Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cantorsdust posted:

This is pretty much all I needed to hear. Keldorn's great, and I would hate to lose him.
You don't have to drop Keldorn from the party, I believe, you can just park him at the entrance to the grave and go talk to Bodhi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Skwirl posted:

If you get the thief stronghold (being an outpost for the Shadow Thieves) you have options of making money off theft, slavery and assassination, so I don't know exactly why they are considered "less evil."
You are effectively surrendering the city to a horde of unholy monsters that need to feed on humans just to survive. The Shadow Thieves are criminals, but at least they aren't evil by nature. And they aren't as much a threat as vampires to normal humans.

As for the "you turn on the vampires" argument, that requires metagame knowledge and only really comes about when Bodhi betrays you. And one could argue that since the PC quickly moves on out of Amn after killing Bodhi, any surviving vampires might be able to regain their rule over the underworld with the Shadow Thieves destroyed.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

LibbyM posted:

Is it normal/okay to be going into the Nashkel mines with my party all being level 1 except jaheira? It's been a while since I really played bg1.

I'd hesitate to take on kobold commandos at level one, especially if you have mages in the party. One unlucky arrow can take them out early on. Have you gone through and done some of the quests in Friendly Arms Inn and Beregost? Some of them are easy and require no combat, like getting that book for Firebead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Factor_VIII posted:

You are effectively surrendering the city to a horde of unholy monsters that need to feed on humans just to survive. The Shadow Thieves are criminals, but at least they aren't evil by nature. And they aren't as much a threat as vampires to normal humans.

As for the "you turn on the vampires" argument, that requires metagame knowledge and only really comes about when Bodhi betrays you. And one could argue that since the PC quickly moves on out of Amn after killing Bodhi, any surviving vampires might be able to regain their rule over the underworld with the Shadow Thieves destroyed.

I don't have a huge issue with it, and it does fit the whole DnD "Some creatures are just eeeevil" thing. I just don't see exactly how sucking blood is inherently more evil than being a murder or pimp. Don't get me wrong, Bodhi's loving evil, and the destroy them both thing I think works best as a nice surprise rather than playing with metagame knowledge. And I don't get why Keldorn is totally cool with working for the Shadow Thieves, but quits if you side with Bodhi, especially since all her tasks are loving up the Shadow Thieves, who are a bunch of murderers and slavers.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Did BG2:EE introduce any new kits or just the same ones that were in BG1:EE?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Keldorn isn't totally cool with working for the Shadow Thieves, he only very reluctantly agrees for the sake of Imoen and warns you not to do anything too drastic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LibbyM posted:

Is it normal/okay to be going into the Nashkel mines with my party all being level 1 except jaheira? It's been a while since I really played bg1.
Nah, you want to be Level 2. Talk to the mayor of Nashkel (or whoever to start the quest, it's been a while since I played) and that will stop the timer on Khalid and Jaheira, then do some sidequests. I think, even with a full party, doing most of the stuff around Friendly Arms inn and the fairgrounds should get you most of the way.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I don't have a huge issue with it, and it does fit the whole DnD "Some creatures are just eeeevil" thing. I just don't see exactly how sucking blood is inherently more evil than being a murder or pimp. Don't get me wrong, Bodhi's loving evil, and the destroy them both thing I think works best as a nice surprise rather than playing with metagame knowledge. And I don't get why Keldorn is totally cool with working for the Shadow Thieves, but quits if you side with Bodhi, especially since all her tasks are loving up the Shadow Thieves, who are a bunch of murderers and slavers.
Vampires are ambulatory corpses that feed on the living. And in D&D, just as vampirism give a person fangs, it also twists his mindset into that of a bloodthirsty monster. As a result, I think that they are a much greater threat and have the potential to cause more harm, since they're both vastly harder to permanently destroy and can kill a normal person with just a touch.

As for Keldorn, he outright says that he's barely holding back from attacking them and only does so because of Imoen. He also says that he wants to come back to the Shadow Thief HQ with a bunch of paladins after Imoen is rescued and clear house.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 23, 2013

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

This is a game with absolute Good and Evil. It has demons and angels in it after all. I don't see anything wrong with ambulatory corpses that feed on the living being inherently evil. In D&D, just as vampirism give a person fangs, it also twists his mindset into that of a bloodthirsty monster.

