Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

When I think of titles that need to be there on the U to get all the Nintendo crowd in and not just the super hardcore Nintendo dorks, I think Pokemon, a legitimate new Zelda, I think Metroid, I think Star Fox, I think F-Zero. None of those have a Wii U installment planned at this time. The system is not well represented by all of the franchises that bring Nintendo fans in. And as a result, many Nintendo fans' preferences are not being represented.

I guess you could also throw Kirby in there although I've always felt like that was never like a super huge selling franchise.

Wii Party U... I don't really know who that appeals to. It is already a homogenized abstraction from Mario Party. Game & Wario being what it is, is not a true Wario Ware sequel, so Wario Ware fans are left in the cold. There hasn't been a true Mario RPG on a console since the Gamecube.

I think it's not a problem of Nintendo games not selling, but that Nintendo is just not taking advantage of the enormous catalog of properties that they have that reaches out to many different types of fans and players, which don't always overlap. A Metroid fan might not even care about Mario but they'd care about a new Zelda title. A Smash Bros fan might not care about Metroid but they might care about Mario Kart. The only thing all of those fans have in common is they don't own a Wii U, because they're not represented.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles was $49.99 at launch. I don't recall the other two since I bought them later off Amazon.

Seems I got it 3 weeks to a month after it came out, they still had the cardboard standee up advertising it as an exclusive when I got it. I guess I figured it was brand new because it was a Tuesday.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

When I think of titles that need to be there on the U to get all the Nintendo crowd in and not just the super hardcore Nintendo dorks, I think Pokemon, a legitimate new Zelda, I think Metroid, I think Star Fox, I think F-Zero. None of those have a Wii U installment planned at this time. The system is not well represented by all of the franchises that bring Nintendo fans in. And as a result, many Nintendo fans' preferences are not being represented.

I guess you could also throw Kirby in there although I've always felt like that was never like a super huge selling franchise.

Kirby is actually more succesful as a franchise than most of Nintendo's stuff. It isn't Zelda/Mario/Pokemon level but it has done significantly better than Star Fox/Metroid/ect. It consistently sells well and is one of their most popular franchise with women gamers IIRC.

The Star Fox and F-Zero crowd are the super hardcore Nintendo dorks. Both those franchises were relatively mediocre sellers with one big shining success. (F-Zero original and Star Fox 64, respectively.) If you're a big Star Fox fan you're more likely to be a hardcore Nintendo fanboy than you are a casual gamer.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 23, 2013

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
At this point, I would be fine if we never get another Metroid game.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Harry posted:

Super Mario RPG was like $90, and pretty every N64 game was $60 or more.

Yeah, because they were on cartridges that required memory chips and occasionally special co-processors, not discs that cost around $1 to press and package.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TheEggsBenedict posted:

I'm pretty sure it was strongly hinted by Miyamoto that Retro would do the next Metroid game when Nintendo decides to do one. Don't panic just yet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Wii-U games are also 60 dollars which is way too much when you have comparable games also coming out for 60 bucks.

I've got well over 100 games for the gamecube and well over 100 games for the Wii, none of them ran 50 bucks when I got them, let alone 60. Even going back to my N64 and SNES collections none of them ran 50 or 60.

NES I don't remember, but if you were to get the first party titles now they wouldn't be worth all that much either.

If the Wii-U became the cheap system with cheap games that would help turn poo poo around probably. Outside of Monster Hunter I've yet to play a game on the system that felt like it justified the 60 dollar price tag.

So your argument is "I got these games used, on sale, or after they'd been out for a few years. How dare new games not on sale cost more than them"?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Well presumably Sakamoto is still in the Shame Car, so as long as he never touches another Metroid game again the series can only go up from here.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bruceski posted:

So your argument is "I got these games used, on sale, or after they'd been out for a few years. How dare new games not on sale cost more than them"?

No, it's just that 60 bucks is honestly too high a price for a game majority of the time and his could go for any system.

40 would probably be more reasonable considering what they're offering. Hell the 3DS games run for 30-40 bucks. Even a year out the Game's prices should fall, but they're still not budging by making most of them GREATEST HITS or whatever. Most of the stuff winds up at the sub 20 dollar price point at retailers anyways because nobody is buying them(i.e. ZombiU, Super Mario Wii U, Tank! Tank! Tank!, Nintendoland).

