Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

That would be ideal. So it wouldn't' be "free" but it wouldn't take up one of your precious accessory slots.

Agreed. I pretty much only use my GPS when I need to know the specific location of something and then put one of my real accessories back on. Otherwise, if I need a clock I just make a grandfather clock and put it wherever I need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

These are all great ideas that will never be implemented because the guy who makes this game thinks it's a swell idea to make us click constantly to swing any weapon. Quality of life improvements seem to be a the bottom of the priority list.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

There are a ton of weapons that swing constantly. He intentionally differentiates the ones that do or don't for balance.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Kly posted:

These are all great ideas that will never be implemented because the guy who makes this game thinks it's a swell idea to make us click constantly to swing any weapon. Quality of life improvements seem to be a the bottom of the priority list.

I... take it you haven't played any earlier versions of Terraria.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Had a quick question, I'm playing with a friend on a multiplayer server I'm hosting. Can I use the character from that server on a different world and take the stuff he has with him?

I mainly want to pillage ore from another world and bring it to my multiplayer one.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

TheChad posted:

Had a quick question, I'm playing with a friend on a multiplayer server I'm hosting. Can I use the character from that server on a different world and take the stuff he has with him?

I mainly want to pillage ore from another world and bring it to my multiplayer one.

Unless he's using server-side characters from TShock then yes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

mr. mephistopheles posted:

There are a ton of weapons that swing constantly. He intentionally differentiates the ones that do or don't for balance.
And how is making the Terra Blade not autoswing balancing it, for instance?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Swords suck at endgame, for real.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

It reduces its DPS in practice and occupies the player more with using it so it's harder to use than something you can just hold down the mouse button for.

Hummingbirds posted:

Swords suck at endgame, for real.

The Horseman's Blade owns.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Well it was the strongest sword in the game for a period.

Although at this point it could use a boost that auto-swing wouldn't fill.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Kly posted:

Quality of life improvements seem to be a the bottom of the priority list.

You gotta be loving kidding.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm just saying that the un-upgraded earlier versions of the sword autoswing, but then when you upgrade it, it loses autoswing.
That doesn't seem like sensible balance at all.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm just saying that the un-upgraded earlier versions of the sword autoswing, but then when you upgrade it, it loses autoswing.
That doesn't seem like sensible balance at all.

You could say the same thing about the Muramasa -> Night's Edge "upgrade".

The problem is, the best guns and spells either autofire or are fire-and-forget (Megashark and Golden Shower in the first case, Magnet Sphere and Nimbus Rod in the latter) save for high loving explosives (read: the Stynger), and it seems to just be a point of fact that the only way to make a sword in Terraria not suck eggs is to give it auto-swing. Even pre-Hardmode, I was rocking a Spear and/or Enchanted Boomerang up until the point that I got a Muramasa.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Instead of using autoswing to "balance" things how about they adjust the speed of autoswing for all weapons to ACTUALLY balance them. How is "click faster!" balancing anything? I love the game but little quality of life things are not the focus. It took, what?, a year to add slopes and a reasonable crafting menu? If I had to choose one or the other I'd totally take a hundred more decorating items over those little QoL things but it'd be really nice to get both.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I just don't think removing autoswing is balancing anything, because autoswing doesn't affect the speed, damage output, or ability of a weapon. It just forces the user to click repeatedly and it's really boring and kinda cramps up your hand. It's not like slowing the sword down, it's just making it more obnoxious.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is not a nerf.

Grieving Achilles
Apr 13, 2010

watho posted:

It's a debuff! :D

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

watho posted:

survival of the fittest

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I killed the Wall of Flesh a couple days ago, and I'm now in hardmode.

Some random thoughts and questions:

This Golden Shower spell I crafted is amazing. And hilarious. It does less damage per hit than my Demon Scythe, but it hits more often, is easier to aim, and the debuff it provides makes more of a difference than I thought it would!

Pirate Invasions are a joke. The same trap that killed Goblin Armies kills Pirates with ease.

I got a really nice Cutlass weapon that I'm using as a backup for the Golden Shower. Thanks Pirates!

