Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Whats the best way to get hallowed bars once ive gone to hardmode? I can't kill any bosses even though Ive got mushroom spear, titanium helmet and breastplate and mythril leggings, wings, etc. I buff up with potions and I still cant quite take out skeletron prime or even the twins. I feel like im doing something wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Cosmik Debris posted:

Whats the best way to get hallowed bars once ive gone to hardmode? I can't kill any bosses even though Ive got mushroom spear, titanium helmet and breastplate and mythril leggings, wings, etc. I buff up with potions and I still cant quite take out skeletron prime or even the twins. I feel like im doing something wrong.

Try the Destroyer, should be trivial to kill. Also get a full set of one kind of armour.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also finish off the titanium armor set with the pants and get that sweet immunity bonus, extra damage and movespeed.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Wow I really feel like a dumbass. I built a little platform out of dirt with a roof, maybe 40 blocks wide, to protect from the lasers.

Killed the destroyer in 5 minutes.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Rynoto posted:

Download TShock and set up a private server with your farm map. Turn the spawn rate down to 1 and the limit up to 1000 or something else insane. You'll get that mold within 5 minutes or so.

Do this, but use the /pumpkin server command immediately after. :getin:

Messing with the spawn rate to make hostile mobs spawn infinitely fast is the best part about running a private server. That, and messing with the spawnmob command.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

That's not an apt comparison at all. With this method you still have to survive, fight, and kill the enemies. There's just less waiting around between spawns.

Eh, for an afk farm to even work reliably you basically have to be unharmable. Spawning 50x the enemies isn't going to make my spike trap murder pit any more dangerous for me so yeah I mean if I'm going to cheat I may as well just give myself the item directly.

I guess I could crash Terraria, that's a risk.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Eh, for an afk farm to even work reliably you basically have to be unharmable. Spawning 50x the enemies isn't going to make my spike trap murder pit any more dangerous for me so yeah I mean if I'm going to cheat I may as well just give myself the item directly.

I guess I could crash Terraria, that's a risk.
Oh, I glossed over the part where he said it was for an AFK farm. My mistake.
When I want banners for instance I just crank up the spawn rate and go crazy in the appropriate biome. Your health can drop amazingly fast.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So it seems that if you're in hardmode and get the message about a boss spawning, they won't actually show up unless you come to the surface that night, but they will immediately show up if you do. For example, if you die and respawn The Destroy might spawn inside your loving sky castle and wreck your poo poo.

In other news, I know that corruption growth jumps up radically after you beat your first hardmode boss so I've been trying to dig a tunnel vertically through my underground jungle to hopefully spare it from corrupting. Of course the world was created with a jungle right next to the corruption, and the hallow only half spawning because part of it overlapped the jungle.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

So it seems that if you're in hardmode and get the message about a boss spawning, they won't actually show up unless you come to the surface that night, but they will immediately show up if you do. For example, if you die and respawn The Destroy might spawn inside your loving sky castle and wreck your poo poo.

In other news, I know that corruption growth jumps up radically after you beat your first hardmode boss so I've been trying to dig a tunnel vertically through my underground jungle to hopefully spare it from corrupting. Of course the world was created with a jungle right next to the corruption, and the hallow only half spawning because part of it overlapped the jungle.

Buy a ton of dynamite to dig your hole, it'll be faster and more satisfying.

I had to do this when the Crimson sprung up right next to the jungle when I beat the Wall of Flesh.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Baron von Eevl posted:

One other way to mitigate this issue is to try and beat Plantera as soon as you can after entering hard mode. Doing so slows down the spread of corruption and hallow.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Xavier434 posted:

One other way to mitigate this issue is to try and beat Plantera as soon as you can after entering hard mode. Doing so slows down the spread of corruption and hallow.

Problem is this is my first time through hardmode, I'm only starting to consider trying to take on the Destroyer now, and I want to get my arena all set up first. I just got my mythril armor and I'm going to see how I do with that.

