Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

GNU Order posted:

It's fun being a Bears fan because no mock is going to correctly figure out who Phil Emery is going to draft in the early rounds. Like, it should be fairly obvious our needs are S DT and CB but he could go hog wild and take a fullback or something just to be a draft hipster.

No, he'll draft a fullback because of explosive measurables or athletic potential or something. And then there'll be a press conference where he spends like 20 minutes discussing their advanced composite athletic index for fullbacks.

...just kidding Phil, oh god please never leave us. Jerry Angelo drafts were an exercise in humiliation and rage every April.

Also, I have no earthly idea what Emery's going to do - on defense, especially. There's so much that could change between now and then depending on what happens with the vets. Like, if Melton comes back from his ACL and they re-sign him, maybe we don't go DT early. If they keep Peanut for another year, maybe we can draft a developmental corner in the middle rounds instead of Justin Gilbert or somebody in the 1st. If neither of those guys comes back and we lose Tim Jennings and Corey Wootton, too...who knows, maybe we have to draft for nothing but defense in rounds 1 through like 6. It's going to be such a rebuilding project on defense this offseason.

It's nice to finally have faith that our front office is going to make good picks, though. Like, yeah Shea McClellin could have been Chandler Jones, and that would have been awesome in retrospect, but I can't get mad at anything Emery wants to do after the Jeffery and Long picks. Apart from Matt Forte, I can't think of a single player Angelo drafted on offense who ever worked out the way those two have so far.

EDIT:

JGdmn posted:

Almost all the mock drafts I'm seeing are having the Bears taking a DT or CB in the middle to late middle of the first.

But they are all over the place on who that person is.

I would love to see an undersized DT like Aaron Donald or Will Sutton fall to the 3rd round. A good sub-package rusher could make a huge difference for the Bears in third-down defense. I can't count how many times I've seen them get a team in third-and-long this year, then get no pass rush and give up a 15-yard completion. Melton and Sutton as the nickel DTs would be pretty :black101: if Sutton drops back down to 285 pounds or so.

defiantgiant fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Jerry Angelo was so bad at the draft that other fan bases hated him.

What a dick

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Jerry Angelo was so bad at the draft that other fan bases hated him.

What a dick

Yeah, I bet you guys were all bent out of shape that KC was on top of things and jumped in to grab...

Jon Baldwin? Jesus gently caress Pioli.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It was the principle.

Steve Biscotti wanted Chicago's forth round pick delivered in an envelope made of Angelo's skin.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

defiantgiant posted:

No, he'll draft a fullback because of explosive measurables or athletic potential or something. And then there'll be a press conference where he spends like 20 minutes discussing their advanced composite athletic index for fullbacks.

...just kidding Phil, oh god please never leave us. Jerry Angelo drafts were an exercise in humiliation and rage every April.

Also, I have no earthly idea what Emery's going to do - on defense, especially. There's so much that could change between now and then depending on what happens with the vets. Like, if Melton comes back from his ACL and they re-sign him, maybe we don't go DT early. If they keep Peanut for another year, maybe we can draft a developmental corner in the middle rounds instead of Justin Gilbert or somebody in the 1st. If neither of those guys comes back and we lose Tim Jennings and Corey Wootton, too...who knows, maybe we have to draft for nothing but defense in rounds 1 through like 6. It's going to be such a rebuilding project on defense this offseason.

It's nice to finally have faith that our front office is going to make good picks, though. Like, yeah Shea McClellin could have been Chandler Jones, and that would have been awesome in retrospect, but I can't get mad at anything Emery wants to do after the Jeffery and Long picks. Apart from Matt Forte, I can't think of a single player Angelo drafted on offense who ever worked out the way those two have so far.

EDIT:

I would love to see an undersized DT like Aaron Donald or Will Sutton fall to the 3rd round. A good sub-package rusher could make a huge difference for the Bears in third-down defense. I can't count how many times I've seen them get a team in third-and-long this year, then get no pass rush and give up a 15-yard completion. Melton and Sutton as the nickel DTs would be pretty :black101: if Sutton drops back down to 285 pounds or so.

I have no idea how our salary cap situation is going to look, because there is so much that needs to be addressed. It is clear we need to address our secondary, and defensive lines across the board. Tillman and Jennings will likely price themselves out, there is a good chance Peppers is cut in the offseason. With Wright, Melton and Wooten as free agents, it is hard to know what he is going to target.

