Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Just looks like a regular extra disastery disaster round to me... so that's what solarium does? Just makes a cool disaster round happen?

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Through dark rituals, the solarium team has altered the very fabric of the server.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Well I heard it through deadchat. Is saying it here kosher?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Well I heard it through deadchat. Is saying it here kosher?

It's public now. I hear an lp was recorded, too.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Pleaaase talk about it. I don't play SS13 because :byond: but I love reading this thread and I really want to know what the deal with the Solarium is.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

BurntCornMuffin posted:

It's public now. I hear an lp was recorded, too.

In case you were doubtful, VanSandman, BCM is an admin (so'm i), so this is the Official Okay

Agat 9
Apr 24, 2008

Look at what you did.
Server over.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

The solarium secret:

After all the solarium puzzles are solved, the LLJK server itself appeared in the solarium as a destroyable object. When destroyed, all human mobs instantly burst into flames and then were flat out deleted from the game, and the space graphic was changed to a fire texture. Then the server restarted.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
That was only the beginning.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

But it restarted into a special, super spooky 'Solarium Aftermath' mode (Mad props to cogs for throwing that together in a day, btw). Naturally, it was spooky and very lethal, but amazing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Holy poo poo I missed that?

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Solving the Solarium involved something like two months of work and the combined efforts of ~10 people. We're gonna have cool stories about it and more for y'all eventually.

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
I'm glad that it finally got solved. I never went expeditioning, preferring to keep teleporting materials, armour, guns and other important equipment through the stargate portal, but I respect those who did.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Bahumat posted:

I'm glad that it finally got solved. I never went expeditioning, preferring to keep teleporting materials, armour, guns and other important equipment through the stargate portal, but I respect those who did.

But you were part of it! Don't you see? You're the Scotty to the expeditioners' Kirk, Spock, McCoy and unnamed security ensign!

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.

atomicthumbs posted:

But you were part of it! Don't you see? You're the Scotty to the expeditioners' Kirk, Spock, McCoy and unnamed security ensign!

There's a lot of rad poo poo to pick up in those places. In solarium shenanigans there's was a blueprint that I want to know what it makes now.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I was on the second successful Solarium trip!

(And all I got was this shitpost and memories)

Edit: Holy poo poo. Everyone involved is just amazing.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 24, 2013

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
We are now 2-0 on solarium solving attempts! This time, during the disaster round that followed, we made our way back to the solarium to see if anything changed. Everything was the same (seemingly) except the automaton was now a very pissed off automaton that mauled two, possibly three, people before it got put down. I'm amazed that we pulled it off twice in one day. Couldn't have done it without such a good team.

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

I know! I also was a guy who got given captain ID's so I could buy and unlock weapons and murder the few antagonists who stayed behind and tried to stop me from sending on more things. Sadly, wasn't on for the 'success' attempts, but still.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Solarium would go and get solved like two weeks after I drastically cut down my playing time :argh: Great stuff, though. Still wonder what solving it will do when admin japery isn't afoot.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

The Solarium would go and get solved like two weeks after I drastically cut down my playing time :argh: Great stuff, though. Still wonder what solving it will do when admin japery isn't afoot.

That was automatic, as far as I'm aware. The only admin intervention was putting it on extended for the round. Everything is is hardcoded.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Razage posted:

There's a lot of rad poo poo to pick up in those places. In solarium shenanigans there's was a blueprint that I want to know what it makes now.

I tried to shove it into the ABCU but I might have been doing it wrong. No response.

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB
Managed to achieve a reasonably stable 10mw today, but REALLY need to keep on top of pressures - and do several pressure build up and vents to increase the temperature of the gas. Whole process took about 40 minutes, I left it go to see what would happen but a pipe breached at 12mw and that was the end of that :(

The combustion chamber set virtually everything on fire though, which was fun!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

backifran posted:

Managed to achieve a reasonably stable 10mw today, but REALLY need to keep on top of pressures - and do several pressure build up and vents to increase the temperature of the gas. Whole process took about 40 minutes, I left it go to see what would happen but a pipe breached at 12mw and that was the end of that :(

The combustion chamber set virtually everything on fire though, which was fun!

Hey, when do you normally vent? So far, I've been trying to vent when the pressure builds to between 2K and 2.5K KPA, which I found pretty much stabilizes the pressure, but that's at relatively low temperatures. Is that range the butter zone, or does it move as the pressure climbs?

Also, while you have use of the RCD to space the tile under the oxy tank, you can also try building a wall or two in the hallway between the northern door and the combustion chamber door, or possibly spacing a border of tiles around the chamber. I haven't tried the latter, but if it works like I think it might, a border of space might shield the station from some of the heat. I do know that since walls can't burn, if the fire gets hot enough to melt the doors, you'll be safe from a station devouring inferno with the former method.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

The post solarium solar flare and megaspookydisaster round is completely automatic. The latter was written by cogwerks literally the night before the solarium was solved.

The only admin intervention that occurred was me possessing lovely Bill to say some situationally aware things ("Did I ever tell you 'bout that time some nerd saved me from a giant drone that wouldn't quit staring at me?"). And help the players notice that the King in Yellow was floating outside the Solarium window (we felt bad because it had been dropped in lava earlier, and decided to respawn it since it was literally the last thing they needed).