Question: I know people always say go for the mushroom spear and frost armor ASAP, but I'm playing a character that's pretty much only casting. I've been using the flower of frost mainly. I don't have the crimson, so I can't make the golden shower until I start yet another world and take it to hardmode too. Is the mushroom spear still worth getting?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yes, make a melee hat for your armor set and murder the Destroyer.

Or go make a Crimson world and get a Golden Shower, it's that good.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Are there any multiplayer servers at the moment? I'm having a bitch of a time getting people interested in this game. I even offered to buy the game for them :negative:

What's the consensus on map revealing? I'm about to enter hardmode, got my bridge in hell ready for the fight, wearing necro armor and have a few stacks of meteor shot for my minishark. Before I enter hardmode, I kind of want the staff of regrowth but my freaking jungle shrines love to repeat the same items again and again, I've gotten about 5 feral claws and I'm sick of endless exploring of the jungle looking for that one item.

Arcology
Nov 6, 2012
Are you asking for permission? The Staff of Regrowth isn't exactly game breaking, if you want one you might as well cheat one in and be on your way. If it really bothers you, trash one of your claws and pretend you found it in that chest.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TerryLennox posted:

What's the consensus on map revealing? I'm about to enter hardmode, got my bridge in hell ready for the fight, wearing necro armor and have a few stacks of meteor shot for my minishark. Before I enter hardmode, I kind of want the staff of regrowth but my freaking jungle shrines love to repeat the same items again and again, I've gotten about 5 feral claws and I'm sick of endless exploring of the jungle looking for that one item.

I wouldn't bother looking for it. It's a terrible weapon, and if you just want to spread grass you can buy grass seeds from the Dryad for 20 copper pennies each. Unless you just want one of every item in the game in which case good luck with that.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Baron von Eevl posted:

Problem is this is my first time through hardmode, I'm only starting to consider trying to take on the Destroyer now, and I want to get my arena all set up first. I just got my mythril armor and I'm going to see how I do with that.

No no don't misunderstand me. You are on the right track. Going after Destroyer before Plantera is wise because the Hallowed materials you get from him will allow you make a pickaxe that gives you access to chlorophyte and all associated gear. It shouldn't take long. Go after Plantera after that. :)

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

TerryLennox posted:

What's the consensus on map revealing?

meh, its a game that you paid for, the point is to have fun. If not map-revealing is making the game less fun for you, then cheat. If cheating will make it less fun for you then don't cheat. I give myself wire because its way too loving expensive for what it is. I buy teleporters legit and set up teleporter highways to get from place to place easy and it makes the game 10x more fun in my opinion because you're not wasting time getting around, which is my main, and really only, gripe with this game.

Also i got bored looking for the lizard temple and map revealed to find it. I was about to stop playing for good before that.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 22, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I remember there was some graphical software to run a server I had a while back. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Nevermind I was thinking of the Game Launcher

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 22, 2013

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Xavier434 posted:

No no don't misunderstand me. You are on the right track. Going after Destroyer before Plantera is wise because the Hallowed materials you get from him will allow you make a pickaxe that gives you access to chlorophyte and all associated gear. It shouldn't take long. Go after Plantera after that. :)

Yeah, I went ahead and got the mushroom spear just now and crafted a mythril helmet to focus on melee for the Destroyer. Fucker could barely hurt me, the fight only took about 2 minutes.

Of course, right before I went to spawn him, Skeletron Prime showed up and whooped my rear end.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Recently started playing, can't figure out what this red thing is. Can't mine it either. :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TheChad posted:

Recently started playing, can't figure out what this red thing is. Can't mine it either. :(
It's evil blood metal. You'll need a better pick to mine it. The first couple bosses drop a lot of it, and it shows up in the corrupted red area a lot as well. It'll likely be the best gear you have access to for a while, once you can start killing them reliably.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
That's a piece of Crimtane Ore which means you have a Crimson Biome In your world! It also drops from the pre-Hardmode bosses which makes it much easier to get.

e: ^:argh:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

It's Crimtane ore. You can blow it up with bombs, or mine it when you get a gold pickaxe. It's not worth mining until you fight the Brain of Cthulu, since all the good gear requires tissue samples to craft.

e:f,b

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

you fight the Brain of Cthulu
e:f,b

:stonk:

edit: does crimtane biosphere look red with weird rear end face zombies? Looks badass.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheChad posted:

:stonk:

edit: does crimtane biosphere look red with weird rear end face zombies? Looks badass.
It does!

