Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

My loving girlfriend told me last night that the Americans are microchipping all their population as a requirement to get Obamacare, and got really angry when I tried to point out that its a conspiracy theory that dates back to ancient conspiracy theories about masons tattooing the number of the beast on people.

:negative:

I probably should find a new girlfriend. This one was so sane for so long. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
There it is again. There are totally Silicon Valley creeplords who want us to have subdermal microchips. There is totally widespread government surveillance that is more effective than subdermal microchips. And Obamacare has all sorts of problems. You can dive into the systemic forces driving all of those issues, debate, and be enriched and fully participate in civic life, and maybe even play a small part in bringing about change. But no, let's tie it all together into one fuckball of nutso, then spend all our time watching TV in the basement because how do you start fighting Illuminati Microchip Obamacare?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I eat protein whey tubs all at once and I'm dependent on Neuropozyne. Thanks Obama!

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

duck monster posted:

My loving girlfriend told me last night that the Americans are microchipping all their population as a requirement to get Obamacare, and got really angry when I tried to point out that its a conspiracy theory that dates back to ancient conspiracy theories about masons tattooing the number of the beast on people.

I probably should find a new girlfriend. This one was so sane for so long. :smith:

Yeeeah...when you start your post with "my loving girlfriend" and finish with conspiracy theories, it's probably time to move on. :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

McDowell posted:

I eat protein whey tubs all at once and I'm dependent on Neuropozyne. Thanks Obama!

My politics are augmented.

duck monster posted:

Demand evidence, and if when she can't deliver run for the hills.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I usually just start asking if they know a single doctor who offers microchipping. I know that you're up in arms against it but I don't think I feel like fighting this battle.

How much does it cost to get chipped? Can I buy a chip reader to see my own data? What's the deadline on this? Can I get a discount for financial hardship?

I'm gonna be pissed if I get shipped to a FEMA camp for non-compliance with the chip laws, I don't have an arsenal like you do so I actually have to worry.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

duck monster posted:

What country are you guys in?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Amused to Death posted:

What country are you guys in?

Australia. We're so boring here we have to just repeat american conspiracy theories.

Anyone trying to theorize the australian government being competent enough able to pull off some vast intracate secret conspiracy would get laughed off by even the most hardened of alex jones types.

Heck when our govt DOES try to do something sneaky, like tap the indonesian presidents phone, we're so loving incompetent we put it in a powerpoint presentation to boast to the US embassy about it.

edit: Well I suppose there was the whole "There was a second gunman at port arthur" conspiracy theory. Literally nobody at all believes that, except the larouchite cult.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I usually just start asking if they know a single doctor who offers microchipping. I know that you're up in arms against it but I don't think I feel like fighting this battle.

How much does it cost to get chipped? Can I buy a chip reader to see my own data? What's the deadline on this? Can I get a discount for financial hardship?

I'm gonna be pissed if I get shipped to a FEMA camp for non-compliance with the chip laws, I don't have an arsenal like you do so I actually have to worry.

I gave her all the Snopes links about it. She's a mostly-sensible girl, so she quickly readjusted her thinking, thankfully.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

duck monster posted:

Australia. We're so boring here we have to just repeat american conspiracy theories.

Australia? Anyone in a country that just elected Tony Abbott is in no position to say any crazy things about America :colbert:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Amused to Death posted:

Australia? Anyone in a country that just elected Tony Abbott is in no position to say any crazy things about America :colbert:

Hey Rupert Murdochs your responsibility now, buddy. We handed him over to you and your authorities have failed to detain!

(Tony abbot didn't win the election. Rupert Murdoch did, by controlling 70% of the press and bombarding people with constant headlines about COMMUNIST LABOR PARTY CORRUPTION CARBON TAX IMMIGRANTS"

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

duck monster posted:

COMMUNIST LABOR PARTY CORRUPTION CARBON TAX IMMIGRANTS

And we are back to conspiracy theory, full circle!