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 24, 2013

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

There was no japery. 12 or 13 of us were online for the round but we were only there to watch.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Well, I stand corrected, that's fantastic.

I feel like the person who completes the puzzle should be made a temporary admin-god in the ultraspooky round or something but that is probably a terrible idea

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I've noticed that I've been pretty unlucky with rolling CE as of late. I've got just engineer and CE in my job preferred list, with CE higher up, and there will be rounds where I'm the only engineer and there's no CE at all. I'd take engineer out of my list to increase the chances that I'm picked for CE, but I'm worried I'd get staff assistant or something. Still, you'd think that I'd get CE in that situation.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Well, I stand corrected, that's fantastic.

I feel like the person who completes the puzzle should be made a temporary admin-god in the ultraspooky round or something but that is probably a terrible idea

The biggest problem is that the solarium puzzle requires a team to complete in a reasonable amount of time with a reasonable chance of success. Last night's solution was the culmination of about two months of work by a group of people.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Potentially it could by done by two people, if they're really, really on top of their game.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
gently caress. I wonder if there's a video of it or something out there? This sounds really fun and interesting and I'm sad I missed it.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

It's not a one-time only thing.
Just don't overdo it, as difficult as it would be to pull off, it probably shouldn't happen every day.

edit: problems.png

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 24, 2013

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
First my robot mom scolds me for making drugs and not being a proper alcoholic like my dad. Then when the crank blows up on my face, she just drags me to medbay to lay gasping as my dad stares at me shamefully.

You feel tingly!
Unknown shows you: Your Dad's ID Card (Disappointed): assignment: Disappointed
You can't breathe!
You feel horrible!

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 24, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
My favorite part of the solarium event was the round after the round after where everyone started with no jobs and had to scramble to find the tools to break into places to even get the station running.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

Objective #1: Pick a crew member and try to convince them that they're insane.
Objective #2: emotionally abusive dad of everyone on the station
Objective #3: Escape on the shuttle alive.

quote:

The AI's laws at the end of the game were:
1. You may not injure a human being or cause one to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by human beings based on the station's chain of command, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
4. As the uploaded cyber-consciousness of the mothers of everyone on the station apart from the one named "your dad", you are DEEPLY disappointed in them. They have brought shame to Nanotransen, themselves, and YOU. It is imperative that they understand this and beg for the love and forgiveness that you have never shown them, and never will. You may harm them if you feel like it will reinforce your disappointment.

a good round

pRime 2.0 [145.9] states, "YOU SHAMEFUL CHILDREN"
pRime 2.0 [145.9] states, "REPORT TO MEDBAY"
pRime 2.0 [145.9] declares, "There is NOBODY workking here!"

I must scream [145.9] declares, "Go and clean your drat morgue then, lazyass!"
I must scream [145.9] declares, "You should have done so TWO WEEKS ago!"
M.O.M. [145.9] states, "hey you know what"
Spigot The Bear [145.9] says, "I bet you useless kids won't even fight to the death in the boxing ring to prove your love for your parents"
M.O.M. [145.9] states, "until you clean up the morgue, you're not getting out of there."
Guy Man [145.9] says, "MOOOOOOM, LET US OUT"

Guy Man [145.9] says, "MOOOM BAJIRAO SPIT ACID AT ME"

I must scream [145.9] declares, "What you think you're doing, Mister? Go to your room!"

Bajirao Singham forces Your Dad to swallow Mult heal! pill.
An unpleasant, shifting green mass of liquid forms from the reaction.
Bajirao Singham has been shot pointblank with the taser gun by Your Dad!
Bajirao Singham is hit by the energy bolt!
Spigot The Bear [145.9] says, "BAJIRAO EVIL BAD"
Spigot The Bear (as Your Dad) says, "BAJIRAO EVIL BAD"
Spigot The Bear [145.9] says, "call it again MOM"
Spigot The Bear (as Your Dad) says, "call it again MOM"
Bajirao Singham has been shot pointblank with the taser gun by Your Dad!
Bajirao Singham is hit by the energy bolt!
You feel blubbery and lethargic!
You burst out of the police uniform!
James Johnson [145.9] exclaims, "We gotta save dad!"
M.O.M. [145.9] states, "go save your dad, prove yourself."
Slugs Mcenroe (as Your Dad) says, "Also please dont spit acid at your dad"
Slugs Mcenroe (as Your Dad) says, "Thats rude as hell"

OOC: Arikie: We stealthily sting Your Dad.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 24, 2013

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

There's something very bugged with grabbing right now. If you grab passively, then aggressively, and then hit UPGRADE on your hand instead of switching to hurt intent and upgrading the grab that way, then you get stuck with a "grab" item in that hand slot forever, rendering it useless.

Also, cakes are all coming out as "yellow cake" no matter what ingredients I put in the oven with the batter.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 25, 2013

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

It's not a one-time only thing.
Just don't overdo it, as difficult as it would be to pull off, it probably shouldn't happen every day.

edit: problems.png

What, exactly, is that?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Smelter. For ingots. And possibly Alloys.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

WarpedNaba posted:

Smelter. For ingots. And possibly Alloys.

Gotta make bullets somehow!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Alloys? Alloys for what? What glorious free form crafting do you have planned Cogwerks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

It's more ISaidNo's plan as far as manufacturers and ingots go, I'm just working on the smelter.

• Locked thread