Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Might just be me, but I like Ektar all the time (even some portraits), just err on overexposure and avoid super high contrast scenes.

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

ZippySLC posted:

I recently bought two rolls of Ektar. When is it appropriate to use?

decently lit scenes where you know you want vivid color

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Mightaswell posted:

just err on overexposure and avoid super high contrast scenes.

pshhhhhhhh

Wish You Were Here! by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
gently caress yeah Ektar.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

When photo labs scan negatives, is the process different for b/w and color? It's $15 for a CD of "high-res" (3000x2000) scans at my local photo shop, and just a couple of bucks at Costco, which is much higher quality, to boot. But Costco of course only handles the C-41 process, and I'm wondering if I could get b/w film developed for $4 at my shop and then take it to Costco for scanning.

After thinking about what it would cost to do my own scanning setup, I think the above would be cheaper even after shooting film for a while, but I don't know if it works like that.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

You'd break even buying a V500 after less than 10 rolls at that price

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

dukeku posted:

You'd break even buying a V500 after less than 10 rolls at that price

Well, yeah, which is why I'm wondering if I can do the scanning at Costco instead :shobon:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Usually the dev and scan is done all at once on the same machine

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

404notfound posted:

When photo labs scan negatives, is the process different for b/w and color? It's $15 for a CD of "high-res" (3000x2000) scans at my local photo shop, and just a couple of bucks at Costco, which is much higher quality, to boot. But Costco of course only handles the C-41 process, and I'm wondering if I could get b/w film developed for $4 at my shop and then take it to Costco for scanning.

After thinking about what it would cost to do my own scanning setup, I think the above would be cheaper even after shooting film for a while, but I don't know if it works like that.

Not developing your own B&W is a shameful thing. Get a V500 and chems/tank for developing your own B&W.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Or you could shoot either Ilford XP2 or Kodak C41 BW film, and have it done at Costco.

Looks like KEH are selling film now, not overly cheap though.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Over the holidays I'm going to get a hand-me-down rangefinder, a Minolta Hi-Matic 7S, that I've been told is in pristine condition. It's my grandfather's, and I would love to fiddle around with it a bit, but I'm not into abandoning digital or anything.

Aside from actually learning rangefinder function stuff, is using this camera as simple as replacing the battery, slapping some Portra 400 in it and going outside to find neat stuff? Then taking it to a place locally that still develops film?

Or am I six different kinds of off-base?

E: Also, if I'm not developing myself, am I better off finding a good local place to do it, or is there a mail-off service you recommend?

Huxley fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 21, 2013

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

MrBlandAverage posted:

Not developing your own B&W is a shameful thing. Get a V500 and chems/tank for developing your own B&W.

I only just got an ME Super and a couple rolls of Tri-X (and ended up grabbing some Portra 400 shortly thereafter), mostly as an experiment. I'm trying not to invest too heavily into developing/scanning equipment until I think I'm actually gonna stick with it alongside digital.

And yeah, if I had done more research beforehand, I probably would have gone with XP2 or BW400CN instead of Tri-X, but I didn't realize it would be so costly for a photo lab to process black and white.

Well, if I end up liking this whole deal, I guess I'll drop the cash on a decent scanner and some development materials. I didn't think shooting film with a 30-year-old camera versus a modern, reasonably high-end DSLR would be such a costly investment. :shepspends:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Huxley posted:

Over the holidays I'm going to get a hand-me-down rangefinder, a Minolta Hi-Matic 7S, that I've been told is in pristine condition. It's my grandfather's, and I would love to fiddle around with it a bit, but I'm not into abandoning digital or anything.

Aside from actually learning rangefinder function stuff, is using this camera as simple as replacing the battery, slapping some Portra 400 in it and going outside to find neat stuff? Then taking it to a place locally that still develops film?

E: Also, if I'm not developing myself, am I better off finding a good local place to do it, or is there a mail-off service you recommend?

A lot of those old rangefinders use mercury batteries that aren't made any more, so may want to do a little research to see if you to do something special. The good news is there is usually a suitable replacement or some sort of adapter you can get for pretty cheap.

404notfound posted:

I didn't realize it would be so costly for a photo lab to process black and white.

What's nice, is if you use a high dilution developer like Rodinal or HC-110 your cost per roll on developing is down in the <$1 range. It's expensive for the lab because every kind of black and white film requires different development times, so it's a more hands on process for the developer. Color film uses standardized processes so it's the same every time. I imagine the volume on b&w is a lot lower too since so many people do it themselves.

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 21, 2013

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Huxley posted:

I've got a Hi-Matic 7sii, my first film camera too. It takes the usual easy to get button batteries, and is very easy to use, and even if you don't have batteries it should still fire anyway at 1/125th of a second. The only problem is that the rangefinder spot might be a little dim, but you can do a quick fix by putting a little square of tape over the spot on the input side of the viewfinder. Check out https://www.butkus.org/chinon/index.html for the manual, very handy to have.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Meter velvia 50 at 32, yay/nay? I've been shooting at 32 with a few metered in foliage but sometimes exposures of 1 second doesn't seem right.

