Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
It kinda sucks being a fan of Nurgle fluff when the only Legion to fall to him alone has gotten :effort: amounts of characterization, both before and after the Heresy. They're...uh...dudes who like to mess with poison, and are pretty fatalist and determined I guess? This sums up Mortarion too. At least if you bring in Plague Marine characterization you get the standard Nurgle jolly fatalism, warped affection, and "you have to laugh or else you'd cry forever" humor.

There's a lot of untread ground that's just ripe for both pathos-laden history and the bizarre cheeriness of Nurgle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

UberJumper posted:

Thanks i will borrow it from my coworker tomorrow, so i read it after i finish up Shadows of Treachery.

I am curious which primarchs really haven't been fleshed out at all yet? The only ones i can think of left would be:

Dorn, Khan, Mortarion?

*EDIT* I just noticed apparently Laurie Goulding posted a list of when the primarchs were found:

From: http://z13.invisionfree.com/The_First_Expedition/index.php?showtopic=136&st=15

Which kind of goes against what some of the HH books say. :negative:

Howeever apparently Black Library is actually rewriting/fixing a lot of the past continuity errors in the books?

Isn't Russ the one who says "We don't talk about it" in one of the HH books? The common belief is Russ had to kill/sanction one or 2 of the missing primarchs and the Ultramarines absorbed the legions.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

VanSandman posted:

Kurze can see a little bit into the future. Hard to hit someone like that.
Also he's evil Batman.
Also he knows he's in hostile territory, whereas Roboute got ambushed at point blank range by Alpha Legion Elites.

I suppose, but just after finished reading Vulkan Lives, and seeing how badly Konrad gets stomped it just struck me as odd. The way Abnett describes Kurze fighting his brothers in the Unremembered Empire is totally different to the point where he seems like a different character. I mean we have seen some crazy stuff from the Primarchs, but I think I rolled my eyes a tad when Kurze pulls the whole been fighting this entire time, but really I had just been placing these 78 grenades "exactly as planned!" poo poo. He might as well be Nicolas Cage's character from the movie Next.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Uroboros posted:

He might as well be Nicolas Cage's character from the movie Next.

If there was a movie of Conrad Kurze played by Nicholas Cage with the same hair he had in Next I would watch the ever-loving hell out of it.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The point of Kurze and The Night Lords in general is that they're really tough but in a fair fight they'll always eventually lose. I won't delve too deep into the Night Lords because ADB does it better, but Kurze HAS actually gotten his rear end kicked by his brothers before, and he was losing to his two brothers in this latest instalment. It's also fairly canon that the guy loves setting traps and being a loving troll to his pursuers, but when you finally corner him he will eventually fold. I mean, he was trapped on The Lion's ship because he got his poo poo kicked in by the Lion not just once but twice in the same (awesome) short story that everyone should read ("Prince of Crows").

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Compared to a normal human, they're both loving tanks, why are you comparing tanks to humans?
Because Uroboros questioned how Curze could kill "hundreds of Space Marines" and take on two primarchs - to use your analogy, I was comparing Space Marines to tanks (Primarchs,) I just wasn't clear about it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Fried Chicken posted:

Ferrus Manus is the big one. Guy gets about zero screen time and loses his head.

Alpharius kinda, since the book is about the mystery around them, not about them. You come out of it not knowing poo poo. Which I admit, was part of the point. But still.

Are there any Heresy books that focus on the Iron Hands that are worth reading?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

Are there any Heresy books that focus on the Iron Hands that are worth reading?
No. But there haven't been any HH books focusing on the Iron Hands. They pop up from time to time, but they aren't the focus. "Feat of Iron" in The Primarchs, but that was pretty meh. There have only been a few regular books to feature the Iron Hands: Iron Hands is one, but I think it wasn't that good. Wrath of Iron is a SM Battles book, and appears to be better, but still isn't HH.

Honestly, I don't think they would make for particularly exciting reading, unless you're dealing directly with Ferrus Manus. They're pretty standard SMs, with maybe a little more of a tech bent. They don't get to be crazy cyborgs until after the Heresy. I think the best Iron Hands story is the one where they liberate a factory/prison and "save" one of the administrators, but then turn him into a servitor, because there is not greater honor, right? I can't remember the name of that one though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Uroboros posted:

I suppose, but just after finished reading Vulkan Lives, and seeing how badly Konrad gets stomped it just struck me as odd. The way Abnett describes Kurze fighting his brothers in the Unremembered Empire is totally different to the point where he seems like a different character.

