Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Not sure if that's a step up or a step down for the Russian mafia. :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I know, those poor Chinese people.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't get it. What is terrible about a Volvo?

Here, have an old terrible car photo blatantly stolen from ricecop.com
edit: didn't upload. Use imgur instead.Weird rear end attachment system.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

CharlesM posted:

I don't get it. What is terrible about a Volvo?

i dunno, i feel like volvos shouldn't be made in china

donut
Feb 4, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

I found the article that picture is from, looks like they're following BMW, Audi, and Mercedes-Benz' lead, so it's hardly a bold move. What surprises me more is that they're all long-wheelbase versions of what Americans would consider the "small" sedan from their respective manufacturers, when typically the chauffeur-driven versions are only made from the very biggest sedans.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

donut posted:

I found the article that picture is from, looks like they're following BMW, Audi, and Mercedes-Benz' lead, so it's hardly a bold move. What surprises me more is that they're all long-wheelbase versions of what Americans would consider the "small" sedan from their respective manufacturers, when typically the chauffeur-driven versions are only made from the very biggest sedans.

Long wheelbase is a status symbol there, and there's apparently a market for long wheelbase cars that aren't the top end model.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

atomicthumbs posted:

If you want to sell cars in China, the Chinese government requires some of the manufacturing to be done in China.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Long wheelbase is a status symbol there, and there's apparently a market for long wheelbase cars that aren't the top end model.

A lot of well-off people in China have chauffeurs and sit in the back, hence they want the LWB with the more spacious back seats. You don't even have to be super-wealthy, just upperish-class. Labor is cheap in China.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's kind of like how a car that's LHD can be a status symbol in Japan, to the point of people buying cars like Mercedes in LHD despite a RHD version of the same car being available. It's a mirror image of the JDM nonsense you see people go batshit for in the west, only more likely to involve respectable monied individuals rather than teenagers with fartcans and stupid suspension.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nothing tops the JDM Toyota Cavalier. They even had a TRD version with a custom body kit. :allears:

For the uninitiated, no, I'm not joking.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

Nothing tops the JDM Toyota Cavalier. They even had a TRD version with a custom body kit. :allears:

For the uninitiated, no, I'm not joking.

Last time this came up I found a website from some Japanese guy who was cataloguing his experience with his Cavalier. Google Translate probably isn't the best indicator but he was excited for its raw earth-shaking performance and muscle car good looks. Then he was upset at the cost of parts and shipping. Lots of pictures of meets with other Cavaliers.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well they were only sold in Z24 trim, and the 155 ft-lbs of torque at 2400rpm was nothing to sneeze at compared to what most Japanese cars managed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Friend of mine spotted this in a junkyard today.

Let's play "spot the fuckup"...

That's a 97 or later jeep wrangler TJ. Some moron thought it'd be a good idea to swap leaves on.
They appear to have left the stock upper control arm bracket and control arm in place for who knows what reason. They're just sorta flapping around.
WAY too much lift from the shackles, those will fold over easily, even with that pipe crossbar, which will just limit suspension articulation.
Front suspensions should never be lifted with blocks due to axle wrap while braking.
Pinion angle is... :wtf:
Related, the caster is extremely bad. That thing is going to steer horribly, if it was going to be driveable at all.
I'm not sure how they planned on connecting the steering drag link but every way I can see would involve some really incredible ghetto fab (welding some goofy poo poo to the knuckle or likely a "custom fabricated" drop pitman arm), a "z-link" linguini drag link, or interfering with the leaf springs.

Fortunately it ended up never being finished and going to the junkyard.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

Well they were only sold in Z24 trim, and the 155 ft-lbs of torque at 2400rpm was nothing to sneeze at compared to what most Japanese cars managed.

Yeah the 2.4 would be pretty big for a car that size. I imagine that most contemporary models might have a 1.8L-2.0L in the top spec, with smaller sizes for most common models.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

Friend of mine spotted this in a junkyard today.

Let's play "spot the fuckup"...

[spoiler]
That's a 97 or later jeep wrangler TJ. Some moron thought it'd be a good idea to swap leaves on.
They appear to have left the stock upper control arm bracket and control arm in place for who knows what reason. They're just sorta flapping around.
WAY too much lift from the shackles, those will fold over easily, even with that pipe crossbar, which will just limit suspension articulation.
Front suspensions should never be lifted with blocks due to axle wrap while braking.
Pinion angle is... :wtf:
Related, the caster is extremely bad. That thing is going to steer horribly, if it was going to be driveable at all.
I'm not sure how they planned on connecting the steering drag link but every way I can see would involve some really incredible ghetto fab (welding some goofy poo poo to the knuckle or likely a "custom fabricated" drop pitman arm), a "z-link" linguini drag link, or interfering with the leaf springs.
o/spoiler]

Fortunately it ended up never being finished and going to the junkyard.