Is it a good idea? Or is 40 a better idea?

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 21, 2013

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Sludge Tank posted:

Meter velvia 50 at 32, yay/nay?

I wouldn't do it, personally, clipped highlights look like crap on slide (IMO).
That said, in my experience Velvia does indeed get really weird color shifts when under-exposed. That's why I usually don't shoot slide except for some landscape experiments and night stuff. It's like being between a rock and a hard place, and I like being sloppy with my metering. (I don't meter, usually and just use my 'experience'.)

That said: Actually, with all the film I shoot, even the much vaunted Portra 400, color balance goes to hell when the film is light starved enough.
It gives some of my night stuff this otherworldly look.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank posted:

Meter velvia 50 at 32, yay/nay? I've been shooting at 32 with a few metered in foliage but sometimes exposures of 1 second doesn't seem right.

Is it a good idea? Or is 40 a better idea?

Maybe. Try it and see. It could be that your meter or shutter are a combined 2/3 stop off.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Anyone keen on shooting some real infrared colour film should check this out:
http://filmphotographyproject.com/store/35mm-fpp-infra-chrome-color-infrared-film-1-roll

Pitty its $22 a roll, but not totally crazy money for how much a 120 roll goes for.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spedman posted:

http://filmphotographyproject.com/store/35mm-fpp-infra-chrome-color-infrared-film-1-roll

Pitty its $22 a roll, but not totally crazy money for how much a 120 roll goes for.
Holy poo poo.

This is big time.

Shipping to my country is ridiculous :(

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Spedman posted:

Pretty awesome but I definitely would like to shoot some 120 of this. How do you even get this developed? What differences come out from standard E-6 and cross processing on c41?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

E-6 usually, you can get it cross processed in C-41 afaik. You have to tell your lab to turn off all infrared lighting when developing for either process.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Scored a Yashica 12 and a Minolta SR-1S from my grandfather.

The Minolta works like a champ, but the shutter doesn't actuate on the Yashica. :iiam:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

GunForumMeme posted:

Scored a Yashica 12 and a Minolta SR-1S from my grandfather.

The Minolta works like a champ, but the shutter doesn't actuate on the Yashica. :iiam:

You can probably send the Yashica to Mark Hama to get repaired, I'm not sure what it costs though.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I think this question has been answered before, but I can't find it.
I found an exposed mystery roll in a 70 year old eastern european camera. Whats the best way of seeing if I can salvage anything? 1:100 Rodinal stand development for 60 mins?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Putrid Grin posted:

I think this question has been answered before, but I can't find it.
I found an exposed mystery roll in a 70 year old eastern european camera. Whats the best way of seeing if I can salvage anything? 1:100 Rodinal stand development for 60 mins?

That or Diafine.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

E-6 usually, you can get it cross processed in C-41 afaik. You have to tell your lab to turn off all infrared lighting when developing for either process.

I x-processed the roll I shot in C41 at home, that gave me the greenish skies and red trees. If you process in E6 and shoot with a red filter you'll get colours much like that photographer who shot a tone of the stuff in the Congo, blue skies, magenta trees.

pootiebigwang posted:

Pretty awesome but I definitely would like to shoot some 120 of this.

If you can find a roll of Aerochrome in 120, you'll probably need to sell your camera to buy it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Spedman posted:

I x-processed the roll I shot in C41 at home, that gave me the greenish skies and red trees. If you process in E6 and shoot with a red filter you'll get colours much like that photographer who shot a tone of the stuff in the Congo, blue skies, magenta trees.

If you can find a roll of Aerochrome in 120, you'll probably need to sell your camera to buy it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aerochrome-Color-Infrared-Film-25-rolls-120-format-EIR-Kodak-/121198537965?pt=US_Camera_Film&hash=item1c37feeced

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

:staredog: "I originally bought them at $45 a roll". And I thought it was pricey at ~$20 when I bought mine.

Fake edit: I just had a look through his ebay history, he apparently impulsed bought a $10k Leica M8 and recently off-loaded it.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
10k for an M8 is a bad impulse.
Speaking of which, I got one of the ME Supers I bid on and, despite being in immaculate condition, the light meter and associated electrical functions do not work at all. Yes, I used fresh batteries and even tested them. Is it a lost cause or can this be repaired?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

RustedChrome posted:

10k for an M8 is a bad impulse.
Speaking of which, I got one of the ME Supers I bid on and, despite being in immaculate condition, the light meter and associated electrical functions do not work at all. Yes, I used fresh batteries and even tested them. Is it a lost cause or can this be repaired?