As for Keldorn, he outright says that he's barely holding back from attacking them and only does so because of Imoen. He also says that he wants to come back to the Shadow Thief HQ with a bunch of paladins after Imoen is rescued and clear house.

That makes a little more sense, it'd been a while since I played and my last time didn't use Keldorn. They should have fixed the bug where you can't kill Aran Linvall in Chapter 6 (maybe they did, I've never tried it, but I've seen people complain about it in this thread) in that case, since one of your party members suggests it. Hell that'd be a cool little minquest on your return.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Factor_VIII posted:

The Shadow Thieves are criminals, but at least they aren't evil by nature.
Real-world gangsters can be more cruel, revolting, and terrifying than any cheap horror movie stock character.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Skwirl posted:

That makes a little more sense, it'd been a while since I played and my last time didn't use Keldorn. They should have fixed the bug where you can't kill Aran Linvall in Chapter 6 (maybe they did, I've never tried it, but I've seen people complain about it in this thread) in that case, since one of your party members suggests it. Hell that'd be a cool little minquest on your return.
I guess going back and killing them depends on the PC's morality. Aran did help the PC in good faith (even if it was serving his own interests), so going back and killing him after he had aided you could be seen as a betrayal.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Look at it this way. In the status quo, the Shadow Thieves are are a parasitic organization that feeds on everyone in Athkatla, and beyond, metaphorically. In a possible future, Bodhi and her vampires feed on everyone in Athkatla, and beyond, literally. One is a standard human civilization with the attendant corruption and one is a farming operation with humans as livestock.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The game definitely presents the shadow thieves as the "lesser of two evils" option, I think there's actually a dialogue option that says explicitly that when Bodhi offers you the cheaper rate. All the evil NPCs suggest you take her offer, all the good NPCs (except Anomen) say that she gives them a bad vibe and not to take it.

Most fantasy settings romanticise thieves guild-type organisations into good guys against corrupt/ineffective/powerless authorities.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

fong posted:

Most fantasy settings romanticise thieves guild-type organisations into good guys against corrupt/ineffective/powerless authorities.

The Shadow Thieves are definitely not good guys - you walk in on them merrily torturing people for one. But better mere criminals than predatory undead.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Psh, the Shadow Thieves basically jerk you around on the Imoen situation from the start, extort you, and when you finally meet up with them in person are utter jerks. Bodhi may be a monster, but at that point in the game, she comes across as far more reasonable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

In general, my issue with it isn't so much that Bodhi isn't as evil as people say, because she's almost literally the devil, I just don't think the Shadow Thieves are any better.

I guess it works in a "Devil you know" sense, but still, a truly good person wouldn't work with either of them, and someone more morally flexible wouldn't see that much of a difference.

Edit: ^^^Also this^^^

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

Psh, the Shadow Thieves basically jerk you around on the Imoen situation from the start, extort you, and when you finally meet up with them in person are utter jerks. Bodhi may be a monster, but at that point in the game, she comes across as far more reasonable.
Aran seemed pretty reasonable to me. As he said, the PC was an unknown quantity to him; for all he knew he was a pawn of Irenicus, so he had to act cautiously and test his potential loyalty. Bodhi knows all there is to know about the PC straight from Irenicus and can thus be more direct. (And of course she's also the one who plans to send the PC to Irenicus to have his soul sucked out, unlike Aran.)

