Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

hcreight posted:

ABC Family deliberately went away from that demo a few years back. It's amusing to think that the network that broadcasts Secret Life and Pretty Little Liars was founded by Pat Robertson and still airs The 700 Club.

If you've never read Disney War the bits about ABC Family are hilarious. Michael Eisner bought it with zero planning, thought that they could just dump their ABC shows onto it, and then at the very last minute found out that they didn't have the rights and had to throw together anything and everything just to fill the schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sophia posted:

I've heard The Fosters (also ABC Family) was good but I've never actually watched it. Friday Night Lights might scratch your itch if you haven't seen it. Gilmore Girls you mention this in your post duh, Joan of Arcadia, and Everwood are the other ones I can think of off the top of my head that are actually decent quality, though you might have already seen all of those. You could also go back and give the original flavor Beverly Hills 90210 (or the new one as I think about it) a gander. Or 7th Heaven. :)

I just recently watched The Fosters and it's a cute show. The kids kinda do dumb stuff but Teri Polo and Sherri Saum are adorable as their parents.

hcreight posted:

ABC Family deliberately went away from that demo a few years back. It's amusing to think that the network that broadcasts Secret Life and Pretty Little Liars was founded by Pat Robertson and still airs The 700 Club.

Yeah, ABC Family can pretty much never really fill that demo as long as PLL is basically its #1 tent-pole show.

xeria fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 23, 2013

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Sophia posted:

I've heard The Fosters (also ABC Family) was good but I've never actually watched it. Friday Night Lights might scratch your itch if you haven't seen it. Gilmore Girls you mention this in your post duh, Joan of Arcadia, and Everwood are the other ones I can think of off the top of my head that are actually decent quality, though you might have already seen all of those. You could also go back and give the original flavor Beverly Hills 90210 (or the new one as I think about it) a gander. Or 7th Heaven. :)

poo poo how did I leave out Friday Night Lights! Yeah seen that and Evermore and the new 90210 because of the melodrama thread but I will check out The Fosters if it's similar.

7th Heaven, hahaha nope.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Sophia posted:

The rampant success of Duck Dynasty, as much as I do not care for it, is a clear sign to me that people who want "family friendly" (read: Christian principled without a lot of sex humor) shows and humor is a demo that's being majorly undeserved and are hungry for content and some network should try to capitalize on it with a night of clean, family friendly sitcoms and dramas. But I'm not sure who would even go that direction except maybe NBC.

Duck Dynasty reminds me a lot of a deep south version of an 90s ABC TGIF show so this is pretty spot on.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If you've never read Disney War the bits about ABC Family are hilarious. Michael Eisner bought it with zero planning, thought that they could just dump their ABC shows onto it, and then at the very last minute found out that they didn't have the rights and had to throw together anything and everything just to fill the schedule.

Yeah, Pat Robertson still owns a little bit of ABC Family, explaining why the world Family is still there and the 700 Club is still there, much to Disney's chagrin. Before Fox bought it in the late 90's it really was a Family Channel. And before that the channel was more blatantly Christian. That channel has had a weird history.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

See also: Literally everything Tyler Perry has produced.

We need a new Living Single. :colbert:

At least FOX's current lineup does serve people who are looking for a little less...vanilla in their casting.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

At first I was thinking that ABC Family could fit that demo, but then I realized that it airs that Secret Life of the American Teenager show, where not having sex is just as important as talking about not having sex for the entirety of every episode. Although it did have the best guest star ever in the history of television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqrjN8peOiE
In retrospect, there was zero chance of Shailene Woodley in Fifty Shades of Grey.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Same here, it's not like they're cackling cartoon villains. They're human beings going through poo poo. It happens in life.

Yes, but they live on Planet Feces. They're literally never not going through poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Everything is pretty good right now though. Kristina is over cancer and has all these supporters even though she lost the election. It will probably help in her next venture. Max finally has a real friend and future career prospects. Crosby and Adam have a successful and cool business. I guess Joel and Julia's family are going through some poo poo and Coach too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

See also: Literally everything Tyler Perry has produced.

Tyler Perry gets a double word score by also capitalizing on people that are desperate to see anything with people of color as leads.

hcreight posted:

It's not really the same channel, though. They sold out to Fox who in turn sold out to ABC, who originally intended to change the channel's name to ZYX (get it?!?!) to emphasize how radical and extreme it'd be compared to ABC proper's programming. However, they didn't do their homework and missed the two stipulations of anyone who owns the network:

a) It must air The 700 Club.
b) It must have "Family" somewhere in the name.