Mrdespair probably has some weird trick to make it work.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

eggsovereasy posted:

You can probably send the Yashica to Mark Hama to get repaired, I'm not sure what it costs though.

Yeah I threw it on x to test the self timer but it wouldn't even go. I'm thinking that's the issue. Of course, I've been wrong before.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

8th-snype posted:

Mrdespair probably has some weird trick to make it work.

I had a camera that acted the same way, I wound up stripping it of parts to fix other me supers.

Either that or your batteries are in backwards/contacts are too dirty.

One thing to test though, if you stick teh camera in manual mode, and press the shutter speed indicators around, does it sound like the shutter speed change? That would tell you if either the led/meter is fried or if the electronics are completely hosed.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Mr. Despair posted:

I had a camera that acted the same way, I wound up stripping it of parts to fix other me supers.

Either that or your batteries are in backwards/contacts are too dirty.

One thing to test though, if you stick teh camera in manual mode, and press the shutter speed indicators around, does it sound like the shutter speed change? That would tell you if either the led/meter is fried or if the electronics are completely hosed.

Batteries are in right, contacts are clean and I used a multitester to make sure the connection was good all the way through. The shutter seems to randomly decide to fire or not, even in manual mode, sometimes exposing for as long as 20-30 seconds. I think it's just fried. I found out about a local guy who works on film cameras so I may let him take a look at it some time.

My 2nd ME Super arrived today and it seems to work perfectly in all modes. It's also in nice condition except for chipping on the hinges. Figures that the better looking of the two is the one that doesn't work.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Have a question regarding long exposures and reciprocity;

What do you do if you have started a long exposure from a metered scene (say from 1/125 which ends up being say 4:32 with filters and recip failure taken into account) and then the light changes from a cloud moving over the sun down 1-2 stops halfway through the exposure? What do i do? On some films this changes the time from 4:32 to 20+ minutes. But if i just add on the difference surely it will be over exposed. Any tips as im sure this is a common issue ran into withLE's

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Sludge Tank posted:

Have a question regarding long exposures and reciprocity;

What do you do if you have started a long exposure from a metered scene (say from 1/125 which ends up being say 4:32 with filters and recip failure taken into account) and then the light changes from a cloud moving over the sun down 1-2 stops halfway through the exposure? What do i do? On some films this changes the time from 4:32 to 20+ minutes. But if i just add on the difference surely it will be over exposed. Any tips as im sure this is a common issue ran into withLE's

I usually just stick to my guns, mostly. I've gotten good results that way.
I had a similar example except with clouds, it was a night photo and the light giving car drove away. It was meant to be a 3 minute exposure... I tacked on another 30 seconds (it was raining, I was wet and cold... ) and called it a day. Worked out fine.

For example I also shot some Fomapan 400 and some Tri-x 400 in the same scenario. Whereas Tri-X still gave me a nice image, brightness with Fomapan just dropped off a cliff and there was little useable in the almost transparent neg.

What I'm trying to say with my long-ish rant here is, that shooting film with long exposures is not that scientific. The best way to learn is just to experiment (And probably fail a couple of times, such is life.). Some films are also more forgiving than others. For example Fuji's T64 slide is super forgiving for long exposure stuff, more so than Portra. Which is really weird to me.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone here had any experience with Fujicolor C200?

Given the price quoted, the lack of information online and the look of the boxes I expect it to be nearly worthless... but at 3$ a roll I'm actually tempted. Worst case scenario: Worth a laugh for my first try doing film for many years.

And what is the cheapest film one can get anyway? Where does the barrel reach the bottom?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

No Gravitas posted:

And what is the cheapest film one can get anyway? Where does the barrel reach the bottom?

Maybe expired 2nd hand Lucky film?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

No Gravitas posted:

Given the price quoted, the lack of information online and the look of the boxes I expect it to be nearly worthless... but at 3$ a roll I'm actually tempted. Worst case scenario: Worth a laugh for my first try doing film for many years.

Fuji Superia 200 is interesting, kind of an under saturated look, that I don't hate for some things. It will remind you of you mom's snapshots (because that is what your mom probably used). I often use Superia 400 in my Stylus because it is so cheap, and sometimes I don't need Portra's awesomeness.

I've seen Superia 200 and 400 under $3/roll. I've seen Kodak Gold/Max whatever they call it for about $2 per roll. (This is all new, unexpired) At those prices, the most expensive part is developing, so you might as well play around.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I guess I should hunt for that then.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No Gravitas posted:

I have a great love for Fuji C200, I use it to shoot test rolls as I can get 15 rolls of it for like €24 if I shop around.
I pretty much only shot on Fuji C200 for years until I started getting more into photography and have gotten some great results from it:

Welcome by Quantum of Phallus, on Flickr

Bikes by Quantum of Phallus, on Flickr

And some shots that...uh... aren't of red neon...