Twice now I've been assaulted randomly by hardmode bosses. Skeletron Prime and the Destroyer. Skeletron absolutely wrecked me, but I almost got the Destroyer. Is there a trick to summoning him deliberately? I'd love to try again with all my potions in effect.

I got the Frost Armor, but I've since crafted some Orichalcum armor. The boosts to my magic are, thus far, worth the reduced defense. Am I crazy for switching?

I noticed that the on-hit effects for both Frost Armor and Orichalcum armor are triggered by traps that I placed. That's kind of neat.

There's Crimson everywhere to the east! I read up and it looks like it spreads quickly now. I've read it won't spread through wood, but nowhere can I find how thick that wood needs to be. I've put a two-block-wide wooden barrier around my entire town on and below the surface. Is that enough of a barrier? Or does it need to be wider? I can do wider.

I have zero surface Hallow to play in. Almost all of the western part of my world is Jungle. There's a tiny patch of desert on one side (followed by what's left of my partially drained ocean) and forest on the other, but the rest is Jungle. Within the Jungle, I've found some underground pockets of what I assume to be Hallow, because the water turns magenta and there are occasional pockets of pearlstone or pearlsand. I want to kill some unicorns. Should I take some of the pearl blocks and make my own Hallow biome somewhere? I have some spare forest I can use.

There are no hardmode enemies in my dungeon. I've been through the whole thing on two separate occasions. Is there something I have to do to make them appear? Or does a new dungeon spawn in hardmode? Or is this a bug?

My Lihizard temple's door is still locked. Where can I get a key?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ConfusedUs posted:

There are no hardmode enemies in my dungeon. I've been through the whole thing on two separate occasions. Is there something I have to do to make them appear? Or does a new dungeon spawn in hardmode? Or is this a bug?

My Lihizard temple's door is still locked. Where can I get a key?
The answer to both of these is "Kill Plantera in the underground jungle".

ALso, the Scimitar is arguably the best non-spear weapon in the game, so good job.

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013
Guess I've got to build some kind of arena for the pumpkin moon. Attempted it with a godly paladin hammer and turtle armor and made it to the wave right before pumpking. Really underestimated it.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Did anyone else just get a LinkedIn friend invite from Redigit? I don't even have a LinkedIn account... Figure it's a spam thing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ConfusedUs posted:

Twice now I've been assaulted randomly by hardmode bosses. Skeletron Prime and the Destroyer. Skeletron absolutely wrecked me, but I almost got the Destroyer. Is there a trick to summoning him deliberately? I'd love to try again with all my potions in effect.

You can craft the summoning items on a Mythril or Orichalcum anvil. They all take copper/tin bars and iron/lead bars, so present any of those bars to the guide and he'll tell you the recipe. Note that each of the mechanical bosses can only be fought at night and leave or instakill you once dawn breaks, so you want to summon them at the beginning of the night.

ConfusedUs posted:

There's Crimson everywhere to the east! I read up and it looks like it spreads quickly now. I've read it won't spread through wood, but nowhere can I find how thick that wood needs to be. I've put a two-block-wide wooden barrier around my entire town on and below the surface. Is that enough of a barrier? Or does it need to be wider? I can do wider.

I've heard that the most the corrupted biomes can spread is across three spaces. If you wanna be perfectly safe make it four spaces thick, but I wouldn't worry too much. You'll get an NPC who sells a 2 plat item that lets you get rid of any encroaching biomes with ease.

ConfusedUs posted:

I have zero surface Hallow to play in. Almost all of the western part of my world is Jungle. There's a tiny patch of desert on one side (followed by what's left of my partially drained ocean) and forest on the other, but the rest is Jungle. Within the Jungle, I've found some underground pockets of what I assume to be Hallow, because the water turns magenta and there are occasional pockets of pearlstone or pearlsand. I want to kill some unicorns. Should I take some of the pearl blocks and make my own Hallow biome somewhere? I have some spare forest I can use.