That also doesn't talk about the offensive issues that need to be addressed this offseason. How they handle Cutler is going to really determine how everything else falls apart, but Garza and Slauson are both free agents, and we definitely need to get Slauson resigned. Also, the question on whether Marshall gets extended is a legitimate one.

This offseason is going to be a very interestin one for the direction of this franchise. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Brannigans Law posted:

I've noticed that Ekpre-Olomu's stats have dropped significantly this year. People who watch Oregon, is this because QBs aren't throwing at him, or was last season a fluke?

The former. He's still really, really good.

Terrence Mitchell, the corner opposite him, has a ceiling almost as high as Ifo's and he might declare for the draft this year as well.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Frank Clark is having himself a game.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah, I bet you guys were all bent out of shape that KC was on top of things and jumped in to grab...

Jon Baldwin? Jesus gently caress Pioli.

Even tempered bewbies flipped his poo poo at that pick too.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
If anyone is watching Oregon - Arizona Mariota is playing like absolute garbage, no accuracy and a noodle arm.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's nearly the end of the season so who's ready for scout over-hype??

quote:

NFL.com's Charles Davis has heard "chatter" that some think Michigan State senior CB Darqueze Dennard is "as good a corner as they've seen since Deion Sanders."

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

commy gun posted:

Even tempered bewbies flipped his poo poo at that pick too.

This piqued my curiosity so I went back and looked at my hard hitting commentary:

bewbies posted:

I don't like the Chiefs pick at all. I'm glad we were able to trade down, but I did not think Baldwin was a 1st round prospect. He's very similar to Bowe and I'm not sure exactly what the plan is for him in the offense, unless our plan now is just to throw every ball high and hope for the best. Would have very much preferred a guy like Justin Houston or Brooks Reed at that point.

I....really liked Justin Houston. So I guess I can't be THAT upset....

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean, I totally get the pre-draft hyperbole (and actually kind of love it truth be told) but somone really just picked probably the best college corner and maybe the best overall corner prospect of all time as a comparison. Alright.

In honor of this comparison I feel we should all go look at the 1989 draft and salute our monitors.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 24, 2013

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

bewbies posted:

In honor of this comparison I feel we should all go look at the 1989 draft and salute our monitors.

Fuckin Cowboys traded the rights to Steve Wisniewski to the Raiders on draft day? I did not know that. Goddamn, life was trying hard to make them even more dominant than they ended up being. Wis-Stepnoski-Allen in the middle. :stare:

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 24, 2013

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Remember when the Seahawks had a Top 5 pick for the first time in forever, and they used that pick on a can't-miss sure-fire linebacker who would lead the defense to glory?

Good times.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, it's been a rough road for the Seahawks. They really needed to nail that pick.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Their defense is in shambles :smith:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's not that he's as good as Deion, it's that he has put up literally the best average yards allowed per game since Deion.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
Awesome my Superbowl thread is up.

Do you think it's a definite for the Jaguars to draft Bridgewater assuming they wind up with the 1st overall? If not where are you leaning?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

himurak posted:

Do you think it's a definite for the Jaguars to draft Bridgewater assuming they wind up with the 1st overall? If not where are you leaning?

I think it's close to definite that they go QB in some fashion, although which one is still up in the air a little bit. Bridgewater is the favorite right now but things always get muddled after the season is over and he's not a surefire thing like Luck.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Arschlochkind posted:

Raiders W L
Jaguars W L
Patriots L
@ Jags L?
@ Colts L
Broncos L
@ Titans W?

:effort: So, uh...

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

first of all flip @Colts to a W

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Rap posted:

first of all flip @Colts to a W

Did you not notice the @ part?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Been thinking about the Raiders draft...
1st: Clowney if we get so lucky/ Sammy Watkins first choice or Marquise Lee
2nd: OG

And use that sweet salary cap pile of money on a good DL

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Paperback Writer posted:

Been thinking about the Raiders draft...
1st: Clowney if we get so lucky/ Sammy Watkins first choice or Marquise Lee
2nd: OG

And use that sweet salary cap pile of money on a good DL

I think all the analysts saying the Raiders should grab a receiver in the 1st aren't paying attention. Denarius Moore has blown up this season, but it's not getting any recognition because he's not putting up numbers in bulk given he's catching the ball from two rookies. Streater is Pryor's favorite receiver, and he's always in position to make a play even though he was a UFA just last season. Andre Holmes played so good in training camp that he got suspended for the first 5 games of the season, and they still kept him signed as a UFA until he came back, and threw him right on the field. He's playing great. Brice Butler looked like our annual 4th round steal in preseason. Criner could still develop. I mean if it's a generational prospect, sure, but Lee or Watkins are just going to be competing for time with everyone else, and slightly younger and behind.