Skwirl posted:

I guess it works in a "Devil you know" sense, but still, a truly good person wouldn't work with either of them, and someone more morally flexible wouldn't see that much of a difference.
In the process of course the truly good person would be leaving Imoen to rot in Spellhold forever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

Aran seemed pretty reasonable to me.
For a murderous, slave owning pimp

Factor_VIII posted:

In the process of course the truly good person would be leaving Imoen to rot in Spellhold forever.
Theoretically, a branching RPG should have an option for someone who is role playing someone who doesn't want to work with a murderous, slave owning pimp, or a vampire, murderous, slave owning pimp

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Skwirl posted:

Theoretically, a branching RPG should have an option for someone who is role playing someone who doesn't want to work with a murderous, slave owning pimp, or a vampire, murderous, slave owning pimp

Why? Sometimes you don't get to have it your way. BG2 already caters to good aligned characters to a ludicrous degree, I don't see it as being a big deal that this one time there is no option that's all smiles and rainbows.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Seems like a completely fitting and in-character dilemma for a child of the god of murder. Bioware had a specific story they wanted to tell in this case.

A third path would be pretty cool, I'll admit though.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Really? I think its cool an RPG offered a choice that was more complicated than "Be nice" (+1 Light Side points) or "Be an rear end in a top hat!" (+1 Dark Side points). Sometimes you have to choose between two bad options.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

rakovsky maybe posted:

Really? I think its cool an RPG offered a choice that was more complicated than "Be nice" (+1 Light Side points) or "Be an rear end in a top hat!" (+1 Dark Side points). Sometimes you have to choose between two bad options.
Yah, that's cool, because real life is life that sometimes. I just wish the invincible assassin stopped spawning after Spellhold so that I could wipe out the Shadow Thieves.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Baron Bifford posted:

Yah, that's cool, because real life is life that sometimes. I just wish the invincible assassin stopped spawning after Spellhold so that I could wipe out the Shadow Thieves.

If you feel like exploiting the engine a little you can stat kill him with shapechange->mind flayer. He has lovely saves against its mindblast attack too.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times...

but I'm sort of new to BG2 (I've started playing it a dozen times but never went too far). I am basically familiar with the game mechanics. I just bought BG2:EE and think I'll seriously play through it this time. My problem is that I have never liked managing a party - is it possible and fun to play through with just one character? Maybe two would be ok if that's fun.

If so, any recommendations? I heard something about making a kensai, 5 points into quarterstaves, and going to get the staff of magi right in the beginning? Thanks.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

When I was like 12 playing this game I'd get annoyed at my team members getting touchy about working with the Shadow Thieves. I'm a thief ok. Yoshimo is a thief. Jan is a thief. Imoen, the girl we are going to go rescue is a thief. These guys have been constantly friendly to us and never tried any poo poo. Get over yourselves jeez. They are thieves and they are asking for money, well either they are all really bad thieves or they want to see what we can do. I doubt we are funding a holocaust here.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Their price is ridiculous (Why can't I shop around for passage? Athkatla is a major port!) and they make you jump through additional surprise hoops, but yeah, they don't screw you over.

Tenacious J posted:

but I'm sort of new to BG2 (I've started playing it a dozen times but never went too far). I am basically familiar with the game mechanics. I just bought BG2:EE and think I'll seriously play through it this time. My problem is that I have never liked managing a party - is it possible and fun to play through with just one character? Maybe two would be ok if that's fun.

If so, any recommendations? I heard something about making a kensai, 5 points into quarterstaves, and going to get the staff of magi right in the beginning? Thanks.
The sorcerer works OK in solo.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Soloing effectively requires knowing the game pretty well, unless you don't mind precisely following a walkthrough for this kind of thing. What's so bad about managing a party anyway? You can always try having a smaller party, say 3-4 characters. Have a thief, a mage and a cleric and you should do ok with no foreknowledge required.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Tenacious J posted:

Most any class can solo, depending on knowledge of the game, and some are very very powerful, including Kensai/Mage, Kensai/Thief, Fighter/Mage/Thief, Ranger/Cleric, and Wild Mage off the top of my head. As previous posters said though, it's not nearly the same experience, and you really should know what you're doing.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah I'd say a better solution is to fill up your party with a bunch of fighter types and just let them do their thing while you focus on managing the spellcasters.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Factor_VIII posted:

Vampires are ambulatory corpses that feed on the living.

Yes but is it okay to gently caress one

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Tenacious J posted:

I would love it if you tried to do this.

