Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

A Link Between Worlds is just great. I didn't really have any expectations for the game, in fact, I kinda panned it when it was first announced (something along the lines of "looks just like A Link To the Past, and even takes place in that Hyrule? Very original, Nintendo.") Eating my words now, but I don't care. Great game. Even the loving water temple is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Badly Jester posted:

Trailer for A-Train 3D

So uh, not that I think this is going to make it outside of Japan anyway, but does anybody speak Japanese? What is this?

It's a Japanese Transport Tycoon with a long list of releases for different platforms spanning several decades.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Alright, just got my ZELDA 3dsxl! This thing's been out a while, right? Time to rip into that sweet treasure trove of good games that have been out long enough to be cheap!

Guys?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Picked up my gold 3ds, and am happily playing the new Zelda. So far I love how much it feels like playing LTTP again. Changes I like so far. I love that link moves way fast. It feels like you won't ever need to use Pegasus boots for travel. Combat feels pretty much the same.

What I don't like about it. It's still as easy as LTTP. And while normally that would not bother me, the item rental thing is making this game a cake walk. I rented every single Item I could so right off the bat I have all items barring any that are not accessible at the beginning of the game. And this is where the not liking the difficulty comes in. You keep all rented items until you die. Now I'm not saying I am zelda god and will never die. But it is rare for me to do so. I'm through the first 3 dungeons and so far it has been a cake walk :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

signalnoise posted:

Alright, just got my ZELDA 3dsxl! This thing's been out a while, right? Time to rip into that sweet treasure trove of good games that have been out long enough to be cheap!

Guys?

Trove of good games? Definitely. Cheap? Not so much :shobon:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Guys?

I think the 3DS has a pretty decent backlog of games. I've got:

Fire Emblem: Awakening
Super Mario 3D Land
Luigi's Mansion 2
Pokemon Y
Mario Kart 7
Virtue's Last Reward
New Super Mario Bros 2
Mario + Luigi: Dream Team
Animal Crossing
Professor Layton 5 + 6
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Paper Mario
Ocarina of Time 3D
Bit.Trip Saga
Resident Evil Revelations
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Mario Tennis
Ace Attorney 5

There are some good eShop games too

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I think the 3DS has a pretty decent backlog of games. I've got:

Yeah no doubt but average price is still 30-40 :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Well yeah.

1. It's the current gen handheld.
2. It's Nintendo.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

If you are around Saturday, I can give to you then. That's when I'm picking up my copy. :)

This won't be necessary anymore nice goon sir. They were able to give me a code despite whatever random guy it was the other day telling me I couldn't get one.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

Just a heads up, North American Club Nintendo put out a trio of ALBW posters for five hundred coins: https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/42502.do

They look pretty nice if you ask me.

signalnoise posted:

Yeah no doubt but average price is still 30-40 :(

You can get a used copy of Resident Evil: Revelations for around twelve dollars at GameStop. It's probably the best-looking game on the 3DS and has excellent multiplayer. The eShop has started having sales almost all the time, and most (non-retail) games are under $10 if digital purchase doesn't bother you.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

couldcareless posted:

This won't be necessary anymore nice goon sir. They were able to give me a code despite whatever random guy it was the other day telling me I couldn't get one.

Well if you aren't going to use it, and he doesn't want it, the I would love the code.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
^^ Oops, stopped my post to take a call and missed it ^^

couldcareless posted:

I'd call second dibs if he's backing out 😄 and you're feeling generous.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Dang is there any reason at all to pre-order from best buy? It seems that they just shipped the zelda bundle yesterday so there's no way I'm getting it today... When I opted for store pick-up it was unavailable when I placed the order but it's now available! Great! I shoulda just walked into the store and got it and have it all squared away in 10 minutes rather than wait 4-8 business days for it to be delivered!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Well yeah.

1. It's the current gen handheld.
2. It's Nintendo.

Just kinda weird coming from Wii U ownership, as even those games drop 40-50% or so in price after a while (if they aren't first party at least). I kinda was hoping for a Nintendo Selects program or something at least. Fortunately I'm only in this for a handful of games.

bacalou posted:

You can get a used copy of Resident Evil: Revelations for around twelve dollars at GameStop. It's probably the best-looking game on the 3DS and has excellent multiplayer. The eShop has started having sales almost all the time, and most (non-retail) games are under $10 if digital purchase doesn't bother you.