Have to say they've been doing better with it than Fox Family did, though.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
At this point they have to just be waiting for Pat Robertson to kick it so they can just dump the show and the word "Family" out of the channel.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mo0 posted:

At this point they have to just be waiting for Pat Robertson to kick it so they can just dump the show and the word "Family" out of the channel.

Would that even free them? I'm not sure how the terms of sale are worded.

DC still has to call Bob Kane the sole creator of Batman even after his death.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CPFortest posted:

Duck Dynasty reminds me a lot of a deep south version of an 90s ABC TGIF show so this is pretty spot on.

I don't "get" Duck Dynasty. I tried watching it once because it came on after something I wanted to watch and I barely made it through to the first commercial break. Of course if I could understand why people watch that I'd understand why Pawn Stars is the #1 show on cable.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

raditts posted:

I don't "get" Duck Dynasty. I tried watching it once because it came on after something I wanted to watch and I barely made it through to the first commercial break. Of course if I could understand why people watch that I'd understand why Pawn Stars is the #1 show on cable.

As already mentioned, the show scratches an itch for programming that revolves around Christian conservative values that isn't really catered to elsewhere on television these days. It isn't meant to appeal to the average TVIVer whatsoever.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 23, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, so on Adultswim.com James Urbaniak has a webshow called "Futuremanity" which is pretty funny. The episode about religion has Eugene Mirman playing a drug addicted God and Jon Benjamin as himself, God's best friend.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

hcreight posted:

As already mentioned, the show scratches an itch for programming that revolves around Christian conservative values that isn't really catered to elsewhere on television these days. It isn't meant to appeal to the average TVIVer whatsoever.

Yeah but I mean I don't even get the "christian values" part. I guess it's more the phony southern Real 'Murican "Jeezus" type of "christian values" though.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

raditts posted:

Yeah but I mean I don't even get the "christian values" part. I guess it's more the phony southern Real 'Murican "Jeezus" type of "christian values" though.

REAL AMERICAN VALUES
(see: The so-called "real america"[read: rural america] that was used by republicans as a talking point for years)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

raditts posted:

However, they didn't do their homework and missed the two stipulations of anyone who owns the network:

a) It must air The 700 Club.
b) It must have "Family" somewhere in the name.

Simple solution: Sell it to someone willing to rename it to, "Not A Family Channel" and fill it up with crazy stuff, including a late night show where the hosts pull a Daily Show riff on the events of that week's 700 Club.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Start "The 666 Club", hosted by Rob Zombie.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The 700 Clubthulu: 2 hours of people discussing the Lovecraftian Elder Gods and other dark corners of this universe (and others) as the set, their speech, their behavior and even their very physical appearances morph into something horrific and nightmarish throughout the season.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I don't think any broadcast television outfit could afford the budget required to properly display (using advanced CGI supercomputers) the mind-shredding, non-euclidian terror of the sunken city of R'yleh.

On the other hand, it would open up terrifying new vistas of reality.

Get Oded Fehr to play Abdul Alhazred.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Everything is pretty good right now though. Kristina is over cancer and has all these supporters even though she lost the election. It will probably help in her next venture. Max finally has a real friend and future career prospects. Crosby and Adam have a successful and cool business. I guess Joel and Julia's family are going through some poo poo and Coach too.

Just finished season 1 of Parenthood last night so it's fantastic to see this post just plonked in the middle of CC unspoiled, btw.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

raditts posted:

I've only watched a couple of episodes but it is definitely rooted in strong "Christian values" in the generic sense of the term and it didn't come across as phony or overbearing to me. They pray sincerely before all of their meals, they often causally mention God or feeling blessed, a lot of their lives are clearly centered on their faith and they react to situations accordingly but aren't too showy about it. I don't know if they're good people or bad people or what but the religion thing was not the annoying part of the show to me. Honestly they kind of reminded me of my own family except dumber and from the south. Clean humor, strong family presence, and faith-centric lives.