I think McKenzie will probably be looking for a "difference maker" in the front 7. Anthony Barr and CJ Mosley stand out. With the cap space, they can afford to sign another Pat Sims caliber dude or two, and a DE if they don't get Clowney or Tuitt. Then like, 2 guards, a free safety, a running back to "compete" with Jennings and Murray, and some more defensive depth. Other than that they could pretty much roll with what they've got and I'd expect them to be in playoff contention week 17, and have plenty of cap space left to resign the real talent among all those kids long term. Coordinators and coaching staff are all good for once too, so there'll probably be some continuity next season. I want to see who wins the QB competition next preseason.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 25, 2013

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I kinda agree with what you're saying, but I just think Streater and Moore are great #2 receivers... we need someone who can really dominate. Watkins might be that guy. Maybe not his first year but it could be worth it.

But yeah a pass rusher is also right up there in needs. I wish there was a more enticing FA class this year.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Eric Ebron officially declared today. This could be the best TE class in a while.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Volkerball posted:

I think all the analysts saying the Raiders should grab a receiver in the 1st aren't paying attention. Denarius Moore has blown up this season, but it's not getting any recognition because he's not putting up numbers in bulk given he's catching the ball from two rookies. Streater is Pryor's favorite receiver, and he's always in position to make a play even though he was a UFA just last season. Andre Holmes played so good in training camp that he got suspended for the first 5 games of the season, and they still kept him signed as a UFA until he came back, and threw him right on the field. He's playing great. Brice Butler looked like our annual 4th round steal in preseason. Criner could still develop. I mean if it's a generational prospect, sure, but Lee or Watkins are just going to be competing for time with everyone else, and slightly younger and behind.

I think McKenzie will probably be looking for a "difference maker" in the front 7. Anthony Barr and CJ Mosley stand out. With the cap space, they can afford to sign another Pat Sims caliber dude or two, and a DE if they don't get Clowney or Tuitt. Then like, 2 guards, a free safety, a running back to "compete" with Jennings and Murray, and some more defensive depth. Other than that they could pretty much roll with what they've got and I'd expect them to be in playoff contention week 17, and have plenty of cap space left to resign the real talent among all those kids long term. Coordinators and coaching staff are all good for once too, so there'll probably be some continuity next season. I want to see who wins the QB competition next preseason.

I would keel over if Oakland drafted another Alabama LB in the top 10

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel like I should stop dreading it and just embrace the Carr experience again.

Unlike the Dolphins, when we drafted David Carr we actually DID draft the Carr family!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Paperback Writer posted:

I kinda agree with what you're saying, but I just think Streater and Moore are great #2 receivers... we need someone who can really dominate. Watkins might be that guy. Maybe not his first year but it could be worth it.

But yeah a pass rusher is also right up there in needs. I wish there was a more enticing FA class this year.

Top ten defensive lineman is much better value than top ten receiver. Especially since there is no AJ Green in this draft.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
There's no AJ Green but there's like 10 Brandon Marshalls.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Which QB prospects for the upcoming draft are considered good at progressing through their reads (e.g. not zoning in one on receiver presnap and instead being able to hit their 3rd or 4th options if they are open)? I'm not sure what to think of the QBs after Bridgewater. Mariotta scares me and I haven't seen enough of Hundley to have much of an opinion on him. I know it is a deep QB class, so at least there are options, but with Frazier likely on the way out at the end of the season, it's hard to predict what scheme they will be running.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aniki posted:

Which QB prospects for the upcoming draft are considered good at progressing through their reads (e.g. not zoning in one on receiver presnap and instead being able to hit their 3rd or 4th options if they are open)? I'm not sure what to think of the QBs after Bridgewater. Mariotta scares me and I haven't seen enough of Hundley to have much of an opinion on him. I know it is a deep QB class, so at least there are options, but with Frazier likely on the way out at the end of the season, it's hard to predict what scheme they will be running.