Absolutely. It just takes a couple of stones to seed things, and honestly, there's little harm in spreading Hallow near your town. It makes NPCs more comfortable living there, and nothing that spawns can enter buildings or mess up your tiles. If you move the NPC I mentioned before into the Hallow, said 2 plat item will let you spread Hallow anywhere you'd like.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Kajeesus posted:

You can craft the summoning items on a Mythril or Orichalcum anvil. They all take copper/tin bars and iron/lead bars, so present any of those bars to the guide and he'll tell you the recipe. Note that each of the mechanical bosses can only be fought at night and leave or instakill you once dawn breaks, so you want to summon them at the beginning of the night.

I've heard that the most the corrupted biomes can spread is across three spaces. If you wanna be perfectly safe make it four spaces thick, but I wouldn't worry too much. You'll get an NPC who sells a 2 plat item that lets you get rid of any encroaching biomes with ease.

Absolutely. It just takes a couple of stones to seed things, and honestly, there's little harm in spreading Hallow near your town. It makes NPCs more comfortable living there, and nothing that spawns can enter buildings or mess up your tiles. If you move the NPC I mentioned before into the Hallow, said 2 plat item will let you spread Hallow anywhere you'd like.

To further this post, the Terraria wiki is overall pretty lovely, but it does list the crafting recipe for just about anything, including the mechanical summon items for those bosses. I wouldn't recommend trying to fight Plantera at all until you're comfortable killing at least a few of the other bosses. I was able to do it after I found a very large open area of the underground jungle near a bulb (the summon item is a pulsing bulb that spawns in the jungle after you kill a boss) and I had already crafted Hallowed armor at that point.

Keep in mind that using that biome spreading weapon gets costly; it costs 25 silver per ammo unit (blue solution to spread the hallow).

It was bad luck that you had your hallow spawn right on top of the jungle and therefore barely spawn at all. Take some of that pearlstone and pearlsand and plant it in a regular forest biome in a few different spots and hopefully it'll start to spread. Also, you might want to use bombs or dynamite and dig a wide vertical tunnel through the world from the surface to the underworld at the edge of the corruption/crimson, trying to keep all of it on the other side of the tunnel so it can't spread much further.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
What's so crappy about the Terraria wiki? I'm not saying it's the paragon of awesome websites or anything, but it's perfectly serviceable.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Personally I prefer it over the wikia one, except for the "trivia" sections which are usually pretty stupid.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Considering it, like most wikis, is filled by volunteers in their spare time who generally have no special expertise w/r/t writing... it's pretty drat good.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah, as far as wikis go the Terraria wiki is pretty good. Most range from "readable but uninformative" to "actual grilled poo poo".

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Hummingbirds posted:

Personally I prefer it over the wikia one, except for the "trivia" sections which are usually pretty stupid.

Just ignore the Trivia sections in any wiki, they're almost all pretty stupid no matter the game.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Hi, I'm new! :words:

Friend gifted me this game a short while back, and I'm enjoying this so so so much more than I ever did Minecraft. It's probably going to sound like heresy, but I'm enjoying the exploring and the adventuring a lot more than the digging and crafting. Delving into dungeons and going around to find rare items is really quite fun--even moreso considering the randomization means you have no clue what's coming up next.

I'm a bit confused about the whole "progression" thing, though. I really...have no goddamn clue what I'm supposed to do or where to go next, though some people have told me that's the charm of it. At the very least, I wish the guide wasn't so drat cryptic. :shobon:

In the meantime, here's a little mountain fortress-thing I made in a few hours. Monsters either spawn on top and then fall to the side, or they just make a gigantic uphill climb before thudding into the walls. A few friends keep warning me about a "blood moon" thing where monsters can break open doors, so hopefully this will keep them out of it.
Looking forward to expanding it, once I've been playing for more than a day and a half.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

TerminusEst13 posted:

Hi, I'm new! :words:

Friend gifted me this game a short while back, and I'm enjoying this so so so much more than I ever did Minecraft. It's probably going to sound like heresy, but I'm enjoying the exploring and the adventuring a lot more than the digging and crafting. Delving into dungeons and going around to find rare items is really quite fun--even moreso considering the randomization means you have no clue what's coming up next.

