Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Geoj posted:

You need to be careful with "reasonably priced" cables at Fry's. Last time I was in one I bought some micro USB cables they were selling for about $3/each, but the low price came with a catch - inside of a week the little barbs in the bottom of the micro-B connector wore out and they wouldn't stay plugged in. The most reasonable price I've seen for a decent cable was $10 at Microcenter.

Unless its an absolute emergency stick with online sources for cables.
Monoprice cables are the brick shithouses of the interconnect world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Geoj posted:

You need to be careful with "reasonably priced" cables at Fry's. Last time I was in one I bought some micro USB cables they were selling for about $3/each, but the low price came with a catch - inside of a week the little barbs in the bottom of the micro-B connector wore out and they wouldn't stay plugged in. The most reasonable price I've seen for a decent cable was $10 at Microcenter.

Unless its an absolute emergency stick with online sources for cables.

thats why I grab 3-4 usb cables from the bin at Fry's, can never have enough :)

out of curiosity are you in Dallas? the mention of both Micro Center and Fry's makes me think so.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's amazing!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
KBT Pure Pro 2 (Cherry mx red) and KBT Pro Value Edition (Cherry mx brown)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

JEEVES420 posted:

out of curiosity are you in Dallas? the mention of both Micro Center and Fry's makes me think so.

I actually live in Akron (Ohio,) the nearest Fry's to me is in Indianapolis. I bought the shoddy cables at the store in Palo Alto when I was there for work in March.

Microcenter is based in Columbus and has a store in the east side suburbs of Cleveland. Its really the only decent computer hardware store within reasonable driving distance (loving Ohio :argh:)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

It's amazing!

I asked my roommate if he was going to get a PS4 so that we (read: I) could play on it.

He said he was going to get a 3DS for Zelda. :negative:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Arex posted:

Sony NEX-EA50UH

Got it on Thursday for almost a third of its retail price, bloody fantastic camera so far.

Sorry to quote this again but you don't have messages so I just thought I'd ask here. How are you liking it so far and how did you get such a good deal on this? I'm thinking I may want to pick one up for personal use so I can avoid dslr's entirely and still have something we can use at work in a pinch.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Geoj posted:

I actually live in Akron (Ohio,) the nearest Fry's to me is in Indianapolis. I bought the shoddy cables at the store in Palo Alto when I was there for work in March.

Microcenter is based in Columbus and has a store in the east side suburbs of Cleveland. Its really the only decent computer hardware store within reasonable driving distance (loving Ohio :argh:)

I drive by a Micro Center AND Fry's on my way to/from work everyday. Fry's used to be great for PC parts but now Micro Center is much better.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I loving love me some Ween.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CombatBonta-kun posted:

Decided that a SSD was the best upgrade I could do to my computer.

512GB Samsung 840 Pro. I was thinking of waiting for Black Friday to see if someone would have a deal on it, but then I figured I could use the long weekend to install the SSD instead.

Moving to an SSD for my windows install on my most recent PC build was the best part of it. Just wish I'd been able to afford bigger than 128gb. I can't wait for 1tb SSD's to be reasonably priced and move to them completely

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

I drive by a Micro Center AND Fry's on my way to/from work everyday. Fry's used to be great for PC parts but now Micro Center is much better.
We have a couple of both here in Atlanta and I bought a surprising number of parts from Microcenter for my PC build last May.

By surprising amount, I mean case, CPU + mobo, ram, DVD-RW, and keyboard. At one point that also included monitor, PSU, wireless NIC, and SSD, but those all got returned, though I did buy a refurb 27" Acer for $180 from them a little later. :getin:

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Nov 22, 2013

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The season five set dropped to $57 at Amazon.

uptown
May 16, 2009
No pictures 'cause they're a surprise for my Santee, but I bought some polishes for my Nail Polish Secret Santa today :3: Can't wait for them to get here!

I may have bought some for myself too.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Monoprice cables are the brick shithouses of the interconnect world.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bought some hand warmers.
Driving in and out of trucks on a dock when its freezing cold outside is very cold.

And some socks.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Someone posted a "Frozen" mug in this thread, I can't find it anywhere in the EU, so I'd like to know where to buy it in the US.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

SEKCobra posted:

Someone posted a "Frozen" mug in this thread, I can't find it anywhere in the EU, so I'd like to know where to buy it in the US.