And then you have stupid things like the $120 version of Call of Duty:Ghosts.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 23, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Taint Reaper posted:

Even a year out the Game's prices should fall, but they're still not budging by making most of them GREATEST HITS or whatever.

Nintendo and other companies' various Greatest Hits programs are all about taking games that sold well and milikng them with a less expensive repackaging, so I have no idea where you got this particular idea from. Only time you should ever see a "greatest hits" "player's choice" etc game retailing for full price is when its a release that's putting together multiple standalone titles.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Yeah this thread definitely killed any desire I had to replace my 360 with a Wii U.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah this thread definitely killed any desire I had to replace my 360 with a Wii U.

Hatethreads will do that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Install Windows posted:

Nintendo and other companies' various Greatest Hits programs are all about taking games that sold well and milikng them with a less expensive repackaging, so I have no idea where you got this particular idea from. Only time you should ever see a "greatest hits" "player's choice" etc game retailing for full price is when its a release that's putting together multiple standalone titles.

But that's exactly what I'm saying.

Although at this point, you're more likely to see Game of the Year Editions put out by more companies after the season pass is up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Taint Reaper posted:

But that's exactly what I'm saying.

Although at this point, you're more likely to see Game of the Year Editions put out by more companies after the season pass is up.

And what's the problem then?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bruceski posted:

The Wii U is plenty unappealing by itself. This entire year should have been evidence enough of that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Install Windows posted:

And what's the problem then?

That Nintendo has yet to do it for their games which have been out for a year now. There's a good many launch window games that could benefit from it, the e-shop prices are still full MSRP.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Make sure you check out the SimCity thread where you will be advised to stay away from EA completely. The best advice in the thread is actually in the title!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I made the mistake of buying SimCity. They had the audacity to send me an email a couple weeks ago letting me know about all the "fixes" they'd made. Ugh.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Taint Reaper posted:

That Nintendo has yet to do it for their games which have been out for a year now. There's a good many launch window games that could benefit from it, the e-shop prices are still full MSRP.

Getting player's choice etc requires games to sell well. No Wii U games have sold well for a full year over the past year.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

I think Bulletstorm and Borderlands were the two games that successfully changed the formula established by COD4.

Bulletstorm let you do a lot more than sprint and shoot rifles, Borderlands not so much. They just put numbers on the rifles to make them seem different.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
A few pages late but I have to agree that MGR is really pretty great. So much better then the regular MGS games (seriously have no idea how people enjoy MGS4).

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Bruceski posted:

I don't see this thread as a hatethread. There are a ton of legitimate complaints in here. Nintendo has awesome software just not enough of it on the Wii U at this time to justify a purchase for most people who play video games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bruceski posted:

This thread has always been a "frank opinions about the console" thread. People aren't acting like they're going out of their way to hate it.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I made the mistake of buying SimCity. They had the audacity to send me an email a couple weeks ago letting me know about all the "fixes" they'd made. Ugh.

I pre-ordered the special edition and that still stings. The number of hours I've poured into SimCity in the last two decades is innumerable, and I wanted to like it so badly. But it sucks. Hard. I won't admit I pre-ordered it in that thread though. :v:

Thrillasaurus
Nov 19, 2013

ONE DAY MY LOG WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT THIS.
I've had my Wii for quite a while, and considered picking up the Wii U. What stopped me was the realization that I mostly use my Wii (I also a 360 and a bunch of older consoles) was the virtual market. I'm old and have a love of the games of my youth, and so the Wii has essentially ended up being a NES/SNES/N64 emulator. I'm just fine with that, because anytime my friends come to hang out, we inevitably blow the dust off the Wii and jump into Golden Eye or Mario Kart.

The honest truth is, I don't see Nintendo really getting any of the titles I know I'll actually want to invest time to play. I doubt Dark Souls II or Watchdogs is coming to the Wii U. I have a hard time putting down money on something that I know won't have many next gen titles that Sony or MS will have, and instead be stuck with hit-or-miss rehashes of the same franchises over and over again.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The Star Fox and F-Zero crowd are the super hardcore Nintendo dorks. Both those franchises were relatively mediocre sellers with one big shining success. (F-Zero original and Star Fox 64, respectively.) If you're a big Star Fox fan you're more likely to be a hardcore Nintendo fanboy than you are a casual gamer.