Thanks for this, are there any other good games in this price range? And by 10 bucks are you talking first party at all?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

signalnoise posted:

Just kinda weird coming from Wii U ownership, as even those games drop 40-50% or so in price after a while (if they aren't first party at least). I kinda was hoping for a Nintendo Selects program or something at least. Fortunately I'm only in this for a handful of games.

Thanks for this, are there any other good games in this price range? And by 10 bucks are you talking first party at all?

Just keep your ear to the ground. There's been some real oddball sales and stuff where it's like "Hey, buy any two games from this list and get any game from this list free" or like the SMT/FIRE EMBLEM deal where if you bought Fire Emblem and registered it then did the same with SMT4 when it came out they gave you 30 dollars in credit you could put on your WiiU or 3DS.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

whalestory posted:

Dang is there any reason at all to pre-order from best buy? It seems that they just shipped the zelda bundle yesterday so there's no way I'm getting it today... When I opted for store pick-up it was unavailable when I placed the order but it's now available! Great! I shoulda just walked into the store and got it and have it all squared away in 10 minutes rather than wait 4-8 business days for it to be delivered!

Here is the one bonus, call them up and have them price match the 2 day deal walmart has right now and they'll refund you $20 plus tax. I just did this a couple hours ago.

On wal-mart's website go to weekly ads, list by category and go to page two. If they just search for the bundle it will be the normal price because the sale price is good in stores only.

Stay strong, hopefully we'll have our consoles and Zelda before thanksgiving (estimated delivery for me is the day before).

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

signalnoise posted:

Here are some good games on the eShop under or around ten dollars that I have on my system. There are others out there, but I have no experience with them and can't really recommend them in good faith. I won't list any Virtual Console titles because you can determine if you like those on your own.

Aeroporter
Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale
Cave Story
Crashmo
Crimson Shroud
Gunman Clive
Ikachan
Kersploosh!
Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (First Party)
Pushmo
SteamWorld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt
The Starship Damrey

I'd highly recommend Gunman Clive, as it's two dollars and basically wild west Mega Man.

Here is a full list of the titles available on Nintendo's website: https://www.nintendo.com/games/gameGuide?system=3ds&download=download&age=18&sort=title&view=grid

They are also holding weekly sales based around a specific character, which you can read about here: http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers

And finally, if you're looking for a concise list of Virtual Console games available on the 3DS, you can go here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Nintendo_3DS_%28North_America%29

Hope that helps.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

couldcareless posted:

That's good to hear. :)

Well then, If anyone wants to trade their club Nintendo code for a copy of Seasons, I'd appreciate it. Found some Brain Age games with the codes so now I only need 50 coins for plat. But if anyone couldn't get a code, let me know. I'd be glad to help you out.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Really wish the eShop had a progress bar on downloads so I knew how long until I can play Zelda.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sockser posted:

Really wish the eShop had a progress bar on downloads so I knew how long until I can play Zelda.

The download animation is a progress bar.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

The download animation is a progress bar.

Using Download Later will give you an actual percentage too.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

McFunkerson posted:

Here is the one bonus, call them up and have them price match the 2 day deal walmart has right now and they'll refund you $20 plus tax. I just did this a couple hours ago.

On wal-mart's website go to weekly ads, list by category and go to page two. If they just search for the bundle it will be the normal price because the sale price is good in stores only.

Stay strong, hopefully we'll have our consoles and Zelda before thanksgiving (estimated delivery for me is the day before).

Thanks for the tip! BUt I was weak and I just walked in and bought it. I ain't waitin! Gaming can never wait

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

drat it, I meant to pick up the Hori 3DSXL screen protectors a week ago so I'd have it before I had the system, but I forgot. Oh well, I won't ruin the screen in a week and a half… right? :smith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Picked up a Link Between Worlds tonight. The soundtrack = :3: :3: :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I picked up my Gold 3DS XL and... I think it's got the yellow tint :negative:. Doesn't seem to be noticeable with most things, but it's very apparent on the background of the System Settings menu. Or is that normal for the XL and I'm getting paranoid?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

drat it, I meant to pick up the Hori 3DSXL screen protectors a week ago so I'd have it before I had the system, but I forgot. Oh well, I won't ruin the screen in a week and a half… right? :smith:

Amazon has them for Prime 2 day shipping. If you don't already have Prime, get it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I picked up my Gold 3DS XL and... I think it's got the yellow tint :negative:. Doesn't seem to be noticeable with most things, but it's very apparent on the background of the System Settings menu. Or is that normal for the XL and I'm getting paranoid?