But god I could not take how boring that is to watch on a tv show.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm liking the Fosters so far, it's very diverse, doesn't have too many insufferable characters (yet) and has that CW/ABC Family cocaine-moreishness that is going to make me regret jumping in mid-season when I get caught up and have to wait for episodes. I did that for Masters of Sex as well and I really wish I'd waited, that is a fantastic show. So good, in fact, that despite stoking a strong interest in the source material and making me want to find out more about the actual people and studies that were done, I'm not looking that up yet because I don't want to spoil the show. It's so awkward and prudish, but at the same time progressive and forward thinking and I love how those two opposites mix.

Speaking of awkward when is Girls back? Can't wait to get my cringe on and hate those people and myself.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Girls starts back up January 12. There was a new trailer for season 3 yesterday actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRtwqdQ6UdI

Season 2 was kind of a mess, there didn't seem to be much cohesion besides Hannah's depressive downward spiral. I still haven't seen the finale actually.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
You should watch the finale if only so that it convinces you to drop the show. (Or at least that's how it worked for me.)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Lena Dunham twerking a gravestone. That's it, I'm out.

hope and vaseline posted:

Season 2 was kind of a mess, there didn't seem to be much cohesion besides Hannah's depressive downward spiral. I still haven't seen the finale actually.

You lucky bastard. The season 2 finale is easily the worst episode of the series.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mu Zeta posted:

I agree that Six Feet Under is the best of these types of shows.

This is from a short while back in the discussion but I've got to disagree with this. Six Feet Under had an amazing first season and an incredible final montage, but between the two it was incredibly uneven - at times it would knock it out of the park with a single episode or scene, but then it would just wallow in plots and characters that I didn't care for one bit.

I honestly think that two shows in this genre were superior to Six Feet Under in nearly every way, one of them especially is basically my third pick for the greatest TV dramas.

Friday Night Lights (the third greatest drama) and Gilmore Girls.

Now, Friday Night Lights I imagine won't be too controversial of a choice, but Gilmore Girls I can imagine seemingly incredibly strange to compare to Six Feet Under favorably. I just think that it was overall more consistent, and a lot more adept at navigating the levity and drama I find necessary to my enjoyment of the family drama genre.

EDIT: Also I never got the appeal of Girls.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 23, 2013

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

You have to enjoy unpleasant feelings to like Girls. It certainly isn't for everyone and no-one should feel like they're missing out or not understanding something if they don't like it, despite what numerous articles written about the show would want to have you believe.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cactus posted:

You have to enjoy unpleasant feelings to like Girls. It certainly isn't for everyone and no-one should feel like they're missing out or not understanding something if they don't like it, despite what numerous articles written about the show would want to have you believe.

Yeah, I really wanted to like Girls, so I watched all of the first season and the first episode of season two, but it just wasn't for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Cactus posted:

So in other words, you have to hate yourself.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I watched Girls up until the lead character wished she had cancer or AIDS or something so people who pay attention to her and let her freeload.

So I made it, what, two episodes?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Cactus posted:

I've watched both seasons of Girls and understand it perfectly and am beyond done with it.

To be more positive, I've been watching through Always Sunny and it's so great. I think I've reached a point where I have to take at least a couple days' break from it so I don't burn out. I can only embrace the horribleness for so long at a time.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

raditts posted:

So in other words, you have to hate yourself.

Yeah occasionally. A bit of honest self-reflection is good sometimes. That along with the schadenfreude of seeing bad things happen to flawed people. And then wishing you didn't derive pleasure from the discomfort of others. And then coming to terms with it and liking it and feeling all proud of yourself. And then feeling like a dick again.

And so on and so forth, the whole thing amuses me greatly.

Edit: Credit to The Fosters for providing the most awkward, contentious dance party scene I think I've ever seen.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 23, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
TV IV Couch Chat: It has been 127 ZERO days since we talked about Lena Dunham

:negative:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So many people here watch Arrow while Nikita gets like 12 posts :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I just haven't seen it yet!

Not that I post in the Arrow thread either. I think the Nikita premiere kind of snuck up on a lot of people.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Sorry, Maggie Q just isn't as hot as Stephen Amell.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

precision posted:

TV IV Couch Chat: It has been 127 ZERO days since we talked about Lena Dunham

:negative:

Bringing Girls up in couch chat provides the same feeling as watching Girls does :getin:

edit:

Irish Joe posted:

I... agree. As a straight male, I agree.

VVV I know but can I use the broken clock defence?

Cactus fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

Cactus posted:

I... agree. As a straight male, I agree.

• Locked thread