Star Fox has only had two good games (three if you count the unreleased Star Fox 2). The last good game came out in 1998, and the Star Fox characters are massively popular in the Super Smash Bros. series, so it shouldn't be left to rot just yet. I don't know how well the 3DS remake of Star Fox 64 did, but a next-gen version on the Wii U could be fun. They could have the regular third-person camera on the TV, a first-person view from the ship on the GamePad, and you could have the option of moving and tilting the gamepad to control your ship like that boss minigame from Wario Ware Smooth Moves.

F-ZERO has had six games, although most people only think of the three console ones. The last GBA one was never released outside of Japan, nor was the expansion to F-ZERO X. According to Wikipedia, F-ZERO GX sold just over 100,000 copies in Japan, and qualified for Players' Choice (at least 250,000 copies sold) in both Europe and the US, so it must have sold at least 600,000 copies. Unfortunately, Amusement Vision, the developer behind F-ZERO GX and the Super Monkey Ball games, no longer exists, but I think we all know which developer would be awesome at this type of game.

Nintendo really need to diversify their games line-up, because I don't just want to play HD versions of the same games I bought on the Wii. They could get away with focusing on casual games for that system because of how many of them bought it, but for the Wii U they need to interest people who play video games instead. I haven't touched NintendoLand since the day I bought the system, nor New Super Mario Bros. U after I got 100%, so they need some games with real staying power.

Thrillasaurus posted:

The honest truth is, I don't see Nintendo really getting any of the titles I know I'll actually want to invest time to play. I doubt Dark Souls II or Watchdogs is coming to the Wii U. I have a hard time putting down money on something that I know won't have many next gen titles that Sony or MS will have, and instead be stuck with hit-or-miss rehashes of the same franchises over and over again.

Watch Dogs is coming to the Wii U, since Ubisoft has a pretty good partnership with Nintendo thanks to the obscene amount of money their dance games have made, but it looks like a joke compared to the actual next-gen versions. Assassin's Creed 4 looks fine on the Wii U because it's a current-gen game that's prettier on next-gen consoles, but Watch Dogs is a next-gen game that has to be trimmed down for the current consoles.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 23, 2013

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Thrillasaurus posted:

I doubt Dark Souls II or Watchdogs is coming to the Wii U.

Isn't Watchdogs supposed to be one if the few 3rd party games coming to the Wii U?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Quest For Glory II posted:

I still think there are a million more likely reasons why the Wii U is failing than this discussion and the primary one is still a complete lack of marketing and visibility to the mainstream. I may be a broken record about it, but even Reggie admitted it this week. They've been invisible since the Wii U launched, while Xbox is the official partner of the NFL, Playstation is the official partner of FIFA/EUFA, their ads are EVERYWHERE and Nintendo's aren't. I think it's as simple as that.

They're never going to climb out of this hole until they're willing to spend money to make money.

The Playstation and XBox divisions are not exactly making money either despite all they are spending. Sony has even said that they expect to break even with the gaming division this fiscal year because of all they marketing, R&D, and loss on every unit sold they will be incurring.

Now hopefully there will be a payoff in the long run, but there has been years of shoving the Playstation and XBox brands down our throat to make them a household name to finally get to this point. Neither company exactly comes out and says how much profit they are making. Microsoft has it all bundled in their Electronic Devices Division, and Sony is not even separating Vita and Playstation info anymore I think. Microsoft will say they made a Billion in revenue on XBox Live, but won't comment on how much profit it made.

Basically I don't think we'd be seeing things like XBox be the official gaming console of the NFL if it wasn't backed by the safety net of a 100 Billion WIndows division.