P.S.
You guys elected Tony Abbott. :laffo::laugh::laffo:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

And we are back to conspiracy theory, full circle!

P.S.
You guys elected Tony Abbott. :laffo::laugh::laffo:

yeah yeah I know

:suicide:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I watched a JFK special last night on the history channel in regards to JFK being shot, and the conspiracy theories related to it.

It was interesting, and pretty much went through every last one to debunk them. (IE the Soviets and Cubans would have nothing to gain politically via Kennedy's assassination).

They ended with pretty much them putting up statistics as to "conspiracies" american believe in.

The Sandy Hook Shootings and Boston Marathon Bomber got 14%.

14%

It's sad because I could pretty much somewhat buy why there'd be a conspiracy theory for every other event they described, but drat..are people that loving stupid?

At least the pre-Alex Jones conspiracy theories were fun to speculate about out and didn't create an army of morons producing shoddy youtube videos to force on you.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
At least I'll never have to worry about employers finding awful things I've said via Google, because I have the same name as a prolific WTC conspiracy theorist, and the first ten pages of Google results are all back to him.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Miss-Bomarc posted:

At least I'll never have to worry about employers finding awful things I've said via Google, because I have the same name as a prolific WTC conspiracy theorist, and the first ten pages of Google results are all back to him.

Better hope that future employers are able to figure out that you aren't actually that guy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FuzzySkinner posted:

At least the pre-Alex Jones conspiracy theories were fun to speculate about out and didn't create an army of morons producing shoddy youtube videos to force on you.

And they didn't directly effect government policy. A lot of Tea Party Republicans run on pretty much nothing but Conspiracy based campaigns.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

duck monster posted:

Anyone trying to theorize the australian government being competent enough able to pull off some vast intracate secret conspiracy would get laughed off by even the most hardened of alex jones types.

Heck when our govt DOES try to do something sneaky, like tap the indonesian presidents phone, we're so loving incompetent we put it in a powerpoint presentation to boast to the US embassy about it.

edit: Well I suppose there was the whole "There was a second gunman at port arthur" conspiracy theory. Literally nobody at all believes that, except the larouchite cult.

I actually kind of miss being forced into small talk with people of different viewpoints for this very reason. If you can't beat em, might as well run circles around the holes in their arguments.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Actually while talking with some friends about this topic, it was pointed out to me a lot of people in australia do buy into the whole vast-left-wing-conspiracy climate change denialist gibberish, and theres a fair bit of the hippy vaccine denialist and what not sorts of things.

So I retract that statement about no major conspiracy theories here. Its not quite true.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duck monster posted:

Actually while talking with some friends about this topic, it was pointed out to me a lot of people in australia do buy into the whole vast-left-wing-conspiracy climate change denialist gibberish, and theres a fair bit of the hippy vaccine denialist and what not sorts of things.

So I retract that statement about no major conspiracy theories here. Its not quite true.

Well, Australia is also the home and birthplace of the modern Creationist movement, and you could certainly argue that they like to push conspiracy messages (like Christians being persecuted and scientists covering up evidence of god).

LazyArtistry
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I watched a JFK special last night on the history channel in regards to JFK being shot, and the conspiracy theories related to it.

It was interesting, and pretty much went through every last one to debunk them. (IE the Soviets and Cubans would have nothing to gain politically via Kennedy's assassination).

They ended with pretty much them putting up statistics as to "conspiracies" american believe in.

The Sandy Hook Shootings and Boston Marathon Bomber got 14%.

14%

It's sad because I could pretty much somewhat buy why there'd be a conspiracy theory for every other event they described, but drat..are people that loving stupid?

I'm not surprised by this at all. There are two guys at my work that are great to be around, but are just absolutely crazy when it comes to conspiracy theories. Whenever a shooting happens that gains national attention, the literal first words from them involve "false flag". They poured over the videos and 'evidence' of people who seem like crisis actors and then use conspiracy sub-reddits as evidence.