This is a pretty tough thing to judge obviously but I'd say Bridgewater, McCarron, and Carr could list this as a strength. Mariota too possibly; he does the zone read as well as it has ever been done and that sort of awareness could easily end up transferring to a more traditional offense.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bewbies posted:

This is a pretty tough thing to judge obviously but I'd say Bridgewater, McCarron, and Carr could list this as a strength. Mariota too possibly; he does the zone read as well as it has ever been done and that sort of awareness could easily end up transferring to a more traditional offense.

It is a tough thing to judge. Bridgewater would be my ideal pick, but there's obviously no guarantee that the Vikings will be able to get him, especially with a tie that ruins all tie breakers. Carr may be interesting. Smaller school guy, whose brother was a former #1 pick, and he seems to be moving up the boards now. McCarron seems solid enough, but I'm not sure if he's a franchise guy. Mariota's frame scares me, it just seems like a QB with a slight frame who runs a lot is asking for injuries. His proficiency with the read option indicates that he's able to make quick reads, but whether that transfers to him being able to make reads down field remains to be seen. Ideally, I'd like them to find a patient QB, that is able to go through his reads and not just make one or two reads and panic when he doesn't see what he wants. I guess that's code for someone who is the opposite of Ponder.

eaglesmerlin1
Mar 29, 2010

Kirios posted:

I feel like I should stop dreading it and just embrace the Carr experience again.

Unlike the Dolphins, when we drafted David Carr we actually DID draft the Carr family!

Seth Payne will tell stories on how the whole Carr family would show up to David's practice, not just pre season or anything but a common thing.

They should make him wear #8 :smith:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Aniki posted:

It is a tough thing to judge. Bridgewater would be my ideal pick, but there's obviously no guarantee that the Vikings will be able to get him, especially with a tie that ruins all tie breakers. Carr may be interesting. Smaller school guy, whose brother was a former #1 pick, and he seems to be moving up the boards now. McCarron seems solid enough, but I'm not sure if he's a franchise guy. Mariota's frame scares me, it just seems like a QB with a slight frame who runs a lot is asking for injuries. His proficiency with the read option indicates that he's able to make quick reads, but whether that transfers to him being able to make reads down field remains to be seen. Ideally, I'd like them to find a patient QB, that is able to go through his reads and not just make one or two reads and panic when he doesn't see what he wants. I guess that's code for someone who is the opposite of Ponder.

Mariotta strikes me as one of those guys who at this point is spoken in that 2nd to 3rd round range, possibly higher if he finishes strong only for him to tumble into late 5th round territory the moment the real scrutiny starts. He's got good numbers and a nice reel but he won't be able to make the plays he does at the collegiate level in the NFL his frame is too small to handle the punishment he'll take and it's at least a three year project in terms of development. He's got the mental ability I would think but I think most teams will be scared off because of his frame and the system. He'e had some major inconsistencies with his arm of late too.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah, this WR draft is loving awesome

Also taking Watkins over Lee would be a real ghost of al davis thing to do

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I want Marquise Lee so bad and it makes me feel dirty because I loving hate the Trojans.

We'll never get in range to draft him though so it's a moot point.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

BlindSite posted:

Mariotta strikes me as one of those guys who at this point is spoken in that 2nd to 3rd round range, possibly higher if he finishes strong only for him to tumble into late 5th round territory the moment the real scrutiny starts. He's got good numbers and a nice reel but he won't be able to make the plays he does at the collegiate level in the NFL his frame is too small to handle the punishment he'll take and it's at least a three year project in terms of development. He's got the mental ability I would think but I think most teams will be scared off because of his frame and the system. He'e had some major inconsistencies with his arm of late too.

I think this is pretty much exactly right.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grozz Nuy posted:

I want Marquise Lee so bad and it makes me feel dirty because I loving hate the Trojans.

We'll never get in range to draft him though so it's a moot point.

I want Lee and Allen on the same team :allears:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

The Puppy Bowl posted:

And what round was Marshall drafted in? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I want Lee and Allen on the same team :allears:

I would think you would want some corners worth a drat first, but my fetish for drafting DBs is well documented.

• Locked thread