I haven't read Vulkan Lives, but I'd chalk this up to Vulkan Lives being a lovely Nick Kyme book.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Khizan posted:

I haven't read Vulkan Lives, but I'd chalk this up to Vulkan Lives being a lovely Nick Kyme book.
Then you'd be wrong - it's not that bad of a book. Kyme actually did a decent job with it. And Kurze doesn't really get beat down, but he does get off-footed because he wasn't expecting Vulkan to be able to rally at that point.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Khizan posted:

Eisenhorn.

Eisenhorn is still pulpy as gently caress. And yes yes this is WH40k and pulp is to be expected but ADB's stuff inevitably delivers excellent character arcs in a way Abnett can't reliably do.

Abnett's comics are pretty great, though. I really liked his Mr Majestic series.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Then you'd be wrong - it's not that bad of a book. Kyme actually did a decent job with it. And Kurze doesn't really get beat down, but he does get off-footed because he wasn't expecting Vulkan to be able to rally at that point.

"It's also a hammer." actually made me chuckled out loud (while secretly shouting "gently caress yeah!" in my head).

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

pentyne posted:

Isn't Russ the one who says "We don't talk about it" in one of the HH books? The common belief is Russ had to kill/sanction one or 2 of the missing primarchs and the Ultramarines absorbed the legions.

Yeah that's been hinted at countless times, Russ is the Executioner. I seem to recall reading awhile ago that in one of the shorts (about malacador and his aide?) there is a wall of the primarch symbols, and one is appears to be scratched out, and the other is just faded.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
I tough angel exterminatus was kind of bad over all. Its something to do with Mcneill and the emperor's children. The way he writes them just seem obnoxious to me especially Fulgrim. Though those little glimpses into the 1st minutes of life of Manus, Perturabo, and Fulgrim were kind of interesting.

Perturabo was ok, but his character felt kind of one note to me. Like hes always dour and grumpy. I get that it does give a certain contrast when he makes jokes or whatever, but there wasn't enough of a light-hearted side to him to warrant that in my opinion.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I tough angel exterminatus was kind of bad over all. Its something to do with Mcneill and the emperor's children. The way he writes them just seem obnoxious to me especially Fulgrim.

It has to do with the perfect perfectness of their perfect perfection.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 23, 2013

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

I tough angel exterminatus was kind of bad over all. Its something to do with Mcneill and the emperor's children. The way he writes them just seem obnoxious to me especially Fulgrim. Though those little glimpses into the 1st minutes of life of Manus, Perturabo, and Fulgrim were kind of interesting.

Perturabo was ok, but his character felt kind of one note to me. Like hes always dour and grumpy. I get that it does give a certain contrast when he makes jokes or whatever, but there wasn't enough of a light-hearted side to him to warrant that in my opinion.

Not to mention it seemed like the whole venture was for naught. I still don't get why the one Eldar lead them there, and why the other one was trying to help the loyalist stop him. Fulgrim's plan failed/succeeded it really didn't make a bit of drat sense.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Uroboros posted:

Not to mention it seemed like the whole venture was for naught. I still don't get why the one Eldar lead them there, and why the other one was trying to help the loyalist stop him. Fulgrim's plan failed/succeeded it really didn't make a bit of drat sense.

They were trying to manipulate the legions into fighting past the guardians of the tomb world, after which they would betray the primarchs (in some nebulous and undefined fashion) and take the soulstones. It wasn't a very good plan in the first place, but hey, it's Dark Eldar. They have trouble when not led by someone who scares the piss out of them.

Of course, this is also the species whose home world is lit by the black light of seven stolen suns within its own artificial pocket universe, so they don't have to plan very well. They were just up against two of the most ridiculous guys ever, and Fulgrim was favored by Chaos

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

wiegieman posted:

They were trying to manipulate the legions into fighting past the guardians of the tomb world, after which they would betray the primarchs (in some nebulous and undefined fashion) and take the soulstones. It wasn't a very good plan in the first place, but hey, it's Dark Eldar. They have trouble when not led by someone who scares the piss out of them.

Of course, this is also the species whose home world is lit by the black light of seven stolen suns within its own artificial pocket universe, so they don't have to plan very well. They were just up against two of the most ridiculous guys ever, and Fulgrim was favored by Chaos

Has anyone ever written an Eldar betrayal plot that wasn't some comical gently caress-up? For as much as the Eldar are masters of fate and planning every attempt they make to stop something big ends up ruining their poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

pentyne posted:

Has anyone ever written an Eldar betrayal plot that wasn't some comical gently caress-up? For as much as the Eldar are masters of fate and planning every attempt they make to stop something big ends up ruining their poo poo.

