan felt like it was all frame. I was thankful for the little window I got, but I wasn't ever really sure where the rear corners of my vehicle were :[

She's a little dirty here, but she's mine :3:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CharlesM posted:

It's gonna get harder to back up now too with most cars (even the 2014 3 hatch) as the belt-line goes higher, but at least rear-view cameras are slowly becoming more common (although the legislated mandatory introduction in the U.S. is always being pushed back).

I goofed with a '14 hatch at the LA auto show today and you can not see a fuckin' thing out of that tiny rear window without the cameras. So what I'm sayin is get the cameras. Which is kinda open advice to any brand new car buyer. Them windows are gettin tiny.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Cygni posted:

I goofed with a '14 hatch at the LA auto show today and you can not see a fuckin' thing out of that tiny rear window without the cameras. So what I'm sayin is get the cameras. Which is kinda open advice to any brand new car buyer. Them windows are gettin tiny.

What is up with the tiny windows trend? Is it designers that are pushing for it or some safety issue?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just threw a P2188 in the 6. "Running too rich at idle." But I was moving at the time. Oh well, I cleared it for now, running the Miata in for some work tomorrow so I'll set up a time to have it looked at then.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
Just an FYI: If anyone has a 2014 Mazda3 with the Mazda Connect Infotainment system; there is a new software update available. I'm at my dealership now, should only take 45 minutes or so they said.

Word is it solves a lot of issues like random reboots, the horrid drunken turn by turn voice guidance and Bluetooth connection problems, among other things.
Personally I have had very little problems but figured it can't hurt.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Stolennosferatu posted:

What is up with the tiny windows trend? Is it designers that are pushing for it or some safety issue?

I test drove a Veloster Turbo a few months ago, and the rear window was so small I found it almost useless. It was like the shrinking hallway in that Simpsons episode where they rebuilt their house after a tornado. I also keep my rear headrests down in my Speed3 or else I find my visibility plummets.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Stolennosferatu posted:

It's a consequence of a design trend for sedans since the late 2000's I think? For all manufacturers. High rear bumper, shortened trunk, C pillar that extends almost all the way to the tails... Sedans that look like hatches. So take that high-bumper feature and put it on an actual hatch, tiny window as a result.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Steel holds up better in a crash than glass, so higher beltlines = more steel next to passengers = better safety ratings. As far as the rear deck, I'd bet it's more to do with aerodynamics - making the trunk on that "sedan" as short and high as possible, makes it more like a kammback / hatchback.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is there to watch out for with the Protege5?
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4204798448.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Every Protege5 I've seen on the road in the past month has basically had the worst case of rusty rear end that I've ever seen.

Though I hear that's a Mazda problem in general.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Martytoof posted:

Every Protege5 I've seen on the road in the past month has basically had the worst case of rusty rear end that I've ever seen.

Though I hear that's a Mazda problem in general.

I live in Arizona, I've never seen a car with rust. ;) I'll keep that in mind though.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

BlackMK4 posted:

I live in Arizona, I've never seen a car with rust. ;) I'll keep that in mind though.

Or a clear-coat, for that matter. :cheeky:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

You will. These cars could rust in a room purged of oxygen. They'd rot in the vacuum of loving space. They'd find a way.

Check around the hatch badges (Mazda drilled through the e-dip/galvanized metal to fit them) as well as the rear fender liners (classic salt/moisture trap, combined with classic Mazda spot welded seams and inadequate rocker drainage) and all exposed body seams.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You will. These cars could rust in a room purged of oxygen. They'd rot in the vacuum of loving space. They'd find a way.

Check around the hatch badges (Mazda drilled through the e-dip/galvanized metal to fit them) as well as the rear fender liners (classic salt/moisture trap, combined with classic Mazda spot welded seams and inadequate rocker drainage) and all exposed body seams.

240z the second? :v: How are they mechanically?

treizebee posted:

Or a clear-coat, for that matter. :cheeky:
Ugh, don't get me started about clearcoats here. :unsmigghh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My Corksport fuel pump internals have shipped!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Did they fix that with the new ones? The dealer keeps reassuring me that those problems are old news but I dont trust them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy balls guys. I picked up my new (to me) 2009 GT Sport today.

I don't know how much of this is just the rush of buying a new thing but: I love my auto mobile.

I know the 2.3L isn't going to be breaking any land speed records, esp. with an auto trans., but coming from a 1.8L Toyota Matrix this thing has some OOMPH. I put my foot on the pedal and the car WENT. I'm sure that sounds silly to anyone with a turbo or whatever, but I am enjoyin' this engine :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 4, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You bought an auto?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Sounds like he's got a MZ3, not a MS3.