I've tried countering their idiocy on this, but it just gets to be too dumb... then I realize that I'm wasting my time and try to get back to work.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

GodDamnArtist posted:

I've tried countering their idiocy on this, but it just gets to be too dumb... then I realize that I'm wasting my time and try to get back to work.

I think the best way to deal with it, is explain how they could have done things so much easier if they did X.

For instance, 9/11. Why make this obscenely complicated plan that if it hosed up even one slight bit, would reveal everything?

If it was a false flag, they would have simply set up bombs in the towers, and blown it up that way. No airplanes needed. Hell, they could have destroyed only one, and 'saved' the other, using it as a symbol of American skill and overcoming adversity blahblahblah and also they'd have been able to trot around those 'brave heroes' that disarmed the bombs.

Sandy hook though...that takes a special kind of asswipe. Do they really think the suffering and mourning families are all just 'crisis actors'? Do they think the funerals were faked, and the bodies that were laid to rest are all sawdust dummies?

To what end? To take are guns? Well if they were able to set up a situation like this, without being found out by everybody, wouldn't they be able to just outright take them without having issues?

They are both able to pull off horrific operations without any one of their operatives ever growing a conscience and coming clean, and at the same time bumbling morons who can't accomplish anything without 'revealing themselves'. Which is it guys?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I had a fun discussing once meeting my uncle's (by marriage) family for an afternoon bbq in Manchester. One of his nephews was, I think, working in software engineering and we got chatting. It rapidly devolved into him telling me about the role of the Illuminati in America as can be clearly seen by all the symbology on dollar bills. I tried explaining the whole Masonic/Deist/Englightenment era philosophy and history of that thing, which he pretty much interpreted as 'Masons? See I told you the Illuminati is controlling it. You've bought into the cover story perpetrated by their history books!' Which was frustrating but pretty much what I expected.

The interesting bit was when he got onto how alternative energy is a scam that will destroy us all because energy isn't real (I think, this was a few years back). That was the major part of the discussion but I really couldn't figure out what he was on about beyond 'all these types of things are called energy but they're all different and I can't see energy so it's a hoax'. The thing I did get was he though wind power was a scientific Frankenstein's monster that would kill us all by using up all the energy in the atmosphere and destroying global weather patterns. Trying to explain to him that energy from wind storms, etc. would be getting converted blowing through forests, etc. didn't do much as he seemed to think if that was getting used to power televisions it pretty much meant we'd destroy weather or something. He also had some theory about perpetual motion engines and how we should be able to produce them.

I just don't get how people manage to get through a sane schooling system and believe some/any of this poo poo. Especially the science stuff.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

MrNemo posted:

I had a fun discussing once meeting my uncle's (by marriage) family for an afternoon bbq in Manchester. One of his nephews was, I think, working in software engineering and we got chatting. It rapidly devolved into him telling me about the role of the Illuminati in America as can be clearly seen by all the symbology on dollar bills. I tried explaining the whole Masonic/Deist/Englightenment era philosophy and history of that thing, which he pretty much interpreted as 'Masons? See I told you the Illuminati is controlling it. You've bought into the cover story perpetrated by their history books!' Which was frustrating but pretty much what I expected.

The interesting bit was when he got onto how alternative energy is a scam that will destroy us all because energy isn't real (I think, this was a few years back). That was the major part of the discussion but I really couldn't figure out what he was on about beyond 'all these types of things are called energy but they're all different and I can't see energy so it's a hoax'. The thing I did get was he though wind power was a scientific Frankenstein's monster that would kill us all by using up all the energy in the atmosphere and destroying global weather patterns. Trying to explain to him that energy from wind storms, etc. would be getting converted blowing through forests, etc. didn't do much as he seemed to think if that was getting used to power televisions it pretty much meant we'd destroy weather or something. He also had some theory about perpetual motion engines and how we should be able to produce them.

I just don't get how people manage to get through a sane schooling system and believe some/any of this poo poo. Especially the science stuff.