Lord of the Night. Spoiler block because it's an actual plot twist.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

I just got started on that one and it does feel that way. I have to say that I liked Fulgrim's entrance with the hideous carnival of frenzied, altered people; it felt like a Hyeronimus Bosch scene. But Perturabo is very one-note so far and the story's flow is...odd.

I could just be that after reading enough of the HH books, you realize that the stakes are actually quite low; we all know who lives and who dies, who loses and who wins. When authors try to artificially inflate it with doomsday cenarios (Will they obtain the McGuffin that erases whole sectors?) instead of strong characterization all around (Does Lotara survive the final battle? Does Variel hunt after Talos' slaves? Does Alizabeth Bequin recover?), the whole thing wears thin fast.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Have you read Betrayer yet?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Of Galaxy in Flames, Battle for the Abyss, Fulgrim, The Primarchs, Age of Darkness, and Vulkan Lives which 2 should I read next? I feel like I've been through all the "good" novels, and I'm just waiting now. :/

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Fulgrim doesn't suck.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Fulgrim and Galaxy in Flames are really the only ones of those I'd recommend reading. Neither are perfect but they had their moments.

Don't worry man, soon we'll have a whole year of new Abnett and ADB.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Waroduce posted:

Of Galaxy in Flames, Battle for the Abyss, Fulgrim, The Primarchs, Age of Darkness, and Vulkan Lives which 2 should I read next? I feel like I've been through all the "good" novels, and I'm just waiting now. :/

Fulgrim is a pretty good book, and does a good job describing a legions descent into chaos. Age of Darkness has a few good short stories, it isn't downright terrible like The Primarchs.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
At least read the short story compilations as many of the short stories are fairly excellent.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Are there any decent books about the Lion?

All through Unremembered Empire Guilliman was talking about about how awesome and amazing generally badass the Lion was, but all I've really ever heard about him here is that he has the Emperor's autism etc etc.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Waroduce posted:

For the love of all that's holy, avoid Battle for the Abyss. If you've read Unremembered Empire, Vulkan Lives is the story a couple years before it.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

Since Galaxy in Flames was part of the initial trilogy of books, i would recommend you read that one. As for Battle for the Abyss i would skip that. Though i think its still worth experiencing, if just to understand why people think its so bad.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Khizan posted:

Are there any decent books about the Lion?

All through Unremembered Empire Guilliman was talking about about how awesome and amazing generally badass the Lion was, but all I've really ever heard about him here is that he has the Emperor's autism etc etc.

Its funny because the Lion has had, 2 books, and i think 4 short stories about him and his legion. They have all been more or less not that great. His motivations are never really explained, and his characterization is iffy.

I too want one good book about the Lion.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

UberJumper posted:

Fulgrim is a pretty good book, and does a good job describing a legions descent into chaos. Age of Darkness has a few good short stories, it isn't downright terrible like The Primarchs.

Plus, if you make a drinking game out of taking a sip every time the word 'perfect' appears, you can get into the plot as a victim of excess unto death!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you try that you'll be unconscious by the end of the second chapter.

EDIT: Got curious and searched for "perfect" on my kindle, 37 hits. 17 of them are before the location that marks the start of Chapter Three.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 24, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

UberJumper posted:

Its funny because the Lion has had, 2 books, and i think 4 short stories about him and his legion. They have all been more or less not that great. His motivations are never really explained, and his characterization is iffy.

I too want one good book about the Lion.

Abnett perfectly characterized the Lion in The Unremembered Empire- he's secretive, he holds his cards too close to his chest and doesn't allow anyone to get close to him. His lack of trust of anyone else, even his own brothers, causes a like response in return that essentially creates a cycle of distrust. Gulliman says that Johnson has a little too much of the dark forests of Caliban in him for his own good.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Has anyone read Engine of Mork? Is it actually from an ork POV?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

berzerkmonkey posted:

Abnett perfectly characterized the Lion in The Unremembered Empire- he's secretive, he holds his cards too close to his chest and doesn't allow anyone to get close to him. His lack of trust of anyone else, even his own brothers, causes a like response in return that essentially creates a cycle of distrust. Gulliman says that Johnson has a little too much of the dark forests of Caliban in him for his own good.

I still do not understand what the dark forests of Caliban did to him that makes him not trust anyone. Honestly the one thing i still do not get really is his falling out with Luther. Aliens sneak bomb onto ship, Luther saves the day. His reward is he is more or less told to go back to Caliban.

I finished Shadows of Treachery, and honestly it was probably the best Anthology so far.