Can we just have a whole thread for " kastein rips apart shotgun 4x4 builds?" These posts are always such a joy to read.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Yeah the 2.4 would be pretty big for a car that size. I imagine that most contemporary models might have a 1.8L-2.0L in the top spec, with smaller sizes for most common models.

In Japan they probably would've been even smaller; in the US our lowest-end models often are specced equivalent to mid-range models elsewhere.

I remember at one point someone managed to get the GM part number for the Toyota badge on that car - and actually managed to order it through a US Chevy dealer for shits and grins, just to have a Toyota badge inside of a GENUINE GM PARTS bag.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BobHoward posted:

If you want to sell cars in China, the Chinese government requires some of the manufacturing to be done in China.

well there's that, and the fact that Volvo Cars is a Chinese owned brand/company.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

IOwnCalculus posted:

In Japan they probably would've been even smaller; in the US our lowest-end models often are specced equivalent to mid-range models elsewhere.

Only sort of - the engines are generally smaller but they are also generally higher output.

The equivalent Toyota would have been either a Levin/Trueno with the 20v 4AGE or a Curren with a 3SGE both of which are a fair bit quicker (if much peakier) than those Cavaliers (which incidentally are fairly common grey imports where I am in NZ)

e. Also those Japanese market Cavaliers were all automatic which didn't help things at all

dissss fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 24, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's what I mean by the most common models, but they sometimes offer the same engines as U.S. in higher trim models / limited edition models. I only know about Mazdas but for example you could get the 1.8L BPZE Protegé, and the 3 had the sp23 for the 2.3L, although as noted a slightly higher specific output / redline etc. But yes the base models are lower output; the Protegé had a 75hp 1.3L in some models, etc.

Slightly more off topic, I can't state it empirically but it seems like the Japanese like automatics a lot too. They also seem to smoke in their cars a fair bit. This is just observation from riding in a tourbus and looking out the window though.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
"The name's Woo. Dae Woo."

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That dude was probably cool as poo poo.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CharlesM posted:

Slightly more off topic, I can't state it empirically but it seems like the Japanese like automatics a lot too. They also seem to smoke in their cars a fair bit.

Yeah that's definitely true - its quite hard to find ex-Japan manuals which is a shame as a lot of the higher performance engines (like the DOHC VTEC Hondas or Twin Turbo Subarus) are much better with a manual.

The smoking thing is just gross though - my car must have been smoked in in Japan and you can still tell 7 years later.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

That dude was probably cool as poo poo. a used car dealer.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Ahhhh, just got back from Florida where I saw all kinds of terrible (automotive) things.

This is what won though...

The best part is what was actually stacked, theres two dogs and two cats in that pile, when the wind blew the whole thing swayed all over the road.

I guess if you're gonna be a scooter tramp it might as well be somewhere warm.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have to give that guy some credit. That's a pretty impressive feat. Not in a good way, but wow.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
My former cycle asylum days tells me that man is living the dream I had when I was 24.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tbb9 posted:

Ahhhh, just got back from Florida where I saw all kinds of terrible (automotive) things.

This is what won though...

The best part is what was actually stacked, theres two dogs and two cats in that pile, when the wind blew the whole thing swayed all over the road.

I guess if you're gonna be a scooter tramp it might as well be somewhere warm.

Where in Florida is that? I always see people riding their motor scooters on the shoulder because they can't keep up with traffic when I'm driving to Miami Beach.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hey, road salt crew.

CHILL THE gently caress OUT WITH THE SALT.

This was one day, the truck was clean when i started the day. this is why we can't have solid older cars :argh:

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
Caught this on tumblr, the story is a bit oddly worded, but the pictures do most of the talking:

quote:

A Utah man recently sold this ‘56 Hudson on E-Bay , The-out-of-state buyer arranged for pickup with a car transport company. When the truck arrived the seller informed the operator that the car did not run, had no brakes, no emergency brake and park was broken in the transmission to which the operator replied

"We load these non-ops all the time, no problem." So the seller stands back and watches as an assistant climbs into the car and the operator begins to maneuver the car forward on the truck using the hydraulic ramps to roll the car forward a little bit at a time by tilting the ramps.