Well, you don't need *all* of your brain to survive, and usually just following instructions is something any idiot can do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrNemo posted:

Where's the fun in everything being NORMAL and non-super secret conspiracy junk?

MrNemo posted:

I've finally gotten to the point where I realize that you just CANNOT argue with people like this, because they see patterns and conspiracies in everything around them. Its like the pattern recognition part of their brain is damaged.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

It's not even that, it's that once you've bought into the idea of a conspiracy existing that does this kind of thing everything can be interpreted as confirming evidence. Something appears to contradict it? False-flags! They're just that devious. Something confirms it? Successful leak! The conspiracy is dangerous but vulnerable! Something else confirms it? Deliberate display of their existence! They're just that arrogant (and so powerful but also vulnerable).

Of course the fact that a conspiracy would be simultaneously leaving symbols confirming their existence to rub it in our faces and conducting false-flag operations to cover up their existence isn't something they really spend too much time thinking about. But the conspiracy existing has become part of their axioms for understanding the world, changing that requires a paradigm shift in their thinking which is a pretty major upheaval. For a history of science analogy it's like convincing someone to give up the idea that the Sun goes round the Earth. Sure you might have all these observations but they've got Ptolemaic epicycles to explain them. They're not wrong it's just that the planet's orbits are staggeringly more complex than we can get our heads around!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

duck monster posted:

Just this morning I turned on the TV when I was making breakfast and one of the inane morning talk/news shows had "The vaccine controversy" covering half the bloody screen.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Install Windows posted:

Well, Australia is also the home and birthplace of the modern Creationist movement, and you could certainly argue that they like to push conspiracy messages (like Christians being persecuted and scientists covering up evidence of god).

Yeah I do realise the Answers in Genesis clowns came from australia, but their impact was much larger in the US then it ever was here. Fundamentalism does have some roots here but we're a fairly secular country and discussing religion outside the family home is seen as uncouth to most people. Generally when Tony Abbot started ranting about jesus in the year before the election it worked against him and he dropped the jesus talk fairly quickly. I'm not sure an Atheist president would be even possible in the US at this stage in history.

None the less, yeah I guess religious inspired conspiracy theory does exist like it does anywhere else, but I wouldn't go blaming australia for the US's fundie problems. As much as we imported one of our whackos to the US (the answers in genesis people), we've just as much had to endure your pentecostalists and charismatics and all the other hardcore bible thumpers coming here to recruit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duck monster posted:

Yeah I do realise the Answers in Genesis clowns came from australia, but their impact was much larger in the US then it ever was here. Fundamentalism does have some roots here but we're a fairly secular country and discussing religion outside the family home is seen as uncouth to most people. Generally when Tony Abbot started ranting about jesus in the year before the election it worked against him and he dropped the jesus talk fairly quickly. I'm not sure an Atheist president would be even possible in the US at this stage in history.

None the less, yeah I guess religious inspired conspiracy theory does exist like it does anywhere else, but I wouldn't go blaming australia for the US's fundie problems. As much as we imported one of our whackos to the US (the answers in genesis people), we've just as much had to endure your pentecostalists and charismatics and all the other hardcore bible thumpers coming here to recruit.

They allied with the hyper-conservative Queensland government in the 80s to get full on creationism back in public school science classes for a few years. It was a pretty huge problem that thankfully got fixed. Most of them started spreading their sickness to America after that (we had not had any kind of widespread active creationist movement between them coming in and about the end of world war ii).

Those bible thumpers were referred to Australia for the most part by the creationist Aussies who migrated to America. Student exchange program but with anti-knowledge, basically.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From (of all places) the picture thread over in Entertainment Weakley

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

http://wellaware1.com/music_legends.shtml

cool conspiracy page about how pete townshend is the boston bombers' father; jimi hendrix (son of nelson mandela) is morgan freeman; julian lennon (son of steve jobs) is david koresh; etc.

e: perez hilton is ariel pink (???)