You can dual class a Kensai to a mage and you'd certainly be able to solo the game - or take a support character with you like Anomen or Aerie. You can solo the game with any class. I did a paladin team up once and strolled through with my Undead Hunter and Keldorn. If you dislike micromanaging a party but want as many gameplay options as possible you might want to do a multiclass character like a Cleric/Thief or Fighter/Druid. You can multiclass as 3 classes, for instance a Fighter/Mage/Thief but this might not be ideal unless you also have an experience cap remover mod.

Factor_VIII posted:

any surviving vampires
pft

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Noticed in this in the BG2EE patch notes

"7076: Weapon Mastery (as well as High Mastery and Grand Mastery) now grants the correct (as advertised) bonuses to THAC0, Damage, and APR."

That is a nice fix.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I'm getting a lot of invalid numbers with some conversations in my BG 2:EE game. Did they patch it? I know that can mess up dialogue strings.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Saki posted:

I'm getting a lot of invalid numbers with some conversations in my BG 2:EE game. Did they patch it? I know that can mess up dialogue strings.

Are you using a mod pack that changes/adds to one of the existing companions like neera or rasaad? If you are you need to reinstall it after the game patches.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Draile posted:

Beamdog didn't even want to release on Steam because of the cut that Valve takes from every Steam transaction. Plus there was some contractual hiccup, apparently now fixed, that required the Steam version to get routed through Atari. Beamdog only begrudgingly released on Steam when they realized that people refused to buy the game through the app store or their own proprietary platform.

Yeah. I suspect the reason they aren't selling the OSX version on Steam is because they never will. If they ever did Valve would force them to combine the platform licenses and Beamdog has no intention of doing so. It's pretty obnoxious.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

King Doom posted:

Are you using a mod pack that changes/adds to one of the existing companions like neera or rasaad? If you are you need to reinstall it after the game patches.

I installed the banter pack, and I think the conversation with the invalid numbers happened in a banter. It also happened with the dungeon-be-gone guy.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why? Sometimes you don't get to have it your way. BG2 already caters to good aligned characters to a ludicrous degree, I don't see it as being a big deal that this one time there is no option that's all smiles and rainbows.
Yea if immersion is really that important , you get stuff like Saerelith, a mod CNPC whose least awful feature is being explicitly designed and coded to make her as faithful to textbook paladin codes of conduct as possible. She straight up locks you out of the Shadow Thieves sidequest entirely at the Cowled Wizard hatchet job because ~a paladin would never do that~. IIRC she can magically tell if you've done it even if you send her to the other side of the map or drop her from the party. The only way is to get it done before she's brought on. Part of the reason why they call the mod "Saerelith's Gate 2: Shadows Over Saerelith". She becomes the center of the universe.

You're going to have to give the player lovely / precarious choices at some point. Adding a high road to every choice sucks because in RPGs they are always (always) the best option. If you're going to add the Radiant Heart as freighters to Spellhold then you might as well cut the Bodhi and Linvail routes because only heroically stupid PCs would fail to realize that both are lying through their teeth, don't share your goals or concerns in the slightest, and are probably plotting against you in some fashion.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tenacious J posted:

If you already have basic familiarity with the game mechanics, going solo is a great way to learn how to master the game. Just about any class is possible, but some of the easier options are any multiclass involving mage or cleric (seriously, every combination has gamebreaking potential) as well as dual class kensai/mage or ranger/cleric.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Their price is ridiculous (Why can't I shop around for passage? Athkatla is a major port!) and they make you jump through additional surprise hoops, but yeah, they don't screw you over.
To be fair, it is a pirate stronghold, so no sane captain would go near. The PC would be more likely to find someone who'd promise to take him there and then murder him in his sleep to rob him once on the ship.

When you clear out Bodhi's lair, you only get to stake a handful of the most important vampires. All the mooks just turn into mist and go off god knows where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'm going for a "Team Holy-Rollers" with Me (Inquisitor), Keldorn, Anomen, Jaheira, Yoshimo (Until I get to Rasaad) and Aerie. Upon checking Anomen's proficiencies, I noticed he has two pips in spears. Is this something new and idiotic they added to BG2:EE, since he can't use spears, or is it a bug?