Have you checked to make sure power saving (in brightness menu) isn't on?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

enojy posted:

Have you checked to make sure power saving (in brightness menu) isn't on?

It is indeed off. Seems to only occur when the 3D is off.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there a Link Between Worlds thread?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is indeed off. Seems to only occur when the 3D is off.

They're pretty good about turnaround times on repairs; I sent mine out for an under-warranty repair for the glowing-white-spot issue last week and got it back yesterday, just in time for LBW.

e: There's a generic Zelda thread.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Well, my kids had the DS, DS Lite, DSi, and 3DS, and now I've joined in with the gold Zelda 3DS XL. Link to the Past is my favorite game ever, and I'm so excited to be able to feed the nostalgia.

Unlike most things, I still have a blast playing the original.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ursine Asylum posted:

They're pretty good about turnaround times on repairs; I sent mine out for an under-warranty repair for the glowing-white-spot issue last week and got it back yesterday, just in time for LBW.

e: There's a generic Zelda thread.

My only concern is that it's a special edition - one of the Legend of Zelda Gold 3DS XL's. It'll come back the same console with just a new screen installed, right? :ohdear: (Rather than just "sorry, have a replacement normal one because we don't have any more of the special ones")

See what you guys think, just to make absolutely sure it's not me.

My new 3DS XL.

My old 3DS.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Not seeing it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I honestly see zero difference so it may just be you. Maybe the gold is throwing you off?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

I honestly see zero difference so it may just be you. Maybe the gold is throwing you off?

I was wondering the same thing, but the more I look at it, the more it seems to be there (and I did try covering the gold border just in case). It's noticeable in things like the spinning wrench on the Systems Settings icon - there's a yellow sheen around it that's white on the regular 3DS. And I just managed to confirm it with the Daily Records screen in the Activity Log. On the regular 3DS, there's a blue tint to the chart's border. It's pale green on the XL :suicide:.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only concern is that it's a special edition - one of the Legend of Zelda Gold 3DS XL's. It'll come back the same console with just a new screen installed, right? :ohdear: (Rather than just "sorry, have a replacement normal one because we don't have any more of the special ones")

When you set up a repair, one of the questions they ask is "If for some reason we have to replace the case, do you want Red, Blue, or Return Unrepaired". I've got a black that I got for the sole purpose of it being black so I was equally concerned, but mine was also a screen replacement and they didn't need to do anything with the case. Even the vinyl decal that I sent it out with came back on it untouched.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ursine Asylum posted:

When you set up a repair, one of the questions they ask is "If for some reason we have to replace the case, do you want Red, Blue, or Return Unrepaired". I've got a black that I got for the sole purpose of it being black so I was equally concerned, but mine was also a screen replacement and they didn't need to do anything with the case. Even the vinyl decal that I sent it out with came back on it untouched.

Well that's a relief, and I guess I'll call Nintendo Customer Support on Monday :sigh:. Guess I got a little more gold than I wanted in a gold 3DS XL.

edit: On a more positive note, I chucked a few games in and you guys really weren't kidding about how good the XL is. The 3D effect looks a whole lot better for me with the bigger screen. Looking at the standard's relatively tiny screen in comparison makes me wonder how I ever coped.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 23, 2013

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

bacalou posted:

And finally, if you're looking for a concise list of Virtual Console games available on the 3DS, you can go here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Nintendo_3DS_%28North_America%29

Hope that helps.

What the gently caress, WarioWare is available for idiots who bought this thing early?? Gonna get some posterboard and protest in front of Nintendo of America HQ until it is released for everyone because (a) that's some bullshit and (b) I think I played like literally 40 hours of that loving paper airplane minigame

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Don't judge me, but Scribblenauts is such a fun game. My boyfriend insisted on purchasing it for his 2DS since we got a deal along with my Zelda game and I made fun of him all the way home until I watched him played it, asked to try it out, and played it for like 4 hours. I literally can't think of much that you can't conjure up on there. 70% of the fun comes from just writing in whatever and seeing what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

abraham linksys posted:

What the gently caress, WarioWare is available for idiots who bought this thing early?? Gonna get some posterboard and protest in front of Nintendo of America HQ until it is released for everyone because (a) that's some bullshit and (b) I think I played like literally 40 hours of that loving paper airplane minigame

They re-released the plane game as a standalone thing for DSiWare, you can buy it from the eShop for $2. Pyoro's there too, I think.

• Locked thread