That's right, even world famous rock starts are part of the lizardman conspiracy.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

From (of all places) the picture thread over in Entertainment Weakley

That's right, even world famous rock starts are part of the lizardman conspiracy.

I'm more concerned with Nelson Mandela being Jimi Hendrix's father. :psyboom:

They don't even look alike. This is Mandela in 1944 at age 26:

This is Hendrix in 1967 at age 25:

I think the only similarity is that they're both black.

Gen. Ripper fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 27, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Conspiracy theorists with face-blindness are the only people in the world who would get a pass for saying "they all look alike." But they squander it by insisting that everyone is the same person.

These folks should hang out with that Russian guy who thinks all of recorded history is only like 400 years and a bunch of historical figures are actually the same people.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

GodDamnArtist posted:

Whenever a shooting happens that gains national attention, the literal first words from them involve "false flag".
The only issue I have with the Boston Bombing is the FBI - or whoever - not releasing images of them placing the bomb.

We can watch the bomb going off.
We can watch people lose limbs. Blood everywhere.
But not them placing the bomb.

I remember that beautiful 4chan collage of the private military guys and their position in relation to the bomb, etc. How come, with all that trawling, no one - apart from the FBI - has managed to show the actual bombers placing the bombs?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Conspiracy theorists with face-blindness are the only people in the world who would get a pass for saying "they all look alike." But they squander it by insisting that everyone is the same person.

These folks should hang out with that Russian guy who thinks all of recorded history is only like 400 years and a bunch of historical figures are actually the same people.

My (literally) Autistic housemate is face-blind. Its a loving bizare thing. I'll bump into him in town and have to tell him I'm the guy in the room next door to him in the house and have been so for 4 years. He's no conspiracy theorist though, just a postgrad mathematician.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

truther posted:

The only issue I have with the Boston Bombing is the FBI - or whoever - not releasing images of them placing the bomb.

We can watch the bomb going off.
We can watch people lose limbs. Blood everywhere.
But not them placing the bomb.

I remember that beautiful 4chan collage of the private military guys and their position in relation to the bomb, etc. How come, with all that trawling, no one - apart from the FBI - has managed to show the actual bombers placing the bombs?

A couple of guys leaving bags on the ground in a crowded area, real informative.

Has the FBI released any images of the event save from investigative/procedural stuff?

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
I know there's been images of the two guys showing that they were in the area and left when the bomb went off but nothing else.
I don't subscribe to any of the conspiracy theories but why not release an image of them placing the bag? We have photos of the bag already there and the explosion but not being placed.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

duck monster posted:

My (literally) Autistic housemate is face-blind. Its a loving bizare thing. I'll bump into him in town and have to tell him I'm the guy in the room next door to him in the house and have been so for 4 years. He's no conspiracy theorist though, just a postgrad mathematician.

This is interesting, and I'm surprised he doesn't recognize you based on your voice. I've heard a lot of people with face blindness can substitute that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Hasn't it recently be found that a lot more people have total or partial face-blindness then previously thought? Primarily due to the sufferers often being unaware other people weren't suffering from it, and having developed coping mechanisms that worked well enough.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

truther posted:

I know there's been images of the two guys showing that they were in the area and left when the bomb went off but nothing else.
I don't subscribe to any of the conspiracy theories but why not release an image of them placing the bag? We have photos of the bag already there and the explosion but not being placed.

Oh yeah, good call, surveillance isn't total. Therefore, something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

ErIog posted:

This is interesting, and I'm surprised he doesn't recognize you based on your voice. I've heard a lot of people with face blindness can substitute that.

He *usually* gets its me pretty quickly, but in a loud pub or something he sometiems struggles recognizing people. Booze+autism or something I guess.

The funny thing is, his social skills arent terrible (even if he forgets that generally speaking ranting about lie groups in category theory rarely makes compelling
talk for non mathematician girls at the pub) but hes seriously faceblind and tends to freak out when things get moved around in the house or generally poo poo is changed in his routine.

• Locked thread