Was it this one?
http://www.disneystore.com/drinkware-kitchen-dinnerware-home-decor-elsa-mug-frozen/mp/1340074/1000350/?CMP=KNC-DSSGoogle

There's an Anna one too:
http://www.disneystore.com/anna-mug-frozen/mp/1339930/1000350/

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

For what it's worth I own a bunch of USB cables from Frys that I got for 99 cents, they all still work perfectly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

App13 posted:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
It's not bad, I'll tell you that much.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Just bought this little baby

http://www.amazon.com/iRobot-Roomba-Vacuum-Cleaning-Allergies/dp/B005GK3IVW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385235081&sr=8-1&keywords=roomba+770

We have a 4 part split level but the level with the entrance just gets so covered in leaves and crap when people walk in that we decided it would be worth it to have it clean that level every night. It's fantastic and hasn't gotten stuck at all. We have carpet, tile, rugs on tile, rugs on carpet, and it hasn't gotten stuck a single time.

We also have two cats so this has provided us endless entertainment.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Please tell me you've done this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhsUPtsiLU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

I love this reference and you avatar combination. Haha

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I'm probably going to have to now. I've got a jambox that would work perfectly.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Found at a thrift shop months ago, but the price was never right for me until today.

Still need to scrub down the glass a bit more, there is a film of dirt and nicotine on the entire thing.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Amazon had a box of the entire original Star Trek on Blu-Ray on sale today, and I just ordered it as a Christmas gift for my mother.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

QNAP TS-212 NAS box and a 2TB drive to stick in it.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

widefault posted:

Found at a thrift shop months ago, but the price was never right for me until today.

Still need to scrub down the glass a bit more, there is a film of dirt and nicotine on the entire thing.

A severed head seems like a strange picture to display

Aristurtle Records
Jun 9, 2006

live at random, live as best one can

widefault posted:

looks kinda like mariah carey

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I bought like 16 of these. Ouch.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I hope the view justifies the price.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

and Dead Rising 3, Battlefield 4, and Ryse: Son of Rome. They all rule.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aristurtle Records posted:

looks kinda like mariah carey

Can't be, Mariah doesn't allow her face to be seen on that side.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Fooley posted:

Money well spent.

This is a couple pages ago but my friend needs this. Where do I get this.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

This is a couple pages ago but my friend needs this. Where do I get this.

Right here. The Demonius shirt was from another store...Basically whatever dumb internet poo poo you can think of, someone has it on there.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I hope the view justifies the price.

I don't have that great of a view, I just have really old windows (possibly original to the house built in 1965,) so I hope that they'll help with keeping utilities down.

QueenOfTheEyesores
Sep 12, 2008
Drunk Christmas purchase, but I still love it:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/001/0/6763657/il_570xN.358832901_aus9.jpg

Also a card towards Kiva, for my mum. Thanks to SA for showing me this awesome site. Also an amazing gift to give. Microfinancing is the tits.

http://www.kiva.org/

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Bought at the flea market a few months back (still pretty recent I'd say) from a stand operated by an old Army vet.

My North Vietnamese Army Headgear Badge! It's the real thing, worn on helmets and caps of NVA soldiers during the old Vietnam War. The weaves for formal wear can be removed, most soldiers just wore the emblem. I mostly keep it in it's little plastic pouch though for now as safe keeping until I find something special to do with it. I have long curly hair and wearing hats just tend to mess it up, so that's kind of out of the question. Still pretty neat though.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

QueenOfTheEyesores posted:

Also a card towards Kiva, for my mum. Thanks to SA for showing me this awesome site. Also an amazing gift to give. Microfinancing is the tits.

http://www.kiva.org/

Whoa, thanks for the idea dude, Kiva is the perfect gift I was looking for.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Finally got my mini-Sous Vide setup running!

Im just testing it out so far, but if it can maintain 150F for 3 hours Ill start using it tomorrow!
Im thinking eggs at 145F for a few hours and maybe some nice salmon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QueenOfTheEyesores
Sep 12, 2008

Le0 posted:

Whoa, thanks for the idea dude, Kiva is the perfect gift I was looking for.

Plus, they now have smaller donations for us poor folk. Also, the recipient can re-donate as their donation is repaid. It goes on and on. I got my donation card today, and it is lovely. I wish I could do this all the time.

editing: Here are a few websites that validate its practices:

http://www.guidestar.org/organizations/71-0992446/kiva-microfunds.aspx

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=12978#.UpRnv8Q3uDk

QueenOfTheEyesores has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Nov 26, 2013

• Locked thread