I didn't see this posted but, the next HH book is:

*EDIT*

Apparently Dan Abnett's next HH book is called "Dreadwing". Dark Angels :flashfap:

Also from Laurie Gouldings forum:

quote:

Vengeful Spirit (2014) by Graham Mcneill
The Master of Mankind (2014?) by Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Cybernetica (novella) (2014?) by Rob Sanders
Hunter's Moon (audio drama) (2014?) by Guy Haley
The Thief of Revelations (audio drama) (2014?) by Graham McNeill
Shattered Legions (anthology) (????) edited by Laurie Goulding
The Silent War (anthology) (????) edited by Laurie Goulding
Nightfall (????) by Aaron Dembski-Bowden
The Crimson King (????) by Graham Mcneill

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 26, 2013

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

UberJumper posted:

I still do not understand what the dark forests of Caliban did to him that makes him not trust anyone. Honestly the one thing i still do not get really is his falling out with Luther. Aliens sneak bomb onto ship, Luther saves the day. His reward is he is more or less told to go back to Caliban.

Caliban was pretty much soaking in some kind of chaos or warp influence when the Lion got there, it's implied that he had a pretty hard time surviving in the woods, fighting off chaos monsters for however many years it took for him to be found, so maybe it's an attempt to write in some kind of PTSD-type thing. Regarding Luther, I think his beef was that the Lion didn't explain the huge importance of the training duty enough, so he took it as an insult rather than the promotion it was.

The guy was told to watch over the expansion of the HQ, and train the next generations of recruits, for a legion like the Dark Angels, that's a pretty important job. There also seems to be a running trend of the primarchs' earliest supporters souring on the whole great crusade deal once they get out there and the legionaires start getting involved.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 26, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
^^Whoops, guess I should refresh after walking away for a while so I don't essentially repeat someone else...

UberJumper posted:

The only thing I can think of is that he is a feral "child" forced to survive on his own in a Chaos-tainted deathworld forest filled with monsters. Everything around you is trying to kill you, so I assume that would breed some sort of distrust.

Regarding the falling out with Luther, the Lion does share the blame, but it sounds more like the fault of Luther - he saved the day, but only after allowing the bomb aboard in the first place. Instead of taking his punishment, he let it go to his head, and wound up becoming corrupted by it. Plus, he wasn't a Space Marine anyway - he was a guy in power armor, like Kor Phaeron. And just like Kor Phaeron, he desired power and glory.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 26, 2013

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Regarding the falling out with Luther, the Lion does share the blame, but it sounds more like the fault of Luther - he saved the day, but only after allowing the bomb aboard in the first place. Instead of taking his punishment, he let it go to his head, and wound up becoming corrupted by it. Plus, he wasn't a Space Marine anyway - he was a guy in power armor, like Kor Phaeron. And just like Kor Phaeron, he desired power and glory.

Was he really power hungry? Kor Phaeron wanted to use Lorgar from the start, whereas Luther really was a father figure to the Lion until he surpassed him. And even then, he stepped aside. He also understood the Lion's isolation because he has no equals.

Luther would have been a giant in Caliban history. Possibly the greatest, strongest, wisest knight they ever had - but he had the misfortune of being born in a time where he would be compared with a goddam primarch. He had one moment of weakness where he saw the bomb in the hanger and thought about the possibility of what would happen if the Lion was killed. Then he got rid of it.

Of course, the Lion being a moody mistrusting sperg couldn't let it go - although on a second read the narator doesn't really know what was said between them. There must have been enough forgiveness to trust the running of Caliban and the training of the new blood to Luther, but he never fought alongside him again.

Reading the two HH books, I got the impression that the Lion was trying to distance himself from Caliban because he knew it was tainted. There was also the rumblings of revolt from those who wanted the old orders back. Luther was seen as a figurehead they could rally around.

The Lion seems to have taken on the Emperor's ability to completely neglect key people, so he left Luther on the sidelines to run the planet without him, deal with an uprising, deal with a chaos infestation, etc. Through all this, the Lion's favourites are out there on adventures while Zahariel and the old school knights are completely shunned after nothing more than a small skirmish (which I still can't remember because the end of that book is so bad).

In classic WH40k, the whole thing could have been sorted if they sat down with a beer and talked...

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Dog_Meat posted:

In classic WH40k, the whole thing could have been sorted if they sat down with a beer and talked...

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only mixed drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The thing with Luther being sent back to Caliban makes sense to me. Maybe I'm outing myself as an aspie, but sending your most trusted friend to keep an eye in things doesn't seem like the worst move.