And also GT/Sport are totally different trims, that's kinda .. :confused:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, just a bone stock MZ3.

As for the trim thing, yeah, I don't really know. I'm going off of what is on my invoice :haw:

I ran the VIN earlier in the week but I'll be damned if I remember what it spat out. I'll have to do that tomorrow if I can remember.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No I knew he didn't get a Speed, I just swore he said he was getting a stick.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Like I said earlier, in Canada Sport just means it is 5-door. GT is the trim. They have different trim levels than the U.S. also.

I love my 2.3L also, although I have it in stickshift. Never test drove the automatic.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah yeah, OK that's probably right then. I'll still run the VIN because now I'm just plain curious :haw:

Rhyno posted:

No I knew he didn't get a Speed, I just swore he said he was getting a stick.

There were a few cars I was looking at, but in the end the auto won me over because of commute reasons and such. I'm not any kind of power driver so I don't think I'll regret the decision, though I did enjoy test driving the stick.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think you will be very happy. I love my car and have had it since new. It is 3 years older too. It's been very good to me. It's very practical and returns good mileage despite me enjoying the run up to 60mph... :angel:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I think you will be very happy. I love my car and have had it since new. It is 3 years older too. It's been very good to me. It's very practical and returns good mileage despite me enjoying the run up to 60mph... :angel:
Same. Mine's an '06 2.3L (stick) and I bought it new. I'm curious to see how my opinion of the car changes past 80,000 miles but so far it's treated me very well.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I was worried about performance going down to the 2.3 NA from a Turbo, but was pleasantly surprised by its pep too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

Did they fix that with the new ones? The dealer keeps reassuring me that those problems are old news but I dont trust them.

I've only seen one Mazda 3 on the roads with substantial cancer and it was an out-of-province sedan that looked like someone had poured airplane remover all over it before kicking it into a salt bath for a month. Every panel had enormous surface rust. Most of the rusty ones have a little bit of rear quarter rust or nastiness on the seams near an obvious rear-end repair. For some reason the sedans seem to be worse than the hatchbacks, anecdotally.

I'd say if you keep on top of washing it you should be fine, or at least not worse off than if you bought some other car in the same class.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah actually I did notice that it's usually the Hatches that survive a little better in the MZ3 era. Conversely, just about every Protege5 I see on the road has terrible rot near the badge on the tailgate as well as wheel wells that aren't well at all.

So far my only knock on the car is that the stock headrest isn't very comfortable. I'd love something that fits into the crook of my neck instead of something that pushes on the top of my head. No big deal.

Also I have no idea whether my rain sensor is broken or not sensitive enough or wasn't hooked up right when they replaced the windshield at the dealership because I noticed a chip. I have the knob set to "Auto" but none of the spritz or spray has managed to trigger it yet. I haven't tested it with a spray bottle or anything but I'll probably hit the dealership this weekend just to have them look at it if I can't figure it out before then. I can see the little spot on the window where the sensor sits and the mirror is mounted on a big black box on the windshield so I assume the sensor is physically there.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 4, 2013

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Also I have no idea whether my rain sensor is broken or not sensitive enough or wasn't hooked up right when they replaced the windshield at the dealership because I noticed a chip. I have the knob set to "Auto" but none of the spritz or spray has managed to trigger it yet. I haven't tested it with a spray bottle or anything but I'll probably hit the dealership this weekend just to have them look at it if I can't figure it out before then. I can see the little spot on the window where the sensor sits and the mirror is mounted on a big black box on the windshield so I assume the sensor is physically there.

FYI when you adjust the sensitivity you have to turn the wipers off then back to auto again for the change to take effect. I thought mine were useless until I read this somewhere. They actually work pretty well, I usually leave them on the second most sensitive setting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Where do you adjust sensitivity? I don't recall ever seeing anything like that on my '07 MS3 GT.

Funny enough, the auto-wipers and auto-lights are actually things I miss about that car (aside from the sheer insanity of 260hp to the front wheels).

In other MZR news, my sister-in-law ended up buying a '14 Mazda3 Touring. She did get the wrong bodystyle (sedan, not hatch) but at least she got the right transmission. Those cars are damned nice in person, and I might finagle a drive in it once she gets past the breakin period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Where do you adjust sensitivity? I don't recall ever seeing anything like that on my '07 MS3 GT.
There's a dial on the stem that has a + on one end and - on the other. You turn that.

opengl128 posted:

FYI when you adjust the sensitivity you have to turn the wipers off then back to auto again for the change to take effect. I thought mine were useless until I read this somewhere.