I'm a bit confused about the whole "progression" thing, though. I really...have no goddamn clue what I'm supposed to do or where to go next, though some people have told me that's the charm of it. At the very least, I wish the guide wasn't so drat cryptic. :shobon:

In the meantime, here's a little mountain fortress-thing I made in a few hours. Monsters either spawn on top and then fall to the side, or they just make a gigantic uphill climb before thudding into the walls. A few friends keep warning me about a "blood moon" thing where monsters can break open doors, so hopefully this will keep them out of it.
Looking forward to expanding it, once I've been playing for more than a day and a half.

If you put a background object next to the doors (table, chair, statue, etc) so they can only open 'out', you're safe from Blood Moon monsters.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

TerminusEst13 posted:

Go to dangerous places and get better gear. Use that gear to go even more dangerous places.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TerminusEst13 posted:

In the meantime, here's a little mountain fortress-thing I made in a few hours.

That's a cool fort design. It looks like you've got some good armor, so your next goal is probably to load up on bombs and go to the creepy biome. Head down the shaft(s) there until you find something ominous and glowing, and blast your way through the unminable blocks to get to it.

Also if you hit those stucco blocks with a hammer, you can turn them into ramps/half blocks and even out that jagged bump in your floor there.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Your trees on top of your house are too close together to grow. Each acorn needs a couple of empty blocks on either side. I don't know the exact number.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ConfusedUs posted:

Your trees on top of your house are too close together to grow. Each acorn needs a couple of empty blocks on either side. I don't know the exact number.
It's two. You can have one acorn every five blocks.

(It might actually be one every four. I forget.)

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Has anyone ever managed to completely excise the Hallow and the Corrruption/Crimson from a hardmode world? I'm looking for a challenge and wondering if that would be feasible.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ThirdEmperor posted:

Has anyone ever managed to completely excise the Hallow and the Corrruption/Crimson from a hardmode world? I'm looking for a challenge and wondering if that would be feasible.

It would take ages, but you could dig a series of vertical shafts and spray cleansing solution (or whatever it's caused) as you climb up or down. Make sure the shafts are too wide for it to spread through from the contaminated side.

I'm not sure how closely you'd have to space the shafts because I don't recall the range on the solution sprayer. Either way, that's way too much work for me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Leper Colon V posted:

It's two. You can have one acorn every five blocks.

(It might actually be one every four. I forget.)

It's every four. They need one block on each side free but they can't share a block with another sapling.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Since I'm still fairly new to the game, I could use some advice on my base. Or better, on how to handle overlapping biomes.

Okay, let me describe this.

Here is the base of my soon-to-be sky tower. It's still WIP and will be disconnected from the ground when the time for hardmode comes. My little shroom farm used to have enough blocks to count as a biome, but I fixed that before I took the screens. Now, as you can see, my tower is in a normal wood/forest/grass/whatever biome.

But when I jump up to this platform, the biome suddenly changes to jungle. Background gets more green, and the music also changes.

These four rows for my Moonglow farm, are the only jungle related thing in my tower. Is that really enough to count as a biome change?

Still counts as jungle.

When I reach this platform, the biome reverts back to normal. Is that just something that I have to deal with due to setting up my own farm? Would kinda suck, because I really don't like the jungle music!

And while we're at it, the inside of my tower is also pretty dark. I know that the outside is supposed to be much brighter, but it's pretty gloomy on the lower levels, and gets increasingly more bright the higher I go up. I just find that to be weird, because I think that I have spread around lightsources pretty equally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Instead of using the requisite dirt that they would normally grow on, mine some clay and make pots. Pots will still take the water/lava to mature waterleaf/fireblossom, but have the advantage of not needing to change your biome. Edit: Forgot to mention that they need seeds to be planted in pots, they won't just show up all by themselves like with dirt. But as long as you harvest only when it's an appropriate time (Blood moon for Deathweed, in lava for fireblossom, etc) you will always get seeds.

That said, once you get to hardmode you DO want a jungle biome somewhere near where a particular NPC can move in, as for a hefty chunk of change they'll sell you some of the best wings in the game if they're in the jungle biome.

• Locked thread