There are freaky caves down in there with giant hearts. You blast your way through the wall with bombs, break a heart, and then there's a 50% chance a meteor will fall at night/midnight if there isn't one there already. If it doesn't happen, break another. The third one you break will summon that boss. He's a dick, so bring your best gear. I suggest either full gold/platinum, or Meteorite.

If you can get full meteorite armor and a good-prefix Space Gun, you'll make a mockery of the first two bosses.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Only found about 5 bars of platinum. Made a grappling hook and drat that thing is badass.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

The Leper Colon V posted:

It does!

There are freaky caves down in there with giant hearts. You blast your way through the wall with bombs, break a heart, and then there's a 50% chance a meteor will fall at night/midnight if there isn't one there already. If it doesn't happen, break another. The third one you break will summon that boss. He's a dick, so bring your best gear. I suggest either full gold/platinum, or Meteorite.

If you can get full meteorite armor and a good-prefix Space Gun, you'll make a mockery of the first two bosses.

Found the space gun and promptly blew through the ammo. :( Or at least I think I did, says it uses mana but it doesn't appear too.

Estel
May 4, 2010
How much mana do you have? It consumes 8 mana per shot and it shoots really fast.

Once you get a full set of meteorite armor the bonus is that the space gun cost no mana to shoot.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The more I play Terraria, the more I want Red to add in a "utility" accessory slot strictly for items in the GPS tree (Depth Meter, Watches, etc.). It's really nice to always to know your XY coordinates and the time, but not "takes up an entire Accessory Slot" nice.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The White Dragon posted:

The more I play Terraria, the more I want Red to add in a "utility" accessory slot strictly for items in the GPS tree (Depth Meter, Watches, etc.). It's really nice to always to know your XY coordinates and the time, but not "takes up an entire Accessory Slot" nice.

Maybe make a recipe of GPS + Mining Helmet into an all-purpose HUD item that provides light and those things. THEN it might be worth an entire accessory slot.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

KataraniSword posted:

Maybe make a recipe of GPS + Mining Helmet into an all-purpose HUD item that provides light and those things. THEN it might be worth an entire accessory slot.

Then mix that resulting item with whatever the top tier boots are now, because in Terraria, boots can do anything.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Nighthand posted:

Then mix that resulting item with whatever the top tier boots are now, because in Terraria, boots can do anything.

To be fair, all of the boot's abilities make sense.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
I'd be happy with a Frostspark Boots + Lava Waders = Insulated Megaboots or something, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread. Utility, plus it doesn't look weird having two different (pairs?) of boots on.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

TheChad posted:

Found the space gun and promptly blew through the ammo. :( Or at least I think I did, says it uses mana but it doesn't appear too.

It uses mana. Are you sure you're using the Space Gun? You can't find it in a chest or from a drop, you have to craft it. Are you maybe using the Undertaker or something?

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

It uses mana. Are you sure you're using the Space Gun? You can't find it in a chest or from a drop, you have to craft it. Are you maybe using the Undertaker or something?

Oh, yeah it was the Undertaker. Sorry it seemed like a space gun.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The White Dragon posted:

Honestly the clock function should just be rolled into the default UI.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

RatHat posted:

Honestly the clock function should just be rolled into the default UI.

Or at least be "unlocks" you get once finding them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Or at least be "unlocks" you get once finding them.
Maybe it can be a consumable item. You 'eat'/put on a watch, and you permanently have access to the Time, in the same way that the watch gives.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Or maybe it could just work as long as it's in your inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Or maybe it could just work as long as it's in your inventory.

That would be ideal. So it wouldn't' be "free" but it wouldn't take up one of your precious accessory slots.

• Locked thread