Sony is going through the exact same poo poo Nintendo has with the Wii U with the Vita eating into all the good that the PS3 was doing. If Iwata said "I think we will be profitable this year" people would go nuts. The head of the Playstation division says it and people don't really care because it doesn't matter.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

That loving Sned posted:

F-ZERO has had six games, although most people only think of the three console ones. The last GBA one was never released outside of Japan, nor was the expansion to F-ZERO X. According to Wikipedia, F-ZERO GX sold just over 100,000 copies in Japan, and qualified for Players' Choice (at least 250,000 copies sold) in both Europe and the US, so it must have sold at least 600,000 copies. Unfortunately, Amusement Vision, the developer behind F-ZERO GX and the Super Monkey Ball games, no longer exists, but I think we all know which developer would be awesome at this type of game.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Retro Studios; they helped with Mario Kart 7, so it's not like it'd be their first racing game.

Of course, I've accepted at this point we're never going to see another F-Zero. I'm honestly interested in Mario Kart 8 just because it looks like the next best thing, but then again that would require me to get a Wii U.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Star Fox has only had two good games (three if you count the unreleased Star Fox 2). The last good game came out in 1998, and the Star Fox characters are massively popular in the Super Smash Bros. series, so it shouldn't be left to rot just yet.

I don't think it should be left to rot, the question is just "how do you make it profitable?"

The entire reason they started trying to diversify the Star Fox franchise is that the core Star Fox gameplay wasn't something that could sustain a console game. Even Star Fox 64 got a lot of bad press for being so short, despite its replay value and alternate stages. Finding a good niche for it is harder than it looks, and their experiments with diversifying the gameplay have been... less than successful.

I do agree that Star Fox isn't ready to be put out to pasture yet but it seems like it is more destined for handheld or downloadable titles more than a big budget console game.

F-Zero had six games but overall those six games were some of Nintendo's least successful. The original F-Zero was a pretty big hit but the sequels have all sold decreasingly less. The problem is that it falls into the wacky area where it's probably not profitable enough to justify a modern console budge and devoting a development team to it that could instead be devoted to franchises that sell much much better.

In the case of both franchises, they probably have a market, it just becomes a question of if they have a market big enough to justify a console game's budget and development time.

Thrillasaurus posted:

The honest truth is, I don't see Nintendo really getting any of the titles I know I'll actually want to invest time to play. I doubt Dark Souls II or Watchdogs is coming to the Wii U.

Watch Dogs was confirmed for the Wii U ages ago.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 24, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The press is loving stupid and retarded and that hasn't changed.

Star Fox has near infinite replay value.

Its the same thing, as you mentioned with MGR, derided for being short even though its a lot longer than that, same with Vanquish, its stuff made for repeated playthroughs and score attempts.

As for diversifying, they just didn't get any aspect of it right, they try to change things up but end half-assing it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

No, but cherrypicking a Platinum game and a low-budget minigame collection and going "see, nobody buys Nintendo games anymore" is a pretty flawed premise. Nintendo has a handheld system where their games are still selling immensely well. Even the most rehash of the rehash New Super Mario Bros. games (2) did 6 million copies on the 3DS.
I don't see how I'm cherrypicking when I listed at about half of Nintendo's 1st party WiiU retail releases, and considering the post that started this specified consoles, I don't see how you're inclusion of their handheld is meaningful. Nintendo 1st-party software, aside from one title, has sold at best mediocre for the WiiU and has failed to drive WiiU hardware adoption. That Nintendo 1st-party handheld software has driven hardware adoption (although outside of Japan there's been a severe contraction) points more to their teams being able to deliver quality and value at certain markets but not in others.

install windows posted:

Getting player's choice etc requires games to sell well. No Wii U games have sold well for a full year over the past year.
No, getting player's choice only requires the platform holder to authorize that a title be given a player's choice label. It's completely divorced from any metric of quality, although I would hazard that traditionally it's been used on games that were at least above average in quality. Nintendo, particularly during the Wii years, frequently dismissed putting their games in a Player's Choice line (although they eventually would) on the basis that their games should sell without discounts, IP devaluing, etc. Which is true for their big mega games like Mario/Kart/Party which traditionally do continue to sell decent numbers at full price throughout the generation but completely wrongheaded when dealing with smaller IP that need the attention (Excite Truck, Punch-Out, S&P2, etc) and don't command full price.

quote:

