Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
DS9 is arguably the Trekiest Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Slamhound posted:

DS9 is arguably the Trekiest Trek.

Inarguably.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Otisburg posted:

Inarguably.
But Trekkies will argue about anything.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Slamhound posted:

But Trekkies will argue about anything.

I disagree.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Nessus posted:

Perhaps we should reconsider his sense of morality. After all, he has taken of the fruit that the Federation's foolish backwardness denies to us in order to control us. Mindwipes for everyone!

Star trek: Mindwipes for everyone!

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Just watched "Marauders", aka "Seven Samurai In Space". So loving bad.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Apple Jax posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but have we posted about that stupid Star Trek: Renegades trailer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZPbX2x3Ug

It looks terrible. Production and makeup look great, but I hate how super dark and gritty it looks. It looks so hamfisted that I want to barf. It's neat that Walter Koenig, Tim Russ and a few others are in it, but this really doesn't do anything for me.

I'm also just bitter about actual actors using Kickstarter recently, they're already established actors with connections in the business. Kickstarter is supposed to be for the little guy who has no chance of doing a project otherwise.

Also, also their logo looks like an angsty high school rear end in a top hat designed it:

If Andrew Robinson ever dares go near any of this drek, I will cry for days.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Trickjaw posted:

If Andrew Robinson ever dares go near any of this drek, I will cry for days.

Well I doubt he will. But Renegades can't be worse than whatever awful TOS reboot thing Garret Wang was in. Even Rifftrax ripped it it was so bad.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The three best Enterprise episodes?

Carbon Creek. Shuttlepod One. Dawn. Watch 'em, they're great. :colbert:

Cogenitor is the essential Enterprise episode.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

rocket_man38 posted:

Just watched "Marauders", aka "Seven Samurai In Space". So loving bad.

The magnificent Ferengi was 7 samurai in space

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

Recycled plot ideas, Thank you Berman and Braga.

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lowen SoDium posted:

But, unlike "Marauders", "The Magnificent Ferengi" was enjoyable.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Great_Gerbil posted:

Cogenitor is the essential Enterprise episode.

You have no honour.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Shuttlepod One is the best ENT episode because it canonizes T'Pol's sexy butt.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

OK Seriously commander Eddington can suck a dick.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Raphael Sbarge makes me laugh. He's got that husky, romantic voice which he puts to good use as Kaiden in Mass Effect and as Carth in Knights of the Old Republic, but he's just so loving doofy-looking in reality :haw:

The comparison between Kaiden's face and voice is :psyduck:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

He doesn't suck as a person. Just as an actor. And just on a timeline of his other TNG foils (Stewart, Spiner, Dorn, Burton). And I had to completely re-evaluate that opinion when the Death to All Things Acting Beltrane showed up.

MikeJF posted:

Don't care I'm still in love.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

rypakal posted:

He doesn't suck as a person.

rypakal posted:

Just as an actor.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

MikeJF posted:

Still not as jarring as I remember how badly some of my friends took it way back when Quiet Riot debuted. Every one of them who said the lead singer sounds hot shut up fast when the Cum on Feel the Noize video came out.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Finally got around to seeing the Trek Into Darkness.

I enjoyed the picture

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Sash! posted:

I enjoyed the picture

The poster is alright looking, yeah. Shame the movie is so lovely though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Farecoal posted:

The poster is alright looking, yeah. Shame the movie is so lovely though.

You're a wrong person and I hope that your descendants are squished by the big black starship that crashed.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Sash! posted:

You're a wrong person and I hope that your descendants are squished by the big black starship that crashed.

The one thing I'll say for Into Darkness is it doesn't have a way-too-long close-up of either of the antagonists the way '09 does.

Pretty much everything else is the same though

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Sash! posted:

I enjoyed the picture

I liked it too, up to a point. Then it just went off the rails and ruined all the good will it had spent an hour and a half building up.

I think it could have been far more interesting if Khan had turned out to be a good guy, and really been Kirk's friend. Then you could have had the KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN callback when Khan dies in the warp core saving the ship. That woulda been a better ending than...that poo poo we got.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

LooseChanj posted:

I think it could have been far more interesting if Khan had turned out to be a good guy, and really been Kirk's friend. Then you could have had the KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN callback when Khan dies in the warp core saving the ship. That woulda been a better ending than...that poo poo we got.

Yeah when they started working together I realised it would have been cool to flip Khan around and make him a cool dude. I hadn't thought of having him die saving the ship in the core though, but you're right that would have been a better way to do that callback.

Ah what could have been. I really dig a lot of individual elements in the JJ films but they just aren't very good overall.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I guarantee you if they'd made him a good guy people would just complain that this horrific warlord who was such a big deal that they froze him and shot him into goddamn space to get rid of him turned around and became a hero.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I guarantee you if they'd made him a good guy people would just complain that this horrific warlord who was such a big deal that they froze him and shot him into goddamn space to get rid of him turned around and became a hero.

They could've had him being forced by circumstances to work with Kirk, originally planning to double-cross, but coming to realise in the new era and more evolved times that the old ways wouldn't work and cooperation truly was better. Also sacrificing himself to save the other sleepers could've stayed in character.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

They could've had him being forced by circumstances to work with Kirk, originally planning to double-cross, but coming to realise in the new era and more evolved times that the old ways wouldn't work and cooperation truly was better. Also sacrificing himself to save the other sleepers could've stayed in character.

Oh I'm sure it could've worked in the story, I'm just saying there would be plenty of neckbeards to complain about that direction too.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh I'm sure it could've worked in the story, I'm just saying there would be plenty of neckbeards to complain about that direction too.

Neckbeards complaining? Well I never!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

Neckbeards complaining? Well I never!

Let me tell you something else about Star Trek nerds. They often nitpick minor errors in the episodes, especially if those errors are statements that contradict something mentioned in another episode of the series.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Grand Fromage posted:

Let me tell you something else about Star Trek nerds. They often nitpick minor errors in the episodes, especially if those errors are statements that contradict something mentioned in another episode of the series.

Next, you'll tell me that they'll create elaborate justifications for why the things that were cool when they were 12 are better than the things that are cool when they're middle-aged!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gau posted:

Next, you'll tell me that they'll create elaborate justifications for why the things that were cool when they were 12 are better than the things that are cool when they're middle-aged!

Some Star Trek nerds spend an inordinate amount of time discussing Star Trek. Sometimes they do this on the internet.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Huh, I wonder what that would be like.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know but I hope I never find out.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Maybe someday, there will be rules about that kind of thing. But until someone writes that... 'directive', we're just going to have to make tough posts everyday.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Maybe someday, there will be rules about that kind of thing. But until someone writes that... 'directive', we're just going to have to make tough posts everyday.

Well there was that one episode of Futurama.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

There's probably a decent story in there about history being written by the winners and everything Kirk's generation know about Khan is actually a lie.

Of course if you do it badly then you end up accidentally making a positive allegory for holocaust denial, so perhaps not.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alchenar posted:

There's probably a decent story in there about history being written by the winners and everything Kirk's generation know about Khan is actually a lie.

Of course if you do it badly then you end up accidentally making a positive allegory for holocaust denial, so perhaps not.

They specifically said back in Space Seed that Khan was recorded as the only one of the warlords of the era who never did any massacres or genocide, so they can distance themselves from that from the start.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

quote:

When I get excited and sing the TNG theme song I do EXACTLY what Troi is doing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Pascallion posted:

When I get excited and sing the TNG theme song I do EXACTLY what Troi is doing here.

Wobble your tits about?

• Locked thread