The seller was a little nervous about this procedure and suggested that they might use a safety chain to hold the car back “just in case”. The operator thought that was a swell idea and attached a chain to the rear of the car and then proceeded with the tilt and roll program.

Soon the car is up over the cab and as it nears the front of the ramps the chain comes up short so he stops and puts some slack in the chain. As all this is going on, the seller wants to take some pictures of the loading process, but his cell phone’s memory is full, so he begins to delete some pictures as the car is almost in place.

Just then the car rolls forward a little bit fast, pulls the chain tight and then bounces back just enough for the chain to unhook and fall off. A bystander yells “There she goes!”

The car drops of the front of the ramps and lands on the frame, then slides forward a bit and teeters like its going over, then rocks back down, then rocks forward again and off she goes. So the seller raises his camera and catches the shot of the car just as it goes off the front of the transporter.

Check out the body language of the operator, and just imagine what the guy in the car was thinking! I’ll bet he was pumping that limp brake pedal like crazy. The car hits nose first and then falls on its roof, crushing it pretty good and trapping the driver inside for a few minutes.

The seller calls 911 and of course every emergency vehicle in the county comes to see what happened. Five police cars, two fire trucks, an ambulance, and a wrecker.

Unfortunately the car’s driver suffered a broken arm, but it could have been worse. After things calm down (i.e. Everybody stops laughing and wipes the tears out of their eyes) the tow truck driver says that there isn’t enough room to turn the car over where its at, and besides, he’s heard how good the car rolls and since they are on a hill, he wants to lessen the potential carnage the car could cause if it got away again, so he just drags the crushed Hudson onto his wrecker upside down.

To see the wrecker drive away with the dead Hudson, “tires up” was a somber sight.

Don’t cry to many tears for the Hudson, it was pretty rough. Rustier than it looks in these pics. This just slightly sped up its earthly journey to the recyclers.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Hey, road salt crew.

This was one day, the truck was clean when i started the day. this is why we can't have solid older cars :argh:

My loving sunroof has salt. It's plus loving seven today. I'm going to spend a month in the car wash tomorrow after work.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The last sentence of step 7 is special :allears:

Your car won't actually become a submarine. I once drove my '71 Nova through (standing) water up to the doors (the low-lying intersection was flooded and the only way to get around it would have been to drive 12 miles back to the town I came from and take the other road, which was probably entirely washed out at that point); it floated, and only momentum carried me through. I've gotten cars going sideways on ice, and there is a surprising difference between "no traction" and "the rear tires are only touching the road because of unsprung weight." It was surprisingly anticlimactic.

On the other hand, I've driven that car with no brakes when one wheel cylinder blew its seals. The only thing the brake pedal did was make it pull slightly to one side. Engine braking with a 2-speed automatic is surprisingly effective, by the way. The Powerglide shifted up at around 70mph at WOT; manually downshifting at any speed with foot off the pedal was like tossing out an anchor.

Ygolonac posted:

Found elsewhere...

Reminds me of the spike ball in Offroad Velociraptor Safari.

Shifty Pony posted:

Lots of paintjobs in the 90s were awful, something about VOC requirements. Every manufacturer it seems hosed it up in some unique way. Late 90s Hondas with green and black paints invariably have massive clearcoat peeling for example.
Early '90s Fords had a similar problem; the clearcoat just sprang off the hood and roof after a few years. Oddly, the sides were fine, only the surfaces parallel to the ground peeled.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 25, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I didn't know that VW Beetles were allergic to shellfish.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wow, they really will make that kit for any car.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rhyno posted:

Wow, they really will make that kit for any car.

And just when you think it couldn't look worse, they stick it on a Beetle. :smith:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
That looks like a pacman ghost with Down's syndrome.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Where in Florida is that? I always see people riding their motor scooters on the shoulder because they can't keep up with traffic when I'm driving to Miami Beach.

It was in a state park in Ft. Lauderdale, only a 20mph speed limit in the park but I'm not sure how he ended up there....

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

Hey, road salt crew.

I'm so glad they only use Mag-Chloride and gravel down here. gently caress salt. Although the mag chloride does wonderful things to aluminum.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Powershift posted:

Hey, road salt crew.

It's times like this that I'm glad my state doesn't use a whole lot of road salt, jesus.

Forgot I had this picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Powershift posted:

Hey, road salt crew.

Yeah this. I've been having to spray down the car daily. Our salt spreaders are putting down WAY too loving much. You can see it all embedded into tyre treads, on the roofs of cars...

Saw at least 4 cars yesterday that had so much salt and muck sprayed up their backs you couldn't see their lights or reg plates.

Falken fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 25, 2013