Watch Dogs was confirmed for the Wii U ages ago.
Watch Dogs was also confirmed as a PSBONE launch title ages ago. Things change, and if they had any meaningful amount of work left to get the WiiU version finished there's a real chance they won't bother because it's simply not worth it barring some amazing reversal.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 24, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I think that the core gameplay of Star Fox is fine, it's just for whatever reason we haven't gotten any of it since 1998. Assault had like 1 straightforward Arwing mission and then replaced it with on-foot/vehicle hopping gameplay that wasn't nearly as compelling, and the DS Star Fox was a repetitive arena shooter that controlled like rear end. And in both cases it suffered from major Sonic syndrome where they kept adding more and more characters and an overwrought story that nobody cared about :furcry:

Shoot-em-ups are fairly rare as is, ones with decent production values that aren't top-down bullet hell shooters targeted at autistic Japanese people are almost nonexistent. If they tacked on an experience/unlock system like Panzer Dragoon Orta or Call of Duty and had variable difficulty levels they could appeal to just about everyone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zachack posted:

I don't see how I'm cherrypicking when I listed at about half of Nintendo's 1st party WiiU retail releases, and considering the post that started this specified consoles, I don't see how you're inclusion of their handheld is meaningful. Nintendo 1st-party software, aside from one title, has sold at best mediocre for the WiiU and has failed to drive WiiU hardware adoption. That Nintendo 1st-party handheld software has driven hardware adoption (although outside of Japan there's been a severe contraction) points more to their teams being able to deliver quality and value at certain markets but not in others.

Because the argument "this game isn't selling well, ergo Nintendo must be not be able to make good games" is flawed on a number of levels and ignores the various factors that would make even a good game fail to sell well. They are inarguably unable to drive system sales but it isn't as simple as Nintendo just no longer making good games that people want to play.

Nintendo games drive system sales but this doesn't exist in a vacuum. The Wii U is hemorrhaging third party developers and pretty much every single bit of press it has gotten in the last 6 months is negatives. That has a serious depressive effect on sales. On top of that there are two serious competitors who are offering higher power experiences for a competitive price and with those third party developers to boot. These are serious market pressures on the Wii U which are a major contributing factor to its failure.

Good games are absolutely essential to selling a system but it isn't a case of "this game isn't selling systems, nobody must like it, Nintendo must not be able to make good games anymore and need to change things up." The problem is that the games they are making are not good enough to overcome all the negatives that the Wii U otherwise has. This is a serious problem that Nintendo faces but it doesn't go hand-in-hand with the games no longer being marketable in a vacuum.

That is why I said it is the system that is the problem. Nintendo can still sell their games on handhelds and odds seem extremely good that if you released New Super Mario Bros U on the PS4 and X-Box One it would sell hand over fist. They just can no longer hold their own in the console market without some sort of major restructuring. Their problem is that they either need to seriously reevaluate their place in the console market or they need to get out.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think that the core gameplay of Star Fox is fine, it's just for whatever reason we haven't gotten any of it since 1998. Assault had like 1 straightforward Arwing mission and then replaced it with on-foot/vehicle hopping gameplay that wasn't nearly as compelling, and the DS Star Fox was a repetitive arena shooter that controlled like rear end. And in both cases it suffered from major Sonic syndrome where they kept adding more and more characters and an overwrought story that nobody cared about :furcry:

The core problem with the gameplay is that rail shooters, by their nature, need to be designed around being short but replayable and that is increasingly a market that doesn't play well with full-budget console releases. Handheld or downloadable titles are a lot more welcoming to short score attack games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 24, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Zachack posted:

Watch Dogs was also confirmed as a PSBONE launch title ages ago. Things change, and if they had any meaningful amount of work left to get the WiiU version finished there's a real chance they won't bother because it's simply not worth it barring some amazing reversal.

Not sure what you are talking about...

http://nintendoeverything.com/ubiso...or-the-console/

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I'm not really sure that I 'get' all of the people trolling about 'yet another Mario' game regarding the flagship titles (Galaxy 2, SM3DW). From a Gameplay perspective the mechanics and level design of SMG2 offers a diversity of challenges that are not even remotely approached by the likes of Bioshock or Little Big Planet. Every level explores a different gimmick or twist on the core mechanics (which are rock solid) while never dwelling on them long enough to become unwelcome.

That said I have not played 3D Land or any of the Wii U titles so maybe things have stagnated since Galaxy 2?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I'm not really sure that I 'get' all of the people trolling about 'yet another Mario' game regarding the flagship titles (Galaxy 2, SM3DW). From a Gameplay perspective the mechanics and level design of SMG2 offers a diversity of challenges that are not even remotely approached by the likes of Bioshock or Little Big Planet. Every level explores a different gimmick or twist on the core mechanics (which are rock solid) while never dwelling on them long enough to become unwelcome.

That said I have not played 3D Land or any of the Wii U titles so maybe things have stagnated since Galaxy 2?

The big complaint about the Mario titles are the New Super Mario Bros. games, which are the 2D Franchise entries. The first NSMB for the DS was an intentional throwback to the original Mario games, copying their designs, levels, and only with a few new power ups. It had been years since a 2D Mario games was released and so it was a nostalgic throwback to the pre-3D era. It also sold around 30 million copies, way more than any of the 3D Marios, which is basically an explanation for everything that follows.

Every single NSMB game since then has been the same thing to some degree. New Super Mario Bros Wii introduced multiplayer, which was generally praised but had little impact on the level design. NSMB2 was NSMB1 but with a goofy score attack mechanic. SMBWU was a more refined but otherwise very similar kind of game. They tend to follow the same patterns, the same general aesthetic, the same enemies, and are in many ways very similar games defined by only one or two gimmicks and a new power up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 24, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

MixMasterMalaria posted:

LittleBigPlanet isn't a good example, because I have played some amazing user-made levels that have challenging platforming and puzzles. You don't even have to sift through all the bad ones any more since Media Molecule do a really good job of promoting the best levels.

There have been enough really good Mario ROM hacks to show that a level editor would be a great inclusion to the Mario series. We're no longer limited to SRAM on cartidges, or tiny memory cards, so storage isn't an issue.

ImpAtom posted:

Every single NSMB game since then has been the same thing to some degree. New Super Mario Bros Wii introduced multiplayer, which was generally praised but had little impact on the level design. NSMB2 was NSMB1 but with a goofy score attack mechanic. SMBWU was a more refined but otherwise very similar kind of game. They tend to follow the same patterns, the same general aesthetic, the same enemies, and are in many ways very similar games defined by only one or two gimmicks and a new power up.

Exactly. There have been so many Mario games recently that pay homage to games like Super Mario Bros. 3, or Super Mario World, but is anyone ever going to be nostalgic for New Super Mario Bros. 2? I can't even remember what the final boss of NSMB U was, although the Wii's one was quite good.

Back on the DS, a brand new 2D Mario game was a big thing, since the last one had been Super Mario Land 2 on the Game Boy. Now they're so ubiquitous and interchangeable that we're dying for the 3D games to come back.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 24, 2013

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

They just can no longer hold their own in the console market without some sort of major restructuring. Their problem is that they either need to seriously reevaluate their place in the console market or they need to get out.

I honestly don't think this is the problem..
I think Nintendo had bad priorities for the Wii U, and launched too early in a gamble to be first out the door.
The priorities seem to have been:
Keep it low powered (in a power draw sense)
Keep the same architecture for easy Wii compatibility
Tablet controller / 2 screen gimmick

This design goals have not delivered a system people want, and that cannot compete with the true next gen systems.

I think the problems with the launch were:
Missing games people want: Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda, Metroid, etc - a year in and we have a zelda re-release and SM3DW just came out..
Only 1 game that Nintendo thought people would want: New Super Mario Wii U - predictably, nobody was rushing out to buy the system for another 2d Mario..
Low-quality system firmware - still can't play Wii games using the tablet controller (although it seems you can view them on the tablet, you can't control it with the tablet still)

Nintendo hosed up massively this time around but I don't think that means that Nintendo could not have been competitive this generation with the right choices..
Well, perhaps not to sell the most systems but they could have done a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

Nintendo hosed up massively this time around but I don't think that means that Nintendo could not have been competitive this generation with the right choices..
Well, perhaps not to sell the most systems but they could have done a lot better.

I agree, but that's part of what I mean by major restructuring. They really needed to rethink how they approached a system.

• Locked thread